What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hyperactive Leagues (1 Viewer)

He was taking a vig off the top for leagues he isn't in......

HyperActive owners-
It has come to my attention that there has been some concern amongst some of you about the commissioner fees associated with this league. First of all, I apologize if some of you were unaware or are unhappy with the commissioner fee. When I started these leagues, I did a great deal of research and created what I felt like were very competitive payout percentages. If you check some of the other commish services out there, I hope you would agree.

Through my time serving as commish of these leagues, there has been a number of people who voiced their displeasure with the payout format, expecting someone to run a league they don’t play in for free. While I commish all leagues that I do take part in for free, I unfortunately don’t have the time to run 26 leagues at no cost.

While there is never a good time to fold a league, I feel that is necessary at this time. In light of recent discussion and complaints, and in hopes of avoiding all negativity that could come from this situation, I am stepping down as commissioner of the HyperActive leagues. I do not do this without great consideration as I know many of you have built teams for the long run and have plans for the future and I apologize for any frustration this might cause.

If anyone would be interested in taking over as commissioner of the league, please let me know. I am glad to hand over any information that is needed and would love to see some of the leagues continue. I am also glad to offer any assistance to my potential replacement.

Of course, I am ready to return your 2017 entry fees and will do that once I hear back from each individual.

Again, I apologize for the surprise timing of this decision, but feel it is the best move for me at this time.

Not seeing anything posted in ha1 or ha3, both of which Ryan is in.  Is he remaining commish of the leagues he is in?

Did I read correctly somewhere else that there is a 20% rake on these leagues? That is ####### ridiculous whether he is in them or not, its thievery. How has no one else caused a stink about this before, because he's a big DLF guy? No idea why someone would play in a league where someone is taking like $500 off the top each year just to set up the league and fill open rosters. That's a joke.

Did I read correctly somewhere else that there is a 20% rake on these leagues? That is ####### ridiculous whether he is in them or not, its thievery. How has no one else caused a stink about this before, because he's a big DLF guy? No idea why someone would play in a league where someone is taking like $500 off the top each year just to set up the league and fill open rosters. That's a joke.
I didn't know this because he's in the two HA leagues I'm in (HA1 and HA3) and he doesn't take anything.   If he steps down in those two leagues I hope someone else takes over as commish instead of folding the leagues.

Was the payout schedule a secret?  

$500/year is way too much to give imo but if this was all in the open and the leagues well run, there's no problem with people choosing to pay for a service.  I sure wouldn't play in the league but if others want to pay someone for their time and nobody wants to have the headache of being commish?  

There are a lot of things people pay others to do (some take less work and are more lucrative) because the person doesn't feel like doing it.  why should ff be different? 

It's been quite a few years since I played in the Hyperactive leagues but I remember Ryan as being an outstanding commish 

To add a point to commissioning leagues. Being a commish is dangerous as you really gain nothing from it, you have people always questioning you no matter how fair you are. Commishes shouldnt ever take money, but on the other side, people disrespect commishes so much anymore if they dont get their way with rules and such. People think because they pay for a team they have a right to be in control of the way the league is ran. Remember, you are joining someone elses league, you are purchasing your right to a team, not a right to run the league.

For that reason I do see why some commishes try to make some cash since it is a headache, but taking this much? If you can, I guess. Stepping down from his own league has me wondering if he knows he did something shady. If you did nothing shady and people are now getting upset because they dont like you getting money that they agreed to, boot the owners who dont wanna play by the rules they signed up for, dont step down. But he stepping down makes me believe something is wrong here. I do not play in these leagues, know this commish and am just saying this as a commish who takes no money, but understand some who do. Not stealing, but taking a rake.

I didn't know this because he's in the two HA leagues I'm in (HA1 and HA3) and he doesn't take anything.   If he steps down in those two leagues I hope someone else takes over as commish instead of folding the leagues.
JohnnyU it does not affect the Hyperactive 1-5.  This only affects the leagues that end in a letter.  Ryan does not play in these leagues that I know of.  He commishes them.  The "rake" is not a big amount that I can see at all, especially after MFL fees.  My league Hyperactive "O" so far everyone I have seen reply to the email wants Ryan to keep doing the commish job and have no issues with the current setup.  Ryan is well known in the industry and this has been disclosed on his "Commish Impossible" podcast so it is really old news.  Sounds like someone just wasn't paying attention to the rule sets....

I asked him about the fees a few years ago, and stayed. They weren't disclosed, per se, but a quick back of the envelope showed he made 14% (or $170) in our $100 league.

I'm assuming the biggest headache is finding replacement owners, and our league (HA G)  had three openings to fill. Imagine having a dozen or whatever to deal with. No thanks.

