What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Rewarded for putting the kickoff thru the uprights? (1 Viewer)

DropKick

Footballguy
From ESPN: The proposal, which could be voted on next week by NFL owners, moves the line of scrimmage to the 20-yard line for any touchback where the kick sails through the uprights. Touchbacks on kickoffs currently place the ball at the 25-yard line after last year's rule change.  The reason cited for the Redskins' proposal is player safety. By giving the opportunity for improved field position, teams presumably would attempt more kicks into the end zone, and that would result in fewer returns, which are considered one of the most dangerous plays in the game because of the high-speed collisions.

Last year, Raven's coach John Harbaugh made a proposal to actually be awarded a point for putting the kickoff thru the uprights...

OK; enough is enough.  This league has no idea what it is doing.  They just changed the touchback line to the 25 as a move to reduce the number of returns.  But the pea brains who make the rules didn't anticipate short kicks to pin a team deep resulting in MORE returns.  So, let's introduce a quack rule to encourage the teams to kick deep again.... And Harbaugh, who has one of the longer legged kickers in the league, would like POINTS awarded.  Are you kidding me?   John, I didn't have much respect for you prior to this idea...

Thoughts?

I don't know why all the weird rules with kickoffs when you could just make it the same as punts. The other team gets the ball where ever it goes out of bounds. 

That's if assuming that you believe kick offs are that dangerous.

They could use Arena league goal posts for kickoffs and then swap them our for the regular ones during the mandatory 5 minute tv timeout after a kickoff

:shrug:   I like it.  The idea of getting points for a kickoff is stupid, or at least changes the game in a way I sure don't want to see.  But to put the ball at the 20?  No problem IMO. Encourage teams to prevent the kick return.  Marking it where the ball goes out of bounds would work too. 

I have a better idea.  Let's move the kickoff back to the 25 yard line so guys have a chance to return it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams like the pats and ravens still circumvented the rules last year by kicking it in bounds near the 5 so teams were forced to return it. 

Stop ####### with the game. 

Or the league can just grow a pair and get rid of kickoffs. It's what the league is heading to eventually, and it's inevitable. Just speed up the process and outlaw it already. We can all adjust faster.

Or the league can just grow a pair and get rid of kickoffs. It's what the league is heading to eventually, and it's inevitable. Just speed up the process and outlaw it already. We can all adjust faster.
It's a great idea to legitimately speed up the length of games. Isn't the NFL supposedly interested in accomplishing that feat? 

Perfect. Then they can outlaw blocking and tackling next, and put the players in tight little skirts and play flag football.  At halftime players can share their favorite recipes and knitting patterns with the fans.  It will be glorious!

The NFL will have jumped the shark if they put this rule in place.

Its bad enough that we have seen diluted value of wins and losses and QB talent due to ever increasing greed based expansion and relocation of teams away from loyal fan bases but every year they are like children who have a churn with the rule book to the point it doesn't matter.  

A fan base wants to cheer for their team with the hope of winning but when a fan base has no hope to ever win a Super Bowl and see this sort of crap they tune out.  No wonder ratings suck.  

The league is losing relevance.  They should stop expansion, stop relocating teams, and stop with the silly rule changes and stick to the core of what made the NFL great.

The Bucks aren't stupid they were just ahead of the curve. Soon everybody will be drafting kickers in the 2nd. Lets just eliminate the end zone and only allow kickers to score.

Perfect. Then they can outlaw blocking and tackling next, and put the players in tight little skirts and play flag football.  At halftime players can share their favorite recipes and knitting patterns with the fans.  It will be glorious!
Or they should get rid of helmets and play like real men. Says the guy from his couch.

This is just something extra to try to get people to watch the commercials after a score.

NFL will get rid of kick offs, expand the regular season. Union requests of expanded rosters in the event of an expanded regular season expansion will not be needed niw that kick offs are eliminated, resulting in less of a need for special teams players. 

NFL continues down a path of slitting its own throat. 

The NFL will have jumped the shark if they put this rule in place.

Its bad enough that we have seen diluted value of wins and losses and QB talent due to ever increasing greed based expansion and relocation of teams away from loyal fan bases but every year they are like children who have a churn with the rule book to the point it doesn't matter.  

A fan base wants to cheer for their team with the hope of winning but when a fan base has no hope to ever win a Super Bowl and see this sort of crap they tune out.  No wonder ratings suck.  

The league is losing relevance.  They should stop expansion, stop relocating teams, and stop with the silly rule changes and stick to the core of what made the NFL great.
Some of us just stop cheering for the franchise with crappy owners and find themselves cheering for another team.  When enough fans do that the team moves.  Unless it's the Lions, then Ford just continues to suck. 

I thought about this too but then you eliminate onside kicks. While they might only work a low percentage of the time, it's better than 0% of the time. I doubt anyone wants to see more QBs taking a knee. 

The sentiment is almost unanimous, and this from the hardcore NFL fans (otherwise why be here in March?).

Stop screwing with the game!

To be honest, I don't really recall enough incidents to say the kickoff is more dangerous than other plays.

