What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the Jets tanking 2017 season intentionally? (1 Viewer)

stlrams

Footballguy
With Sam Darnold, USC QB,  probably coming out next year, are the Jets looking for #1 draft spot?  No free agent signing, letting go B Marshall, no re-signing of current players, cutting numerous vets.     

The McCown signing tells me they are looking QB early in this draft, perhaps round 1, but recognize the guys coming out aren't ready to start week 1. McCown in a bridge QB on a 1 year contract.

With Sam Darnold, USC QB,  probably coming out next year, are the Jets looking for #1 draft spot?  No free agent signing, letting go B Marshall, no re-signing of current players, cutting numerous vets.     
They signed a few players. They are rebuilding for sure. They need to. The veterans they cut would no longer help this team and had bad contracts, and they had limited cap space. Those decisions were smart for building a team and not necessarily "tanking" (which doesn't really happen in the NFL).  

If they were tanking why would they sign Josh McCown (who has put together some decent stretches) instead of rolling Bryce Petty out there?

Yeah I'm not sure they are bad enough to get pick 1 with teams like Chicago, Cleveland, Rams and my top pick for the 1 spot SF

Yeah I'm not sure they are bad enough to get pick 1 with teams like Chicago, Cleveland, Rams and my top pick for the 1 spot SF
Problem is 3 of 4 of these teams will probably want one of Darnoid, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen who all could be franchise type QB. Damn Mason Randolph and Luke Falk might be better than top QB this year. Great year to suck if you need QB

We Jets fans know that team brass is not shrewd enough to tank.

Seriously though, Maccagnan and Bowles clearly know that they are managing/coaching for their jobs. Tanking for next year would only benefit their successors. Never mind next year - this year's draft is key.

No, and last year this time people were jabbering about Rosen from USC, so Darnold as the next Elway might need to tap the brakes.

No, and by getting McCown, it will likely bump them from being a bottom three team.  They also aren't as cap room rich as some of the other sucky teams, so they really did not have much of a choice in regards to FA.

At this point I would agree that rebuilding may be a better term and it is probably needed.  Signing McCown and at this point holding Decker seems to suggest they are in the process of rebuilding.

I don't know if you can say they are intentionally tanking the season but they have stated that they are open to trading down in every round of the draft and they have cut a ton of large salaries off their cap.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-open-trading-nfl-draft-article-1.2988285

Jets open to trading down in every round of NFL Draft

INDIANAPOLIS - General manager Mike Maccagnan ...

...  "We're open for business every round," Maccagnan said Friday. "If somebody wants to move up and we have a pick in that round, call us up. Any pick."

The Jets are in full-fledged rebuilding mode coming off a five-win season. Maccagnan has slashed his payroll by $46 million in the past couple weeks with the idea of setting a proper foundation that could help this star-crossed franchise finally achieve sustainable success.

Could be wrong (obviously) but I think Chicago and the Rams don't get top 5 picks next year, possibly not top 10.  Unless they get Cousins I agree with SF, then the jets.

I don't know if you can say they are intentionally tanking the season but they have stated that they are open to trading down in every round of the draft and they have cut a ton of large salaries off their cap.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-open-trading-nfl-draft-article-1.2988285

Jets open to trading down in every round of NFL Draft

INDIANAPOLIS - General manager Mike Maccagnan ...

...  "We're open for business every round," Maccagnan said Friday. "If somebody wants to move up and we have a pick in that round, call us up. Any pick."

The Jets are in full-fledged rebuilding mode coming off a five-win season. Maccagnan has slashed his payroll by $46 million in the past couple weeks with the idea of setting a proper foundation that could help this star-crossed franchise finally achieve sustainable success.
Trading down isn't even remotely related to "tanking". They wouldn't be trading pick 6 for pick 24 straight up - they would just be looking to acquire more picks.

I know it's popular to think that teams "tank" - but this isn't the NBA. Even the poster child team for tanking, won their last two games of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some team needs to make the smart move. Only one gets Sam Darnold....assuming he declares for the 2018 draft.

The Mckown signing in no way signifies the Jets are trying to remain competitive.  I believe Mckown 12-48 over his career..   I agree with petefrum that Jets hoping for below 3 finish that guarantees one of 3 top qbs...

Nobody can tank in the NFL. If you are a player, you are an injury or a down year away from being out of the league unless you are an elite talent. The financial cost of tanking to a player makes purposeful losing a practical impossibility.

If you are a coach, assistant coach, or front office personnel- if you tank- you will never get another job. 

In no way is Todd Bowles saying: "Well, yes I'm going to tank so we can get a high draft pick."

Tomorrow is promised to no one in the NFL.

Now- if the Jets are sitting at 2-11, is it possible that a more subtle proposition, such as sitting veterans and playing rookies, ensues- than yes, but it is absurd to suggest a full six months before the first game is even played that the Jets are tanking. The financial costs are simply too high for everyone.

Nobody can tank in the NFL. If you are a player, you are an injury or a down year away from being out of the league unless you are an elite talent. The financial cost of tanking to a player makes purposeful losing a practical impossibility.

If you are a coach, assistant coach, or front office personnel- if you tank- you will never get another job. 

In no way is Todd Bowles saying: "Well, yes I'm going to tank so we can get a high draft pick."

