What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My brush with death (1 Viewer)

Look, I'm glad you're okay now but I don't see why you feel the need to disparage drinking and smoking. Are they related to increased incidences of appendicitis?

Look, I'm glad you're okay now but I don't see why you feel the need to disparage drinking and smoking. Are they related to increased incidences of appendicitis?
No. But those behaviors can land you in the hospital, and therefore a certain kind of hell.

I was lucky I had turned 18 when I had appendicitis.  I could sign the consent forms (and I really wanted to sign those forms).  My parents were 1500 miles away because I was in college.  That was the big suck.

Glad you're okay.

By the way, I know this thread reads like a, "Look at me!" post. But my motivation for posting this story is purely this cautionary tale: insist on good medical care. You and your loved ones need to fight for your rights and be sure you are heard.
Cautionary tales are good.

Welcome Back! Glad you are ok.  Also, happy that yours in the only post that contains the words "fist" and "colon" in them.

Glad you are well and recovering.

I have to ask, how does having a fist-sized piece of your colon removed affect your pooping?

OMG.  I haven't been reading the board very closely lately but just caught up.   Horrible experience from the well-written "sound" of it but glad you're okay now.  No "look at me" factor at all!  I'm happy you shared.  Look forward to seeing you around.  

Last edited by a moderator:
TheGooRoo said:
Had a situation similar to this when I was 14.  Playing in National Championship hockey tourney in Buffalo, played game 1, got sick in evening.  Toughed it out for a full day, went to Children's Hospital in Buffalo, they diagnosed me with gastroenteritis.  Laid in the hotel for 2 more days, feeling worse, flew back home, hit the hospital straight from the airport, emergency surgery, gangrene, etc.  Was in the hospital 4 days post op, went home, developed pus pocket Clown Car referenced, which then required a 7 day stay.  Always thought it was strange that they treated the pus pocket with far more concern and care than the gangrenous appendix.  Glad you're OK.
LOOK AT ME, I PLAYED IN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!

J/K

My buddy at work had all of these exact same things, and after the major pus pocket formed (and was subsequently removed again) they too were far more worried.  That first infection generally means there could/should be more.   One of his younger kids wrote a handmade card - "Please don't die, you need to play catch with me" - he was definitely worried about dying, and lost probably 35-40 lbs.   Wicked.

Even worse, a year later, his wife stroked out in the driveway after a yoga class.   Some specific brain embolism that results in death 50% of the time, near vegetable state most of the other 50%.  She managed to push the car alarm on her keyfob before passing out.  The youngest heard the alarm and found her, and called 911.   Sadly, it didn't matter.  This particular type of stroke is a killer, and it won.   She was 45.

Jeez, glad to hear you came out on the positive end of things. 

Wives sometimes get a bad rap in the FFA (spending our money, sleeping with other guys in tents, etc), but we should be grateful for the goods ones....and sounds like you have a good wife. 

J/K

My buddy at work had all of these exact same things, and after the major pus pocket formed (and was subsequently removed again) they too were far more worried.  That first infection generally means there could/should be more.   One of his younger kids wrote a handmade card - "Please don't die, you need to play catch with me" - he was definitely worried about dying, and lost probably 35-40 lbs.   Wicked.

Even worse, a year later, his wife stroked out in the driveway after a yoga class.   Some specific brain embolism that results in death 50% of the time, near vegetable state most of the other 50%.  She managed to push the car alarm on her keyfob before passing out.  The youngest heard the alarm and found her, and called 911.   Sadly, it didn't matter.  This particular type of stroke is a killer, and it won.   She was 45.
Aw man that's brutal

J/K

Back when I was an E-5 in the Army, our old C.O.'s nickname was Major Pus Pocket. Actually true.

JDogg, went through a weird infection myself. Life threatening. Can relate. Glad to hear you're on the upswing, even if the downswing sucked. 

:(

Oh my goodness GB that's truly terrifying. Glad you are able to tell the story and did not become a cautionary tale.

You mentioned drink and smoke, do you have any info on what % of the population gets appendicitis and how drink/smoke exacerbates the likelihood of same?

We all need to live healthier, even those of who truly do, but it's all based upon an analysis of risk. I quit the smoke in 2011 after a panic attack which, at the time I thought might be a heart attack (never had either beforehand so how would I know?) but, in retrospect I don't regret the 20 years of pleasure I got from smoking (talking about Weed people). So any info you can provide is much appreciated.

Glad you're here to help us with your experience. Thanks GB.

Oh my goodness GB that's truly terrifying. Glad you are able to tell the story and did not become a cautionary tale.

You mentioned drink and smoke, do you have any info on what % of the population gets appendicitis and how drink/smoke exacerbates the likelihood of same?

We all need to live healthier, even those of who truly do, but it's all based upon an analysis of risk. I quit the smoke in 2011 after a panic attack which, at the time I thought might be a heart attack (never had either beforehand so how would I know?) but, in retrospect I don't regret the 20 years of pleasure I got from smoking (talking about Weed people). So any info you can provide is much appreciated.

Glad you're here to help us with your experience. Thanks GB.

I've been smoking dope for about 25 years and I'm ready to quit. In fact this is the last weekend. 

I quit smoking cigarettes 6 years ago cold turkey the day before my birthday. 

I used to sell boatloads of yak and had a pretty unhealthy habit during those years. 

The #### adds up. 

simey said:
Glad you are ok, jdoggy. My uncle was not so lucky. His appendix burst while playing golf. He had surgery and he too was gangrenous. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery, and gave him no antibiotics. He returned a few days later throwing up green stuff. They did test, gave him some fluids, and released him again with no antibiotics. My aunt found him dead the next morning on the bathroom floor. He died of sepsis from an infection from surgery. It was terrible. My aunt sued for negligence and they settled with her.
Very sorry for your loss.  I hope that she put a hurting on that docs malpractice insurance company.  Wow, the gross negligence you described is terrible.

J/K

:(    So sad. 

Bump. I have had a dull pain in my lower right abdomen for 3 weeks. Thought I pulled a muscle doing weighted pull ups but now I'm starting to get worried it's appendicitis. Going to the doctor today after I woke up feeling nauseated. Rip.

Bump. I have had a dull pain in my lower right abdomen for 3 weeks. Thought I pulled a muscle doing weighted pull ups but now I'm starting to get worried it's appendicitis. Going to the doctor today after I woke up feeling nauseated. Rip.
3 week appendicitis?

Hernia or kidney stone is my guess.

Not that anyone cares but blood test on white blood cells came back only slightly higher than normal which she said dosent show infection. She did an ultrasound and didn't find anything. She said to give it another week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Basically same thing happened to me! Days of pain ER visit, came back a second day they decided to admit me overnight. Next day running tests, they "blew up" my appendix and rushed me in for emergency surgery. I too woke up with an incision across my abdomen and 4 staples holding me closed. Had to stay in the hospital for a week as they monitored me to be sure I was going to be ok.

not fun

Not that anyone cares but blood test on white blood cells came back only slightly higher than normal which she said dosent show infection. She did an ultrasound and didn't find anything. She said to give it another week.
Hang in there man and get as much rest as you can. Good luck.

Sorry I missed this. Hope it works out ok.

Wow! Basically same thing happened to me! Days of pain ER visit, came back a second day they decided to admit me overnight. Next day running tests, they "blew up" my appendix and rushed me in for emergency surgery. I too woke up with an incision across my abdomen and 4 staples holding me closed. Had to stay in the hospital for a week as they monitored me to be sure I was going to be ok.

not fun
I'm thinking this very common condition gets misdiagnosed a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread