What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The other migration (1 Viewer)

Why are so many Americans moving out of cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis?  Not a good trend for Democrats.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2017/cb17-44.html
1. Because living in a big city sucks;

2. Because baby boomers are retiring.  When people retire they tend to move out of expensive cities and into less expensive suburbs and rural areas;

3. Because the moving trend toward working from home (or anywhere) makes it more possible than ever to escape and, as noted, living in a big city sucks;

4. You don't have to be in a big city to get the things people used to move there for (delivery services, etc.)

Wayne County and Michigan in general don't belong on that list with Cook County. Wayne County has been losing population for awhile due to an inability to provide good jobs in the state.

Why are so many Americans moving out of cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis?  Not a good trend for Democrats.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2017/cb17-44.html
While I don't consider myself a democrat, I moved from Hennepin County* to Maricopa (and then to an equally conservative Arizona county).  Additionally, if Maricopa is going to be your baseline, consider that in the past year Sheriff Joe has been voted out and the minimum wage was voted to increase.  

Perhaps this is a bad thing for Republicans (or at least alt-right/Trump Republicans? 

2. Because baby boomers are retiring.  When people retire they tend to move out of expensive cities and into less expensive suburbs and rural areas;

3. Because the moving trend toward working from home (or anywhere) makes it more possible than ever to escape and, as noted, living in a big city sucks;

4. You don't have to be in a big city to get the things people used to move there for (delivery services, etc.)
That and those places are good.  Arizona/SoCal/Florida aren't. 

While I don't consider myself a democrat, I moved from Hennepin County* to Maricopa (and then to an equally conservative Arizona county).  Additionally, if Maricopa is going to be your baseline, consider that in the past year Sheriff Joe has been voted out and the minimum wage was voted to increase.  

Perhaps this is a bad thing for Republicans (or at least alt-right/Trump Republicans? 
I wasn't aware they'd voted out Sheriff Joe. Good.

Because Rust Belt cities have been particularly hard-hit by globalization and the decline in American manufacturing, and the traditional jobs that sustained the areas in the past are gone and aren't coming back.  What do I win?

Urban growth has actually picked up.  It's just not in the areas that were historically "big cities".  We are making new "big cities".

Because Rust Belt cities have been particularly hard-hit by globalization and the decline in American manufacturing, and the traditional jobs that sustained the areas in the past are gone and aren't coming back.  What do I win?
A one way ticket to Detroit.  You will be staying at the Detroit Hilton - security provided by a pack of wild dogs.

Downtown Los Angeles is booming. I just heard today that condo values there have shot up 63% in the last few years- they're selling like hot cakes. 

MaxThreshold said:
Does the Devil let you actually sleep in Hell?
Because of Pelosi and the Democrats standing firm in the house, 20 million people have kept their health insurance. If anyone is in Hell it is the Republicans who were trying to take it away. :yes:

Downtown Los Angeles is booming. I just heard today that condo values there have shot up 63% in the last few years- they're selling like hot cakes. 
I travel to LA for work quite a bit. Downtown LA has become a fantastic place to travel to for work compared to say 10 years ago. Cool bars, lots of restaurants, a giant open air food market. Used to be a total ####hole down there.

Higgs said:
Sounds like decades of failed Liberal policies is the reason.  Who would've thunk it?
Seattle, SF, Portland are as liberal as it gets and have been for decades and are all booming.

Users who are viewing this thread