massraider

Mayweather/MacGregor--August 26, Las Vegas

2,281 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/18/14966050/conor-mcgregor-erupts-on-boxing-media-im-going-to-shock-the-whole-#######-world

Floyd likes money, he can get off his couch right now, and make McGregor look silly.  McGregor would make a ton of money to get embarrassed.

This shouldn't happen, why won't it?  I'm not a fight guy.

Edited by massraider

42 minutes ago, massraider said:

Floyd likes money, he can get off his couch right now, and make McGregor look silly.  McGregor would make a ton of money to get embarrassed.

Don't think he even needs to get up, or put down the clicker.

This is where my disconnect with fanboys is most extreme - cant count the number of "yeah, i know that sucks but i'm buying in cuz i'm the guy who sees everything" i've encountered lately. Theyre like if Trumptrolls paid dues to be Breitbuds or sum'n. Give that $100 and three hours to BoysClub and hi5 onnat, yo.

1 person likes this

This reminds me of those old wrestling vs boxer matchups, or Alazado or Too Tall Jones fighting Ali...

Is McGregor even in the same weight class?

if this is gonna be a Lumberjack Match, with Chris Jericho as a special guest referee, i'm in. 

2 people like this

Anyone paying for this trash is a total sap. Mayweather will run while punching McGregor in the face a few 100 times. Yawner. A total no contest.

With the money involved, and judging by the number of people talking about it, of course it could happen, even if it shouldn't.

It probably will happen, given all the money that can be made.  And it will make Mayweather-Pacquaio look like Hagler-Hearns.

1 person likes this

I'm cool with it happening.  I'll watch it.  I ain't paying for it though.

1 person likes this

Ariel Helwani made a good point this week.

Floyd is 49-0, Conor is 0-0; this fight should not happen, shouldn't ever be sanctioned. But there's too much money to be made, so it probably will happen.

There will be plenty of promos making this matchup to seem viable, but in reality it won't be close. The thing about Conor is that he doesn't care if he loses.

Winner gets Kimbo Slice; loser v Butterbean on the undercard

3 people like this

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

Winner gets Kimbo Slice; loser v Butterbean on the undercard

Considering his current state, Kimbo Slice should be a pretty big underdog.

6 people like this

:lmao: It's not going to happen. But it sure is a great way for McGregor to keep his name in the news while he's taking a break from the cage.

Unique bets for Mayweather versus McGregor

Bookies are also offering odds on other elements of the fight. The chances of Donald Trump attending the fight are rated at 8/1.

And although it is yet to be confirmed, there are already 33/1 odds on a rematch taking place under mixed martial arts rules.

9 minutes ago, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

I'm sure that McGregor wants this to happen for the money, and maybe even Floyd as well, as it would be an easy payday for him to run his record to an even 50 - 0, but why would the UFC ever let this fight happen? They wouldn't be promoting it, wouldn't be making significant money from it, and having the face of their organization get tooled in a boxing match hurts their ability to market the most lucrative fighter on their roster. The non-compete clauses in the UFC contracts have been tested in court a bunch of times, and they've always been totally iron-clad. Why would they make an exception for McGregor and open up that entire can of worms for the rest of the roster?

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

I'm sure that McGregor wants this to happen for the money, and maybe even Floyd as well, as it would be an easy payday for him to run his record to an even 50 - 0, but why would the UFC ever let this fight happen? They wouldn't be promoting it, wouldn't be making significant money from it, and having the face of their organization get tooled in a boxing match hurts their ability to market the most lucrative fighter on their roster. The non-compete clauses in the UFC contracts have been tested in court a bunch of times, and they've always been totally iron-clad. Why would they make an exception for McGregor and open up that entire can of worms for the rest of the roster?

White doubled down on his comments late Wednesday when asked if the fight will happen during an appearance on the TBS late night show Conan.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal because obviously there’s a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. But on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-changes-tune-wont-stop-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-superfight/

Edited by FatUncleJerryBuss

Just now, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

White doubled down on his comments late Wednesday when asked if the fight will happen during an appearance on the TBS late night show Conan.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal because obviously there’s a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. But on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-changes-tune-wont-stop-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-superfight/

:lmao: And of course Dana always tells the truth... come on man. It is good for everyone involved to talk about this fight as if it were happening, it creates buzz and clicks and pushes McGregor more into the mainstream. But it's almost certainly just talk, as the UFC holds all of the cards (and that doesn't mean Dana White anymore, BTW, he's just another employee now, albeit a high profile one) and the organization itself has nothing really to gain here unless Floyd lets them promote the fight -- and that is really :lmao:.

1 minute ago, Coeur de Lion said:

:lmao: And of course Dana always tells the truth... come on man. It is good for everyone involved to talk about this fight as if it were happening, it creates buzz and clicks and pushes McGregor more into the mainstream. But it's almost certainly just talk, as the UFC holds all of the cards (and that doesn't mean Dana White anymore, BTW, he's just another employee now, albeit a high profile one) and the organization itself has nothing really to gain here unless Floyd lets them promote the fight -- and that is really :lmao:.

Maybe UFC gets cut in on the action?

