What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best airline for frequent flyer miles (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Job role is changing, may have to take 1-2 flights per week now.  A few years back, I fly all the time and I did southwest exclusively.  Booked a ton of points, got a companion pass for the wife..

In the years since then when I haven't traveled, I've talked to a lot of people who fly a lot and many are always in first class due to their frequent flyer status.

So I'll pose it to the FFA.  Which company do you use?

My flights will primarily be in the East, doubt I'll ever make it out West, no int'l (though ideally I'd love to be able to use points for int'l travel).

Last edited by a moderator:
the key, honestly, is to try to take advantage of points from hotels and car rentals. once you start paying attention to those while you travel then you're getting smart. book flights, hotel, and rentals with your airline credit card too.  

I'm in ATL and fly Delta exclusively, book everything with skymiles card.  Rack up 250k skymiles per year or so.  It pays for a lot of vacations but I rarely get first class any more because I always fall short of diamond status each year.

With Delta, what I've learned over the years is that the quickest way to Diamond status is through making connections, not miles flown.  I live in ATL so I don't get as many connections.

I fly American and really like the program. At 100k miles in a year you get Exexutive Platinum status which makes it pretty easy to get upgraded to first. I'd estimate 1 out of every 3 flights I'm upgraded, and it's almost always a sure upgrade on a short flight to an odd city (like Reno or San Diego). Flights to D.C. and NY are harder because there are a lot of guys with status flying. Also, avoiding hubs is good - Dallas is a big American hub, so I always try to layover somewhere else because it's easier to get first.

And, The Admiral's Club lounges at the airports are great.

IMO You are going to want to fly the airline that offers the most flights out of your home airport. Flying sucks and you are going to want to have the most options available when booking. 

The first year will suck as you build up your miles but it gets a little better after you establish some status. To get the top status on any airline you will need to fly a ####load (probably around 75k - 100k or so) having the middle tier (probably around 40k - 50k ) at least gives you some better seating options and will get you the occasional upgrade.

the key, honestly, is to try to take advantage of points from hotels and car rentals. once you start paying attention to those while you travel then you're getting smart. book flights, hotel, and rentals with your airline credit card too.  
Yup. There are a bunch of different ways to go about racking up points but I have found the best way is to use the card associated with the program combined with status at the hotel (ex: Chase Marriott Visa and Marriott Platinum status).

After all the bonuses when paying with that card for about 10 nights in a decent Marriott you rack up enough points to get you 1 night in say Hawaii or someplace you actually want to go. 

Yup. There are a bunch of different ways to go about racking up points but I have found the best way is to use the card associated with the program combined with status at the hotel (ex: Chase Marriott Visa and Marriott Platinum status).

After all the bonuses when paying with that card for about 10 nights in a decent Marriott you rack up enough points to get you 1 night in say Hawaii or someplace you actually want to go. 
The hotel and car points don't seem to buy you very much though.  I rack up Hilton points, but always choose skymiles for my car rentals.  If I could choose skymiles over the hilton points I'd take it.  Skymiles seem to have a lot of value compared to the hotels and cars.  I had 160000 hilton points and just used 135k for two nights at a hilton hotel.  Priority club is the same way; just don't get much value out of them.

With Delta, what I've learned over the years is that the quickest way to Diamond status is through making connections, not miles flown.  I live in ATL so I don't get as many connections.
Didnt they recently change this to how much you pay for the ticket vs how far you are flying? I could be wrong, but i thought I read that somewhere. 

The hotel and car points don't seem to buy you very much though.  I rack up Hilton points, but always choose skymiles for my car rentals.  If I could choose skymiles over the hilton points I'd take it.  Skymiles seem to have a lot of value compared to the hotels and cars.  I had 160000 hilton points and just used 135k for two nights at a hilton hotel.  Priority club is the same way; just don't get much value out of them.
I don't do Hilton but Marriott (and now Starwood since Marriott bought them) have pretty good value.

