What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings It - Prepare to Float Down There..... (1 Viewer)

Great book!  Really looking forward to this movie.  I love that they are focusing on the early years instead of the adult lives.  

"They all float down here......"

I found both the book and television adaption to be underwhelming.  Not horrible just kind of meh.  I don't think the dialogue in the book translates well to screen and the monster and how they overcame it...ugh.

That said, Pennywise was on point.

Great book!  Really looking forward to this movie.  I love that they are focusing on the early years instead of the adult lives.  

"They all float down here......"
I thought on a podcast i was just listening to they said it was two parts?  I hope it's not some H.P./Twilight crap with parts 1 and 2. 

I thought on a podcast i was just listening to they said it was two parts?  I hope it's not some H.P./Twilight crap with parts 1 and 2. 
From what I've read, the adult years will be in a second movie....assuming the first movie gets a good rating/following.

I found both the book and television adaption to be underwhelming.  Not horrible just kind of meh.  I don't think the dialogue in the book translates well to screen and the monster and how they overcame it...ugh.

Surely Pennywise was better than the "final monster" - should have just stayed Pennywise if that was the best they could come up with.

Other than that, I was way into It and am looking forward to the new adaptation.  Won't be hamstrung by 1980's ABC network restrictions.

Surely Pennywise was better than the "final monster" - should have just stayed Pennywise if that was the best they could come up with.

Other than that, I was way into It and am looking forward to the new adaptation.  Won't be hamstrung by 1980's ABC network restrictions.
I really liked the book until the end when the final monster was revealed.   A major letdown.

I never thought the mini-series effectively captured the violence or horror of the book.....and although the kids were cast well, the adults were a trainwreck. I'm a bit skeptical of only a two part movie and would have rather seen a television mini-series on HBO or AMC that could have captured the depth of the book 

The end makes sense in regards to the story, but it is underwhelming. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought the mini-series effectively captured the violence or horror of the book.....and although the kids were cast well, the adults were a trainwreck. I'm a bit skeptical of only a two part movie and would have rather seen a television mini-series on HBO or AMC that could have captured the depth of the book 

The end makes sense in regards to the story, but it is underwhelming. 
Agree with pretty much all of this.

They're gonna have to SEVERELY compress/omit things to get the kids' story into one two hour movie. One of the good things about the book during the 1958 sections was that it stretched across an entire summer (the adults sections basically last one day combined) and things seemed to happen at a more realistic pace. With this format, things are gonna have to happen all at once to fit even the most basic beats into one film.

I don't mind changes from one medium to another if they make sense, but I'm just wondering how they're gonna do it.

Trailer looks good, though.

The "final monster" isn't really the way the actual monster is described in the book (which is probably why the movie screenwriters just stayed completely away from the spider v. turtle and "deadlights" themes). 

I really liked the book until the end when the final monster was revealed.   A major letdown.
Huh? It's been many years since the book, but I thought the reveal of the deadlights/ultimate evil character (which was the inverse of the turtle character that was essentially dying off) was way earlier. 

Huh? It's been many years since the book, but I thought the reveal of the deadlights/ultimate evil character (which was the inverse of the turtle character that was essentially dying off) was way earlier. 
I dunno.  It has been many years since I read it too.  I thought the story went downhill in the sewer and the encounter with the giant spider.

I dunno.  It has been many years since I read it too.  I thought the story went downhill in the sewer and the encounter with the giant spider.
Yeah I didn't really like the spider idea.  In King's defense, he needed to come up with a physical manifestation of this evil and a spider makes some sense.  It just pales in comparison to how awesome of an antagonist that Pennywise is and really sort of betrays the creativity of the depth of the evil being. 

King was (is?) deathly afraid of spiders and was doing eight balls of coke before breakfast during the time IT was written. Accounts for the presence of spiders in some of his other works, too.

Clear your mind, hide your fear 
Don't look around, don't turn around 
Pennywise is here
Hide your feelings, hide your fear
Pennywise is here

Evil lurks in his eyes 
The clown they call Pennywise
He'll catch you by surprise

He's a monster, he's not human 
He's more than just a figment of your imagination 
You can't run, can't hide 
There's no way to escape Pennywise

Evil lurks in his eyes 

He'll creep inside your soul at night and torment nice and slow 
Don't look around or turn around Pennywise will know 
He'll make you wish that you were dead and make it hard to cope 
He'll make you wish that you were dead and hanging by a rope

Evil lurks in his eyes 

Clear your mind hide your fear 
Pennywise is here.

