What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My brush with death (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
Hi all. I never thought I would feel lucky to do something as simple as to post in a forum like this, but here I am.

On Friday March 3rd, I started getting this pain in my guts. Sort of like the pain you feel after eating really spicy food. But if you know me, I love spicy food and I have an iron stomach. By March 7th, I'd had enough and I took myself to the emergency ward. The emergency doctors at Kaiser tried few tests, but could not find a cause and they sent me home with pain meds.

By 6 a.m. on March 9th, my wife woke to me groaning in agony in bed and declared she was taking me back to the emergency ward. On the drive to the hospital I told her that I was definitely getting some surgery today for something. Thankfully, this emergency doctor insisted that I get a CAT scan. Finally, they discovered I had an appendicitis. Now, no one looks forward to surgery, but I couldn't wait! The surgeon informed me that he'd be doing emergency surgery, and that they probably only need two small incisions in my torso to complete the surgery.

I awoke two see and 11 inch slice all the way down my torso and 20 staples to hold it all together. Not only that I have an appendicitis, but I had gangrene that was spreading to my colon. Had I waited another day or two I'd be dead. The doctors removed a fist size piece of my colon.

What followed was six agonizing days in a hospital room. I couldn't eat because food smelled awful, my guts hurt like I was being punched constantly. I was in so much pain I literally wanted to die. I was in so much pain, I told my beautiful wife not to visit me. Let me say this, if you're doing any lifestyle like drinking or smoking that will eventually bring you to a hospital stay, I suggest you stop. I've never felt so close to hell as I did in that hospital room.

I've been recovering for days now, and I don't have to go to work until April 10th. Thank goodness I have enough sick time to cover my pay. I've lost 18 pounds and my mom said well at least you lost some weight. Trust me, I'd rather gained 30 pounds and go through that torture again.

It feels good to talk movies and football with you guys again. I know it seems trivial, but I sure did miss it.

I had that once. It was awful pain. But I had mine taken out that first night. Best nap ever. I'd rather have ten more babies than that pain again. Glad they caught you in time. Watch for pus pocket build ups. 

March 3rd-9th suffering from this  , you are one tough hombre. Hopefully you will get to enjoy some nice days pain free before going back to work

Glad this had a happy ending. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have heard many horror stories of people leaving the ER with serious issues that were not diagnosed.  If at all possible go to your doctor and let them order the tests.  ER's are good for treating gun shots, accidents and broken bones. Internal issues not so much. 

I am so happy to read that you are doing OK.  Such scary stuff.  Glad you are back - now don't do that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad this had a happy ending. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have heard many horror stories of people leaving the ER with serious issues that were not diagnosed.  If at all possible go to your doctor and let them order the tests.  ER's are good for treating gun shots, accidents and broken bones. Internal issues not so much. 
I did ask myself if I should be angry with Kaiser. But in fairness, I wasn't exhibiting most of the normal symptoms of an appendicitis.

My mother just had almost the exact same thing. Eerily similar. She made it too and is back home resting. 

So glad you're OK, GB. Speedy recovery and all my well-wishes to you.. 

Glad you are ok, jdoggy. My uncle was not so lucky. His appendix burst while playing golf. He had surgery and he too was gangrenous. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery, and gave him no antibiotics. He returned a few days later throwing up green stuff. They did test, gave him some fluids, and released him again with no antibiotics. My aunt found him dead the next morning on the bathroom floor. He died of sepsis from an infection from surgery. It was terrible. My aunt sued for negligence and they settled with her.

I did ask myself if I should be angry with Kaiser. But in fairness, I wasn't exhibiting most of the normal symptoms of an appendicitis.
You also left the ER in excruciating pain and had no explanation for the underlying cause.  They should have scheduled a scan to see what was going on.

Again I'm happy all ended well but after my son spent 10 days in the hospital with a similar story I'm not as forgiving any more. 

Yeah I'm not a big 'sue everyone' dude but this seems like a big screwup (I'm not an attorney nor ami a medical professional). 

You should be angry at Kaiser. I'm angry at Kaiser for how they manage to screw me any time I go in there. You should be more mad and get them for all of us who have to deal with their BS.