Now- if the Jets are sitting at 2-11, is it possible that a more subtle proposition, such as sitting veterans and playing rookies, ensues- than yes, but it is absurd to suggest a full six months before the first game is even played that the Jets are tanking. The financial costs are simply too high for everyone.
Let's just call this what this is, rebuilding.

When you rebuild a team you typically let your high priced veterans and close-to-retirement level players walk. You aren't super active in FA because you have your own garbage to deal with why spend money on someone else's. Rebuilding takes time. Teams typically do it in stages. You see this in the Chicago thread. I feel like some in there want the team to instantly be great. But some realize it takes time. The Jets need to see what they have in youth and how that plays into their plans to completely remake the team

Sure that means they won't win a lot of games next year, and maybe the year after, but they will accumulate some youth that will hopefully (for them) set themselves up for success for years. 

I feel like we have this discussion when teams go from floundering in obscurity to finally admitting they need a complete rebuild. People accuse them of tanking. No. No one is tanking. They are rebuilding. 

Does Brandon Marshall seriously factor into the 5 year plan in NY? 

Uh, no.  Two of them :P

Compare McCown's 2015 (64%, 7.2ypa, 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 93.3 qb rating) to what you would expect out of Bryce Petty.
Well, he's two years older and apparently brittle as hell. So I'm pretty sure we'll get to see them both. And I guess his 2015 could count as a "decent stretch" but the fact that it was broken up with two different stretches of missed games kind of taints it in my mind. I know nobody likes Cutler, but I think they'd win more games with him than McCown/Petty. But now that I think about it, he's getting kind of brittle, too.

Well, he's two years older and apparently brittle as hell. So I'm pretty sure we'll get to see them both. And I guess his 2015 could count as a "decent stretch" but the fact that it was broken up with two different stretches of missed games kind of taints it in my mind. I know nobody likes Cutler, but I think they'd win more games with him than McCown/Petty. But now that I think about it, he's getting kind of brittle, too.
They would maybe win 4 more games, at best, with Cutler - he is better than that tandem as a talent, yes, but is also a turnover machine (and brittle now as you said).

Sure if you want to say that they are "tanking" in that respect by not signing the very best available option, but what's the point in spending $16MM on an aging QB with a poor reputation of getting along with teammates just to go 6-10 or 7-9? That just doesn't make sense from a team building perspective.

get pick 6 this year and going for pick one next year can net good gains for the future. do jets fans want to go 1-15 get first pick or go 5-11 and get 8th pick? Browns showed there is no penalty in tanking for a top pick. 

They would maybe win 4 more games, at best, with Cutler - he is better than that tandem as a talent, yes, but is also a turnover machine (and brittle now as you said).

Sure if you want to say that they are "tanking" in that respect by not signing the very best available option, but what's the point in spending $16MM on an aging QB with a poor reputation of getting along with teammates just to go 6-10 or 7-9? That just doesn't make sense from a team building perspective.
I just don't understand why they'd sign anyone if they're shooting for 7-9 best case scenario. Does Roger require teams to at least pretend to make an effort? To me it just looks a lot like the Kerry Collins signing by Indy when they got Luck. And for the record, I'm not 100% sure what was going on there. Part of me agrees with you that there isn't tanking in the NFL, but part of me (with the benefit/bias of hindsight) thinks Indy did tank for Luck.

Either way, I empathize with you Jets fans. As a Texans fan I think the only difference between the two teams is that we're in an easier division. The level of management is similarly poor between the two teams. 

I just don't understand why they'd sign anyone if they're shooting for 7-9 best case scenario. Does Roger require teams to at least pretend to make an effort? To me it just looks a lot like the Kerry Collins signing by Indy when they got Luck. And for the record, I'm not 100% sure what was going on there. Part of me agrees with you that there isn't tanking in the NFL, but part of me (with the benefit/bias of hindsight) thinks Indy did tank for Luck.

Either way, I empathize with you Jets fans. As a Texans fan I think the only difference between the two teams is that we're in an easier division. The level of management is similarly poor between the two teams. 
Indy won their last two games that season almost costing them the No. 1 overall slot.

I think the Jets signed McCown as a glorified QB coach. They will give him a few starts and he'll either get injured and/or they will turn to Petty or Hack. They need to see if either of them have a future before deciding what to do long term. Obviously they realize that there are some highly regarded QBs coming out next year and are willing to admit that this will be a down year. I think what they are doing is necessary and frankly I'm a little shocked that Woody is letting it happen in NY.

The #1 spot is probably going to go to some surprising team with an injury, like if Rivers or Brees goes down early in the year.  The Browns could be surprisingly good this year if their QB can play ok.

Bottom 5 Prediction!  San Fran, Redskins, Jacksonville, Saints, Arizona.

Ack88 said:

Tanking comes from the very top. Owner level. 1st it requires a smart owner. Usually if you are a smart owner, you don't get into this predicament however. Bowles is not at all involved in a tanking scenario. He's simply a sacrifice. He has no say. The Jets are perfectly positioned right now for Sam Darnold. If I am the owner, I am making all the calls on FA signings.

For the first time in the free agency era, the Jets are handling the free agency portion of the offseason with aplomb.

I think they've finally come to peace with the fact they will not be competitive while Brady walks the field.

Damn, 15 minutes late. I was going to hop in here and sarcastically state "Back it up! They just signed Quinton Patton!"

Users who are viewing this thread