What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Talk - Features and Timing You'd Like To See (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Folks,

Branching off of our conversation started yesterday about asking questions, I wanted to focus a bit on Dynasty.

And please hear this - I'm asking for feedback here. This is not any offer to do all that's suggested. Not even close. I'm just trying to hear and understand what some of you like. Sometimes people view these things as if we don't do all the things suggested then we're "not listening" or "don't care". So please don't do that. 

But if you'd like to share some of the things you'd like to see for Dynasty Content, please do it here. So it's most usable, please use this format.

1. The feature (rankings, article topic, etc)

2. The time frames you'd like to see these.

3. If possible - specific examples with links of how you're seeing this done now in other places.

4.  How popular you think the feature would be with the broader dynasty audience. (Understanding most every guy on this board is nowhere near the "average" Dynasty player)

Thanks. Again, no promises at all that we can do more features. I wanted to give you guys a place to talk about what you'd like to see.

J

I'm interested in dynasty rankings, updated monthly perhaps, with a brief explanation for each player.  Nothing major but something that sums up why they have them where they do or perhaps why they have fallen or climbed.  Dynastyleaguefootball does it that way, not saying that is a great and reliable site but I like how that is done.  I would expect this to be very valuable for all dynasty players.  Would have to be rankings that are actually updated due to injuries, situations, and how things are playing out on the field.  Too many times you see 'updated' rankings on here and they are actually the exact same rankings from three months ago, even though many things have changed.  I don't expect rankings to change just because one guy blows up on a given week, but over the course of months a lot can change.  

Last edited by a moderator:
dynasty rankings, with anaylsis, where every staff member who does dyn rankings is obligated to update their rankings (with notes on movement) such that we have new rankings every other week. So if their are 4 staff members who do dyn rankings, they'd only need to update their rankings every 2 months, which I don't think is too much to ask.

There were Dynasty Movement articles last year where a couple of staff members listed a couple of players at each position that moved up or down in their rankings. Unless I missed something, there were no actual, full rankings attached to these articles, which I found weird since when talking about player movement in rankings, my first thoughts are, "ok, who did they just move above in their rankings? (or drop below)".

I think dynasty rankings, on a regular cadence, with commentary for player movement is the most broadly appealing feature that every single dynasty player would be interested in and isn't a "niche" request at all.

thanks for asking. (guess my thread with your and David's name in the subject had the desired effect ;) much appreciated!)

I'd like to see three sets of articles, and I think one of them already exists. 

1) Post-NFL season where things stand in the dynasty realm.  Who moves up/down and why.  Break this down by position and/or interesting player movement.

2) Post-NFL Free Agency movement, but before NFL draft.

3) Post-NFL Draft

I'd love to see the dynasty rankings updated on a regular schedule, but like a previous poster said, this does not mean that every person's rankings have to be updated every week.

Rankings, rankings, and rankings.  More rankings with more frequency and detail.  Strategy articles around start-ups or rebuilds would be gravy.  FBGs does a great job on rookies with Bloom and Waldman, but that is about it.  I like the weekly articles that exist today, just want more frequency.

Dynasty leagues are constantly trading, but FBGs doesn't have the rankings to help its players during season or pre-June.

I would like very strong, detailed rankings in preseason with newsflash type analysis of major events that change those value as they happen.  I don't care about weekly or monthly rankings, I'd actually be worried about an authority that makes major changes with any frequency.  Now if a guy is traded, or tape starts exposing a weakness, or a guy gets Treadwell'd, well those are the cases I want to know more analysis about.  But if Luck gets put on IR, I"m not sure that changes Moncrief's long term value much, and that's the core of dynasty - long term value.   I don't need to see his ranking drop from WR33 to WR36.

1. How about rookie content.

2. Pre combine and post combine. Pro day and post NFL draft content. 

3. UTH Dynasty is busy this time of year.

4. Kind of the lifeblood of any dynasty player.

I think that using the rankings tool is difficult because of the fact that you have dynasty and non-dynasty rankings all on the same list. So, when your staffer updates his non-dynasty rankings I think it shows all the rankings as updated, right? Even though they might not have touched the dynasty rankings at all, right? 

