What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Massive fire under I-85 in Atlanta -- section of interstate has collapsed (1 Viewer)

Yep, right by Piedmont Rd. 

This is going to have a cascade effect on traffic all over the city until they can repair that section, and Atlanta traffic is already a nightmare.
Yeah not good. I used to drive under that section everyday (buckhead to highlands).  

Yikes.  Hope nobody got hurt.  :eek:

Can't imagine what traffic's going to be like until they rebuild it.

you just know, 4-5 car lengths in back of the lead car some ####### is #####ing about traffic and trying to get around so he can keep driving

Oh, no.  I love love love Atlanta, but its traffic is preposterous for its size.  Glad no one was hurt!  Still, this could be an utter disaster for commuters for months.  I'm sure the Braves, now secure in their cute little edge city, are not sorry they're missing out.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother is stuck in it... I've been getting live updates of "still not moving" every 5 minutes for the last hour. 

Very thankful I telecommute and live in the NE burbs. 

So I remember spaghetti junction getting burned up and takings months...  this being not 80 ft in the air should make it easier to fix, no?  I'm assuming they go 24/7 to fix this, so any guesses on a reopen date?

My brother is stuck in it... I've been getting live updates of "still not moving" every 5 minutes for the last hour. 

Very thankful I telecommute and live in the NE burbs. 
I left Atlanta in '05 and started telecommuting then, returned in '11 and kept the permanent VO arrangement even though I could've commuted every day. There was no point -- my boss is in Chicago and I have colleagues in UK, Germany, Australia, Hong Kong, etc. Business is done via email, IM and conference calls. Last year we get a new VP and he's opposed to telecommuting, so I was assigned an office (Piedmont Rd. about a mile from the fire) and told I have to report at least once a week. I'm definitely going to use this as an excuse to stay home. 

Oh and the VP demanding I report to the office is based in Texas and I may never meet the guy.  :crazy:

So I remember spaghetti junction getting burned up and takings months...  this being not 80 ft in the air should make it easier to fix, no?  I'm assuming they go 24/7 to fix this, so any guesses on a reopen date?
Memorial Day weekend 2019.

I left Atlanta in '05 and started telecommuting then, returned in '11 and kept the permanent VO arrangement even though I could've commuted every day. There was no point -- my boss is in Chicago and I have colleagues in UK, Germany, Australia, Hong Kong, etc. Business is done via email, IM and conference calls. Last year we get a new VP and he's opposed to telecommuting, so I was assigned an office (Piedmont Rd. about a mile from the fire) and told I have to report at least once a week. I'm definitely going to use this as an excuse to stay home. 

Oh and the VP demanding I report to the office is based in Texas and I may never meet the guy.  :crazy:
Yeah, we have an office in town, but I've only been like twice in the past six years.  My department was pretty forward thinking about the telecommuting, and I love it now.  I do have to fly out a few times over the next couple of weeks, so that might screw things up. Suwannee to Hartsfield Jackson went from 40 mins to probably 90 for awhile. 

Yeah, we have an office in town, but I've only been like twice in the past six years.  My department was pretty forward thinking about the telecommuting, and I love it now.  I do have to fly out a few times over the next couple of weeks, so that might screw things up. Suwannee to Hartsfield Jackson went from 40 mins to probably 90 for awhile. 
Hopefully that southbound span passes inspection and it will reopen in a couple days.

I vacuumed my pool this afternoon, did a few bong rips around 3:30, played fetch with the dog...pretty nice Thursday.
Rolled out of bed, went upstairs around 8.  Walked the dog, watched a few episodes of breaking bad while I did some work, and played some PS3. 

McGarnicle said:
It was really thick black smoke and witnesses saw stacks of PVC pipe burning. 
If that huge fire was fiber optic cables burning that's probably going to be a bigger problem than the road. And more expensive

If it's the area I'm thinking of that area was already a disaster for traffic.  What a nightmare.  No injuries is pretty lucky though.

Going down to Sandy Springs from Charlotte tomorrow for the Radiohead concert (taking MARTA into ATL).  Planning on hitting up some of the good Asian food around bufort.  Sounds like we should be pretty good.  localguys, let me know if that is wrong

Going down to Sandy Springs from Charlotte tomorrow for the Radiohead concert (taking MARTA into ATL).  Planning on hitting up some of the good Asian food around bufort.  Sounds like we should be pretty good.  localguys, let me know if that is wrong
Yeah, you should be fine. Possibly more traffic than usual on 285 though. Also Buford Highway runs alongside where this happened, but the good Asian places are well north of that. If you're driving to eat and then back to Sandy Springs to take Marta to the show, you'll be fine.

My spot is Pho Bac if you're going for Vietnamese. :thumbup:  

Buford or a Buford Hwy?  Buford is the mall of GA and white person paradise, Buford hwy is where you'll get the authentic Asian cuisine. 

Youre probably ok, but I don't know if anyone can say for sure what forcing all that traffic into other areas actually means. Also the Braves open SunTrust tonight so that should be fun. 

http://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/collapses-after-massive-fire-the-entire-bridge-compromised/FRzANVZ9vgyWW2WZfyN6jI/

"The cork is in the bottle" Department of Public Safety Director Mark McDonough said. "It couldn't have happened at a worse time." 

uh.... what?   :confused:
It's an odd metaphor for sure, but I think he's saying the people are the wine, the bottle is the road, and the collapse is the cork?

Always good to use alcohol metaphors when talking about driving and traffic. 

How's traffic?
The dog cut in front of me going from the coffee maker to the upstairs office. I paused for about 1.2 seconds to let him pass, so it's a little worse than most fridays, but I made it okay. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the endless news stories in that link, and not ONE of them has any ####### clue what happened.   The news blows these days.

Users who are viewing this thread