What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Closer Thread: Bad Day To Be A Blake (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
Word was that Glover could be getting the job in DC.

Not only does that seem very un-Dusty (We're talking a snake eyes roll on the old Dusty Dice ), he just imploded for 3 runs in 1.2 vs STL.

That may lessen the likelihood of Dusty handing the reigns over to a kid and open the door for Kelley or Trenien.

*The thread formally known as......

Who's Getting Coffee (Soon to be called Ef That Guy)

First 'That Guy' - Mark Melancon

Hollandback, girl

Dyson Vacuums Or The Closer: Which Sucks More?

Should You Be Storin' Storen?

Just An Arm Takes Over In Philly

'Mr Daniels, There's A Rick Hahn On The Phone'

Neftali Duenos No Muy Feliz

More Like Fivenando Rodney, Amirite?

Familia Raises Pimp Hand Too Many Times Resulting In A Clot In His Right Shoulder

Allow Me To Be Blunt: The Phillies Bullpen Sucks

Woman Beating Closers Dropping Like Flies

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought the Glover hype is a bit much. The entire industry seemed to uniformly endorse him all at once. The Nats closer situation is a pretty strong avoid in my eyes as they are likely to look elsewhere for help. 

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
I've thought the Glover hype is a bit much. The entire industry seemed to uniformly endorse him all at once. The Nats closer situation is a pretty strong avoid in my eyes as they are likely to look elsewhere for help. 
:goodposting:

I think Blake Treinen gets the job based on the spring he has had and Glover is not nearly as proven. Of course, I could just be hoping for the lottery ticket that I took with the last pick in 2 drafts in the last few days........... 

I don't think you can call Washington an avoid because once they actually pick someone Dusty won't mix and match and he won't change closer if at all possible. I like speculating here because you're going to have a top 10 closer and 2 cuttable guys and you'll know in 1 week. 

Have no idea who they'll pick though. 

I think it will be Glover.  I think they want to go easy with Kelley given the Tommy John history, and they take away Treinen's most valuable skill (inducing DPs) if he only comes in with clean bases in the 9th.

I don't think you can call Washington an avoid because once they actually pick someone Dusty won't mix and match and he won't change closer if at all possible. I like speculating here because you're going to have a top 10 closer and 2 cuttable guys and you'll know in 1 week. 
...and again a few weeks after that.

Glover retired all four batters he face today.  The bandwagon is leaving the station.  All aboard.

Koda Glover retired all four Mets he faced to end the Nationals' 6-0 victory on Monday.
Dusty Baker is still auditioning Glover in advance of a possible closing announcement tonight. Glover didn't face any major leaguers today (he finished the game by striking out Tim Tebow). The only time in recent weeks that he has faced major leaguers, he ended up allowing three runs. We don't think that's all that telling -- Glover isn't lacking in the stuff department -- but nothing about Glover finishing a bunch of Grapefruit League games versus scrubs tells us much about whether he's ready to close.

I grabbed Treinen to go with Glover... if dusty does indeed announce tonight, I figure that player is a top 15 closer immediately. 

Im guessing Glover. 

Nobody on this board has given more love over the years to Johnnie B. Baker than I have but I've come to the conclusion he doesn't care about my pretend baseball teams.

I have Treinen BTW.

Familia is really dropping in all the leagues I'm in.  He's only going to miss a week or two.  Could be a great late pickup.

Familia is really dropping in all the leagues I'm in.  He's only going to miss a week or two.  Could be a great late pickup.
Seems weird. Everyone knew he was going to be suspended. If anything, I would think his value is going up since they announced his suspension would be less than 30 days.  :shrug:

Seems weird. Everyone knew he was going to be suspended. If anything, I would think his value is going up since they announced his suspension would be less than 30 days.  :shrug:
Maybe people are thinking Reed might run with the job, he was pretty dominant last year. 

Familia suspension has been handed down.  15 games.
I don't think that's long enough for Reed to go off and run with the job.  If he's successful, he could give Collins something to think about if Familia struggles but Reed is pretty much of a known quantity at this point in his career.

I like Corey Knebel as a spec. I've been in on Neftali since he was a prospect, I just don't trust him anymore. Broken my heart on a couple occasions. Knebel has thrived in the role at other levels, I think he's got the juice and will get a shot at some point this season. 