So, perhaps an article that discusses staff rankings the way you normally do your roundtables, but just with the guys that do dynasty stuff. And for me personally, I would much prefer a tier style of rankings than straight out rankings. This helps me weigh trade offers when I know how guys see similarly ranked players.

As others have stated I don't think they need to be that fluid. Once a month at the most, but really just a pre-season, mid season, post-season and post-NFL draft ranking would be good for me. Gravy beyond this would just be an occasional dynasty-centric roundtable with those same guys discussing significant movement in between the time that they do actual rankings. 

Overall dynasty rankings in ppr, non ppr, te premium and idp updated relatively frequently.  Once in January, once after the first wave of free agency, once after the second wave of free agency (lacy just signed, downgrade Rawls), once a week before the nfl draft and a couple times afterwards.   Those are the biggest times for dynasty trading and it would be nice to have some rankings to work off of, whether they're behind the pay wall or not. It's really hard to find dynasty rankings out there and any kind of scheduled update would be helpful. 

Rookie rankings for the current class so you can judge the value of players vs picks. Brisco is currently running a bunch of polls in a community ranking but it's hard to really capture value.  

Rookie rankings and a little detail about each of the projected to guys for the next year's class so you can judge whether it's worth trading for a future pick.  That's big.

A few articles would be nice, like guys to pick up and flip for a profit or young guys who need some coaching but might be good next year for the rebuilders.

Trade Value chart and article was nice. More rankings updated by more people. I guess they are hard to do but they are nice to reference and even exploit if I strongly disagree. 

Thank you for asking.  I am a long time subscriber and really enjoy the site

As many other have said, i would like to see more frequent dynasty rankings...especially Rookies at this time of year.  Your competition has had rookie rankings up for many weeks already.  I play in 3 Dynasty leagues, and 2 of them open the trading season immediately after the Superbowl is over.  (The thread OFFICIAL 2017 OFF-SEASON DYNASTY TRADES is closing in on 30 pages since the Superbowl.)  So many Dynasty trades are happening right now that shape the upcoming Fantasy Season.  I get great information from the forum at this time of year, but would love to know what the FBG staff is thinking about the rookies.

During the season, I liked the weekly Dynasty News articles by Tefertiller.  I also like the Dynasty Rankings Movement article, but i like the Dynasty News article a little bit more..  

Waivers of the Future is a good article, but i would love to see input from multiple people...not just one person.  Different view points on the same players helps me define my own opinion on a player.  In my leagues the waiver wire closes when the playoffs start in week 14, so i would like to see this article every week from 11-13 before my rosters freeze. 

I love the Draft Dominator, MyFBG, and being able to look a the Staff Rankings and be able to see where the players on my team are ranked.  These are some of my favorite parts of FBG.  Unfortunately, the rankings are currently still linking to the 2016 MFL league pages of my leagues, and so many trades have happened on the 2017 MFL league pages that right now this feature is not currently a benefit to me.  One of the exciting days for me in the offseason is when the FBG MFL Import is updated for the current year....I would love to see this happen 4 to 8 weeks earlier than it currently does

Again, thanks for asking! 

Rookie Rankings

Just after April draft and revisited in August. ( I have leagues that do rookie only drafts just after the NFL draft, and Rookie, Free Agent drafts just before start of regular season.)

I'd like to see break down by Overall and then position.  

http://www.dynastynerds.com/fantasy-football-dynasty-rankings/rankings/?position=0&age=1

This should be very popular. If not, then you're doing Dynasty wrong. 

Rookie Player Breakdowns

Breakdowns on top rookies as to why the article writer thinks the player will or will not succeed as a fantasy player. (I greatly appreciate when a writer points out that a player looks like they will have NFL impact but not in fantasy. ) 

From Combine and onwards to late August, early September

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/2017-rookie-profile-wr-john-ross/

I would think this should be popular for anyone looking to build their own rankings. 

Overall Top Dynasty 150

Ranking of the Top 150 players in NFL from a dynasty perspective. 