9 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

I'm not familiar with the non-compete clauses but this would be in a different sport, so it appears that it doesn't apply.

1 minute ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Ok, if you say so, I see you turned into a Trumpette with the :lmao:      Don't ask the question if you don't want information and just have your POV, it comes off toolish.  

Just now, massraider said:

Maybe UFC gets cut in on the action?

I think the UFC could drag this out in court if they choose, but they'd be better served to negotiate for a portion of the earnings rather than spend money bogging down the fight in court in a case they think they'd lose.

Ok, if you say so, I see you turned into a Trumpette with the :lmao:      Don't ask the question if you don't want information and just have your POV, it comes off toolish.  

I didn't ask any question -- I said that it's laughable to think that this is at all likely to happen and you appeared to disagree. I stand by my opinion -- we can revisit this down the road.

Just now, EYLive said:

I think the UFC could drag this out in court if they choose, but they'd be better served to negotiate for a portion of the earnings rather than spend money bogging down the fight in court in a case they think they'd lose.

Yes, and I cannot imagine McGregor becoming less viable as a UFC fighter after Floyd beats him.  

It'll be seen as an mistake driven by ego, not the fading career of a MMA fighter.

16 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Yep, zero questions.   Looks like I got my 10th, congrats.

1 minute ago, EYLive said:

If they think that they'd lose, then yeah, but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't.

Yep, zero questions.   Looks like I got my 10th, congrats.

You're usually not the guy looking to pat yourself on the back with sematics, good luck with that approach moving forward.

This seriously wouldnt last more than 15 seconds.   I could honestly see this being over with one punch.

9 minutes ago, massraider said:

Yes, and I cannot imagine McGregor becoming less viable as a UFC fighter after Floyd beats him.  

It'll be seen as an mistake driven by ego, not the fading career of a MMA fighter.

Folks that follow MMA would certainly realize that, but I'm far less sure about the casual fans who push his PPV buy numbers through the roof. Losing a fight is one thing; getting embarrassed and totally out-classed is something else. We're talking about a GOAT-level boxer against a guy with zero experience.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

This seriously wouldnt last more than 15 seconds.   I could honestly see this being over with one punch.

Yeah, that's not how it would likely play out at all. Floyd isn't exactly a one punch KO threat. I could see an attrition-type TKO...

1 person likes this

It's going to happen and it'll be the spectacle we think it'll be. Floyd will toy with him a few rounds and possibly go for the kill in the middle of the fight. McGregor has a tougher chin than folks realize though and I think the script writes itself: Floyd point-spars him to a clear victory while MMA fans scream Floyd ran like hell from McGregor or he'd have lost. In that scenario it's a win-win because UFC can play up Floyd running to lessen the blow to McGregor's MMA marketing.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Exactly..Big ego's in sports make athletes do stupid things...And guys that allow other guys to punch them in the head repeatedly are probably a little more prone to bad decisions.

1 minute ago, Ditka Butkus said:

Exactly..Big ego's in sports make athletes do stupid things...And guys that allow other guys to punch them in the head repeatedly are probably a little more prone to bad decisions.

Hey, I'm from Boston.  An Irishman challenging someone to a fight that he probably shouldn't is not the most shocking thing I'm gonna see this week.  

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Folks that follow MMA would certainly realize that, but I'm far less sure about the casual fans who push his PPV buy numbers through the roof. Losing a fight is one thing; getting embarrassed and totally out-classed is something else. We're talking about a GOAT-level boxer against a guy with zero experience.

Well not exactly zero experience...He is a professional fighter and knows how to use his hands. He's not like one of us walking in the ring.

1 hour ago, Jayded said:

It's going to happen and it'll be the spectacle we think it'll be. Floyd will toy with him a few rounds and possibly go for the kill in the middle of the fight. McGregor has a tougher chin than folks realize though and I think the script writes itself: Floyd point-spars him to a clear victory while MMA fans scream Floyd ran like hell from McGregor or he'd have lost. In that scenario it's a win-win because UFC can play up Floyd running to lessen the blow to McGregor's MMA marketing.

That's pretty much what would happen.

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Less than 0.001%. Floyd hasn't KOe'd anyone in a decade and the last guy he KOe'd was a (funny as hell) sucker punch. He has no KO power. McGregor has taken far harder shots than anything Mayweather can produce. The guy is a caveman.

McGregor isn't a big enough draw for Mayweather.  It's not gonna happen.

1 person likes this

Just now, lod001 said:

Less than 0.001%. Floyd hasn't KOe'd anyone in a decade and the last guy he KOe'd was a (funny as hell) sucker punch. He has no KO power. McGregor has taken far harder shots than anything Mayweather can produce. The guy is a caveman.

The thicker padded gloves will help Conor absorb more shots also. 

Just now, Dedfin said:

McGregor isn't a big enough draw for Mayweather.  It's not gonna happen.

Then why is Mayweather already promoting the matchup?

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

It would be the accumulation of shots that would get him but I don't think he will knock him out. 

Edited by FatUncleJerryBuss

1 minute ago, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

It would be the accumulation of shots that would get him but I don't think he knock him out. 

Most likely McGregor is screaming 'Yo. cut 'em' 'Cut me Mick.'

1 person likes this