What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finally MLB (1 Viewer)

Megla

Footballguy
And FD now has a late swap option and a new SP score of quality start instead of all the scoring weight going to wins

I don't mind the scoring changes but iffy on late swap. I would love it in NBA where it would come into play almost daily. In MLB it'd come into play for games with weather concerns or players trying to make up ground in a gpp. Not going to judge them yet but thru Tuesday their non-swap SE offerings are pretty lame.

I have a 50/50 and gpp  lineup going today and 4 lineups for Monday so far  Ive been doing the countdown to opening day so basically get a free entry for every paid entry.

Only 2 hours until 1st pitch of the season!!

Basically you need a good score from your pitcher to have any shot at all so always start there. Next you want as many hitters in the 1-5 spots as you can get with at least 2 mini stacks. Then just hope and pray lol

I hate the late swap idea because it puts me at a disadvantage because I can't just sit there and watch the games. I would like it if they did a late swap for players that are out before the game starts or games that are postponed before they start. It really can't be that hard to implement.

msudaisy26 said:
I hate the late swap idea because it puts me at a disadvantage because I can't just sit there and watch the games. I would like it if they did a late swap for players that are out before the game starts or games that are postponed before they start. It really can't be that hard to implement.
That's pretty much what the late swap is, chance to pull players from later games who are not starting or who have been rained out

Raging weasel said:
Basically you need a good score from your pitcher to have any shot at all so always start there. Next you want as many hitters in the 1-5 spots as you can get with at least 2 mini stacks. Then just hope and pray lol
For S&Gs I jumped in a gpp that was only about 60% filled.  What point totals are we looking at for cashing in MLB in general?  (I am still on DK only)

Not sure, never played on DK. On FD yesterday with 3 game slate the cash line for my 2 50/50s was just over 100 and 131.4 in the $1 gpp. Up $2.20 after 1st day.

That's pretty much what the late swap is, chance to pull players from later games who are not starting or who have been rained out
I understand that is what it is for, but that isn't what it is used for most of the time.  I started my DFS playing on Draftkings, and a couple of different times I was burned by people making last minute swaps and knocking me off the cut line in double ups and one time knocking me down several tiers in a GPP. One guy had 7 of the same line up going into Monday night and changed a few of the lineups to help him win it. I can't compete with that. 

I understand that is what it is for, but that isn't what it is used for most of the time.  I started my DFS playing on Draftkings, and a couple of different times I was burned by people making last minute swaps and knocking me off the cut line in double ups and one time knocking me down several tiers in a GPP. One guy had 7 of the same line up going into Monday night and changed a few of the lineups to help him win it. I can't compete with that. 
I can only speak for myself and I consider it a huge upgrade, nothing is more frustration than 0s cause the last game on a slate gets rained out.

This is why I generally stick to single entry contests. Hoping as the season goes on that there is a better selection of single entry no swap games offered.

no idea what it is on DK but on FD most multi-entry contests have a 150 max on entries which is at least 50 too many imo.

I can only speak for myself and I consider it a huge upgrade, nothing is more frustration than 0s cause the last game on a slate gets rained out.
It's frustrating for sure, but everybody is playing with the same odds and chances at those 0s that happens.  Late swaps are geared toward the pros and people who hover by the computer all day.  This dfs stuff is frustrating enough, I don't need the odds stacked against me even more as a casual player who is more likely to set and forget a LU. 

Ok so far.  Looks like stacking that LA game was the call of the day - I had 4 guys in there from that game.  I am sitting right above the cash line with 3 guys left to play, including a SP.  Doesn't look like a ton of the entries have a lot of players/innings left, so hopefully I can hang on for a couple bucks.  I always seemed to get caught from behind with players in the last games in soccer and NBA

I am for sure going to try MLB, but I am going to wait until basketball and hockey is over. I have been scoring big on basketball for the last 7 - 10 days. Hockey I have been back and forth, but I don't know a single player lol.

Lost my 2 50/50s by total of 1.6.  Won $2 in a gpp maybe thanks to late swap. Pulled miggy and castellanos for Meyers and solarte. $5 in $2 out

Well, my late game guys didn't do ####, but looks like I will hang on enough to 2x my money so I won't ##### about that for a first try/throwing #### at the wall lineup.  Might have to find some sites and podcasts about MLB and see if I can do better than I usually do with non-NFL sports in dfs. 

If the last game on a slate gets rained out, who is left to put in?
LOL, if that the last game is Orange/Red weather wise then I just leave it alone, but if there is someone I love it's nice to be able to put them in the  LU and still wait till just before lock of the next to last game to see if the weather improves.