To be honest, I don't really recall enough incidents to say the kickoff is more dangerous than other plays.
League studies claim that it is.

I suspect the fact that we get a commercial after every single kickoff means we just don't see when a guy limps or is helped off after a kickoff the way we do when the camera stay with the action waiting for the next down.

I kinda like it, really starting to emulate the old MTV Rock n Jock basketball games.

You could award bonus points for touchdowns thrown from special zones of the field.

Even increase revenue by allowing sponsorships.

"10 seconds left, Bengals, Down by 18, just need to get to the Toyota Zone on the 25 yard hash mark,  where they can throw a touchdown worth 20 points."   "Play call is in, and a quick substitution....Ed Lover is in at quarterback, rolling right and looking for Flava Flav......boom, that is a huge 20 point score ......."

The Bucks aren't stupid they were just ahead of the curve. Soon everybody will be drafting kickers in the 2nd. Lets just eliminate the end zone and only allow kickers to score.
The Bucks have nothing on the Raiders. The Raiders were WAY ahead of the curve when they drafted Janikowski in the 1st round. They were just waiting for the rest of the league to catch up.

Teams like the pats and ravens still circumvented the rules last year by kicking it in bounds near the 5 so teams were forced to return it. 

Stop ####### with the game. 
Cheaters!

Looks like NE will be responsible for yet ANOTHER rule change.

Just like when NE went to those goofy eligible / uneligible formations in that playoff game with BAL.

Am I alone in believing this stuff is more egregious than playing with a ball that is 0.5 lb psi below minimum? 

I call for a loss of 1st rd draft pick (... well at least for the Pats. We're fine with BAL circumventing the rule book with the short kickoffs, and PIT deflating balls, etc.)

Instead of moving the ball back to the 20, all fans at the stadium should get a free cheeseburger.

From ESPN: The proposal, which could be voted on next week by NFL owners, moves the line of scrimmage to the 20-yard line for any touchback where the kick sails through the uprights. Touchbacks on kickoffs currently place the ball at the 25-yard line after last year's rule change.  The reason cited for the Redskins' proposal is player safety. By giving the opportunity for improved field position, teams presumably would attempt more kicks into the end zone, and that would result in fewer returns, which are considered one of the most dangerous plays in the game because of the high-speed collisions.

Last year, Raven's coach John Harbaugh made a proposal to actually be awarded a point for putting the kickoff thru the uprights...

OK; enough is enough.  This league has no idea what it is doing.  They just changed the touchback line to the 25 as a move to reduce the number of returns.  But the pea brains who make the rules didn't anticipate short kicks to pin a team deep resulting in MORE returns.  So, let's introduce a quack rule to encourage the teams to kick deep again.... And Harbaugh, who has one of the longer legged kickers in the league, would like POINTS awarded.  Are you kidding me?   John, I didn't have much respect for you prior to this idea...

Thoughts?
I think the new proposal is a bad one.

But on the bolded... kick returns didn't go up after the touchback rule change. They dropped. 2016 had 45 fewer regular season returns than 2015, and 190 fewer returns than 2014.

It seems like a silly and arbitrary rule, but it also seems like people are getting awfully worked up about something that rarely happens.

Hilarious. I look forward to watching a team win 11 to 6 off of field goals and kickoff points.

I think this would make kickers quite a bit more valuable as some of them can do this with some consistency. 

Hilarious. I look forward to watching a team win 11 to 6 off of field goals and kickoff points.

I think this would make kickers quite a bit more valuable as some of them can do this with some consistency. 
The points one is not a serious proposal.  The one actually being discussed is just to put the ball at the 20 instead of the 25 if it goes through the uprights.

The points one is not a serious proposal.  The one actually being discussed is just to put the ball at the 20 instead of the 25 if it goes through the uprights.
Oh the humanity!  Would someone think of the children!  This is the most egregious rule change since free agency! 

Bucs were so ahead they gave up a pick and signed Nick Folk to beat out Aguayo.

I wish the NFL would just leave the rules alone.

FreeBaGeL said:
It seems like a silly and arbitrary rule, but it also seems like people are getting awfully worked up about something that rarely happens.
I think its more that the league is changing the rules on a virtually annual basis.   Not to mention the way the game is officiated.  Last season, unsportsmanlike conduct calls were the new focus, before that we had domestic violence which took the focus off defenseless receivers and quarter backs.  I kind of miss a minor grazing of the helmet being called a "blow to the head".

I just want the NFL to do two simple things.  Stop changing the rules and tell me what constitutes a catch.

Belichick has mentioned this a few times over the years when asked about rules changes to kickoffs. He derisively suggests they should just get rid of the kickoff since the league clearly has no interest in promoting the play. He's said the same thing about the XP and of course the NFL swung in the exact opposite direction.

I think we are three years out from teams having the choice of giving opposing team ball at the 20 or to attempt an onside kick where the ball has to travel between 10-30 yards or something like that.

