What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Neil Gorsuch Thread (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
I don't have anything interesting to say, but it occurred to me that if Colin Kaepernick is worthy of two threads in the FFA, then surely the guy replacing Antonin Scalia deserves one.

Washington Post  @washingtonpost
Democrats plan to filibuster nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to Supreme Court wapo.st/2nb8Oo1

--

I said this before, but I think this is the wrong move. I know the Repubs acted reprehensibly and stole a S.Ct. nomination. But someone has to be the adults. Someone has to care about this country and stop putting party over country.

Dems should have a vote on Gorsuch and not filibuster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Democrats plan to filibuster nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to Supreme Court wapo.st/2nb8Oo1

--

I said this before, but I think this is the wrong move. I know the Repubs acted reprehensibly and stole a S.Ct. nomination. But someone has to be the adults. Someone has to care about this country and stop putting party over country.

Honestly, I'm not terribly well-informed on how things are going with Gorsuch's nomination and whether there are any legitimate concerns regarding his confirmation, but getting reversed in an 8-0 decision by the Supreme Court while you are sitting in your confirmation hearing can't be a good development.  Not to mention the fact that Gorsuch's decision, in addition to  apparently being wrong on the law, was wrong at the expense of a child with autism.  Ouch.

Gorsuch was the law school roommate of Ken Mehlman who was my fraternity president in college. Mehlman ran GWB's campaigns and apparently got mentioned by Al Franken yesterday as offering Gorsuch a white house job when W won in 2000. 

Honestly, I'm not terribly well-informed on how things are going with Gorsuch's nomination and whether there are any legitimate concerns regarding his confirmation, but getting reversed in an 8-0 decision by the Supreme Court while you are sitting in your confirmation hearing can't be a good development.  Not to mention the fact that Gorsuch's decision, in addition to  apparently being wrong on the law, was wrong at the expense of a child with autism.  Ouch.
And that may be a very legit reason to vote no on Gorsuch. I guess my point is, I wish they would actually go to the vote. And not filibuster. To which the Repubs are going to destroy the filibuster.

I just wish they would go back to civil, healthy disagreement between the two parties. I think that starts with acting civilly. Not using the filibuster option.

Maybe I'm wrong or naive.

And that may be a very legit reason to vote no on Gorsuch. I guess my point is, I wish they would actually go to the vote. And not filibuster. To which the Repubs are going to destroy the filibuster.

I just wish they would go back to civil, healthy disagreement between the two parties. I think that starts with acting civilly. Not using the filibuster option.

Maybe I'm wrong or naive.
I say this in every one of these threads but there's no going back unless we get a constitutional amendment ending lifetime Supreme Court appointments.  There's just too much at stake right now to play nice.

It wasn't his decision. It was a decision citing one of his decisions which was in turn relying on a prior 10th Circuit decision (which wasn't his). And that's the best the Dems have come up with despite Gorsuch's participation in nearly 3000 cases. They haven't come close to demonstrating a good faith argument against confirmation that is based on Gorsuch's record. 

It's a news headline but nothing more.

Gorsuch will be our next SC justice and, quite frankly, he's one of the better choices (if not the best) for a position the current administration has put in place.

It wasn't his decision. It was a decision citing one of his decisions which was in turn relying on a prior 10th Circuit decision (which wasn't his). And that's the best the Dems have come up with despite Gorsuch's participation in nearly 3000 cases. They haven't come close to demonstrating a good faith argument against confirmation that is based on Gorsuch's record. 
As I understand it, his decision was the one that established the incorrect "merely" standard. That's where the screw up occurred. He misread the prior 10th Circuit decision and thus inappropriately lowered the standard. 

It's a news headline but nothing more.

Gorsuch will be our next SC justice and, quite frankly, he's one of the better choices (if not the best) for a position the current administration has put in place.
I imagine he'll get hazed by his new colleagues over it. For sure they're gonna give him a hard time (good naturedly).

apparently, I went to college with him.

only thing I can offer is that the frat he belonged to was full of guys I mostly found jerky, but they also were the main provider of the yayo on campus. 

opinions I've read, I haven't necessarily agreed with from a gut-feeling level... but he comes across as a guy who believes in the law and isn't necessarily a partisan nutjob. hopefully won't #### things up for me and my kids over the rest of my life.

eta: IIRC, there was a date-rape connection with the frat... I think it was Fiji. but that could've just been more about them behaving jerkily.

whoknew said:

--

I agree, but when the party doubles down on establishment types after Hillary lost to freakin' Trump, I expect nothing less.  The face of the party is Pelosi, Schumer, and Perez for Christ sake!

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I say this in every one of these threads but there's no going back unless we get a constitutional amendment ending lifetime Supreme Court appointments.  There's just too much at stake right now to play nice.
And we don't disagree on the importance.  I posted this one Supreme Court thread, but assuming the Martin-Quinn scores accurately represents a good measure of liberal-conservative leanings, had Garland been anyway near as liberal as the other four liberals, it would have been the most liberal leaning court in any of our lifetimes. 

Users who are viewing this thread