What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clipping your fingernails at work (1 Viewer)

Clipping your nails at the office

• Sure, why not.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Disgusting. Perpetrators should be burned alive.

Votes: 54 65.9%

• Total voters

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
I discovered a co-worker cutting her nails in a cube on my floor a few weeks back.  Wrote it off as a weirdo who was obviously raised in a barn.  Two days ago, caught another guy (Stanford grad) doing the same.  

Perhaps I'm crazy? 

Doesn't bug me at all.  I don't do it, but I can't think of anything gross about it.

Since this makes no sense to me, I need to ask the people this bugs some questions:

• What's gross about it?  Is it the action, or the nail bits that probably end up on the floor?  The sound?
  • If it's the nail bits, what about doing it over a garbage can?
  • Is filing nails also gross?
  • Is blowing your nose into a tissue in your cubicle gross?

Since this makes no sense to me, I need to ask the people this bugs some questions:

• What's gross about it?  Is it the action, or the nail bits that probably end up on the floor?  The sound?
Any grooming involving bodily fluids or removal of body parts should be done in private

the exception is blowing ones nose because this may be an emergency neccessity

We just had this exact thread.

And I'm sure the same people who do this will continue to try to shrug off or justify this disgusting habit.

If you need to clip your fingernails - go outside or do it in the bathroom.  No one wants to wade through nail clippings in the cubicle farm.

We just had this exact thread.

And I'm sure the same people who do this will continue to try to shrug off or justify this disgusting habit.
Yeah it was only like two weeks ago. Plenty of louts see no issue with clipping nails and trimming their nose hairs at their desks. I don't get it.

While it should not be enouraged--it's shocking that grown adults are so disgusted by somebody clipping their nails over a trash can or in their own cubicle.  I said the same thing in the last thread.  People apply makeup at work, they comb/brush their hair, you have workplaces where dozens of people share the same restroom--and somehow somebody clipping their fingernails in their own cubicle is somehow "disgusting"? If I invited a friend or relative into my home for a few days and I saw them clipping their nails over a trash can--I wouldn't be like  "omg--how effing disgusting!!".    While I personally wouldn't do it or encourage it--the level of disgust that some grown adults feel about it is laughable in my opinion. 

These are the people trump should be going after. 
Should be going after?  I'd wager 90% of people who clip their nails at work voted for Trump.  The combination of disregard for others and downright stupidity is pretty much the hallmark of Trump supporters. 

Cubicles are disgusting

My cubicle is my space.  What I do in it is my business.   You don't like it.  GTFO.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Would never do something that gross. I'm too busy biting my nails and spitting them out anyway.

I'm trying to figure out why a grown man would even have nail clippers at work. Should probably work on your time management if you can't find five minutes out of your home life to groom yourself.

jvdesigns2002 said:
While it should not be enouraged--it's shocking that grown adults are so disgusted by somebody clipping their nails over a trash can or in their own cubicle.  I said the same thing in the last thread.  People apply makeup at work, they comb/brush their hair, you have workplaces where dozens of people share the same restroom--and somehow somebody clipping their fingernails in their own cubicle is somehow "disgusting"? If I invited a friend or relative into my home for a few days and I saw them clipping their nails over a trash can--I wouldn't be like  "omg--how effing disgusting!!".    While I personally wouldn't do it or encourage it--the level of disgust that some grown adults feel about it is laughable in my opinion. 
Do you trim your nose hairs at your desk at work?  If not, why not?

NutterButter said:
My cubicle is my space.  What I do in it is my business.   You don't like it.  GTFO.   

No and if for no other reason, I usually don't notice my nose hairs being in need of a trimming unless I'm looking at myself closely in the mirror and I typically only do that at home.  Regardless, I use an electric trimmer and even though my cubicle is my space, I still don't like to draw attention to myself.   

First of all--asking if "I do it" is totally different from asking me if I'm disgusted by somebody else doing it.  I already made clear in my original post that doing this kind of stuff shouldn't be promoted.  Secondly--everybody here is guilty of doing personal things at work. We all answer personal phone calls, emails, set our fantasy rosters while on the clock--so lets not act like a good employee taking 5 minutes of a work day to tend to a personal manner is some sort of indication that they are failures at time management.   Thirdly--because we all are guilty of doing personal things at work to a certain extent--all we can ask is that these personal things are kept as private as possible and don't interfere with other peoples work as possible.  The OP mentioned the person was doing it in their own cubicle most likely over a trash can.  How anybody else on the planet could be disgusted by somebody using their own personal nail clipper, in their own personal cubicle, over most likely their own trash can--is beyond laughable.  

In regards to your nose hair question--I would personally would not do it. However--if I walked into the men's room and a fellow coworker  was freshening up his hair, washing his face and using an electric nose clipper in one of the stalls or in front of the bathroom mirrors--I wouldn't care in the least bit--and I certainly wouldn't be offended.  I think the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think clipping your nails is not necessarily a "bathroom only" type of grooming--whereas trimming your nose hair would be in my opinion.  

jvdesigns2002 said:
save the personal grooming for your own home. work is for work. not for filing your corns and brushing your teeth. take the 5 minutes to clip your fingernails in your own home.

