What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone have/use an outdoor griddle? (1 Viewer)

Kanil

Footballguy
I'm considering buying an outdoor griddle.  I cook breakfast for 10-15 people every Sunday and this seems like it would save a lot of cook time and cleanup time compared to the stovetop.

I'm currently looking at something like THIS.

Anyone have any experience with these?  What else do you cook on it besides breakfast?  Is there anything in particular I should look for when choosing a model?  I'd like to stay under $400 or so if possible but could be swayed to go higher if I need to.  Also, any must have accessories?

I'm considering buying an outdoor griddle.  I cook breakfast for 10-15 people every Sunday and this seems like it would save a lot of cook time and cleanup time compared to the stovetop.

Anyone have any experience with these?  What else do you cook on it besides breakfast?  Is there anything in particular I should look for when choosing a model?  I'd like to stay under $400 or so if possible but could be swayed to go higher if I need to.  Also, any must have accessories?
Yeah, that's a good chunk of change for something with relatively limited utility.

We own this exact unit and love it. We use it for everything from eggs, bacon and sausage to burgers and hotdogs. We have had it for years and zero issues. 

Well not zero issues, we had to reinforce the shelves. they are rather weak. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kanil said:

My neighbor just bought one of those. I think it's the same make and model.  He loves it.  We cook all kinds of stuff on it, and we're still trying new stuff all the time.  Vegetables, chops, fried rice, chicken, etc.  It will make cooking large breakfast a breeze.  Get some hibatchi tools and you're good to go.  

It's pretty easy to clean, just use a lot of oil to keep it seasoned after you're done with it.  Only thing I can't comment on is the rack/stand.  He set the top on a brick enclosure.

wikkidpissah said:
Well, I got me a fine wife I got me an ole fiddle and when the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle. Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle.
Thank God you're a country boy!

I have that exact model of Blackstone. I have made everything from pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage to shrimp fried rice. I made London Broil, fried potatoes, asparagus, onions and mushrooms on it as well. 

The thing is awesome. I have to reseason it this week. Developed a little rust over the winter. Just some salt for abrasive and I will have it back up and running.

@Buddy Ball 2K3 and @Cold Dead Hands

Some of the reviews say the grease can run down one of the legs rather than into the drip pan.  You guys seen any issues with that?  I'll probably cook ~2lbs of bacon at a time on it.  And it's that good butchers bacon, not that garbage you get from the grocery store, super fatty.

Ignoramus said:
Yeah, that's a good chunk of change for something with relatively limited utility.
I agree.  Although I'd use it once a week for sure (more than I use my smoker which cost about the same).  One of the reasons I came here asking if anyone uses it for more than just breakfast type food.

Kanil said:

Do it. Now. 

I received the academy version exactly like that one for father's day last year and it is the single best thing I've ever owned. I started with lots of breakfast - omelletes, bacon, sausage,  hasbrowns..

I still do that every weekend and have also moved to shrimp fried rice, burgers,  vegetables, just about anything. I love it. I hardly use my regular grill anymore. 

Things to know - I didn't know what I was doing at first for cleaning. I would put water and soap on it. Don't do that! Get s scraper and get the debris off then coat with oil and rub in with paper towel. The next time you use heat it up and scrape the oil layer off. Then cook. Repeat.  

Get you a couple of the long spatulas like at a hibachi restaurant.  I got a pair on Amazon for 8 bucks. They're all i use except for a big grill fork sometimes for the bacon. 

On the bacon grease it can run down between the grease catcher and leg if you have the griddle leaning wrong. Just put something small under the back right leg and the whole thing will slightly lean perfectly for draining. 

Best thing ever. 

@Buddy Ball 2K3 and @Cold Dead Hands

Some of the reviews say the grease can run down one of the legs rather than into the drip pan.  You guys seen any issues with that?  I'll probably cook ~2lbs of bacon at a time on it.  And it's that good butchers bacon, not that garbage you get from the grocery store, super fatty.
Never had a problem with the grease trap. It is small but some people wire bigger coffee cans to it. Those people are what I like to call lazy.

