What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle-aged White Mortality has Skyrocketed (1 Viewer)

I find this interesting in light of all the conversations around here lately.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-research-identifies-a-sea-of-despair-among-white-working-class-americans/2017/03/22/c777ab6e-0da6-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?utm_term=.05a3e5a9d966

Offering what they call a tentative but “plausible” explanation, they write that less-educated white Americans who struggle in the job market in early adulthood are likely to experience a “cumulative disadvantage” over time, with health and personal problems that often lead to drug overdoses, alcohol-related liver disease and suicide.

“Ultimately, we see our story as about the collapse of the white, high-school-educated working class after its heyday in the early 1970s, and the pathologies that accompany that decline,” they conclude.

This isn't surprising by any means.  There is a significant amount of angry (mostly sad) white working class people that time forgot in the USA.  They are uneducated and they are used to jobs being handed to them with no skill and no education.  That day is gone so they have turned to drinking and drugs.  The level of mental illness in this country is astounding

This isn't surprising by any means.  There is a significant amount of angry (mostly sad) white working class people that time forgot in the USA.  They are uneducated and they are used to jobs being handed to them with no skill and no education.  That day is gone so they have turned to drinking and drugs.  The level of mental illness in this country is astounding
They were bound to catch up with the rest of the unskilled, uneducated population sooner or later.

Just to add I think everyone saw this coming but typical of this country nobody cared enough to head it off.  I think we have a lot farther to drop before things get better.  

Just to add I think everyone saw this coming but typical of this country nobody cared enough to head it off.  I think we have a lot farther to drop before things get better.  
Come on.  Tons of ways to better your life available to large segments of the population.  If they don't put the work in and take advantage it's their problem.  

Boo hoo

Come on.  Tons of ways to better your life available to large segments of the population.  If they don't put the work in and take advantage it's their problem.  

Boo hoo
Except the economic consequences to our country are huge in terms of productivity, innovation and social cohesion.  But it takes a couple brain cells to actually think through what the consequences of a large swatch of uneducated mentally ill people with no job and no hope will have on the country as a whole

I find this odd...I thought every white guy has been on easy street since day 1...
They have been on easy street from day 1...they are no longer on easy street.  You can't drop out of high school and work at the steel mill the rest of your life in a well paying unionized job...

I know it's been nothing but roses for me my entire life.  I mean I'm tired of how ####### easy life is
Agreed...I hate when the personal trainer arrives late...starts my day off on the wrong foot and usually makes me late for the polo match...

Agreed...I hate when the personal trainer arrives late...starts my day off on the wrong foot and usually makes me late for the polo match...
Seriously, most nights there is nothing to watch on my 350+ channels on my 60 inch tv

something about personal accountability, bootstraps, handouts... uhh.. lazy... entitlement.  i'm missing some buzzwords here.  uh, go back home.. something about genetics and inherent inability.

Your life would be very tough...just like it would be in a rural town with no jobs...
I don't know if it it's 'just like'...it would be tougher than growing up in the burbs for sure however.  Comparing say compton to say grayling michigan isn't exactly the same experience

These were all the people that have probably been saying "I don't do computers" for the past 20 years.

ITT i learned that the ####hole of a 'hood i grew up in - and all the people lost to drugs/suicide/murders/prison - was a mere figment of my ####### imagination ... i am now #woke from that dream, and realize that it's not possible to have witnessed all of that in a predominately white area circa 70s/80s.

im'ma go buy me a Frappuccino, and relish this 'cleansing' 

:coffee:

I find this interesting in light of all the conversations around here lately.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-research-identifies-a-sea-of-despair-among-white-working-class-americans/2017/03/22/c777ab6e-0da6-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?utm_term=.05a3e5a9d966

Offering what they call a tentative but “plausible” explanation, they write that less-educated white Americans who struggle in the job market in early adulthood are likely to experience a “cumulative disadvantage” over time, with health and personal problems that often lead to drug overdoses, alcohol-related liver disease and suicide.

