What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mayweather/MacGregor--August 26, Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

massraider

Footballguy
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/18/14966050/conor-mcgregor-erupts-on-boxing-media-im-going-to-shock-the-whole-#######-world

Floyd likes money, he can get off his couch right now, and make McGregor look silly.  McGregor would make a ton of money to get embarrassed.

This shouldn't happen, why won't it?  I'm not a fight guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floyd likes money, he can get off his couch right now, and make McGregor look silly.  McGregor would make a ton of money to get embarrassed.
Don't think he even needs to get up, or put down the clicker.

This is where my disconnect with fanboys is most extreme - cant count the number of "yeah, i know that sucks but i'm buying in cuz i'm the guy who sees everything" i've encountered lately. Theyre like if Trumptrolls paid dues to be Breitbuds or sum'n. Give that $100 and three hours to BoysClub and hi5 onnat, yo.

This reminds me of those old wrestling vs boxer matchups, or Alazado or Too Tall Jones fighting Ali...

Is McGregor even in the same weight class?

Anyone paying for this trash is a total sap. Mayweather will run while punching McGregor in the face a few 100 times. Yawner. A total no contest.

With the money involved, and judging by the number of people talking about it, of course it could happen, even if it shouldn't.

It probably will happen, given all the money that can be made.  And it will make Mayweather-Pacquaio look like Hagler-Hearns.

Ariel Helwani made a good point this week.

Floyd is 49-0, Conor is 0-0; this fight should not happen, shouldn't ever be sanctioned. But there's too much money to be made, so it probably will happen.

There will be plenty of promos making this matchup to seem viable, but in reality it won't be close. The thing about Conor is that he doesn't care if he loses.

:lmao:  It's not going to happen. But it sure is a great way for McGregor to keep his name in the news while he's taking a break from the cage.

Unique bets for Mayweather versus McGregor

Bookies are also offering odds on other elements of the fight. The chances of Donald Trump attending the fight are rated at 8/1.

And although it is yet to be confirmed, there are already 33/1 odds on a rematch taking place under mixed martial arts rules.

I'm sure that McGregor wants this to happen for the money, and maybe even Floyd as well, as it would be an easy payday for him to run his record to an even 50 - 0, but why would the UFC ever let this fight happen? They wouldn't be promoting it, wouldn't be making significant money from it, and having the face of their organization get tooled in a boxing match hurts their ability to market the most lucrative fighter on their roster. The non-compete clauses in the UFC contracts have been tested in court a bunch of times, and they've always been totally iron-clad. Why would they make an exception for McGregor and open up that entire can of worms for the rest of the roster?

I'm sure that McGregor wants this to happen for the money, and maybe even Floyd as well, as it would be an easy payday for him to run his record to an even 50 - 0, but why would the UFC ever let this fight happen? They wouldn't be promoting it, wouldn't be making significant money from it, and having the face of their organization get tooled in a boxing match hurts their ability to market the most lucrative fighter on their roster. The non-compete clauses in the UFC contracts have been tested in court a bunch of times, and they've always been totally iron-clad. Why would they make an exception for McGregor and open up that entire can of worms for the rest of the roster?
White doubled down on his comments late Wednesday when asked if the fight will happen during an appearance on the TBS late night show Conan.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal because obviously there’s a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. But on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-changes-tune-wont-stop-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-superfight/

White doubled down on his comments late Wednesday when asked if the fight will happen during an appearance on the TBS late night show Conan.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal because obviously there’s a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. But on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-changes-tune-wont-stop-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-superfight/
:lmao:  And of course Dana always tells the truth... come on man. It is good for everyone involved to talk about this fight as if it were happening, it creates buzz and clicks and pushes McGregor more into the mainstream. But it's almost certainly just talk, as the UFC holds all of the cards (and that doesn't mean Dana White anymore, BTW, he's just another employee now, albeit a high profile one) and the organization itself has nothing really to gain here unless Floyd lets them promote the fight -- and that is really  :lmao: .

:lmao:  And of course Dana always tells the truth... come on man. It is good for everyone involved to talk about this fight as if it were happening, it creates buzz and clicks and pushes McGregor more into the mainstream. But it's almost certainly just talk, as the UFC holds all of the cards (and that doesn't mean Dana White anymore, BTW, he's just another employee now, albeit a high profile one) and the organization itself has nothing really to gain here unless Floyd lets them promote the fight -- and that is really  :lmao: .
Maybe UFC gets cut in on the action?

I'm not familiar with the non-compete clauses but this would be in a different sport, so it appears that it doesn't apply.

Ok, if you say so, I see you turned into a Trumpette with the :lmao:       Don't ask the question if you don't want information and just have your POV, it comes off toolish.  