For example: You get 5th night for free if you stay 4 nights. A nice Maui hotel that is around 400/night will cost 160,000 points for 5 days. I stayed in Chicago for 5 nights a month ago and the total with all the bonuses was almost 25,000 (I also paid for a coworkers room and got their points so that stay was almost 50,000 points). 

Honestly I believe Southwest is the best program (particularly with the CC and companion pass), but their flight schedules are pretty restrictive for me.  So I fly with Delta the vast majority of the time.  Their program is ok.

If you're flying that much I'd highly recommend getting a high end travel credit card - Chase Reserve, Preferred, etc.  The points there are better than a Delta card after you get the bonus.

With all the consolidation it's near impossible to get upgraded these days. I'm Platinum with American and Silver with United. I'm always about half way down the page on the upgrade list. 

Stick to the airline that has the biggest presence at your closest airport so when you redeem miles it's more convenient.

Didnt they recently change this to how much you pay for the ticket vs how far you are flying? I could be wrong, but i thought I read that somewhere. 
They have a complicated method to advancing through status now; it used to be simpler.  Now its based on miles, segments and dollars spent.  None of the categories are necessarily a 1:1 reward.  With my card and travel expenses I always max out the dollar requirement early, then just need to earn the segments or miles.

But as southjersey pointed out, stick to one airline that best serves your airport and maximize their program.  We just got southwest in ATL within past few years but I've never flown them.

I've noticed companies these days are trying to move in on employees' skymile perks big time.  I've fought that off though as it's a true perk of the job that I won't give up.  Otherwise they can find someone else to travel and I'll stay home.

With all the consolidation it's near impossible to get upgraded these days. I'm Platinum with American and Silver with United. I'm always about half way down the page on the upgrade list. 

Stick to the airline that has the biggest presence at your closest airport so when you redeem miles it's more convenient.
That's the problem - you are dividing your miles. I am executive platinum with American and get upgraded quite a bit, and if I'm not upgraded, I usually miss it by one or two spots. Actually, my wife and I just got upgraded on our flight to Vegas tomorrow :pickle:

You can swap Marriott points for miles with United. I have the Chase Marriott Visa and get platinum every year. I fly on government rates, so getting and keeping status is hard. I'm United Silver this year after years of Gold and a couple 1Ks. Sucks royally but once United changed the program, I lost out. 

I'd be happy to change airlines if a better alternative existed (SFO to IAD regularly). I'd never switch my Marriott allegiance however. They treat me very, very well.

You can swap Marriott points for miles with United. I have the Chase Marriott Visa and get platinum every year. I fly on government rates, so getting and keeping status is hard. I'm United Silver this year after years of Gold and a couple 1Ks. Sucks royally but once United changed the program, I lost out. 

I'd be happy to change airlines if a better alternative existed (SFO to IAD regularly). I'd never switch my Marriott allegiance however. They treat me very, very well.
I'm with you on Marriott. I think they have a great rewards program too. I'm always able to get free rooms with my points. 

The one thing about American is the ONLY way to get status is through flying. You can get points a ton of different ways, and you can sue those points for free flights, etc. but to get to gold, plat, or exec plat, you have to fly and get miles and/or segments. I'm not sure if all airlines are like that.

Honestly I believe Southwest is the best program (particularly with the CC and companion pass), but their flight schedules are pretty restrictive for me.  So I fly with Delta the vast majority of the time.  Their program is ok.

If you're flying that much I'd highly recommend getting a high end travel credit card - Chase Reserve, Preferred, etc.  The points there are better than a Delta card after you get the bonus.
The thing I hate about Southwest is they don't have first class. To me, that's the only reason for status. All airlines offer points for free flights, etc., but the possibility of getting a first class upgrade is so critical to me that I don't ever fly SW anymore.

1-2 flights per week?  Eeesh.  I'll never complain about my 2 trips per month again!
I just went back and checked. This is the 12th week of the year, and I've had 11 trips. Over the next 8 weeks I have 7 trips.

Luckily, it wasn't this crazy last year ("only" 100k miles...), and all my kids are in college so my wife can travel with me on some trips. It's WAY better traveling knowing there's not a 10 year old kid at home wondering where daddy is.