This has no impact on fantasy scoring, only adds a dimension to the starting field position. It is not any different than the ball going out of bounds and starting at the 40. Seeing people get upset at a minor change like this reminds me people will get upset at anything.  

Oh no! Five yards! What are you doing with my NFL. 

The things some of you get worked up about are ridiculous. 

The main issue with getting rid of kickoffs is the removal of onside kicks.  They need to leave in a way for teams to try and come back when they're down.

Oh no! Five yards! What are you doing with my NFL. 

The things some of you get worked up about are ridiculous. 
3 or 4 of these minor changes every season and before long the game will be completely different.

...and some of you will be surprised when it's 2-hand tag with safe spaces.

3 or 4 of these minor changes every season and before long the game will be completely different.

...and some of you will be surprised when it's 2-hand tag with safe spaces.
Exactly. It's not like this one little tweak changes the game - it's freaking a half dozen little tweaks a year, which add more and more pages to the rule book.

It's all just changeturbation. 

Exactly. It's not like this one little tweak changes the game - it's freaking a half dozen little tweaks a year, which add more and more pages to the rule book.

Then people complain about the refs every season. Well, no wonder they don't know what they're doing they change the rules every year

I haven't been keeping track but aside from replay and this what other rules are changing? 

Every business makes changes, some bigger than others. 

I haven't been keeping track but aside from replay and this what other rules are changing? 

Every business makes changes, some bigger than others. 
This is just one of many, many proposed changes.

Here is what they did for last year. I can't see anything there that improves the game with exception of banning chop block. Everything else is competition committee and owners keeping busy. Some of these are so pedantic as to be comical.

ETA: Source. This isn't even including the vague Points of Emphasis

In 2016, NFL owners voted to:

• Permanently move the line of scrimmage for extra point kick attempts after touchdowns to the defensive team’s 15-yard line, and permanently allow the defense to return any missed attempt. The owners approved this rule change in 2015 as a one-year trial and voted this year to adopt it permanently.
  • Permit offensive and defensive play callers on each team’s coaching staff to use the coach-to-player communication system whether they are on the field or in the coaches’ booth. Previously, the play caller had to be on the sideline to be allowed to communicate with the designated player.
  • Make all chop blocks illegal.
  • Expand the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the nameplate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.
  • Make it a delay of game foul when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

• Eliminate the five-yard penalty for when an eligible receiver illegally touches a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds. The owners voted to make it a loss of down.
  • Change the spot of enforcement when both teams commit a foul after a change of possession. The team last in possession shall retain the ball at the spot where they gained possession.
  • Allow the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department at the league office to consult with the on-field officials to provide information on the correct application of playing rules, including appropriate assessment of penalty yardage, proper down and status of the game clock.
  • A player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls will be disqualified. The types of fouls are:

• Throwing a punch or forearm, or kicking at an opponent, even if no contact is made
  • Using abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures toward opponents, teammates, officials or league representatives
  • Using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

[*]The football will be spotted on the 25-yard line after a free kick results in a touchback. Previously, the ball was spotted at the 20-yard line.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just one of many, many proposed changes.

Here is what they did for last year. I can't see anything there that improves the game with exception of banning chop block. Everything else is competition committee and owners keeping busy. Some of these are so pedantic as to be comical.

ETA: Source. This isn't even including the vague Points of Emphasis
I like this one:

• Allow the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department at the league office to consult with the on-field officials to provide information on the correct application of playing rules, including appropriate assessment of penalty yardage, proper down and status of the game clock.
But that's it. The rest is garbage with exception of the chop block thing. 

I feel like these owners are at the point where the yearly meetings/voting is just them and the "competition committee" doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff. It's like they can't help themselves; they have to do something because otherwise they do nothing. A classic case of ADD I feel like. They can't just let things be, have to be busy all the time making changes.

I think like 80% of the changes last year were good ones.

The uprights thing... at this point it's just a proposal that hasn't even been voted on yet. Sounding off to the NFL so they hear what we think about it isn't a bad idea. But it seems like too much drama being thrown around in here about something that doesn't seem likely to make it into the game.

I think like 80% of the changes last year were good ones.

The uprights thing... at this point it's just a proposal that hasn't even been voted on yet. Sounding off to the NFL so they hear what we think about it isn't a bad idea. But it seems like too much drama being thrown around in here about something that doesn't seem likely to make it into the game.
Eh, maybe we are being a bit dramatic but to me it's a symptom of a larger disease.

Eh, maybe we are being a bit dramatic but to me it's a symptom of a larger disease.
:shrug: it's a game where we pay dudes to hit each other.  If the owners are looking for ways to make it safer without ruining the game, that seems okay imo.

:shrug: it's a game where we pay dudes to hit each other.  If the owners are looking for ways to make it safer without ruining the game, that seems okay imo.
Except only two new rules in what I listed before were safety related. Banning chop blocks, which, let's be honest is joke were even still legal in 2015. And then the horse collar addendum which is so poorly worded I'm not even sure how it is different given they are describing making illegal what a horse collar tackle already is and which was already illegal?

Users who are viewing this thread