Year round

I would think this would be popular for dynasty start up leagues and anyone looking to make a trade. 

Rookie Mock Drafts (3 round)

Try to get a feel for ADP on rookies. Helpful to know current popularity of players.

From April to early September

Dynasty leagues with Rookie only drafts would find this useful. 

ADP Variation 

Risers and Fallers. Helpful to know if a player is getting hot or not. 

Both Draft and Startup leagues would find this useful. 

PODCASTS, PODCASTS, PODCASTS

l love listening to podcasts. Year round

In all seriousness, having multiple people rank players with at least semi regular updates is huge for various reasons, many of which have been referenced.

Something that I haven't seen elsewhere that could be a niche that could be provided is subsets of dynasty rankings. Redraft is straight forward because every team is trying to win now. Dynasty isn't the same. A rebuilding team has a different mindset and value system compared to a contending team.

If even one or two staffers was in charge of doing a "rebuild" set of rankings, that would be a tremendous addition to the normal rankings. If everyone could do two sets, that would be even better. But it's something to keep in mind.

One last idea if you want to be revolutionary: Combine your rate my team function with a dynasty analyzer. If staffers categorized some players as "sells" or "buys", then that tool could take your team and earmark players you may want to dangle in trade offers. Or it can identify a team that has WR strength as a trade target if your team is seen as being WR weak.  Similar to projections, if the staffers that do them also mark players as good buys or good sells, it could be fully automated and integrated into the current system.  That would be a way to separate yourselves from the current landscape.

Just some ideas.

Accuracy on player home pages. Some have wrong date of births, some have inaccurate games played like not factoring in suspensions. Be good for dynasty if you could work in player contract info on their main page but I'd just like some of the accuracy items cleaned up.

I think most people want the same thing. Some can call it rankings, but I call it value. I'm looking for something to help serve as a guide to how consensus values players and picks. This can be done with more constant ranking updates, updates from various sources, more explanation, tweaking trade value charts to apply to actual existing players and not generic stuff like pick 1.1=X  when X is same value every year regardless of who player 1.1 might be that year. Big fan of the Dan Hindery trade value article, need more stuff like that and more often.

I have close to zero interest in strategy articles on how to build a team or the such. What I would be interested in would be an article that measured stuff like certain combine baseline performance levels and what it meant to fantasy production, that kind of stuff.

Another way of looking at this is these are things I often need to go find at another website when I want the information: player contracts, correct age of players-ages of incoming rookies, rookie and player ranking updates, trade calculators, incoming rookie scouting videos, more detailed stat breakdowns(like on ESPN), next level stats like aDOT and average yards per route run(I realize some of this info is proprietary so just putting out suggestions and letting you know the kind of information I try and locate).

I echo the above.  Honestly some rankings with effort put into them would be the best place to start and back to what brought me to FBG.  Recently I've gone elsewhere for dynasty content and Bramel/Norton and the classic Draft Dominator are about the only thing that has kept me here.  But other sites are staring to catch up on the IDP side.

Having no rookie rankings or analysis right now is not good compared to competition.  Even predraft, there should be something.

Your question got me to thinking, what would I really like that's not subjective rankings related.  I think what would help me as I gaze into the future would be continually updated depth charts that reflected the contract status of all on the chart.  I could use these to project future value of individuals or maybe even teams (O-line stable or about to take a shot).  Just a consolidated data snapshot that let's we analysts project. Thanks for asking - any and all dynasty content is appreciated here

I'd like to echo a lot of what's been put here.

One thing you DO do that I like is, when you're in the rankings and you place your cursor on the player's name/link, his age displays.  I like that feature.  It's small but significant to me.

bostonfred said:
Overall dynasty rankings in ppr, non ppr, te premium and idp updated relatively frequently.
Another good point here.  Dynasty rankings assume the standard PPR lineups and there is no ability to customize for different league types. 

I echo the above.  Honestly some rankings with effort put into them would be the best place to start and back to what brought me to FBG.  Recently I've gone elsewhere for dynasty content and Bramel/Norton and the classic Draft Dominator are about the only thing that has kept me here.  But other sites are staring to catch up on the IDP side.

