Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
massraider

InfoWars Fake News PizzaGate Lunatic Tool Republishes 1,000 Russia Today Articles, Millions Choke It Down

http://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-apologize-pizzagate-fake-news-574025

Conservative radio host Alex Jones apologized Friday for promoting an anti-government conspiracy theory that allegedly inspired one man to open fire in a Washington restaurant last year.

Broadcasting from his website InfoWars, Jones said he was not the author of the so-called "Pizzagate" conspiracy theory, but regretted prior comments made in support of it. He specifically appealed to James Alefantis, owner of Comet Ping Pong. The Washington pizza place was one of several that the theory's supporters believed hosted a child-sex trafficking ring sponsored by Democratic Party officials. In December, 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch entered the restaurant and opened fire with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle without any reported injuries. After his arrest, Welch claimed he was motivated to take action based on his belief of the theory and that he was an avid listener of Jones' radio show.

"I want our viewers and listeners to know that we regret any negative impact our commentaries may have had on Mr. Alefantis, Comet Ping Pong, or its employees. We apologize to the extent our commentaries could be construed as negative statements about Mr. Alefantis or Comet Ping Pong, and we hope that anyone else involved in commenting on Pizzagate will do the same thing," Jones said in a prepared statement.

Edited by massraider
  • Like 8

Searching or #pizzagate on Twitter, and the tin foil hats are wondering who ''got to'' Jones.  

• Like 1

I thought the hysteria was only going to be confined to one thread?  Why are we letting hysterics create more of them?

Edited by MaxThreshold

1 minute ago, MaxThreshold said:

I thought the hysteria was only going to be confined to one thread?  Why are we letting hysterics create more of them?

This is a thread about a conspiracy theory that some actual walking upright humans on this board believed in.

Don't you want to get to the truth?

• Like 4

Just now, massraider said:

This is a thread about a conspiracy theory that some actual walking upright humans on this board believed in.

Don't you want to get to the truth?

Sure, I guess. :shrug:

But we're not going to get their by getting all hysterical about it.  Maybe someone who isn't so compromised should lead this charge.

Just now, MaxThreshold said:

Sure, I guess. :shrug:

But we're not going to get their by getting all hysterical about it.  

I think we are.  Alex Jones has a career based on hysteria, and he seems to have found some truth.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, massraider said:
 Follow
More

PizzaGateisReal Retweeted gab  ?skeethazard

How does little pizza shop owner Alefantis have attorneys powerful enough to freak out infowars? That statement was written by an attorney

JFC :lmao: 

• Like 2

It was a rare sight. A media personality who has made his name by spreading patently false information and crackpot conspiracy theories, apologized for one of his favorite fake news items. Alex Jones of Infowars posted a surprising six-minute video on his website in which he read a legal-sounding document apologizing for his role in spreading claims that a Washington pizzeria was home to a child sex-trafficking ring run by Hillary Clinton and her campaign manager, John Podesta. Jones specifically addressed his apology to James Alefantis, the owner of Comet Ping Pong, which was thrust into the spotlight last year with what became the most stark example of how fake news spread during the presidential campaign.

“In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said.

Despite the apology, Jones still distanced himself from the fake news, making it sound as though he was a victim of false information rather than one of the main people responsible for spreading the falsehoods. “We were participating in a discussion that was being written about by scores of media outlets, in one of the most hotly contested and disputed political environments our country has ever seen,” Jones said. “We relied on third party accounts of alleged activities and conduct at the restaurant. We also relied on accounts of reporters who are no longer with us. This was an ever-evolving story, which had a huge amount of commentary about it across many media outlets.”

Although it isn’t clear what motivated Jones to apologize now, fear of legal action may have come into play. Alefantis wrote Jones a letter in February demanding an apology. And even though he doesn’t threaten legal action, under state law Jones had one month to retract or apologize to avoid a lawsuit. The month deadline was Friday.