I've read it before (long time ago), but remember it being a tad disappointing at the end too.  IMO it doesn't take away from the rest, and I think that IT might be his best book (that I've read).  So much detail (to a fault sometimes), but it really puts you in the kids' heads.  There are some genuinely scary moments in this book that still put me on edge now as I am rereading it. 

That said, this movie will get 0 money from me if they are in fact chopping it up into 2 movies.  I hate that so much - such a money grab.  If it's good, people can and will sit through a 3+ hour movie.  Like somebody else said, some decent network should have done this as a 6-8 part run of episodes and dig a big deeper. 

I've read it before (long time ago), but remember it being a tad disappointing at the end too.  IMO it doesn't take away from the rest, and I think that IT might be his best book (that I've read).  So much detail (to a fault sometimes), but it really puts you in the kids' heads.  There are some genuinely scary moments in this book that still put me on edge now as I am rereading it. 

That said, this movie will get 0 money from me if they are in fact chopping it up into 2 movies.  I hate that so much - such a money grab.  If it's good, people can and will sit through a 3+ hour movie.  Like somebody else said, some decent network should have done this as a 6-8 part run of episodes and dig a big deeper. 
It depends on the run time... If its split in two, I'm positive we're talking 4+ hours.  Tarentino did it with Kill Bill and that's a top 5-10 movie for me.  I don't really have a huge issue if they're that length.  If they're each 90 mins, yeah sure.

It depends on the run time... If its split in two, I'm positive we're talking 4+ hours.  Tarentino did it with Kill Bill andhat's a top 5-10 movie for me.  . I don't really have a huge issue if they're that length.  If they're each 90 mins, yeah sure.
I just have a huge issue with paying 2x when movies are already expensive enough.  

I also think its a mistake separating it into kids/adults for each movie.  I really like how the book goes back and forth, and I am sure there is a way to do that effectively.  But I am not a screenwriter, so what do I know?   

This should be interesting. Has been many, many years (call it decades) since I read IT, but it's always maintained a place in my mind as one of King's best works. Would be interesting to revisit the novel and see if that remains true (for me).

I have zero problems with the "two movie" route. The book is 1,100 pages. You simply cannot do the story justice in one movie (unless it was uncomfortably long). The most logical way to split it up is to divide it as kids / adults. True, those stories are interspersed in the novel, but it would make a lot of sense to handle it chronologically on the big screen.

Of course, it's serious supposition to assume there will be an IT sequel which tackles the adult story. That only happens IF the first movie makes serious money. Horror movies often give studios/investors a very nice financial return but that's also because most horror movies have low upfront costs and - if marketed well - there's a stable audience who will purchase tickets. Not sure what the budget is for IT but I suspect it's larger than your average horror flick.

With IT, you're filming a property that's about fifteen years older than your average high school student (who make up a big percentage of the horror audience). It's hard to sell horror to most people over the age of 30...which is not meant to be all-encompassing, just a basic market demographic. The major IT fans (and Stephen King fans in general) will fall into that 30+ age bracket.

All this to say, I'll be interested to see what sort of box office IT generates. If it does well, the sequel is interesting since you would theoretically only be returning one cast member from the original movie (the actor playing Pennywise). The rest of the actors are recast since the next movie would take place 27 years later.

On the plus side, IT should theoretically be a reasonable transfer to film (much easier than the attempt to translate The Dark Tower...good luck with that, guys). I suspect some of the heavily sexual scenes of the book won't find their way into the movie (thinking one "group" scene in particular that worked in the novel from an emotional/spiritual context but that's just not going to fly with people watching child actors in the local moviehouse). But a lot of the visuals from the book should work well on the big screen.

A scary clown is, after all, quite scary.

KarmaPolice said:

IIRC, the book features the adults more predominately in the second half, but they still comes back to the kids in flashbacks.  I'd imagine that the second movie will start with the story at the beginning of the book (the two gay guys) to show that It's back...and then they'll just go from there. 

ETA: I think there's way too much for just one movie....but enough (if they trim fat) for two longer movies (coming in at about 5 hours)....

After reading It, I didn't pick up another Stephen king book for about 25 years. It was my favorite book of his before the last few hundred pages. Amazing character development and story only to go #### up when he shoots his load trying to wrap it up with a finish he pulled from his ###.

