What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Simpsons vs Family Guy (1 Viewer)

Which is the BETTER SHOW?

• Total voters

captain_amazing

Footballguy
I've longed wondered where do folks fall on these two questions.  I am clearly a huge Family Guy fan, but grew up watching The Simpsons.  The Simpsons will go down in history as the better show, but Family Guy is really so much funnier and entertaining, IMO.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Simpson's over time, Family Guy is better now but it isn't great anymore either.

Think my favorite animated show right now is American Dad, good subtle humor in there and Roger is the second coming of Bender (Futurama is my favorite animated show ever). 

Simpsons, but haven't watched in at least 15 years.  Never could get into Family Guy.

This may be considered blasphemy, but I think Futurama is a better show than the SImpsons

American Dad is the best right now (out of that grouping) but for about a decade, The Simpsons was the funniest thing ever created.

Simpsons for the feel good story, Family guy for the dumb Sh!t

couldnt vote. Like them both equally but for different reasons.

Simpson's over time, Family Guy is better now but it isn't great anymore either.

Think my favorite animated show right now is American Dad, good subtle humor in there and Roger is the second coming of Bender (Futurama is my favorite animated show ever). 
Yes. American Dad rocks

I always felt like Futurama was the new Simpsons that never got the attention it deserved

Simpsons was fantastic for a really long time (8-9 seasons is more than most shows ever get and it was great for that run). Family guy though burned so much hotter in a shorter span. The first 4 seasons of family guy I'd put up there on Simpson's level. 

Futurama and American Dad are also great. I love the heart of Futurama more than anything and the beyond over the top stupidity of American Dad. 

Above all else though, we can all agree the Cleveland Show is an abomination.

There has to be at least 30 Simpson episodes better than the best Family Guy.  Prime Simpson seasons were some of the best tv ever.  They hold up very well also.

Have you seen Rick and Morty? That is absolutely the best animated show right now in my opinion and it isn't close.

Simpsons hasn't been good for 10 years now? been a long time either way. Family guy was always just okay, and it didn't come close to Simpsons in its peak.

As far as best cartoon characters go I would put Rogers one tier under Mr Burns, which is a nice place to be in.
Roger has the advantage of getting to be hundreds of characters.

Could probably do a poll on best Roger character. I'm guessing Ricky Spanish would win, but I'd probably vote for Jeannie Gold

Simpson's for overall quality but man some of Family Guy's riffs are hysterical.  The show throws so much at you in a 1/2 hour though it's tough to be consistently funny or have a cohesive story. 

Simpsons was fantastic for a really long time (8-9 seasons is more than most shows ever get and it was great for that run). Family guy though burned so much hotter in a shorter span. The first 4 seasons of family guy I'd put up there on Simpson's level. 

Futurama and American Dad are also great. I love the heart of Futurama more than anything and the beyond over the top stupidity of American Dad. 

Above all else though, we can all agree the Cleveland Show is an abomination.
The Cleveland Show wasn't great, but still has one of my favorite quotes:

Rallo Tubbs: I'll just go ahead and be one of the other black presidents. Actually, I want to be the first black president. Who was it?

Mrs. Lowenstein: Rallo, Barack Hussein Obama is the first black president.

Rallo Tubbs: What? Washington wasn't black?

Mrs. Lowenstein: No.

Rallo Tubbs: Jefferson?

Mrs. Lowenstein: No.

Rallo Tubbs: If Rutherford B. Hayes wasn't a brother, I don't know what's up!

Is The Simpsons really that bad now? I know that's the popular opinion but I catch an episode every now and then and it still seems pretty decent.

Is The Simpsons really that bad now? I know that's the popular opinion but I catch an episode every now and then and it still seems pretty decent.
Compared to their classic episodes? Yes. Compared to other TV shows? Not that bad

In their prime, both were great.  If you enjoyed the Simpsons, I don't get why you wouldn't like Family Guy.  If I'm flipping through reruns now and had to pick one without knowing which episode, I'd take Family Guy.  

Voted Family Guy as prefer; Simpsons as better show.  The ancillary characters on Simpsons puts it over the top. 

Watched both regularly at one time, dont watch either regularly anymore. The more animation there is, the less i seem to relate to it. Rarely even stop a channelscan on Simpsons now, often do on Family Guy, because there's a lot of Easter eggs for comedy writers on FG. Sometimes half the show is bits of no value which exist solely so the writers can see if they can get away with em or false extensions of bits for the only reason that they dont have to write as many setups that week if it stays in. That will always be hilarious.

Doctor Detroit said:

Agreed on futurama. Damn shame it's not on anymore.  

Neither Simpsons or FG are good any more. Or maybe I'm just getting old.  My 14 and 12 Yo like both. 

Historically-Simpsons by a mile

Currently-Simpsons by a few yards

Neither show is really any good anymore. Family Guy is a chore to make it through, though it was great 10+ years ago. Simpsons is mostly bad, with a few diamonds in the rough per year. 

Family Guy peaked in 2006 or so, Simpsons peaked in the 90's, but has experienced a lot slower fall from greatness.

There's only one show that has made me laugh, tear up, and went so far as to create their own mathematical theorem (that works in real life) to solve a plot.

If you can watch the Jurassic Park episode without tearing up, you are probably a psychopath.

Did the Simpsons really get that much worse or did we just get older?

I grew up watching the Simpsons.  Absolutely loved it.  But it doesn't move the needle for me at all now.  It's clearly aimed at a younger crowd.

Meanwhile I can still put on some of the better Family Guy episodes and be rolling on the floor laughing.

I need to watch more American Dad.  I also watched Futurama when it first started, but never got back into it after that.  Maybe need to take another run there too.

Agree that FG has fallen off quite a bit over the past few seasons.  I can watch reruns into season 12/13 and enjoy almost every episode, but after that the episodes definitely lose some steam.  

I haven't been watching either for several seasons now, so I guess I shouldn't comment, but this is the internet so hear me now and GFY.

At peak, Family Guy was probably better for total jokes in an episode and laugh-out-loud funny jokes, more on a shock level but also inventive wordplay and reference ideas.  Closer to some of the memery from the internet and largely pre-dating it.

At peak, Simpsons was better for underlying cleverness and social satire, which was ultimately more satisfying to me.  The jokes were more thoughtful and not always causing as much of a knee-jerk, gutbusting reaction, but the ideas were longer lasting.  I still think of Simpsons quotes all the time in relation to things that happen in real life.  Rarely do I think of that many from Family Guy in that way.

Advantage: Simpsons

Users who are viewing this thread