Having no rookie rankings or analysis right now is not good compared to competition.  Even predraft, there should be something.
Yea, this is really big, imho. A lot of us don't follow college ball beyond a team or two, so getting rankings/commentary would really help. I said this in yesterday's thread, but a ton of us draft right after the NFL draft, so the rookie content really needs to pick up post-combine, pre draft, and if you can get a top 35 or so immediately post draft, that would be great. I caught a few other sites names in yesterday's thread and this one, and took a look - wow, a lot of sites have passed FBG regarding dynasty and rookies. 

I do agree more updated dynasty rankings would be good, but I don't expect them to be continually updated - maybe 5 major updates a year: post-free agency, maybe post draft (whose value got killed by a surprise first or second round RB or WR), pre-season, mid season, and end of season. It's dynasty, so the rankings shouldn't be as fluid as redraft.   

I'd be interested if you offered up-to-date rankings that included the rookie picks in the rankings.  The "Community Dynasty Ranking" thread has been really useful to me.  It's relatively easy for me to decide if I should trade Jay Ajayi for Melvin Gordon.  It's a bit trickier to see if I should trade him for 1.06 or a random 2018 1st.  It would be nice if the experts offered something like that on a regular basis.  Perhaps the rankings could also just include arrows up or arrows down for times when one of the rankers is planning on moving a guy up/down based on some recent news but wants to see it play out a bit so its not so knee-jerk. That would avoid the overreaction that you get on these boards when something looks out of place.  

Also, detailed rookie rankings should be available early on. I hesitated joining a dynasty league for a long time because I didn't know enough about the college game. 

It might be a bridge too far but three things in addition to what others have posted.

1. Deeper waiver wire.  Even in my 16 team league the vast majority of the players covered weekly are already taken.  Most of these players end up not amounting to much but it's good to know if the 5th receiver is going to see more playing time, if a practice squad player is getting promoted to the roster and looks to be used in a somewhat productive role in the future.  

2. Practice squad analysis.  Again, this might be difficult and is really for deep leagues but who is playing well on the practice squad and has a chance of getting promoted.  What player will benefit if the starting rb got injured?  Sometimes it isn't obvious to the casual fan (might not be obvious to guys we pay for this stuff)

3. More thorough trend analysis.  Whose playing time is trending up? Who is getting more involved in the passing game?  Who is getting more time but 90% of his use is blocking?  Often we assume the rookies will get more time as the year goes, but they aren't the only ones whose role changes. 

To reemphasize a point already made - it's mid March, get some rookie love!  

1. The feature (rankings, article topic, etc)

NFL player rankings by position with playet age and indicator of any up or down movement from previous rank and reason(s) for the ranking - i.e. insight relative to others in same position being ranked.

Same thing for rookie rankings by position and age (with link to a college bio would be nice) starting on or around the Senior Bowl, updated just after the combine, then again right after the NFL draft, maybe once during OTA's/minis, then several times during training camp.

A recurring feature article on dynasty trade values in terms of rookie picks, player swaps, years left, comparison of player value across positions and content like that would be interesting. 

Another interesting feature might be analysis of  NFL GM & front office player personnel decisions, i.e. how the pros do it article.  Maybe interviews with pro team personnel on their scouting process etc.

2. The time frames you'd like to see these. Monthly dynasty rankings would be good during  regular season and then right after NFL draft. As noted above for rookies.

3. If possible - specific examples with links of how you're seeing this done now in other places.   I have nothing in trems of examples. 

4.  How popular you think the feature would be with the broader dynasty audience.  This would seem to be very popular for dynasty audience. 

Thanks for soliciting our opinions.

Thanks for starting this thread and at least listening to ideas.  Looking above, some are easy to implement and some are tougher and probably won't make the cut.  But there are some that make sense and should be done.

