What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blandino will rule on all replays to speed up play (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Goodell announced that this coming season Dean Blandino will make the final call on all replays instead of the refs on the field to speed up play.  Although Blandino is a doosh and tweets like Trump I think this is a good idea to take it away from the field refs. 

Looks like a done deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a good call by NFL but if he's sole judge and jury for replay calls he can't be doing stuff any longer like hanging out with the Jones family on the Cowboys party bus. People are going to be searching for some kind of bias or creating conspiracy theories when he makes a call they don't agree with.

They are discussing it, it's not a done deal.  They haven't actually committed Blandino to it either, just that they will all be centralized at league headquarters.  I'm guessing Blandino will be heavily involved early on but I doubt he's making every single call.  Hopefully they are smart enough to get this done fast.  If nothing else, there will be consistency in their inconsistency.

What happens with simultaneous reviews?
Really don`t think it can be any slower that it is now.  Just like when Blandino goes to the rest room he probably says to the guy next to him.."Hey Joe..take over the reviews for 5 minutes nobody will ever know. 

That's why it won't be Blandino only.  He probably won't even be making any decisions aside from training and maybe advising the team responsible.
Now that makes more sense than him alone. 

How many replays do you typically see on TV before the challenge is even thrown?   They'll have the tape already queued up and a decision probably made.
I assumed this would include all scoring plays which could be a lot at one time - if he was doing this alone.  

But in general, no, centralizing a process does not make it quicker.  It might have a lot of other benefits, like consistency. 

Good idea to finally centralize it. Probably would be best with a committee of 3 that each give a quick vote. 

Good idea to finally centralize it. Probably would be best with a committee of 3 that each give a quick vote. 
It might work well but man, "centralize this and form a committee!" usually doesn't expedite things.  

What's the NFL going to do with all the lost ad time from not taking a commercial break during the review process? 

This review brought to you by Jimmy Johns. Reviews so fast you freak! 

-OZ- said:
It might work well but man, "centralize this and form a committee!" usually doesn't expedite things.  
Seems like this case might be an exception though.  I don't watch NHL but people here seem to be saying that it sped things up for them.  And how often when we're watching an NFL game do we see a quick replay and know the result of the challenge before the ref has even started walking over to the replay area?  It seems fairly often that we see a quick replay, announcer says "yep obviously this one will be an easy overturn" and we're still left waiting 6 or 7 minutes for the next snap.

Which is more embarrassing for a referee:

To have a coach challenge you. You walk over to the review booth, see the play from multiple angles, and say "yeah I messed that up"
To have a coach challenge you. You stand there waiting for someone else to tell you how bad you messed up. 

Point is, I think this leads to better officiating. 

Which is more embarrassing for a referee:

To have a coach challenge you. You walk over to the review booth, see the play from multiple angles, and say "yeah I messed that up"
To have a coach challenge you. You stand there waiting for someone else to tell you how bad you messed up. 

Point is, I think this leads to better officiating. 

Exactly. If confirmation of the call he or his crew made isn't clearly evident, he'll spend additional time searching for it. It's basic human psychology.

Seems like this case might be an exception though.  I don't watch NHL but people here seem to be saying that it sped things up for them.  And how often when we're watching an NFL game do we see a quick replay and know the result of the challenge before the ref has even started walking over to the replay area?  It seems fairly often that we see a quick replay, announcer says "yep obviously this one will be an easy overturn" and we're still left waiting 6 or 7 minutes for the next snap.
The idea is growing on me, you're probably right. 

Am I missing something?  The vast majority of instant replays are now television timeouts.  This includes some, but not all, reviews inside the two-minute warning.  What, exactly, is being sped up?

-OZ- said:

I assumed this would include all scoring plays which could be a lot at one time - if he was doing this alone.  

But in general, no, centralizing a process does not make it quicker.  It might have a lot of other benefits, like consistency. 
In a vacuum I agree, but this is a case where a lot of them are going to be queued up by the time the call needs to be made.  It's not like they are going to be sitting there waiting for the red flag to be shown before they even look at something.  Staffing will be important but this seems like something that's easy to handle.  How often do you see something on TV and know on first look his foot was on the line or the call was coming loose?  That call is made before they even have to go to commercial.

-OZ- said:

Checking scoring plays and turnovers to see if an actual review should take place has been done by the booth at the stadium. And then if they see something that makes it review-worthy then ref goes under the hood and does the review.

I haven't seen anything yet to suggest the booth's role is going away, have you? Just seen that instead of the ref going to the hood and having final say, now they are going to hand a tablet to the ref to view video and that Blandino has final say though the ref and he can talk still, as before.

Users who are viewing this thread