What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When an iFriend dies (1 Viewer)

MikeIke

Footballguy
First of all: this is not about a FBG dying. I don't want to alarm anyone. 

We've lost several FBG's over the years and I've seen the outpouring of community support when it happens. I've felt bad but it's never affected me very personally because I had no prior relationship with the deceased. 

Today I got word that one of my iFriends in an online game I play had died. The game is Castle Clash. I am a guild leader and Tommy was one of my Vice Leaders. He'd been in the hospital for several weeks and I'd had no communication with him. He hasn't logged into the game for 15 days. 

Today, we got a message in the chat room that Tommy had died the previous week. I guess his family had opened his phone and taken the time to go through his messages to let people know that he was  gone. 

This has affected me WAY more than I would have expected . I've been in a funk all day. I've never met this guy. He was a 28 year old In England, I'm a 43 year old in America. We had nothing in common other than the game we both played. 

Yet, I cried when I heard of his death. 

It's strange how we can be affected by the deaths of people we've never met. I cried when Chance died. I cried When Connor died. I cried when Riley died. But those were more sadness about a child dying, and seeing how it affected the parents. 

This is a friend of mine, whom I've "known" for almost 4 years. Even though I've never met him, I will miss him. 

I just find it odd how profoundly you can be affected by the death of someone you've ever met. Other than that, I don't have any real point to make. Thanks for hearing me out, FBG's. 

RIP to your friend.  

I get it.  There was a user here I was pretty close to who died suddenly a while back.  When I read the news of his passing, I felt like I got hit in the stomach and all the air left my body.  Then the tears came.  

I'd never met the guy in person or even talked to him on the phone, but I still thought of him as a friend.  Whole thing felt as silly as it was sad - why mourn over some i-dude?  But that was how I felt and I miss him.

This should be a good place to vent.  You're not alone on this one.

I offer my condolences Mike.

Also, I fully empathize with what you are feeling. 

Last week, on NPR, I was listening to a conversation about the "reality of online". In the past, it was often defined as "real life" vs. "online life". Well, the strongest point of the conversation for me, was the acknowledgement that as of now, "online" has become the "real". The old distinction is no longer valid when we note how "online" affects everything in our lives now.

So...after that little recollection, I fully believe your feelings are normal and healthy in today's world.

And again, thoughts and prayers.

Sorry for your loss. It's not surprising to me at all that people feel this way. In many respects, we "know" online folks more than we know "real" friends. You interract with these people daily....most can't say that about their friends or even family.    

I have many online friends that I'll never meet. I never get how some think you need to meet the person in order to have a true friendship, to care about that person. One of my online friends from fft father passed last week. Been online friends with him for a couple years just chatting. He wound up being one of the biggest supporters during my battle. I sent him a fruit and gourmet snacks basket without a second thought in sympathy.

Sometimes online people make better friends than those irl. They offer a perspective your irl friends may not. Sometimes they are your only friends..

T's & P's MikeIke. xx

I have many online friends that I'll never meet. I never get how some think you need to meet the person in order to have a true friendship, to care about that person. One of my online friends from fft father passed last week. Been online friends with him for a couple years just chatting. He wound up being one of the biggest supporters during my battle. I sent him a fruit and gourmet snacks basket without a second thought in sympathy.

Sometimes online people make better friends than those irl. They offer a perspective your irl friends may not. Sometimes they are your only friends..

T's & P's MikeIke. xx
:goodposting:  I've made several friends from interacting via Twitter. Some of those friends, I've gotten to meet IRL. Some of them have helped get me through some dark times in life. So I get it. We may group them into the category of iFriends, but in reality they're just friends. And like Curly said, sometimes they're better friends than RL "friends." Sorry for the loss of your friend, Mike.  

First of all: this is not about a FBG dying. I don't want to alarm anyone. 

We've lost several FBG's over the years and I've seen the outpouring of community support when it happens. I've felt bad but it's never affected me very personally because I had no prior relationship with the deceased. 

Today I got word that one of my iFriends in an online game I play had died. The game is Castle Clash. I am a guild leader and Tommy was one of my Vice Leaders. He'd been in the hospital for several weeks and I'd had no communication with him. He hasn't logged into the game for 15 days. 

Today, we got a message in the chat room that Tommy had died the previous week. I guess his family had opened his phone and taken the time to go through his messages to let people know that he was  gone. 

This has affected me WAY more than I would have expected . I've been in a funk all day. I've never met this guy. He was a 28 year old In England, I'm a 43 year old in America. We had nothing in common other than the game we both played. 

Yet, I cried when I heard of his death. 

It's strange how we can be affected by the deaths of people we've never met. I cried when Chance died. I cried When Connor died. I cried when Riley died. But those were more sadness about a child dying, and seeing how it affected the parents. 

This is a friend of mine, whom I've "known" for almost 4 years. Even though I've never met him, I will miss him. 

I just find it odd how profoundly you can be affected by the death of someone you've ever met. Other than that, I don't have any real point to make. Thanks for hearing me out, FBG's. 
Sorry for your loss. He was your friend regardless if you met him or not. It makes you human.

Through the foundation of my daughter's condition I became very close with the president. I talked to her a lot on facebook messenger and finally met her and her family a few weeks ago. I consider her a close friend even though I have only known her less than a year and only met her once. Anyway, she has stage 4 cancer and I seriously dread the future when she passes. It will impact me dramatically.

I have an online friend that I've "known" for over 15 years.  I just fell in love with one of his dogs, a completely cute spaniel.  I was just crushed when the dog died a few months back.  And that was a dog I'd never met.  I have no idea how it will be when my online buds go.  I guess that's as "real" as it needs to be.

My condolences on your loss.

I had the good fortune to have a lot of interaction with Shining Path. We talked via PM. I was hoping to visit with him some time. I came back after being gone a bit just in time to find out he passed. It absolutely broke my heart. I still think about him. I still miss him.

We are social animals and we were meant to care.

Users who are viewing this thread