The apology also came on the same day as the man who fired a shot inside the Washington, D.C. restaurant last year due to his obsession with the Pizzagate conspiracy pled guilty to weapons and assault charges as part of a plea deal. Edgar Welch, 28, from North Carolina admitted that he traveled to Comet Ping Pong carrying a rifle and a revolver to “self-investigate” Pizzagate. Welch faces anywhere from 18 to 24 months in prison for the federal charge of transporting firearms through state lines and 18 to 60 months for the Washington, D.C. charge of assault with a dangerous weapon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, massraider said:

I made that thread title as concise as possible.  

Might be title of the year

• Like 1

Needs bigger font for title. Also, very surprised some specific FBG people (owners) weren't tagged yet....

9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Needs bigger font for title. Also, very surprised some specific FBG people (owners) weren't tagged yet....

Nobody wants to be banned. 

Plus at this point I just feel bad for the guy and assume he is suffering some depression or other illness. No reason to spike the football. 

• Like 3

Maybe a lawyer can help me with this.  Remember when Peter Theil used Hulk Hogan to sue Gawker to death?  Why can't a wealthy person adopt Comet Pizza to sue Infowars the same way?  And if someone can, why hasn't this happened yet. :hot:  Infowars is horrible.

I don't believe either side anymore and I think that everything is one big production. 

Sorry, I have no faith in truth anymore when it comes to Washington DC 

33 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I don't believe either side anymore and I think that everything is one big production. 

Sorry, I have no faith in truth anymore when it comes to Washington DC 

Side?

There's reality, and crazy pants. 

What side are you on?

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, massraider said:

Side?

There's reality, and crazy pants. 

What side are you on?

I choose crazy pants.  She sounds hot.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, The General said:

So you are telling me Pizzagate isn't real? Whatever.

The pizza is real. The gate is fake, because so many gates are fake.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

The pizza is real. The gate is fake, because so many gates are fake.

Now if we can debunk spygate and deflategate, we've got a party.

19 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Looks like the Pizzagate tweets against DNC...

...may have been the work of bots... which are under investigation by the FBI.

Oh. Seems important.

From that article

One of the principal proselytizers of the PizzaGate conspiracy appears to be David Seaman, a one-time unpaid Huffington Post contributor and author of Dirty Little Secrets of Buzz: How to Attract Massive Attention for Your Business, Your Product, or Yourself. Seaman's personal YouTube channel has been viewed over 6 million times since October 2016, when he began writing about PizzaGate.

According to one account, he is also "the founder of Shutterline Interactive, a vehicle for rapidly deploying publicity stunts.” In a 2008 YouTube interview to publicize his book, Seaman said, “I would protest gravity if I thought it was going to get me buzz.”

In an online March 3 video, he talked about his “Journey from HuffPo to PizzaGate.”

He and others are calling for a “March on Comet Pizza” on Saturday, March 25.

“If you don't know who David Seaman is, he's the self-appointed head spokesman of the Pizzagate movement,” according to another account on Reddit. “If you are a pizzagater, this association should make you very nervous, because David Seaman is a mentally unstable con man.”

Was there actually a march yesterday?

Also interesting that the looniness, and the actual threats, did not stop after the armed nutball went into the pizza place and fired 3 shots. The threats seem to have increased to the level that the FBI is investigating.

The FBI’s widening investigation into Russian subversion is now looking into continuing threats against a Washington, D.C. pizza shop targeted by right-wing conspiracy mongers.

Comet Ping Pong Pizza, a popular, family-oriented shop in an upscale northwest Washington, D.C. neighborhood, came under relentless online attack last year because of its owner’s friendship with senior members of the Hillary Clinton campaign as well as David Brock, founder of Media Matters for America, a website that tracks press coverage critical of the Clintons.