RokNRole said:
I think we have settled this here before. If it's a shared space it's no bueno
I've done it in my office, but yeah out in the open amongst the masses is a no bueno

save the personal grooming for your own home. work is for work. not for filing your corns and brushing your teeth. take the 5 minutes to clip your fingernails in your own home.
You also understand that employment law dictates that employees are entitled to personal and lunch breaks?   You want to tell somebody that they can take a dump in a shared bathroom but can't use an electric trimmer in a restroom or a personal nail clipper in their own personal office or cubicle?   How about if you have a diabetic co-worker that has to inject himself with insulin with a syringe in the restroom or in the corner of his own office?  Are you going to be offended by that too?   The employee mentioned here wasn't shooting his clippings across the room and was doing his best to keep any distractions to a minimum.  I bet that you are an absolutely wonderful employee--but I also would be that even you easily take 5-15 minutes a day tending to personal matters.   This whole "work is for work" argument carries no merit in this argument being that EVERY one of us probably takes more time than it takes to trim their nails doing personal stuff on work time.  Again--this behavior should not be endorsed or promoted--but grown adults being offended by it is completely immature.

You also understand that employment law dictates that employees are entitled to personal and lunch breaks?   You want to tell somebody that they can take a dump in a shared bathroom but can't use an electric trimmer in a restroom or a personal nail clipper in their own personal office or cubicle?   How about if you have a diabetic co-worker that has to inject himself with insulin with a syringe in the restroom or in the corner of his own office?  Are you going to be offended by that too?   The employee mentioned here wasn't shooting his clippings across the room and was doing his best to keep any distractions to a minimum.  I bet that you are an absolutely wonderful employee--but I also would be that even you easily take 5-15 minutes a day tending to personal matters.   This whole "work is for work" argument carries no merit in this argument being that EVERY one of us probably takes more time than it takes to trim their nails doing personal stuff on work time.  Again--this behavior should not be endorsed or promoted--but grown adults being offended by it is completely immature.
let's just focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to change the target

don't clip your ####### fingernails at work

do it at home

let's just focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to change the target

don't clip your ####### fingernails at work

do it at home
Me changing the topic?  That's pretty lame considering you are the one that brought up brushing your teeth at work (which by the way I have zero problem with people doing in work restrooms).   I guess your stance is that when somebody shoots down your opinion and you are out of defenses-just resort to "eh eh just do it at home".  C'mon man. I've read several of your posts and even I know that you're better than that.   

Last edited by a moderator:
You took it from someone clipping their nails to someone needing insulin. So yea, that's pretty much the definition of changing the target.
Read through the thread.  I made my position clear--and then somebody asked me my opinion about trimming nose hairs--so I commented on that--and then he commented on brushing teeth and dealing with corns--so claiming that I'm the one that is changing the subject is absolutely incomplete.  So yeah--you're wrong. 

one is a totally voluntary act of personal hygiene, absolutely unnecessary at work, which is best performed at home or at least in a bathroom at your place of employment if you have an urgent compulsion to trim up your nails at the office..  an insulin shot is a life saving necessity. so i can see how you would confuse the two as being the same.

one is a totally voluntary act of personal hygiene, absolutely unnecessary at work, which is best performed at home or at least in a bathroom at your place of employment if you have an urgent compulsion to trim up your nails at the office..  an insulin shot is a life saving necessity. so i can see how you would confuse the two as being the same.
Lmao

Crushing ownership. 

Me changing the topic?  That's pretty lame considering you are the one that brought up brushing your teeth at work (which by the way I have zero problem with people doing in work restrooms).   I guess your stance is that when somebody shoots down your opinion and you are out of defenses-just resort to "eh eh just do it at home".  C'mon man. I've read several of your posts and even I know that you're better than that.   
Not sure why you think people need to go to the restroom to brush. If I've got a bottle of water at my desk, why can't I just do it there and spit into my trashcan?

Not sure why you think people need to go to the restroom to brush. If I've got a bottle of water at my desk, why can't I just do it there and spit into my trashcan?
That's what I do with my mouth wash.   Christ, come to think of it, other than showering and shaving, I do everything at work.   Have my deodorant, mouthwash, nail clippers, floss and facial lotion (don't hate, I get dry skin in the winter) at work.   Just so damn convenient.   

First of all--asking if "I do it" is totally different from asking me if I'm disgusted by somebody else doing it.  I already made clear in my original post that doing this kind of stuff shouldn't be promoted.  Secondly--everybody here is guilty of doing personal things at work. We all answer personal phone calls, emails, set our fantasy rosters while on the clock--so lets not act like a good employee taking 5 minutes of a work day to tend to a personal manner is some sort of indication that they are failures at time management.   Thirdly--because we all are guilty of doing personal things at work to a certain extent--all we can ask is that these personal things are kept as private as possible and don't interfere with other peoples work as possible.  The OP mentioned the person was doing it in their own cubicle most likely over a trash can.  How anybody else on the planet could be disgusted by somebody using their own personal nail clipper, in their own personal cubicle, over most likely their own trash can--is beyond laughable.  

In regards to your nose hair question--I would personally would not do it. However--if I walked into the men's room and a fellow coworker  was freshening up his hair, washing his face and using an electric nose clipper in one of the stalls or in front of the bathroom mirrors--I wouldn't care in the least bit--and I certainly wouldn't be offended.  I think the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think clipping your nails is not necessarily a "bathroom only" type of grooming--whereas trimming your nose hair would be in my opinion.  
The OP isn't asking about someone in the restroom.

Nail clipping, teeth brushing, flossing, ear cleaning, butt wiping, zit popping, and other personal grooming needs should be done in the privacy of the restroom or ones home. It's simple, really.

Users who are viewing this thread