“Ultimately, we see our story as about the collapse of the white, high-school-educated working class after its heyday in the early 1970s, and the pathologies that accompany that decline,” they conclude.
This is sad. I was going to make a joke about white privilege, but I don't find any of this to be funny.  People are hurting in this country and a lot of that is coming down to jobs. You can talk about how illegals are good for the economy and how globalization is good for our economy, but if the majority of people in our country aren't the ones benefiting then it doesn't matter. Economy is suppose to serve all people, not just the super rich.

This is sad. I was going to make a joke about white privilege, but I don't find any of this to be funny.  People are hurting in this country and a lot of that is coming down to jobs. You can talk about how illegals are good for the economy and how globalization is good for our economy, but if the majority of people in our country aren't the ones benefiting then it doesn't matter. Economy is suppose to serve all people, not just the super rich.
It's an economy based around education not picking tobacco or mining coal...these people did not adapt. In fact most of them think education is for the elites...it's not, its for getting a job

It's an economy based around education not picking tobacco or mining coal...these people did not adapt. In fact most of them think education is for the elites...it's not, its for getting a job
You're just repeating the propaganda that you were brainwashed into believing. The truth is the rich got greedy and flooded the competition(with illegals and slave labor in different countries) so the wages would go way down

You're just repeating the propaganda that you were brainwashed into believing. The truth is the rich got greedy and flooded the competition(with illegals and slave labor in different countries) so the wages would go way down
Your right it has nothing to do with dropping out of high school...those people should be making 60k a year mining coal.  

Your right it has nothing to do with dropping out of high school...those people should be making 60k a year mining coal.  
You're right, only people that graduate from college should make a living. Who cares if that person's strength is working with their hands, we have millions of illegals and slave labor for that. Tough luck

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, only people that graduate from college deserve to make a living. Who cares if that person's strength is working with his hands, we have millions of illegals and slave labor for that. Tough luck
No one deserves anything. You have a skill and you get paid what its worth. You like working with your hands? Great. You can make a pretty good wage as a plumber, HVAC guy or mechanic. 

You're right, only people that graduate from college deserve to make a living. Who cares if that person's strength is working with his hands, we have millions of illegals and slave labor for that. Tough luck
Those people can clean toilets for $6 an hour as much as they want. 

Or they can start their own business making cabinets for people with educations....

You make it sound like immigrants are taking the jobs in the factories, mills and mines.  They aren't they are taking the jobs cleaning motels and picking blueberries in 110 degree heat for minimum wage.  

No one deserves anything. You have a skill and you get paid what its worth. You like working with your hands? Great. You can make a pretty good wage as a plumber, HVAC guy or mechanic. 
Couldn't have said it better...and those jobs are being taken by 'immigrants'

The guy is just straight up racist

People who graduate from college can't work their hands?  Like doctors, engineers, and scientists?  Good to know. 

No, people that are educated deserve to be able to hire cheap labor because they were smart and went to college. Thank God for those 30 million illegals, I tell ya.

I know this guy Jose, you should see the work he does, it is fabulous! Only charges 50 dollars for the entire day too!

No, people that are educated deserve to be able to hire cheap labor because they were smart and went to college. Thank God for those 30 million illegals, I tell ya.
You dont have to be college educated to start a business. You can hire and pay people anything the two of you agree upon. 

Flooded?  So the US has a population of over 318M and, what 15M illegals, have taken all the jobs and driven down wages?  Really?

How about most US born dudes don't want to pick crops, garden, or lay bricks all day everyday?

You dont have to be college educated to start a business. You can hire and pay people anything the two of you agree upon. 
He is the perfect example of the people in the story...refuse to adapt, wish it was the 50s and then blame anyone of color for them being fat, lazy and unemployed

30M illegals?  Hell it's growing exponentially.  The fake media has me believing we had a net migration outflow.  Build the ####### wall already!

Users who are viewing this thread