I just went back and checked. This is the 12th week of the year, and I've had 11 trips. Over the next 8 weeks I have 7 trips.

Luckily, it wasn't this crazy last year ("only" 100k miles...), and all my kids are in college so my wife can travel with me on some trips. It's WAY better traveling knowing there's not a 10 year old kid at home wondering where daddy is.
It's nice that you are able to integrate your wife into your travel plans.  That has to help.  I don't have kids or pets, but I should bring my wife along every once in a while.  The company won't pay her flight obviously, but worth the occasional expense.

I'm only gold on American, but this is looking like a platinum year.

Damn...where are you staying?

I've been a diamond member for years...I usually get my rooms for about 30K a night.

Southwest used to be good but now they penalize you too much for I Wanna Get Away fairs.  Frankly, they've entirely lost their edge as an airline.  Prices are not cheap anymore, and the FF program went south.  

I get good luck with United (Platinum) for upgrades as long as I'm not flying to a major hub.  But I agree with others, the best airline to fly is the one with the best availability to/from your home airport.  

Damn...where are you staying?

I've been a diamond member for years...I usually get my rooms for about 30K a night.
Lol, you're right.  Hilton resort at Newport Beach, CA for spring break.  I think it was 65k point per night.

kutta said:
The thing I hate about Southwest is they don't have first class. To me, that's the only reason for status. All airlines offer points for free flights, etc., but the possibility of getting a first class upgrade is so critical to me that I don't ever fly SW anymore.
My wife's flying for free with me on four trips this year with a Southwest Companion Pass, which is pretty good motivation.

I'm currently out of town on business and I must say....flying/traveling blows. I don't know how you frequent flyer guys do it. Do you get sick every other week from all the nastiness and people you're exposed to?

Good luck, OP.

I'm currently out of town on business and I must say....flying/traveling blows. I don't know how you frequent flyer guys do it. Do you get sick every other week from all the nastiness and people you're exposed to?

Good luck, OP.
I hardly ever get sick but when I do it's gnarly.

The actual flying part and dealing with stupid stuff that comes with traveling sucks but being in the office for more than a couple weeks is worse for me. I enjoy being on the move. 

I hardly ever get sick but when I do it's gnarly.

The actual flying part and dealing with stupid stuff that comes with traveling sucks but being in the office for more than a couple weeks is worse for me. I enjoy being on the move. 
Yea...I've got an immune system like none other...so it's never been a problem for me.

Traveling from West Coast to East Coast sucks though...hard to force myself to go to sleep that early and I'm trash the next day.

There's never any direct flights anywhere anymore it seems.

But I enjoy a nice hotel...good bed, eating out, driving different cars...it's all pretty cool.

But I always opt for the main cabin extra and aisle seats only...so if I don't get First Class...I'm still fairly comfortable..

I'm loving being able to watch movies via GoGo for free on flights now.

I absolutely can't see ever losing TSA Precheck...that's a must have now for me.

I've been seriously considering getting the credit card that gives me all access to the Admirals lounge for about $400 a year...but haven't convinced myself it's worth it yet.

Yea...I've got an immune system like none other...so it's never been a problem for me.

Traveling from West Coast to East Coast sucks though...hard to force myself to go to sleep that early and I'm trash the next day.

There's never any direct flights anywhere anymore it seems.

But I enjoy a nice hotel...good bed, eating out, driving different cars...it's all pretty cool.

But I always opt for the main cabin extra and aisle seats only...so if I don't get First Class...I'm still fairly comfortable..

I'm loving being able to watch movies via GoGo for free on flights now.

I absolutely can't see ever losing TSA Precheck...that's a must have now for me.

I've been seriously considering getting the credit card that gives me all access to the Admirals lounge for about $400 a year...but haven't convinced myself it's worth it yet.
West Coast to East is a bear, especially if you have an early meeting the first day. I try not to abuse it but an Ambien and reading usually knocks me out so I get to sleep that first day. 

Non-direct flights are the worst.