I'm throwing $21 FAAB at Treinen in my league where I have no closers on my roster. Figuring the have him for the whole year thing where it makes sense to go big early. Crazy? Genius? The answer surely depends on how long he holds the job...

I'm throwing $21 FAAB at Treinen in my league where I have no closers on my roster. Figuring the have him for the whole year thing where it makes sense to go big early. Crazy? Genius? The answer surely depends on how long he holds the job...
Even though I'm on record for Treinen leading the NL in saves this season, the Washington situation isn't that much different than it was yesterday.  Treinen has the job now but with a short leash. 

On the other hand, FAAB budgets aren't real money.  Even in deep leagues, I think it's pretty uncommon for teams to burn their entire kitty at least in the leagues I've been in.

Is Iglesias the clear guy in Cincy, despite his preseason shower mishap? Or does Storen push him for saves? Not really needing to count on him too much ... he's my third guy behind Britton and Kimbrel.

Is Iglesias the clear guy in Cincy, despite his preseason shower mishap? Or does Storen push him for saves? Not really needing to count on him too much ... he's my third guy behind Britton and Kimbrel.
He's OK as a RP3 but the Reds' bullpen situation is still a mess.  It's not the five alarm dumpster fire it was last year but Iglesias, Storen, Lorenzen and Cingrani will probably all notch SVs at some point this season.

Speaking of which, it sounds like JJ Hoover has won a bullpen job in Arizona.  Fernando Rodney has first chair there but is always an adventure.  Delgado, Wilhelmsen, Burgos and Hoover are also around, as is Jake Barrett if his shoulder responds.

I like Iglesias, even if he does lose the closer gig(which I don't think he will) he's still a keepable reliever for K's and ratio help. He's a solid #3 IMO. Storen is a head case. His best chance to come back is a low pressure situation like Cinci so he could potentially bounce back, I don't see it though. 

I love closer situations  :wub:

Owners are constantly burning draft picks on could be closers and wasting FAAB or waiver wire priorities on named closers.  One league I'm in Glover, Treinan and Kelley were all drafted before guys like Kintzler & Maurer.  

Here's my quick thoughts, albeit from a feeble mind.

Baseball managers could care less about who the "closer" is, they want to win the game.  Some closers have a longer leash than others, but it all depends on the manager.  They sometimes may feel pressure about a guy earning $7-$10 million who was brought in to finish, but ask Papelbon how that worked out for him.  If the guy can't get it done, he can't get it done.  Sometimes (although I find it quite infrequent) a guy out of nowhere named the closer keeps the job the entire year and puts up great numbers.  But I bet if you look back in your notes over the course of the past decade, way more often than not the guy named closer is overtaken by someone else who then may even be overtaken by someone else.  Or the named closer gets some saves yes, but only because his bull headed manager keeps running him out there even with poor peripheral stats and guy is hanging on by the skin of his teeth.  This is all part of the beauty/joy of closer situations.

My 'strategy' in regard to this is to avoid closer situations where all possible and draft 1-2 established closers that barring injury will not loser their job. The other relievers I draft are guys I consider good pitchers and are either the established closer or else should be closing games in my eyes.  Raiseal Iglesias is a perfect example of a guy I have a lot of shares of this year.  Sore elbow aside, this guy should be getting the bulk of saves that the Reds get this year.  Will he?  Who knows, but even if he doesn't he is a good pitcher who I can snag late late late and feel comfortable with all year long.  I also have quite a few shares of Maurer and Kintzler that I named above, again these guys are going late in my drafts and they will get saves.

I'll let other owners chase the hot commodity, the 'named' closer on a team that should win a lot of games.  I'll bide my time and save my FAAB money for a time when it's more needed.

The current situations for Kintzler, Maurer and other crap closers are more settled but I don't know if that can necessarily be projected into job security. 

Kintzler isn't very good and won't contribute much in the way of SOs, ERA and WHIP.  Acquiring him now requires faith that (a) he won't blow up and (b) Perkins is finished.   Maurer's K rates are better but I'm not convinced he'll be able to keep the job.  Buchter and Capps may be better pitchers and it's a long season.

The current situations for Kintzler, Maurer and other crap closers are more settled but I don't know if that can necessarily be projected into job security. 

