What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Project or Die: Eric Thames (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Lifetime MLB line .250/.296/.431 in 684 PAs from 2009-2012.  Raked in Korea for the past three years with an OPS over 1.100 and 124 HRs.

Milwaukee signed him for 3/$15M with an option for 2020.  Early returns from the Cactus League are mixed with a lot of SOs in a very small sample size but he should be an every day starter at the beginning of the season.

He's fantasy draftable at OF but should gain CI eligibility.  ADP is around the 18th round.

I think he puts up pretty similar numbers to Chris Carter last year. Maybe not quite as many HR's or K's but close. Fewer walks, better batting average. Let's say 254/323/487 with 35 HR's. I didn't look at Zips before posting that but it's really close to those projections, though I think he sees more AB's and hits more dingers as a result.

For what it's worth, his backup Jesus Aguilar is having a great spring.  They're both left handed bats so there's little risk of a platoon situation.  I guess Thames could play some OF as well.

I think 35 HRs is pushing it but 25-30 HRs and 100 RBIs seems achievable if he can stay in the middle of the order all year.   That's decent production for a very low price although he won't help your AVG any.

Byung Ho Park hit 142 HRs in his last three years in the KBO

ETA:  In his defense, Park hit more homers for the Twins than Joe Mauer in half as many PAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, his backup Jesus Aguilar is having a great spring.  They're both left handed bats so there's little risk of a platoon situation.  I guess Thames could play some OF as well.

I think 35 HRs is pushing it but 25-30 HRs and 100 RBIs seems achievable if he can stay in the middle of the order all year.   That's decent production for a very low price although he won't help your AVG any.
Correcting myself.  Aguilar is a right handed bat but so is most of the Brewers lineup.

If he sticks he might also be athletic enough to run in Milwaukee. They ran like crazy as a team last year. Maybe 15-18 steals instead of 5

.265 AVG, .325 OBP, 25 HR, 160 combined R & RBI.

I have no idea about his SB numbers.  He stole 40 one year in Korea but less than 15 in the others.  We know Milwaukee likes to run.  20/20 guys are very valuable in fantasy but I have no idea how to project KBO baserunning to the majors.

I like Healy especially for power. Perfect example that with the new surge in HRs, you can get a get a likely 25hr right at the end of drafts. He won't hit 300 or walk, but he is probably getting a good lineup spot on that team for counting stats.  

Jesus Aguilar has made the Opening Day roster. Thames has played some outfield this spring, and Counsell said Aguilar's performance had something to do with that because Aguilar can only play 1B. 

It seems that to begin the year, Thames is a full-time guy, but if he starts slow, how long will Counsell keep him in the lineup. 

Jesus Aguilar has made the Opening Day roster. Thames has played some outfield this spring, and Counsell said Aguilar's performance had something to do with that because Aguilar can only play 1B. 

It seems that to begin the year, Thames is a full-time guy, but if he starts slow, how long will Counsell keep him in the lineup. 
Well, you never really know, but Thames was just handed a $16M contract to play 1B for the next 3 years and is having a decent spring, while Aguilar was a waiver claim considered a long-shot to even make the roster. Platoon seems unlikely since Aguilar has no track record in the minors of being good against lefties. Everything Im seeing with Aguilar screams spring-training fluke. Id view this as an opportunity to buy Thames cheaper rather than a reason to bail.

My fantasy team is loving this start from him (slugging .720), but his sitting against lefties is kind of frustrating.  Aguilar is hitting too though; so, I can't really blame the Brewers.

Limp Ditka said:
Great interview on Intentional Talk today. Seems to be a real likable guy
Thames has already broken Bonds' career mark for being called a real likeable guy

I'm amazed that he was/is still out there in some leagues.  (Not intended to be one of those insipid Pool-type "can I join your league?" posts.)
I honestly thought he was drafted. Got him for $5. I'll keep you all posted on how my team/season is going   :D

Users who are viewing this thread