Movies, podcasts, a Kindle and I can survive most flights without wanting to murder someone, but flying is the suckiest part of travel for me. Aisle seat is a must.

West Coast to East is a bear, especially if you have an early meeting the first day. I try not to abuse it but an Ambien and reading usually knocks me out so I get to sleep that first day. 

Non-direct flights are the worst.

Movies, podcasts, a Kindle and I can survive most flights without wanting to murder someone, but flying is the suckiest part of travel for me. Aisle seat is a must.
I can't take a flight more than 3 hours...I've just grown accustomed to layover in Dallas after 2 1/2 hours of flying.
I fall asleep immediately...before we even lift off...even if I've slept well beforehand.

That's the problem - you are dividing your miles. I am executive platinum with American and get upgraded quite a bit, and if I'm not upgraded, I usually miss it by one or two spots. Actually, my wife and I just got upgraded on our flight to Vegas tomorrow :pickle:
95% of my flights are with AA. I fly plenty, but don't fly enough to make executive platinum. I have United status from the match program since I'm Platinum with Marriott (which I actually got my status matched from being Platinum with SPG - my preferred hotel chain).

Exec Platinum has higher priority, hence you always getting upgraded.

kutta said:
I disagree.  I travel a ton and care I far more about getting my bag on, being on time and getting off the plane quickly.  They make travel very easy for me plus the a list assures i will always get a good seat.   Plus, if I book a flight with points and cancel I get my points back.  Obviously sucks for international travel

The one thing about American is the ONLY way to get status is through flying. You can get points a ton of different ways, and you can sue those points for free flights, etc. but to get to gold, plat, or exec plat, you have to fly and get miles and/or segments. I'm not sure if all airlines are like that.
Certain AA/Citi products will get you annual elite status miles when you hit spending milestones to boost your status amount.

Job role is changing, may have to take 1-2 flights per week now.  A few years back, I fly all the time and I did southwest exclusively.  Booked a ton of points, got a companion pass for the wife..

In the years since then when I haven't traveled, I've talked to a lot of people who fly a lot and many are always in first class due to their frequent flyer status.

So I'll pose it to the FFA.  Which company do you use?

My flights will primarily be in the East, doubt I'll ever make it out West, no int'l (though ideally I'd love to be able to use points for int'l travel).
as many have mentioned,  to max your upgrade %, the keys are:

• airlines' predominance in your market and your region/key-hubs.  Not always--- but you usually need to zag, when others zig to maximize upgrade %
  • the hub you'll be connecting through (for instance CLT>ATL; though CLT's F product is often worse due to use of old US equipment, ORD AA>ORD UA)
  • aircraft equipment and schedules are absolutely vital both at the home airport and through the hub you're connecting on.  Some AA and UA A319s have just 8 F seats while certain RJs have more than that for instance. And though this and the schedules can change from time to time, we will be able to fcst that for you
  • Your expected total annual mileage (i.e. What status you'll attain) and we'll also advise on how to get you to status faster so you don't have to wait a year (or close to it)

So, OP, what is your home airport and what will be your top 3-5 destinations?

I'm with you on Marriott. I think they have a great rewards program too. I'm always able to get free rooms with my points. 

I have never had status with Marriott (had SPG status a few years ago).  I was Hyatt Diamond last year (explorist this year) and can say Hyatt status is awesome.  Free upgrade to presidential suites, free club access (with meals).  To me, hotel status is much more valuable than airline status.  I can just buy a first/business class seat if justified (with points of course).

Agreed on all counts and regarding this one, it's worth it. 

I have the AA Executive Platinum because I not only fly AA exclusively (I fly out of MIA) but because of the access to the Admiral's Club. Before flights, during delays, connections, whatever. Well worth it to get somewhere relatively quiet and away from the insanity that is the rest of the airport. 

Yup, and it sucks for those of that take long, but infrequent trips.  Both my wife and I fall into this category as I fly to Asia 1x, maybe 2x per year and she flies to Africa like 2x per year.  Can't get status booking coach seats with trips that infrequent.

Users who are viewing this thread