The perpetrators of the harassment alleged—without any evidence—that Comet pizza owner James Alefantis and the Clintons were operating a child-sex ring in the restaurant’s basement. Last December the flood of tweets, supercharged by anonymous online “bots,” motivated a 28-year-old North Carolina man, Edgar Madison Welch, to enter the shop with a loaded automatic rifle and fire off three rounds in search of the nonexistent basement sex chamber. Welch reached a plea deal on March 15 and is scheduled to appear in court Friday for sentencing.

As part of that probe, FBI agents on Monday interviewed a neighborhood friend of Alefantis. Newsweek is withholding the woman’s identity at her request. She told the agents that her mother had received a threatening call about her grandson Monday night, following the House intelligence committee’s daylong televised hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 elections and connections between unnamed Trump associates and the Kremlin.

“It was horrifying,” the woman said of the anonymous telephone call, in which a man relayed private details about her son. “It was an escalation” of the PizzaGate campaign, she said. “Someone’s spending time and money to harass me.”

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Apparently so looks sparsely attended, but yes per one of their own.

I guess this coincided with yesterday's pro-Trump marches.

"Couple dozen people" just can't let it go apparently, including an entire family from Florida protesting at the White House. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pizzagate-protest-stakes-out-in-front-of-the-white-house/article/2618457#!

"I don't have any doubt that Pizzagate is real," said Kori Hayes, an attendee from Middleburg, Fla., according to the Washington Post. "But nothing is being said about it." Hayes and her family were the ones wearing the Pizzagate shirts.

"Hey, we're going to Washington DC, kids."

"To see the Smithsonian and the cherry blossoms?"

"No, to protest a pizza joint."

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dedfin said:

Maybe a lawyer can help me with this.  Remember when Peter Theil used Hulk Hogan to sue Gawker to death?  Why can't a wealthy person adopt Comet Pizza to sue Infowars the same way?  And if someone can, why hasn't this happened yet. :hot:  Infowars is horrible.

Alefantis is represented. His lawyers sent Jones a letter demanding specific retractions. Jones responded with the apology, presumably because his lawyers genuinely feared a libel suit. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, fatness said:

to enter the shop with a loaded automatic rifle and fire off three rounds

12 minutes ago, fatness said:

received a threatening call about her grandson

Online talk can really, really upset some people when they feel like they're personally involved in an 'issue' and feel like they need to personally intervene to affect real life events. It happens.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Alefantis is represented. His lawyers sent Jones a letter demanding specific retractions. Jones responded with the apology, presumably because his lawyers genuinely feared a libel suit. 

Thanks!  Can a legitimate lawsuit still happen?  I mean, damage has been done, right?

3 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Online talk can really, really upset some people when they feel like they're personally involved in an 'issue' and feel like they need to personally intervene to affect real life events. It happens.

People want to be told what to do so bad that they'll listen to anyone.” 

-Don Draper

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fatness said:

You really want a taste of Alex Jones listen to the Rogan podcast from about a month ago with him on it. That was my first time ever listening to Jones . First hour the guy was fascinating , I was thinking  the negative rep they guy had was total bs . But just as fast he ran off the rails and it was crazytown the rest of the show.

4 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Maybe new info has come to the forefront 

I won't believe anything until it is confirmed by Dodds.

2 minutes ago, HellToupee said:
7 minutes ago, fatness said:

Maybe new info has come to the forefront 

If by "has come to the forefront" you mean "will be reported by Alex Jones" then I'll agree.

He took a look at how angry the pizzagate-believing portion of his fanbase was with him fro apologizing,  and realized "I better come up with something to satisfy them."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

I won't believe anything until it is confirmed by Dodds.

Careful or you might end up like Bucky

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

You really want a taste of Alex Jones listen to the Rogan podcast from about a month ago with him on it. That was my first time ever listening to Jones . First hour the guy was fascinating , I was thinking  the negative rep they guy had was total bs . But just as fast he ran off the rails and it was crazytown the rest of the show.

You listen to him daily.

19 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Careful or you might end up like Bucky

What happened to Bucky?