What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever had a league member post your private trade offers on the league message board? (1 Viewer)

hoffman0001

Footballguy
Just had this happen in one league. I am so pissed that this tacky behavior, and breach of trust. Either you accept, decline, or counter offer. But posting the offers on the league message boards? Disgusting. Never seen it in 24 years of playing fantasy. I told the guy I'll never talk trade with him again. Ever seen this? 

Am I over-reacting? It just left a rotten taste in my mouth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had this happen in one league. I am so pissed that this tacky behavior, and breach of trust. Either you accept, decline, or counter offer. But posting the offers on the league message boards? Disgusting. Never seen it in 24 years of player. I told the guy I'll never talk trade with him again. Ever seen this? 

Am I over-reacting? It just left a rotten taste in my mouth. 
by posting about this at all? yeah

But also, I would never initiate trade talks with him again more than likely

It's usually ok to discuss trade talks with other league mates.

If I want to trade jordy for your 1.6 and I tell you I have a deal in place involving 1.7 but wanted to check with you first, that's fine.  I risk losing my deal for 1.7, if one exists, by shopping it around.  

If I publicly post that my best offer is the one you offered, and ask if anyone can beat it before I make the deal, I risk you pulling the offer or lowering it when nobody else offers anything close.  

If I post trade talks from last month, saying I wish I had traded for martellus Bennett before he landed in green Bay, I had a deal to get him for a third round pick and turned it down, I think that's fine too, his value has obviously changed.  

What's not cool is if I post offers you've made that I've rejected.  Hey look, fred is shopping tyreek hill, he's probably trying to dump him.  I don't like that at all. Also not a fan of hey look, fred asked me for two firsts for tyreek hill, that's so ridiculous, he's such a rip off artist.  Bad form. 

But if I post on the message board that I'm looking to deal hill for two firsts and you think that's way too much, that's fine - you opened it up for league discussion. 

I'm guessing you low balled him and he thought it was a horrible offer. 
Then you counter or decline. You don't air your trades on a message board. poor form. I must get 1-2 low ball overs A DAY in season. You decline or work out a deal. This is LAME. 

It's happened to me and I don't care too much. I think it's a little far to call it a "breach of trust." 

What happens and has happened more often for me is usually we are in a group of friends so word gets out that Player A offered Player B a bad trade and everyone ridicules him for it. Last year I had mentioned to our commish casually that no one responds at all on trades. He mentioned to me that I was asking for their best WRs so what do I expect. I was surprised he knew this. He is close friends with most of the people in my current league so I'm sure this kind of talk goes on. 

So for me, it's more chatter outside of the message board. In the grand scheme of things I really don't care if others know or don't. Maybe it would work to my advantage. 

Sure, it's lame. Maybe poor sportsmanship. But to get all bent out of shape over it is a little much. Roll your eyes and go talk to someone else about a trade. Don't trade with him again. 

It's happened to me and I don't care too much. I think it's a little far to call it a "breach of trust." 

What happens and has happened more often for me is usually we are in a group of friends so word gets out that Player A offered Player B a bad trade and everyone ridicules him for it. Last year I had mentioned to our commish casually that no one responds at all on trades. He mentioned to me that I was asking for their best WRs so what do I expect. I was surprised he knew this. He is close friends with most of the people in my current league so I'm sure this kind of talk goes on. 

So for me, it's more chatter outside of the message board. In the grand scheme of things I really don't care if others know or don't. Maybe it would work to my advantage. 

Sure, it's lame. Maybe poor sportsmanship. But to get all bent out of shape over it is a little much. Roll your eyes and go talk to someone else about a trade. Don't trade with him again. 
Oh I did. I hold him he is dead to me for trades. 

What was the context of the post?

Given that you're totally unwilling to share what the offer was I'm guessing it was a lowball offer and he was airing his grievances and/or mocking you.  Definitely poor form in that case.

However, it's also poor form to start a post here complaining about something while refusing to give any details about what it was and expecting everyone to just pat you on the back blindly.

its just like getting intentionally slow rolled at the poker table

against the rules, no

super ##### move, absolutely

your choices are to get over it, or be forever tilted about it

Our MFL setting used to show trade comments. We finally changed it but apparently it's common some places.

But yeah this seems like a mind your own business kind of thing.

Our MFL setting used to show trade comments. We finally changed it but apparently it's common some places.

But yeah this seems like a mind your own business kind of thing.
Is that a setting on MFL?

Ours doesn't show rejected comments to the league, but if a trade is accepted it shows the comments in the completed trade post.  Is this changeable?

If someone offers a terrible trade and continues to do so then I think they should post it for everyone to see just to shame the shame the person and keep him from doing it again.  If it was a decent trade offer or it was just the first time to tried a low ball offer then I don't think it was warranted.  I'm not sure it's a breach of trust though.  Who cares if others see what you were offering for a trade.  If he accepted it everyone in your league would have seen it anyway.

Got a couple of offers ... which one would you guys take?Both are for A. Robinson (Jac) wr:Brian Quick & 4.05 2017 draft                orCordarelle Patterson & 4.05 2017 draft

I'm not here to debate the offer. You either take it, counter or pass. You don't post on the message board of the league. 
Meh. You don't get to decide people's reactions.

You send an offer that insults my intelligence, I might let people know.

Especially if you do it repeatedly.

I'm not here to debate the offer. You either take it, counter or pass. You don't post on the message board of the league. 

I find it interesting that you come to a message board asking for opinions but decline to give even the most basic information.  I personally wouldn't post the offer.  But if there was an owner that has a history of making awful deals and this deal happened to be another awful deal, then I wouldn't be as opposed to a public shaming.  Given your refusal to post the offer, I'm beginning to wonder about how bad your offer was.