Glad you are ok.

I had my appendix out when I was 30. I had a pain in my abdomen, and it just felt.... odd. All day at work, it hurt, but it also felt unlike anything previous. I knew something was wrong. That night, I couldn't sleep, and by 2am, I decided to go to the emergency room. By 4am, I was in the operating room. 

Nothing like yours - mine didn't burst/etc, so I just had the three inch scar. was home in two or three days, and back to work in two to three weeks or so (takes the abdomen muscles time to heal - that was the bulk of the recovery).

Don't ignore odd pain down there. The best i could describe it is "you'll know". 

My mother just had almost the exact same thing. Eerily similar. She made it too and is back home resting. 

So glad you're OK, GB. Speedy recovery and all my well-wishes to you.. 
Thanks! I will know that I'm fully recovered when I'm ready to go see another Metal Show.

Had a situation similar to this when I was 14.  Playing in National Championship hockey tourney in Buffalo, played game 1, got sick in evening.  Toughed it out for a full day, went to Children's Hospital in Buffalo, they diagnosed me with gastroenteritis.  Laid in the hotel for 2 more days, feeling worse, flew back home, hit the hospital straight from the airport, emergency surgery, gangrene, etc.  Was in the hospital 4 days post op, went home, developed pus pocket Clown Car referenced, which then required a 7 day stay.  Always thought it was strange that they treated the pus pocket with far more concern and care than the gangrenous appendix.  Glad you're OK.

Appendicitis is no joke. Almost did me in too. Just thought I had the flu or something. Turned into the worst pain I've ever felt. My hands and face eventually turned totally white as I started to go into shock. Went to the ER where they took about 2 hours to see me. Once they saw me and ran some blood tests I was back in surgery within about a half hour.

Took way longer than I expected to recover too. About 3 weeks for me. And a weird little thing I didn't learn until later is that having invasive surgery can actually lead to depression as your body reacts in weird ways to the invasion and having a part removed. Didn't help in my case that this all occurred for me two days after 9/11.

Landsakes, dogboy - good we didnt lose you. I would have given that a terrible review and NO one would have argued w me. Best wishes for full & speedy recovery.

simey said:
Glad you are ok, jdoggy. My uncle was not so lucky. His appendix burst while playing golf. He had surgery and he too was gangrenous. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery, and gave him no antibiotics. He returned a few days later throwing up green stuff. They did test, gave him some fluids, and released him again with no antibiotics. My aunt found him dead the next morning on the bathroom floor. He died of sepsis from an infection from surgery. It was terrible. My aunt sued for negligence and they settled with her.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

berndog said:
my son spent 10 days in the hospital with a similar story I'm not as forgiving any more. 
My nephew nearly died from an infection that Kaiser didn't find until very late, so I do sympathize.

Shrugs said:
You should be angry at Kaiser. I'm angry at Kaiser for how they manage to screw me any time I go in there. You should be more mad and get them for all of us who have to deal with their BS.
But is this a Kaiser-specific problem? Seems like an industry-wide problem.

By the way, I know this thread reads like a, "Look at me!" post. But my motivation for posting this story is purely this cautionary tale: insist on good medical care. You and your loved ones need to fight for your rights and be sure you are heard.

Glad you are okay!

My stepson's appendix burst several years ago and he got a touch of sepsis, but nothing like yours. Scary stuff.

Wow, glad you are ok.  Gangrene?  I didn't realize that was even a tbing anymore.  Scary.  Fwiw, I tell the nurses my best pal is a personal injury lawyer whenever I go into an ER.  It gets me ALL the tests.  Good luck in recovery!

My Sales VP in the East went in for emergency surgery for the same thing on Wednesday.  Said it was brutal.  Glad you are OK

Wow, glad you are ok.  Gangrene?  I didn't realize that was even a tbing anymore.  Scary.  Fwiw, I tell the nurses my best pal is a personal injury lawyer whenever I go into an ER.  It gets me ALL the tests.  Good luck in recovery!
That's weird, I tell them I am a personal injury lawyer and they generally try to murder me. 

Glad you're okay doggy.  Welcome back. 

Users who are viewing this thread