What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Project or Die: Jon Gray (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Entering his year 25 season.  He was positive in Ks and at worst neutral in the other SP categories last year.  His home/away splits weren't extreme in 2016 except for his walk rate; he walked twice as many batters at Coors with an almost equal number of home/away starts.

I think he has potential to be a very good fantasy pitcher but can't get past the concern that altitude will limit his elite upside.  Will you ever draft a Rockies' starter? 

If there's one since Ubaldo, it's him.

For my drafts he went 22.1 in a 10 team total points and 13.4 in a 12 team H2H

Think the 221 overall is much more reasonable than that 160

I like the idea of Bud Black getting his hands on him. Hopefully it results in a step forward. BB rate goes down, ERA gets closer to 4. ERA. How Murphy is as an everyday catcher could be a wildcard in this.

Innings - 195

Ks - 220

ERA - 4.05

WHIP - 1.26

Record - :shrug: he pitches are Coors. As much of a crapshoot guess as there is out there. 

Will you ever draft a Rockies' starter? 
I drafted 3 Rox pitchers (Gray, Anderson, Holland) and no Rox hitters this year. :bag:

I think Gray continues to make progress, but Coors keeps him from being elite. Lots of K's, subpar WHIP and ERA. Somewhere around LD's numbers, I suppose.

He reminds me of a slugger that you take for the HR's, knowing that his average is going to hurt you.

big fan since first i saw him. not a smart pitcher but he's got feel and, now he's made his bones,  i think he can at least play MileHigh to par. especially if he commits to a 3rd pitch and throws his 4th away.

This is actually a really good way of looking at him, IMO.
True but HRs also count as RBIs.  An every day player with 30 HRs should be positive in at least two categories.

Gray giveth SOs but could potentially taketh away in two categories.  In that regard, he's more like a crap closer but with twice the negative contribution in ERA and WHIP.  There's been one qualifying SP season in Coors Field history with a WHIP less than 1.2.

True but HRs also count as RBIs.  An every day player with 30 HRs should be positive in at least two categories.

Gray giveth SOs but could potentially taketh away in two categories.  In that regard, he's more like a crap closer but with twice the negative contribution in ERA and WHIP.  There's been one qualifying SP season in Coors Field history with a WHIP less than 1.2.
Usually those low BA/high HR guys also bring the 0 SB anchor as well.

Safe to put  Jon Gray and Robbie Ray in the same discussion here, I think.

True, but the Coors effect is baked into the price. Not going to find many surer 200+K guys in that range (#45-50 SP off the board). 

True, but the Coors effect is baked into the price. Not going to find many surer 200+K guys in that range (#45-50 SP off the board). 
Fair point.  If you can get him as a SP4, you can always sit him at Coors if he's not pitching well.

Users who are viewing this thread