Yes, my starting offers. Robinson was the #71 fantasy player in that league last year, not exactly stud material.  He was looking for picks so I offer him a player a pick. 

That was your offer?  Seriously?  You deserved it.  If you expect others to act in good faith, you might start by doing so yourself.

Yes, my starting offers. Robinson was the #71 fantasy player in that league last year, not exactly stud material.  He was looking for picks so I offer him a player a pick. 
Here is my opinion on the matter.  If it's the first time you sent the offer then I would just decline it.  If you send a similar one again then I decline and comment that your offers are not close enough.  If you send a third one that I find to be ridiculous then I'm posting it for others to see just so everyone knows how terrible your offers are.

There is a message board for a reason and I will use it.  It sounds more to me that you sent a crappy offer and you feel a little embarrassed about it.  If it was your first offer to him then I can see why you'd be upset.  If you have a history of this then I see it as fair game.

I was just listening to a similar question being asked on the Fantasy Footballers podcast.  They said if a guy has a history of terrible trade offers they recommended shaming that person in order to prevent him from doing it again.

That was your offer?  Seriously?  You deserved it.  If you expect others to act in good faith, you might start by doing so yourself.
Ummm then you negotiate. I get trades I don't like every day in multiple leagues. I either counter or respectfully pass. I don't share the offer to the world. it's poor form. 

You offered two awful trades for a player that was top 10 and has potential to be back there again, especially dynasty . 

I take back everything I said, sure maybe it's tactless to ridicule you in the message board, however your trade offers deserve it TBH

Gotta be honest.  I noticed a few of your posts in the dynasty trades thread.  You seemed to be a bit of a tool there.  And more so here.  Hopefully people have stroked your wounded ego enough.  Gonna move on to more interesting threads.

Here is my opinion on the matter.  If it's the first time you sent the offer then I would just decline it.  If you send a similar one again then I decline and comment that your offers are not close enough.  If you send a third one that I find to be ridiculous then I'm posting it for others to see just so everyone knows how terrible your offers are.

There is a message board for a reason and I will use it.  It sounds more to me that you sent a crappy offer and you feel a little embarrassed about it.  If it was your first offer to him then I can see why you'd be upset.  If you have a history of this then I see it as fair game.

I was just listening to a similar question being asked on the Fantasy Footballers podcast.  They said if a guy has a history of terrible trade offers they recommended shaming that person in order to prevent him from doing it again.
New member of the league, made two offer to him ever. One accepted and this one. No reason for this. 

You offered two awful trades for a player that was top 10 and has potential to be back there again, especially dynasty . 

I take back everything I said, sure maybe it's tactless to ridicule you in the message board, however your trade offers deserve it TBH
Dr. Robinson was a #71 rated player, how is that top 10?

New member of the league, made two offer to him ever. One accepted and this one. No reason for this. 
You're insulting his intelligence. Trying to take advantage of him being a new member of the league. 

If it were a reasonable trade that's one thing but to offer such garbage... no one's ever going to want to trade with you if you keep throwing those offers out there. That's like going to buy a house and coming in with your first offer 100k below asking price. 

It's equally poor form to lowball someone so ridiculously as you did. If I were him I wouldn't even reject the trades. Just let them sit there forever for you to realize how much of an ### hat you were in offering them in the first place 

If it was your first offer to him I think he should have just rejected it, I know I would have.  I'm assuming he thought the offer was so ridiculous that he wanted to call you out on it to the entire league.  Maybe not the coolest way to handle it but he did make a pretty good point.

Dr. Robinson was a #71 rated player, how is that top 10?
Let me ask you, why do you want him? If someone offered you a 4th round pick and Patterson or Quick for him, would you take it? 

Maybe use that as a starting point for future trade offers, "What would it take for me tio take this trade if I were the owner of this guy". You might get less grief on the message board and more completed offers

Is that a setting on MFL?

Ours doesn't show rejected comments to the league, but if a trade is accepted it shows the comments in the completed trade post.  Is this changeable?
Yes - there is an option to "show comments" (I believe its the default but a commish can uncheck it).

Let me ask you, why do you want him? If someone offered you a 4th round pick and Patterson or Quick for him, would you take it? 
I'm willing to take a flyer on him. Am I willing to trade more for him? maybe. That's for the parties to discuss privately. that is my issue. 

Ummm then you negotiate. I get trades I don't like every day in multiple leagues. I either counter or respectfully pass. I don't share the offer to the world. it's poor form. 

Not on an offer like that.  By sending an offer so far apart in value, you sent the message that you either thought he was incredibly stupid or that you were just goofing him.  Either way, a public posting might be a reasonable action.  One would be to show the league how insulting you are and in the other case to share the joke.

That you are so bent out of shape here tells me you were serious.  You earned the public come uppance.  Apologize to him, let him know it won't happen again, and let bygones be bygones.

You'll be lucky if he and perhaps some others trade with you again.  You don't get to spit in a guy's face and then just walk off.

I have said many times, I get LAME offers in many leagues every day. If I don't like them I pass, or counter. I don't air private conversations. I'm not hear to debate a trade guys. Should I post every lame trade I get on my league message boards? NO, I would never do that. Its not good sportsmanship. If your telling me your never made a trade offer for less than you value a player, your lying to yourself. 

What I find funny is that he's so mad that he said he will no longer offer trades to him when he actually just gave himself a reputation that will make it so no one in his league will want to trade with him anymore.  Seems he did more damage to himself than anything.

It would have been much more  inappropriate if he accepted the offer rather than post the offer to the message board. 

Does the guy post all the offers he gets, or just the ones that belong in the "worst offers" thread?

Sort of a different scenario but I (and others) have posted offers to the message board with an attached "I am trading this player/pick for this unless someone can beat the offer".

Users who are viewing this thread