What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Need a Replacement for Coffee in the Morning (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
so, back in October 2016 I came down with what was initially diagnosed as a cross between a URI and bronchitis.......after having a chronic cough for 2-3 months and getting nowhere on a solve with my primary doc, I went to a pulminologist.  she diagnosed me wth upper airway cough syndrome brought on by sinuses.  got an inhaler, decongestant (not enough for meth), Benadryl.  felt a bit better for 6 weeks, but decided to see an ENT.  after 3 minutes he diagnosed me with a bad case of acid reflux.  all the symptoms seem to fit, especially the chronic cough, which has now been with me for 6 months.  I need to take meds and alter my diet bigly, including eliminating coffee, which I drink a lot of.  neither the acid nor the caffeine are good for this.  however, I don't drink many things during the day and coffee was my beverage of choice, either hot or iced.  I can cold turkey out of coffee pretty much, but in the morning I am kind of groping around for a beverage.  tea is ok, but just is missing something, I tried hot chocolate, but chocolate is an item I need to avoid.  so I am stumped................

anyone have a good morning beverage, caffeine free they can recommend?  I was thinking a fruit smoothie of some sort, but it seems efforty to blend fruits, honey, ice, clean, rinse repeat.

I am open-ish to ideas and shtick.

also, if anyone has had this malady, I am open to suggestions too.

Last edited by a moderator:
how much coffee were you drinking?  all day long?  cant you just have one cup in the AM?

thats all i do

Raise the head of your bed 3-4 inches. You can try a low acid coffee. They say the darker the roast the better for your stomach. You'd think it'd be the other way but dark roast  is better. If you go the blender rout, get a Blendtec. Liquefies the fiber. I just drank spinach, beets, carrot, blueberry, pumpkin seeds and banana. Take it easy with the meds, do your research on whatever they prescribe. Those are short term solutions, not to take long term.

Also a big fan of this drink first thing in the morning.  All sorts of health benefits.  Normally have this followed by the Amazing Grass shot.

• 1 glass of water
  • 2 tablespoon Bragg apple cider vinegar
  • 1 squeezed lemon
  • ½-1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon raw, local honey (if you can spare the carbs)

how much coffee were you drinking?  all day long?  cant you just have one cup in the AM?

thats all i do
well, it started to get away from me........I would grab an iced coffee heading into work and that would be it.  wife's sked changed, so she began having coffee at home, so I would have a cup in the morning with her, then grab my iced coffee, then after dinner we started having a cup or an espresso.  I mixed in decaf in the evening, but then realized all I was drinking was coffee.

I have some serious acid reflux for which I take lansoprazole for.  Couldn't eat or drink anything - water, bread, milk, etc without having acid reflux.  Now I could drink pure lava and feel amazing.  I'm sure it's doing damage over time, but who cares, I'll be old then.

For me it's either coffee or water. Ice water in the morning is a good way to wake yourself up. Usually when I drink a good amount of water in the morning I feel better later in the day.

Soda or most other beverages don't work for me in the morning.

I have your answer.  I had ulcers at 14 y/o, and Barrets in my 20's.  I take all the meds and still had issues with acid....until a year ago.

COLD BREW COFFEE! was my miracle.  If you get the coffee from Eithopia its even better, but not heating the beans is the key to the acid problem.

The best part is you can buy a maker at Target for like 20 bucks and make your own.  I can't remember the exact number, but we were spending $3-400 a month at Dunks and the Bucks.  Now we spend like $25 a month.

Do this and thank me later.

I have your answer.  I had ulcers at 14 y/o, and Barrets in my 20's.  I take all the meds and still had issues with acid....until a year ago.

COLD BREW COFFEE! was my miracle.  If you get the coffee from Eithopia its even better, but not heating the beans is the key to the acid problem.

The best part is you can buy a maker at Target for like 20 bucks and make your own.  I can't remember the exact number, but we were spending $3-400 a month at Dunks and the Bucks.  Now we spend like $25 a month.

will research this..........

No joke.  Poland spring water adds cost, but is also less acidic then my chlorinated tap water. Good luck. 

I have some serious acid reflux for which I take lansoprazole for.  Couldn't eat or drink anything - water, bread, milk, etc without having acid reflux.  Now I could drink pure lava and feel amazing.  I'm sure it's doing damage over time, but who cares, I'll be old then.
Exactly what I was going to post. It's the generic Prevacid. Before I took it I couldn;t drink coffee or eat real spicy food. Now, I can drink and eat with no problems. Same with my daughter.