JohnnyU it does not affect the Hyperactive 1-5.  This only affects the leagues that end in a letter.  Ryan does not play in these leagues that I know of.  He commishes them.  The "rake" is not a big amount that I can see at all, especially after MFL fees.  My league Hyperactive "O" so far everyone I have seen reply to the email wants Ryan to keep doing the commish job and have no issues with the current setup.  Ryan is well known in the industry and this has been disclosed on his "Commish Impossible" podcast so it is really old news.  Sounds like someone just wasn't paying attention to the rule sets....
That is very comforting knowing leagues 1-5 are continuing.  Thank you very much for this information. 

You think more than 1.5 league buy-ins is acceptable?  WTF does this commish do that "earns" him this take?
in my league it isn't that much.  Each league ranges from 25 to up to 250 per team.  Most are 25 and 50 leagues.  If MFL is like 80 per league I guess so it is less then 10 percent in mine. (50)  And if MFL is more then the percentage is less.  Like I said he is well known and respected.  He is also giving refunds for the leagues if he doesn't commish or if he is walking away.

You think more than 1.5 league buy-ins is acceptable?  WTF does this commish do that "earns" him this take?
Why do non-HA participants care?  If you are in these leagues and are comfortable paying a non-owner to be commish and handle league finances, finding new owners, rolling over the league, league disputes, etc, then why should what someone else deems "acceptable" even matter?  I bet if you broke down the time spent on a league as commish, he's probably netting south of $15/hr.  And especially so in a year like this with the new MFL rollout.  

Sounds like sour grapes from non-participants potentially ruined some leagues for participants.

Sounds like sour grapes from non-participants potentially ruined some leagues for participants.
If so, then this dude has the thinnest skin in the world (excepting Trump).

A bunch of Internet yayhoos bellyache on Twitter and message boards and he just closes up shop?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

If this was all on the up and up, he would just say "#### you. If you don't like it, don't play in these leagues."

If so, then this dude has the thinnest skin in the world (excepting Trump).

A bunch of Internet yayhoos bellyache on Twitter and message boards and he just closes up shop?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

If this was all on the up and up, he would just say "#### you. If you don't like it, don't play in these leagues."
Ehhh.  Neither you, I, nor anyone else knows what went into his decision.  Dealing with all the BS that goes along with being a commish is draining.  So maybe this nonsense was simply the tipping point?  Doesn't mean he has thin skin.  Maybe he doesn't need that cash and likes the idea of ridding himself of the time commitment that this takes?  I have no idea, but random strangers who don't play in these leagues are silly to play judge, jury, and executioner.  

Dealing with all the BS that goes along with being a commish is draining.
What's it really entail?  I've commished plenty of leagues (but never any that I was not a part of).  There's the time to set it up initially and recruit teams, sure.  That's a grind.

But after that, what?  Roll it over annually on MFL. Replace a team or two.

I don't care if it's ####### Paul Tagliabue acting as commish, there's NOTHING involved that justifies that kind of outlay.  But maybe I'm just cheap.

What's it really entail?  I've commished plenty of leagues (but never any that I was not a part of).  There's the time to set it up initially and recruit teams, sure.  That's a grind.

But after that, what?  Roll it over annually on MFL. Replace a team or two.
Plenty "after that" IMO.  If all you did as commish was "roll it over annually and replace a team or two," then I'm guessing the leagues weren't very active?  Vetting/polling new rule changes, owners disputing unfair trades, staying tuned in to ensure there's no tanking/collusion, etc that impacts the league, and figuring out how to police that.  Making rulings and/or fixing things such as owners that claim they accidentally accepted a trade.  Collecting entry fees from twelve strangers, collecting and tracking prepays when future picks are traded, and distributing the money at year end.   There's issues that pop up all the time.   I know of Ryan based on having participated in a league with him at one point, but I don't know him personally.   So whether you think that's worth something just north of minimum wage or not to deal with really shouldn't matter.  To twelve people in every single one of those leagues, it was worth it.  Now they get to find a new commish, and possibly take home $50 more if they win their league?  Whoohooo, I guess?

What I think is going to be missed is his ability to quickly and easily find replacement owners for these leagues, even for the utmost horrible of teams, due simply to his network within in the dynasty community. 

20% isn't a terrible rake (Quest FFL is higher) and as others have said if you're willing to pay it stay in. If not then leave it's that simple. If people are so stupid that they can't do the math to figure out how much rake he's been taking that's on them, not him.

20% isn't a terrible rake (Quest FFL is higher) and as others have said if you're willing to pay it stay in. If not then leave it's that simple. If people are so stupid that they can't do the math to figure out how much rake he's been taking that's on them, not him.
I'll do it for 19%!

Users who are viewing this thread