Maybe UFC gets cut in on the action?
I think the UFC could drag this out in court if they choose, but they'd be better served to negotiate for a portion of the earnings rather than spend money bogging down the fight in court in a case they think they'd lose.

Ok, if you say so, I see you turned into a Trumpette with the :lmao:       Don't ask the question if you don't want information and just have your POV, it comes off toolish.  
I didn't ask any question -- I said that it's laughable to think that this is at all likely to happen and you appeared to disagree. I stand by my opinion -- we can revisit this down the road.

I think the UFC could drag this out in court if they choose, but they'd be better served to negotiate for a portion of the earnings rather than spend money bogging down the fight in court in a case they think they'd lose.
Yes, and I cannot imagine McGregor becoming less viable as a UFC fighter after Floyd beats him.  

It'll be seen as an mistake driven by ego, not the fading career of a MMA fighter.

Yep, zero questions.   Looks like I got my 10th, congrats.

If they think that they'd lose, then yeah, but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't.

Yes, and I cannot imagine McGregor becoming less viable as a UFC fighter after Floyd beats him.  

It'll be seen as an mistake driven by ego, not the fading career of a MMA fighter.
Folks that follow MMA would certainly realize that, but I'm far less sure about the casual fans who push his PPV buy numbers through the roof. Losing a fight is one thing; getting embarrassed and totally out-classed is something else. We're talking about a GOAT-level boxer against a guy with zero experience.

It's going to happen and it'll be the spectacle we think it'll be. Floyd will toy with him a few rounds and possibly go for the kill in the middle of the fight. McGregor has a tougher chin than folks realize though and I think the script writes itself: Floyd point-spars him to a clear victory while MMA fans scream Floyd ran like hell from McGregor or he'd have lost. In that scenario it's a win-win because UFC can play up Floyd running to lessen the blow to McGregor's MMA marketing.

Exactly..Big ego's in sports make athletes do stupid things...And guys that allow other guys to punch them in the head repeatedly are probably a little more prone to bad decisions.

Folks that follow MMA would certainly realize that, but I'm far less sure about the casual fans who push his PPV buy numbers through the roof. Losing a fight is one thing; getting embarrassed and totally out-classed is something else. We're talking about a GOAT-level boxer against a guy with zero experience.
Well not exactly zero experience...He is a professional fighter and knows how to use his hands. He's not like one of us walking in the ring.

It's going to happen and it'll be the spectacle we think it'll be. Floyd will toy with him a few rounds and possibly go for the kill in the middle of the fight. McGregor has a tougher chin than folks realize though and I think the script writes itself: Floyd point-spars him to a clear victory while MMA fans scream Floyd ran like hell from McGregor or he'd have lost. In that scenario it's a win-win because UFC can play up Floyd running to lessen the blow to McGregor's MMA marketing.
That's pretty much what would happen.

This seriously wouldnt last more than 15 seconds.   I could honestly see this being over with one punch.
Less than 0.001%. Floyd hasn't KOe'd anyone in a decade and the last guy he KOe'd was a (funny as hell) sucker punch. He has no KO power. McGregor has taken far harder shots than anything Mayweather can produce. The guy is a caveman.

Less than 0.001%. Floyd hasn't KOe'd anyone in a decade and the last guy he KOe'd was a (funny as hell) sucker punch. He has no KO power. McGregor has taken far harder shots than anything Mayweather can produce. The guy is a caveman.
The thicker padded gloves will help Conor absorb more shots also. 

It would be the accumulation of shots that would get him but I don't think he will knock him out. 

The thicker padded gloves will help Conor absorb more shots also. 
That's not the way it works -- heavier / bigger gloves = more force and harder punches, and also easier to cover / defend. A bare knuckle punch has way less concussive force than a gloved punch. The gloves are to protect hands, not the target.

Well not exactly zero experience...He is a professional fighter and knows how to use his hands. He's not like one of us walking in the ring.
At the level we're talking about it's pretty close to that. McGregor will get utterly embarrassed in the ring just like Mayweather would in the cage. The threat of takedowns and kicks changes the game entirely enough that it translates only on the most basic levels.

That's not the way it works -- heavier / bigger gloves = more force and harder punches, and also easier to cover / defend. A bare knuckle punch has way less concussive force than a gloved punch. The gloves are to protect hands, not the target.
it would also help Mayweather from the endurance standpoint.  This hypothetical fight wouldn't be remotely close.

McGregor isn't a big enough draw for Mayweather.  It's not gonna happen.
Yeah, people must be mainly looking at it from the MMA perspective. From Floyd's perspective, McGregor is small fry -- McGregor totally broke the MMA pay scale by getting $10 - $15 milion / fight -- Floyd has made over $700 million in his career, including $230 million for the Pacquiao fight alone. McGregor isn't too likely to be moving the needle much for Floyd at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread