What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-time greatest SNL cast members (1 Viewer)

Best host

• Alec Baldwin

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Candice Bergen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert DeNiro

• John Goodman

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Tom Hanks

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Buck Henry

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Peyton Manning

• Steve Martin

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Richard Pryor

• Justin Timberlake

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Christopher Walken

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (specify)

• Total voters

GregR

Footballguy
Based on just their SNL body of work, who are your picks for greatest of all time?  

Links to SNL clips encouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Chris Rock best but went with Charlie Murphy's brother.  Kate Mck is REALLY versatile. Tina Fay is tough to pass on.  I went Kate.  Timbalake of course.

Belushi, Fey, and Martin.  Between Belushi and Murphey was a coin toss.  Gumby and Mr. Robinson were two of the best. 

It surprised me in trying to put the lists together... that Billy Crystal was only a cast member for one season. I'd probably have bet a lot of money that wasn't the case.

Tried to find the Steve Martin tribute to Gilda Radner. The ones I found had been removed or wouldn't play. :(

Jane Curtin at least should have made the list.  Top 5 SNL female for me. 

I voted Phil Hartman for best male cast member.  Had more range and longevity than the others.  His cast mates called him "The Glue" because he could hold together any sketch he was in, lead or bit player.  

For similar reasons, I picked Jan Hooks for best female cast member.  Though I suspect Kate McKinnon will surpass Hooks in my mind by the time she's done at SNL.

Best host has gotta be Steve Martin.  He's been in all-time great sketches in at least three different decades, brought a lot of fun and good music, too.  

Murphy

Poehler

Baldwin

Poehler was much more versatile than Fey IMO. The show was dying a slow death before Murphy arrived. 

The correct answer is Hartman, Poehler, and JT.
This, though that might just be our era. 

Belushi/Martin and gilda might be better but they're before I watched much. 

My first thought for male was Adam Sandler but that's definitely due to timing. 

The correct answer is Hartman, Poehler, and JT.
This, though that might just be our era. 

Belushi/Martin and gilda might be better but they're before I watched much. 

My first thought for male was Adam Sandler but that's definitely due to timing. 
I'm old.  I picked those based on the OP requirement of "body of work".  That original cast just wasn't around long enough.

1. John Belushi (by a good margin...the breadth of enduring characters was amazing)
  2. Tina Fey (Gilda Radner close 2nd)
  3. Steve Martin (JT gets the silver)

I'm old.  I picked those based on the OP requirement of "body of work".  That original cast just wasn't around long enough.
Roseanna Roseanna Danna (sp?)

Drunken Rock star singer

Miss Emily Matilda

Judy Miller (probably the funniest thing I've seen a woman castmember do on SNL)

While Poehler's most certainly funny, I'm not finding anything she did besting any of the above.

Drunken Rock star singer

Miss Emily Matilda

Judy Miller (probably the funniest thing I've seen a woman castmember do on SNL)

While Poehler's most certainly funny, I'm not finding anything she did besting any of the above.
I wouldn't disagree with Gilda as the choice.  I'm actually in the "anybody but Wiig" camp.

I obviously haven't watched this show much at all the last ten years being I don't even know who Wiig is (goggled it and still don't recognize her).

Went Farley, Fay and Walken myself

I voted Phil Hartman for best male cast member.  Had more range and longevity than the others.  His cast mates called him "The Glue" because he could hold together any sketch he was in, lead or bit player.  

For similar reasons, I picked Jan Hooks for best female cast member.  Though I suspect Kate McKinnon will surpass Hooks in my mind by the time she's done at SNL.

Best host has gotta be Steve Martin.  He's been in all-time great sketches in at least three different decades, brought a lot of fun and good music, too.  
same

same

same

Show hasn't been worth a darn in over a decade.  I don't know anyone who watches it anymore.  At the most it's a YouTube clip days later.

Accounting for both longevity and impact:

1. Will Farrell
2. Eddie Murphy
3. Phil Hartman
4. Dana Carvey

1. Tina Fey
2. Kristen Wiig
3. Molly Shannon
4. Kate McKinnon

1. Steve Martin
2. John Goodman
3. Tom Hanks
4. Alec Baldwin

My rankings are mostly based on "who made me laugh so much that I talked about the skit with my friends for weeks afterwards".

It's difficult to rank the early cast members because they made their biggest impact in the movies. Eddie Murphy is an exception to that rule, however -- but that just shows you how much of an impact Murphy had on our culture in 1982-84. There was no bigger SNL star before or after.

Belush, Poehler, Martin

Belushi - I'm actually surprised he's doing well in the early votes here, because he usually gets overlooked in these. There are a half dozen SNL males i actually prefer @ times, but JB gets the originalist, Babe Ruth vote from me cuz he blew the doors off what people thought was funny and said, "no, #### you, comedy is anger turned sideways and i got here just in ####in time". SNL dont make three years without him. Plus, he stole a sketch (Gary Gilmore Christmas Special) from my radio show so i kinda gotta.

Poehler - I loveloveloved Gilda (my last week in the east, i was there when she broke her rib doing Judy Miller and "Dancing in the Dark" is still my favorite SNL sketch) and Wiig best combines insane & versatile of any cast member ever, but Poehler's got dinosaurballs. Best comedy acting ever done when she disappears inside one of her characters.

Martin - That SNL broke him out and he returned the favor is probably the most important happenstance in show, and therefore modern comedy, history. Plus, the longevity

Omissions

Al Franken was on 15 years (1975-80; 1985-95) & should be nominated for the Stuart Smalley character alone. 

Jon Lovitz, greatest eyebrows in showbiz. Master of being a creepy guy.

Adam Sandler not on the list? You know else who is a Jew? Hall of Famer Rod Carew.

People are really selecting Will Farrell as the best male?  Just wow.
There's a generation he was the first big star they saw so I think it's expected. There weren't a lot of great sketches during that time but he had the better of them.

But yeah, I think you put him in with any of the premiere groups over the history of the show and he'd have been just a bit player amongst them.

Limp Ditka said:

Drunken Rock star singer

Miss Emily Matilda

Emily Litella.   Violins on television

Chris Farley was on when I was in college.  I always thought he was the most overrated comedian I ever saw (not counting Jiffy Jeff).

Users who are viewing this thread