What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Chuck Berry (1 Viewer)

He was a strange cat, for sure. 

Every guitar-based band of the last 60 years comes directly from Chuck, and he was the original (& best, IMO)  rock Singer-Songwriter.

Chuck was great. But we all know we have his cousin Marvin Berry to thank for his sound. RIP

He was a tough SOB who established the vocabulary of rock 'n roll with his guitar licks and songwriting.

It's too bad he couldn't have hung around a few more months for the release of his upcoming album.  The public acclaim he would received on its release would have been similar to the tributes he's getting now except for the obvious difference that he'd be alive to enjoy it.

A musical giant.

As much as this death sucks, it's great that he lived to be 90.
This is true. I thought someone would have killed him long before, because he was a sonuva#####. It was almost painful watching him eviscerate Keith Richards (who idolized him) in Hail Hail Rock & Roll

IF I had to pick a greatest R&R song of all time, it would be this one. The influence can't be overstated. It's every kid's story who ever picked up a guitar.
Including mine, in part.  Great posts in here. 

RIP to one of the true pioneers of rock and roll. :(

There's really never been a lyricist like Berry. He'd bend to get a rhyme, but damned if he couldn't make it work. He has to be Dylan's biggest influence when it comes to word-play.

RIP Chuck

Have been listening to hime since i was 9 or 10 when i started listening to my dad's album's of his

Still listen to "the great 28" 

I grew up in St. Louis area - and Chuck was God - the Neil Armstrong of Rock.  While he was a tough SOB - he knew he had to be based on how he saw so many others treated at Chess and elsewhere getting ripped off, He erred on the wrong side in his relationships because of it. But if you could see him on a relaxed night it was fun - I mean really fu#$#$cking fun. Like the greatest stuff you had ever seen. In my early bar hoping days as an 18 year old (thank you Illinois) his daughter Ingrid was a singer for local band that was really popular and for her birthday he joined the band  and it was a full on Rock n roll party - laughing and smiling and storytelling and full of effin Chuck Berry riffs galore.

I believe he might have been the most influential American of the past 60 years, he may have had more influence on race relations then MLK and his music makes him certainly the most influential rock n roll star of them all - Beatles, Stones, Grateful Dead, Beach Boys and on and on - all the greats were direct descendants of his style, sound and influence - just like a roux trinity - his sound was the essence that made Rock n Roll - it has to be there to be considered Rock N Roll. And he was the leader of the Rock n Roll lifestyle - the cars, the clothes, the women, the drugs, the parties, the fights, the lawsuits, jail time- Chuck was the pioneer. 

So God Bless you Chuck Berry - thanks for everything and making America Great.

Just give me that Rock N Roll Music............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XSaKQlBZuE

RIP Chuck

Have been listening to hime since i was 9 or 10 when i started listening to my dad's album's of his

Still listen to "the great 28" 
The rare artist that sounds as good to an 8 year old as it does to a 60 year old.

I feel Berry became overlooked and maybe never got the full credit he deserved.
Some of that is due to racism of course but Berry's id played a big factor as well.  There were people who could have helped his career but Berry didn't trust many.  Given the era, he was probably justified. 

Some of that is due to racism of course but Berry's id played a big factor as well.  There were people who could have helped his career but Berry didn't trust many.  Given the era, he was probably justified. 
Yeah, he had a bad reputation but again being black was likely a big part of it. The whole trafficking of a 14 year old certainly didn't help his public image.

He always talked about people trying to steal from him. And, I'm sure he was already paranoid before he found fame just listening to mentors like Muddy.

His conviction in 1960, though, was so overtly racist that even a racist government had to throw it out (then they found another way to get him into prison to make all right in the world).

There's no doubt in my mind that Berry knew what he was doing with that chick, but I'll bet everything I own that Elvis wouldn't have gotten in trouble for the very same thing.

He always talked about people trying to steal from him. And, I'm sure he was already paranoid before he found fame just listening to mentors like Muddy.

His conviction in 1960, though, was so overtly racist that even a racist government had to throw it out (then they found another way to get him into prison to make all right in the world).

There's no doubt in my mind that Berry knew what he was doing with that chick, but I'll bet everything I own that Elvis wouldn't have gotten in trouble for the very same thing.
Imagine being a music nerd back in the 50's arguing that Elvis couldn't carry Chuck's jock strap.

... new screenplay idea

Saw him 30 years ago in Rome. Even at 60 he put on an awesome show. #duckwalk

I've seen many of his "contemporaries" live as well: Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis,  Little Richard, James Brown, BB King, Ray Charles...all guys that were before my time, so I saw them on the downhill side or on legends of rock tours...but Chuck was the supreme entertainer live.

Amazingly pervasive influence on rock n roll.

I feel Berry became overlooked and maybe never got the full credit he deserved.
The same could be said for Little Richard, who both Elvis and The Beatles credited as a major influence (and Brian Epstein had them open for Little Richard on an early 60s UK tour).

The same could be said for Little Richard, who both Elvis and The Beatles credited as a major influence (and Brian Epstein had them open for Little Richard on an early 60s UK tour).
Absolutely and he too suffered from a mix of racism and his own debauchery. 

Users who are viewing this thread