Rankings - absolutely necessary to have at least two sets in the 35-day window.  And this is as much for FBG as it is for us.  There are a lot of sites with dynasty rankings and I bet that "dynasty rankings" is a popular google search.  When people put in that search and get to your rankings (even if it's a top 5 teaser with a link to join) you want to see several rankings.  FBG is good in that it removes stale rankings, whereas some other sites keep them out.  But to the person coming to your site, you want to show them the value that you offer.  If you had 6 guys doing this, you could have them update the 5 times noted below and then have each do a set on 2 other occasions.  So 2-5 hours 7 times a year.

Rankings part 2 - there are key dates that you should focus on -- January (trading opens for a lot of leagues), some point between opening of free agency and rookie drafts (a lot of startups occur here and you have changes based on free agency and more rookie knowledge), after NFL rookie draft, July-August, and one in season (maybe October - November before trade deadlines).  You really should have 4 or 5 rankings available for these time periods.  This seems like a lot but, for those dedicated to the dynasty side at FBG, this shouldn't be a major task -- 2-5 hours 5 times a year.

ADP data - I think that FBG might be the only site that doesn't offer this and a lot of people use this in lieu of rankings, especially in startups.  But it does take some time and effort.  But you could solicit volunteers from the subscribers/message board posters to take away some of the burden.

Up and coming players -- the waivers of the future article seems to be written without real-league context.  It would be nice to get a weekly list of one-two guys that each staffer is watching in their leagues.  This can be a quick process and shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes per staffer that participates.  Pick 3-10 staffers (or more or less) and ask them for 1-2 players that they're watching and ask them to give a one sentence blurb.  We don't need anything in depth.  For example, last year, a statement such as Tyrell Williams -- has measurables, no path to playing time now, but could have high upside if he gets a shot.  Or Mike Glennon -- free agent at end of year, could end up in good situation.  We then have a list of guys that we can research -- we don't need FBG to do that, we can.  But giving us a list of people would be helpful.

Podcasts -- I don't listen to them and probably wouldn't if you added them.  But people like them.  And they're easy.  Set up a weekly call in season for 5 guys that do this and have them talk dynasty football for 15 minutes.  People would eat this up.  And it's easy.  But it does take 15 minutes.  If you did 25 of them (in season and maybe once a month offseason), it only requires 6 hours total for each guy.

Rookie analysis -- this takes a lot of time, but you do it anyway.  BTW, love love love the Bloom Post-Draft 100.

If you had 5-6 people doing this (which I think that you have that many who dip their toe in dynasty), we're talking less than 50 hours per person each year.  I realize that many do this part-time but that breaks down to an hour a week, which should be doable.  If not, maybe it makes sense to recruit from the subscribers/boards for help.  I'm fairly confident that you have a lot of people that would be willing to dedicate that time to be able to add FBG contributor to their resume or tag line.  

Thanks Guys. You rock. Excellent feedback. As I said in the opening, I don't know all of what we can do there but it helps a ton to see what you guys are looking for. Keep it rolling. Thanks.

J

It might be a bridge too far but three things in addition to what others have posted.

1. Deeper waiver wire.  Even in my 16 team league the vast majority of the players covered weekly are already taken.  Most of these players end up not amounting to much but it's good to know if the 5th receiver is going to see more playing time, if a practice squad player is getting promoted to the roster and looks to be used in a somewhat productive role in the future.  

2. Practice squad analysis.  Again, this might be difficult and is really for deep leagues but who is playing well on the practice squad and has a chance of getting promoted.  What player will benefit if the starting rb got injured?  Sometimes it isn't obvious to the casual fan (might not be obvious to guys we pay for this stuff)

3. More thorough trend analysis.  Whose playing time is trending up? Who is getting more involved in the passing game?  Who is getting more time but 90% of his use is blocking?  Often we assume the rookies will get more time as the year goes, but they aren't the only ones whose role changes. 

To reemphasize a point already made - it's mid March, get some rookie love!  
Some great points here.  Just the general theme of "who's next".  Tyreek Hill, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams 2015 - these guys came out of nowhere and were on the waiver wire for every league I am in.  These are dynasty builders getting solid WR2 for min bid or FCFS.  Spencer Ware was a stash and hold at one point, now he's got a lot of value.