That being said, 11/22/63 has been pretty good, albeit maybe just because it's nice to read his prose with no horror.

I would do 2 or 3 movies but I'd intersperse them between kids and adults the way the book does. That worked for me in the book.

Also, I loved the ending. I wasn't disappointed at all.

After reading It, I didn't pick up another Stephen king book for about 25 years. It was my favorite book of his before the last few hundred pages. Amazing character development and story only to go #### up when he shoots his load trying to wrap it up with a finish he pulled from his ###.

That being said, 11/22/63 has been pretty good, albeit maybe just because it's nice to read his prose with no horror.
I didn't love the ending of 11/22/63 much either if I remember right.  To be honest, I don't love a lot of King's endings, but most of the time the ride up to that point is well worth it. 

IIRC, the book features the adults more predominately in the second half, but they still comes back to the kids in flashbacks.  I'd imagine that the second movie will start with the story at the beginning of the book (the two gay guys) to show that It's back...and then they'll just go from there. 

ETA: I think there's way too much for just one movie....but enough (if they trim fat) for two longer movies (coming in at about 5 hours)....
I am about 1/2 through and just scanning the pages, it seems like the majority of the pages are from the 50s.  Could just be b/c like somebody said, the story for the kids is over the course of months and the adults are days so it feels like more towards the kids side. 

I didn't love the ending of 11/22/63 much either if I remember right.  To be honest, I don't love a lot of King's endings, but most of the time the ride up to that point is well worth it. 
I think my favorite endings are Carrie and Firestarter. Angry girls blow up everybody.

This should be interesting. Has been many, many years (call it decades) since I read IT, but it's always maintained a place in my mind as one of King's best works. Would be interesting to revisit the novel and see if that remains true (for me).

I have zero problems with the "two movie" route. The book is 1,100 pages. You simply cannot do the story justice in one movie (unless it was uncomfortably long). The most logical way to split it up is to divide it as kids / adults. True, those stories are interspersed in the novel, but it would make a lot of sense to handle it chronologically on the big screen.

Of course, it's serious supposition to assume there will be an IT sequel which tackles the adult story. That only happens IF the first movie makes serious money. Horror movies often give studios/investors a very nice financial return but that's also because most horror movies have low upfront costs and - if marketed well - there's a stable audience who will purchase tickets. Not sure what the budget is for IT but I suspect it's larger than your average horror flick.

With IT, you're filming a property that's about fifteen years older than your average high school student (who make up a big percentage of the horror audience). It's hard to sell horror to most people over the age of 30...which is not meant to be all-encompassing, just a basic market demographic. The major IT fans (and Stephen King fans in general) will fall into that 30+ age bracket.

All this to say, I'll be interested to see what sort of box office IT generates. If it does well, the sequel is interesting since you would theoretically only be returning one cast member from the original movie (the actor playing Pennywise). The rest of the actors are recast since the next movie would take place 27 years later.

On the plus side, IT should theoretically be a reasonable transfer to film (much easier than the attempt to translate The Dark Tower...good luck with that, guys). I suspect some of the heavily sexual scenes of the book won't find their way into the movie (thinking one "group" scene in particular that worked in the novel from an emotional/spiritual context but that's just not going to fly with people watching child actors in the local moviehouse). But a lot of the visuals from the book should work well on the big screen.

A scary clown is, after all, quite scary.
I guess I am about the only one that hates this splitting up the movie business, and that's fine. 

What I think would be worse, is if they are not planning and shooting these things with the intent to release both.  It would be silly just to have 1/2 the story come out, have no resolution, then wait for the box office returns to see if they do the next part of the story. 

Again, I haven't read a ton on this, but I was under the impression that they did cut it in 1/2 and they were starting to cast/shoot the adult stuff.  I might have to listen to the podcast again, I am sure I heard it at the start of one of The Loser's Club podcasts. 

I just watched the trailer. I am so ####### IN!

This is my second favorite King book, behind The Stand. I've read it dozens of times since i was 12. I liked the miniseries but didn't think it did justice to the book.

KarmaPolice said:
Word is they are starting a King universe

this will be followed up by Green Mile 2: Coffeys Conundrum

Then a prequel to "It" titled "That"

if those do well they will make the adult It

Sadly, the 11/22/63 miniseries was trash.

I guess I am about the only one that hates this splitting up the movie business, and that's fine. 