Do it. Now. 

I received the academy version exactly like that one for father's day last year and it is the single best thing I've ever owned. I started with lots of breakfast - omelletes, bacon, sausage,  hasbrowns..

I still do that every weekend and have also moved to shrimp fried rice, burgers,  vegetables, just about anything. I love it. I hardly use my regular grill anymore. 

Things to know - I didn't know what I was doing at first for cleaning. I would put water and soap on it. Don't do that! Get s scraper and get the debris off then coat with oil and rub in with paper towel. The next time you use heat it up and scrape the oil layer off. Then cook. Repeat.  

Get you a couple of the long spatulas like at a hibachi restaurant.  I got a pair on Amazon for 8 bucks. They're all i use except for a big grill fork sometimes for the bacon. 

On the bacon grease it can run down between the grease catcher and leg if you have the griddle leaning wrong. Just put something small under the back right leg and the whole thing will slightly lean perfectly for draining. 

Best thing ever. 
This is great. Thank you.  Now to talk the wife into it...

I can't get your links to work.  Any way you could just put the name of each item and I can search it on Amazon?  (I try to buy everything from smile.amazon.com unless it's absurdly more expensive to support the Chance for Hope charity)

Sorry they aren't working now for me either

Scraper - search foodservice 37487

Oil bottle - search griddle squeeze bottle

Spatula - search overstockedkitchen turner

Kanil said:

I just bought one of these to throw right on the grill/smoker

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=54499&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvp3wtHxpu_EwEdQhXPU8eWlybCw18osoDoCvkyCrKUIaAiUQ8P8HAQ

This thing is sweet.  Just cooked for 12 people in 1/2 hour with very little cleanup.  The best was scrambling 18 eggs in 90 seconds.

I did go through an entire tank of propane seasoning it though.  I chose the windiest day possible (30mph winds) and that was a mistake.

Update:

I've now used this somewhere between 20 and 30 times.  I've mostly cooked breakfast on it but have done steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs and brats on it as well.  I overcooked the steaks  :(  but everything else has turned out perfectly.

I did have an issue with the hose that connects the griddle to the propane tank.  I put the new tank on and heard a crack.  After that, the flow of propane was super low.  Had to replace that hose for $12 and it's as good as new.

My one complaint about the functionality of the grill is its grease trap.  If you've got a lot of grease it ends up not dripping correctly and can run down the leg (surface tension is causing it to wrap around the bottom of the drip tray and down the leg).  I fixed that by attaching a paper clip with one end of the clip stuck straight down through the hole which fixed the surface tension issue.

My next purchase is going to be the grill attachment.  I'm skeptical as I'm not sure it's going to provide even heat but I'll update again once I get it and have used it a few times.

got the 36" Blackstone on Black friday for $225.....only done fajitas so far, but plan on a lot of griddling over the holiday break

got the 36" Blackstone on Black friday for $225.....only done fajitas so far, but plan on a lot of griddling over the holiday break
I really want one of these. I just did a project with Home Depot for holiday grilling. I was offered 4 different grills to use. This was one of them. The only problem is, Christmas and NYE is usually about prime rib or beef tenderloin. At least that's what resonates most. There's no way to do a prime rib on one. I'm hoping this project goes into the next year and I can add one of those to the arsenal. I have a griddle top grill that is basically a fire pit with a 10 inch cast iron lip around the outside, but it is fueled by firewood and it takes a good 2 hours to get hot. I love to do breakfast on the grill in the warm months and this would be ideal for that. Right now I just put a couple cast iron griddles on one of my grills and I feed 8-10 people a couple times a month when it is warmer. 

Springtime bump. Been thinking about buying a Blackstone and wanted to see if any here really like it. I currently using a Traeger for smoking etc and small gas grill 

Users who are viewing this thread