Oh, and don't ignore IDP in the process.  The best article on FBG is Norton's Eyes of the Guru.  It splashes some dynasty nuggets in there but that's not really the focus.  If someone would take a look at IDP from a dynasty perspective 3 times a year - pre-NFL draft (pedigree/talent), August (reps/snaps), late in year (stashing/trading/future opportunities like Vince Wiliams) that would go a long, long way for IDP.

Some great points here.  Just the general theme of "who's next".  Tyreek Hill, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams 2015 - these guys came out of nowhere and were on the waiver wire for every league I am in.  These are dynasty builders getting solid WR2 for min bid or FCFS.  Spencer Ware was a stash and hold at one point, now he's got a lot of value.
Agreed with the"who's next" theme - just be sure to include deep leagues.  "Waivers of the future" tried to accomplish this, but it could go more in depth.  

Oh and when Chris Wesseling used to post here he had a dynasty thread where he ranked by position, tiered players, but also assigned a value to each player so you could use that as a guide for trading between positions.  He also provided written explanations on players and was willing to discuss players.  Fantastic stuff that staff can hopefully replicated

I'd love to see a monthly offseason article that analyzes start up ADP and looks for value to exploit for existing leagues.  Many owners look to startup ADP to decide on trade value.  Would also be nice to see rookies or rookie picks slotted into something like this.  

Rankings are good of course and so is a brief explanation. I think that "arrow up or arrow down" articles are just as important.

Like Brandin Cooks this week....is it better or worse for his Dynasty prospects that he went to NE and left NO? Let multiple writers chime in so that I, as the customer, can find the guy who is most inline with the way I feel.

This past week would have been GREAT for taking the Staff roundtable and using it for some of the bigger moves and their dynasty implications...Glennon/Cooks/Lacy/Jeffrey/DeSean etc.

speaking of Chris Wesseling's old thread, and with "our own" (ie. the Shark Pool user's) thread on Dynasty Value, could FBG commit some staff time to "own" a Dynasty thread in the Shark Pool (maybe similar to Bloom's [is it?] weekly Shark Pool thread where you could ask for advice each week).

Imagine a dynasty value thread that not only brought in the intelligence of the community but also had constant contributions and discussions from the same staff members that created the dynasty rankings and other content. I think the dynasty players here are all clamoring for "context" around rankings, movement, etc. and having a place for constant, organic, conversation on whatever hot topics are happening in a thread like the Dynasty Value thread would be a HUGE value.

btw, I know one or two staff folks do jump in those threads from time to time (Adam Harstad, to name one) but I imagine a pinned, dynasty value thread that has consistent staff presence.

A boy can dream...:)

Another request for rookie rankings including idp before NFL draft and right after the draft.

How about getting the weekly Snap Counts updated by Tuesday nights? Also need to make sure that when a player moves to a different team during the season that he is moved to that team in Snap Counts. This is not always done.

Just want to give some positive feedback to FBG. It took them awhile but they have been pumping out the rankings now. Love Andy Hicks new QB dynasty rankings. He wrote something on his top 48 QB. Awesome stuff and enjoyed reading it even if I didn't agree with all of it. Sigmond bloom wrote up 3 nice articles on TE, WR, RB rankings too. Good stuff guys.

Rankings are good of course and so is a brief explanation. I think that "arrow up or arrow down" articles are just as important.

Like Brandin Cooks this week....is it better or worse for his Dynasty prospects that he went to NE and left NO? Let multiple writers chime in so that I, as the customer, can find the guy who is most inline with the way I feel.

This past week would have been GREAT for taking the Staff roundtable and using it for some of the bigger moves and their dynasty implications...Glennon/Cooks/Lacy/Jeffrey/DeSean etc.
Great call.

I very much appreciate the roundtable discussions that have been coming out with regularity.

A suggestion...Today Bloom published the Offseason Content Menu. If dates could be included so I know when they were written, that'd be good.

What would be great though would be , because I'm already logged in, a "you read this already" notification somewhere if I've opened the link.

Value articles.  Maybe grab a few trades from the thread here and post on the value.  What players can you expect for what pick etc.

Users who are viewing this thread