What I think would be worse, is if they are not planning and shooting these things with the intent to release both.  It would be silly just to have 1/2 the story come out, have no resolution, then wait for the box office returns to see if they do the next part of the story. 

Again, I haven't read a ton on this, but I was under the impression that they did cut it in 1/2 and they were starting to cast/shoot the adult stuff.  I might have to listen to the podcast again, I am sure I heard it at the start of one of The Loser's Club podcasts. 
I'm not crazy about two feature films either (I'd rather see a TV series), but - without giving too much away, I hope - the way the kids' part of the story ends could be a natural ending for one film if they decided to not make the adult-portion film (after all, the kids in the book thought it was the end too). So, it really wouldn't be half of a story - just half of the book.

Anyway, I think this film will do well enough that the second part will get made.

I'm not crazy about two feature films either (I'd rather see a TV series), but - without giving too much away, I hope - the way the kids' part of the story ends could be a natural ending for one film if they decided to not make the adult-portion film (after all, the kids in the book thought it was the end too). So, it really wouldn't be half of a story - just half of the book.

Anyway, I think this film will do well enough that the second part will get made.
Fair point, and I was just thinking about this last night too. 

Read a little bit online this morning and it still seems like they are saying the adult portion is not guaranteed.  Still think that's dumb, but I get it - most of these remakes and reboots aren't for the fans, it's so the fans take newbies or their kids to the movie and get a new wave of people interested in the properties. 

Like you said, this will probably do well enough for the next part, especially with the increase in interest in King stuff with the Dark Tower and Castle Rock also coming out.  Budget isn't too bad - about 30M?  I see the director did Mama, so if this movie feels like the first 90% of that movie it should be good (the end of that movie was about as bad as I have seen in awhile - just horrible). 

ETA:  Also a huge bonus that it's rated R - I just saw that.  Very few really good pg-13 horror movies. 

Oh yes, in for this movie.  It has to be better than the silly TV mini-series.  That was dreadful.  

Loved the book but, like others have mentioned here, wasn't happy with the ending.  One of my favorite SK books.  

AcerFC said:
Clear your mind, hide your fear 
Pennywise is here
Hide your feelings, hide your fear
Pennywise is here

Evil lurks in his eyes 

He's a monster, he's not human 
He's more than just a figment of your imagination 
You can't run, can't hide 
There's no way to escape Pennywise

Evil lurks in his eyes 

He'll creep inside your soul at night and torment nice and slow 
Don't look around or turn around Pennywise will know 
He'll make you wish that you were dead and make it hard to cope 
He'll make you wish that you were dead and hanging by a rope

Evil lurks in his eyes 

Clear your mind hide your fear 
Pennywise is here.
I prefer bro hymm but I like this song as well :excited:  

People #####ing about It being 2 movies?

The Hobbit ring a bell for anyone?

Proportionally, the It movie would need ~11 installments to match up with the Hobbits 300 page/3 movie outcome.

People #####ing about It being 2 movies?

The Hobbit ring a bell for anyone?

Proportionally, the It movie would need ~11 installments to match up with the Hobbits 300 page/3 movie outcome.
My view is that the structure of the IT movies doesn't match the books - the kids stuff, plus interludes, covers way more time than the adults' part in "Derry Time" (which is basically 24 hours). Splitting that book into 1/2 kids, 1/2 adults with a film for each is a big change. If it works, I'm good with it. Above, I was just saying that if they wanted to stay close to the books, this would be better served as a TV series. 

I know not one single person who thinks splitting The Hobbit novel into 3 films made any sense whatsoever. 

One thing I hope they do is vary greatly from the dialogue King uses.  It's usually pretty great on the page and downright awful on film. This one, especially.

One thing I hope they do is vary greatly from the dialogue King uses.  It's usually pretty great on the page and downright awful on film. This one, especially.
I dunno, GB - his Detta dialogue in the Dark Tower books was downright shameful. And I felt that when the early books came out decades ago. He has GOT to stop trying to make black people hip.

It was my 2d favorite King book behind The Stand which is my fave......the ABC miniseries was very underwhelming...Tim Curry was ok as Pennywise but the adults were like a bad sitcom reunion with John Boy, Jack Tripper, Judge Harry and Venus Flytrap...it was distracting.....love the idea of a movie but agree a long HBO type series would have been even better....hope they do that for The Stand someday!  

Users who are viewing this thread