What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mutton bustin' - People in the south are uncivilized (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I feel like I've spent most of my adult life trying to PREVENT my girls from putting on helmets and getting launched like missiles into a herd of trampling animals. And yet down south they do this for sport.

I feel like with this revelation, and Trump, and everything else I learn, each day I'm left feeling better about the way that whole civil war thing panned out. 

NO STEP ON SNEK

They eat those ####ers too. Bbq them like pork shoulder. Crazy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How far are people in these states really from "hey let's do UFC with 5 year olds at halftime"?

:lmao:   My kids did this at the San Antonio Rodeo a few years back.

Pretty sure it was the greatest day of their lives.

Harmless.

I don't see the problem.

If we start teaching our children to respect animals then what's next? Blacks? Jews? Women?

Here is the conversation between Cruz and Gorsuch.

Cruz: I understand that you like to take your law clerks — some of them very much not from the West – to the Denver rodeo every year, and to have them observe and react to cattle roping and bronc riding and mutton busting. Is that true? And can you share a bit of your experiences and, even better, theirs in that regard?

Gorsuch: I get a lot of law clerks from my area ... but I get plenty from out of the area too. And we have a great rodeo in Denver every year, Grand National. It begins with a parade down 17th Street —which would be like a parade down Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. — where you have cattle. It's a cattle drive down the main road in Denver. They shut it down. That's how you mark the opening of the grand national. And the closing of the Grand National is celebrated by the prize steer getting to spend a little time in the Brown Palace Hotel [a well-known ritzy hotel in Denver]. ...

The kids show their animals. My kids never made it to the Grand National; they’re more county-fair types, with their chickens and their rabbits and their dogs and whatever. …
And then there's mutton busting. And I think my children still have PTSD from mutton busting. [Cruz laughs.]

I feel like I've spent most of my adult life trying to PREVENT my girls from putting on helmets and getting launched like missiles into a herd of trampling animals. And yet down south they do this for sport.

I feel like with this revelation, and Trump, and everything else I learn, each day I'm left feeling better about the way that whole civil war thing panned out. 

NO STEP ON SNEK
And, every once in a while, they'll shear said sheep and use the wool to make cool clothes and not hoodies that cost $95.

Most Rodeo's I've been to in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming have a mutton bustin event. They are crazy fun - kids really love it.

National Western also has 4H Catch a Calf - where they release calves into the arena and kids have to rope them and bring them into pen - it's like a musical chairs game. After that kids get to keep a calf for a year and bring it back to show. Then they have an auction where kids make some decent money for scholarships to CSU and other schools.

Most Rodeo's I've been to in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming have a mutton bustin event. They are crazy fun - kids really love it.

National Western also has 4H Catch a Calf - where they release calves into the arena and kids have to rope them and bring them into pen - it's like a musical chairs game. After that kids get to keep a calf for a year and bring it back to show. Then they have an auction where kids make some decent money for scholarships to CSU and other schools.
His link is to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, they've been doing a Calf Scramble for decades upon decades since the '40s. Mutton Bustin' is a little newer for the last 10~15 years or so at the Houston Rodeo after they copied it from some other rodeo's. Both my nephews did Mutton Bustin' when they were 5 and had a blast. Mutton Bustin' is probably many in the audience's favorite part of the rodeo.

IIRC, the Denver Rodeo is credited with inventing Mutton Busting in the '80's.

His link is to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, they've been doing a Calf Scramble for decades upon decades since the '40s. Mutton Bustin' is a little newer for the last 10~15 years or so at the Houston Rodeo after they copied it from some other rodeo's. Both my nephews did Mutton Bustin' when they were 5 and had a blast. Mutton Bustin' is probably many in the audience's favorite part of the rodeo.

IIRC, the Denver Rodeo is credited with inventing Mutton Busting in the '80's.
Yea - the National Western in Denver has been doing it since I've been going in the 80's.

No offense but Florida doesn't really count. You're basically New Jersey. 

Yes Texas, I'm looking at you. 
You've never driven the back roads from Tampa to Jacksonville.  Trillacoochee, Lochloosa, Melrose...plenty of small towns that are definitely Southern. Heck you can even include prosperous Ocala, horse country.

More to the state than the Mouse and beaches. You'd be surprised how quickly it becomes rural when you're more than 30 miles inland.

Odds this thread has karmically destined Otis' daughters to working 2nd shift at Scores? 2:1

Users who are viewing this thread