I got a soda stream and mix 3 parts carbonated water with 1 part juice...either orange or grapefruit or cherry or whatever i have.

Its refreshing as all get out.

This stuff is the truth.  Thank me later.  Drink as a shot or with a smoothie.  The effect is like a good espresso but much cleaner. 

https://www.amazinggrass.com/store/green-superfood-original.html

eta:  better prices on Amazon
tel me more....I've just got told by my doctor that I need to seriously cut out my coffee intake. Spent most of last week with really high blood pressure (for me) and odd feelings. I've on average 4-5 cups a day b/c I work really late into the night and then up early in the morning to go to my day job where I sit at a desk all day. 

I'm willing to cut out the coffee, but need to replace it with something more healthy and give me a dose of energy just b/c my daily schedule is so long/late. 

I'm seeing a few types of these, capsules and powder...which is best? how do you drink yours? 

How in the world is it possible to spend 400 at coffee shops - that is roughly 115 coffees (avg - $3.50 per) or 4 coffees per day, every day....even if you cut that in half for two people that is a lot of coffee for someone that has ulcer problems.    

Raise the head of your bed 3-4 inches. You can try a low acid coffee. They say the darker the roast the better for your stomach. You'd think it'd be the other way but dark roast  is better. If you go the blender rout, get a Blendtec. Liquefies the fiber. I just drank spinach, beets, carrot, blueberry, pumpkin seeds and banana. Take it easy with the meds, do your research on whatever they prescribe. Those are short term solutions, not to take long term.
willie you never cease to amaze me nice job with the health information bromigo you are shining light around here but i do miss your political podcasts a lot and since they are gone i have been taking doans back pills to ease the pain take that to the bank

what about a nice healthy glass of prago pizza sauce then when everyone asks at the office why you are drinking pizza sauce you can say thats a spicy ameatball and bam you are the life of the party take that to the bank brohan

I used to get heartburn and have acid reflux at night.  I went on a version of the Keto diet, limiting myself to 40 net carbs a day and my heartburn went away.  Maybe try that and you can still have some coffee.

No - but I thought it would be good to stave off dehydration

in all seriousness, Lemon water with a little cayenne may be a good alternative as well - I try to do this every am before the to go coffee.....

http://foodbabe.com/2015/11/30/how-a-food-babe-wakes-up-come-on-into-my-home/
I do something similar every morning.  Highly recommend it for those looking for a slight boost.  I follow it up with a shot of Amazing Grass (which I posted previously):

• 12 oz of water
  • 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (make sure it's from Bragg)
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
You can also add raw honey but probably not a good idea for you fatties.  

I do something similar every morning.  Highly recommend it for those looking for a slight boost.  I follow it up with a shot of Amazing Grass (which I posted previously):

• 12 oz of water
  • 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (make sure it's from Bragg)
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
You can also add raw honey but probably not a good idea for you fatties.  
hmmm - diggin' the looks of this  :thumbup:

couple questions-

is Bragg's ACV an Organic?

if one takes this prior to leaving the comfort of their own throne(s), is there enough of a buffer zone for, say, a forty minute train ride (before Vesuvius erupts)?

thanks, i'll hang up and listen. 

tel me more....I've just got told by my doctor that I need to seriously cut out my coffee intake. Spent most of last week with really high blood pressure (for me) and odd feelings. I've on average 4-5 cups a day b/c I work really late into the night and then up early in the morning to go to my day job where I sit at a desk all day. 

I'm willing to cut out the coffee, but need to replace it with something more healthy and give me a dose of energy just b/c my daily schedule is so long/late. 

I'm seeing a few types of these, capsules and powder...which is best? how do you drink yours? 
It's a great supplement to your diet.  Gives you a ton of greens and a nice boost in the morning.  I just mix mine with water.  It tastes similar to a shot of wheatgrass which isn't the most pleasant but you get used to it.  I've taken much worse shots of booze over the years so this is cake.  

On another note, not sure what your exercise regime is but you'll be amazed at how much more energy you have if you start working out. 

hmmm - diggin' the looks of this  :thumbup:

couple questions-

is Bragg's ACV an Organic?

if one takes this prior to leaving the comfort of their own throne(s), is there enough of a buffer zone for, say, a forty minute train ride (before Vesuvius erupts)?

thanks, i'll hang up and listen. 
Yep, Bragg is the organic filtered variety.  More expensive but worth it.  Make sure you shake the hell out of the bottle before each serving.

As for the train, you should be fine.  It's never effected me like that.  Coffee on the other hand….

Users who are viewing this thread