Kintzler isn't very good and won't contribute much in the way of SOs, ERA and WHIP.  Acquiring him now requires faith that (a) he won't blow up and (b) Perkins is finished.   Maurer's K rates are better but I'm not convinced he'll be able to keep the job.  Buchter and Capps may be better pitchers and it's a long season.
Oh, I agree with this, but I'd rather draft one of these guys then be an owner drafting one of three guys in the Washington bullpen or the Anaheim bullpen for instance where I am seeing guys drafting Bedrosian, Street and Hudson, .  I know that Maurer and Kintzler aren't that good, but I know they will be closing games early and the guys behind them are coming off injuries (Perkins and Capps).  

Before the season starts, your assets are your draft picks.  I'd prefer to spend my pick on a guy I either a) know will be closing even if he or the team stinks or b) know that my guy is a good pitcher and could get some saves somewhere along the way.  

To me, Bedrosian, Treinan, Glova, these guys are pretty much unknowns to me.  I don't want to waste my asset on an unknown.  

As the year progresses, I think we'll get a clearer situation on some teams saves opportunities and at that point I'll use my assets, be them FAAB, waiver wire priorities or trades to attain other closers.  I am good with unceremoniously dropping Maurer IF Capps returns and IF Capps is still any good and IF he gets the 'closer' role.  Or if Maurer just sucks and Buchtler starts off much better, so be it.

And for years I've been wary of guys with low K levels and/or poor ERA/WHIPS, but for years guys like Fernando Rodney and Jim Johnson seem to pile up saves, so I've come around on this front and am willing to get a guy that I don't like, so long as he gets me 20-25 S's late in the draft.

Even though I'm on record for Treinen leading the NL in saves this season, the Washington situation isn't that much different than it was yesterday.  Treinen has the job now but with a short leash. 

On the other hand, FAAB budgets aren't real money.  Even in deep leagues, I think it's pretty uncommon for teams to burn their entire kitty at least in the leagues I've been in.
Agreed with all of this but I'll be one of the guys going big on picking him up tonight.  If he dies he dies.  If he holds the job for the whole year on a team I have a top 3 in wins he could save 40.  

I think this one is worth a big swing.

Agreed with all of this but I'll be one of the guys going big on picking him up tonight.  If he dies he dies.  If he holds the job for the whole year on a team I have a top 3 in wins he could save 40.  

There's a lot to like about Treinen.  He doesn't have major platoon splits, his sinker induces ground balls and few HRs.  His K/BB ratio isn't elite but he's no Joe Borowski in this regard.  Most importantly, he has the job now.

I took a flyer on him last month in Serious Biz and held my breath through the Koda Glover hype cycle.  He's my guy but I think there's always a tendency for owners to overreact to the flavor of the week.  He's still a tier or two below guys like Colome and Robertson IMO.

I usually punt saves/relievers in both of my leagues just because of the unpredictability of it, but this year I had extra high picks so I was able to grab Britton and Kimbrel just as the closer run was starting without sacrificing building the rest of my team.

I was able to do this two years ago as well. Grabbed Melancon and Kimbrel earlier than I usually would and won a championship ... Kimbrel actually blew a save and got a win on Wednesday night of my championship week that helped put me over the top.

I spent $10 (out of my $100) on him and I have a sick feeling that nobody else in my league even put in a bid     :bag:       I sure hope he pans out.  I'm hording closers (have 5 of them) so looking to trade at some point.  

I spent $10 (out of my $100) on him and I have a sick feeling that nobody else in my league even put in a bid     :bag:       I sure hope he pans out.  I'm hording closers (have 5 of them) so looking to trade at some point.  
I put in a bid of $25 out of $60 and got him.  The guy who had glover (spent $16 draft dollars) went $16 faab on him and everyone else is saying they went less than that.

Im still just fine with it.  IF (and I do mean IF) he holds down the job all season long it will be well worth it.  

The Ref said:
I put in a bid of $25 out of $60 and got him.  The guy who had glover (spent $16 draft dollars) went $16 faab on him and everyone else is saying they went less than that.

Im still just fine with it.  IF (and I do mean IF) he holds down the job all season long it will be well worth it.  
Yup this is my thinking as well.  In my league, saves are weighted very heavily.  If this guy pans out, he'll get plenty of opportunities.  With 5 closers, I'm also looking for potential trade opportunities in the future.  

Users who are viewing this thread