Had a good day, $13 in $22 out, the second KDavis HR cost me $6 has my LU scoring 145 just missed cashing.  Still a fun opening day

Stacking the Col/Mil game and Giants today for cash and Det,TB and LOS for gpp.
@Raging weasel

Newbie Qs here: 

Is this different from NFL in that it is wise to stack for cash? 

How do you choose who to stack from a game - is it salary for you, or do you go for guys who are back to back when the LUs get posted?

Was listening to a podcast this morning and they seemed to like the Col/Mil, and SF/Az games for stacks and TB/Houst for teams to look to stack. 

Obviously I'm not an expert but in cash I like to run mini stacks(2-3 players) of teams going against the worst SP of the slate. Also try to only use guys batting in the 1-5 range mostly to get that 1 extra plate appearance.

I always start my cash lineup with my pitcher and whatever high priced ( over 3.5k) players I'd like to have and work from there. Usually only my SP and 1 or 2 guys aren't part of a stack.

And for score needed to cash, yesterday my cash lineup hit 152.5 but needed 153+. I scored 163.2 in one gpp(10k players) to min cash.

Obviously I'm not an expert but in cash I like to run mini stacks(2-3 players) of teams going against the worst SP of the slate. Also try to only use guys batting in the 1-5 range mostly to get that 1 extra plate appearance.

I always start my cash lineup with my pitcher and whatever high priced ( over 3.5k) players I'd like to have and work from there. Usually only my SP and 1 or 2 guys aren't part of a stack.

And for score needed to cash, yesterday my cash lineup hit 152.5 but needed 153+. I scored 163.2 in one gpp(10k players) to min cash.
No surprise, but DK has different scoring.  Cash line for the one small gpp I was in was 119. 

Was just curious.  My cash LU I put together on the fly was pretty spread out over the games:

Arrieta and Shoemaker

Posey

Encarnacion

Forsythe

Longoria

Story

Beltran

Peralta

Trout. 

Did one gpp with a 4 player TB Stack and a 3 Player SF, but I will look at that more and maybe do another gpp when LUs are posted.  (I usually just throw out a few 25 cent gpps while I practice). 

No surprise, but DK has different scoring.  Cash line for the one small gpp I was in was 119. 

Was just curious.  My cash LU I put together on the fly was pretty spread out over the games:

Arrieta and Shoemaker

Posey

Encarnacion

Forsythe

Longoria

Story

Beltran

Peralta

Trout. 

Did one gpp with a 4 player TB Stack and a 3 Player SF, but I will look at that more and maybe do another gpp when LUs are posted.  (I usually just throw out a few 25 cent gpps while I practice). 
Looks solid. I'm using all these guys but Trout,EE,Peralta and Arrietta. Using guys against the Padres is going to be a good cash strategy all season.

Good luck!!

Strictly GPP for MLP early in the year, while predicting the SP is easier and the salaries are a bit soft right now it's just too damn hard to predict safe/cash position players this early.

For today, Main slate

Looking at SP Cueto and Maeda-( I think you are going to find that 75% of the time you want to start the SP facing the SDP and you want to start a few of the positional players facing SDP pitching

With Maeda I will stack a few LOD righthanded batters with a few SFG right handed batters and the rest either from TX. Clev or Colo (I will always want a batter or two facing Zack Davies)

With Cueto I will will play Bosey and then stack the Clev/Tex game

Freerolled the past two days and haven't come close to cashing.  Of course Tanaka was a horrible pick on Sunday.  Trying again today.  I built a Maeda, Cle/Tex stack this morning, with Arenado, Cruz and Krush.  

I expect Guyer to play tonight also, so I guess I have to keep an eye on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some of the countdown to opening day challenges and so have 4 entries in the freeroll tonight.

Off to a good start in early cash, 94+ from my 4 Tigers. 3 Dodger's and 2 Rays to play.

I did some of the countdown to opening day challenges and so have 4 entries in the freeroll tonight.

Off to a good start in early cash, 94+ from my 4 Tigers. 3 Dodger's and 2 Rays to play.
Rays, Twins and Brewers hot early this year

Det/Clev/Tex look to be strong Off as well

Early slate today got 3 GPPs going, a $3 and 2 $1

$3                  $1                  $1

P           Lackey            Hammell           RDavis

C          VMartinez        VMartinez      VMartinez      

1st         Votto                Rizzo             AGonzo            

2nd        Villar               Peraza           Dozier

3rd    Moustak            Frazier             Arenado

SS     Saladino           Story               Story

OF   Blackman         Hamilton           Blackman

OF  CGonzo            Schwarber         SChwarber

OF Schwarber         Duval                  Hamilton

Well, after learning a lesson today, I am back to even from when I started in MLB.  I most have seen most of the starting LUs, but didn't catch that Grandal wasn't playing today.  I think I had him in over 50% of my LUs, and more of my cash ones.  I will be more diligent about checking the batting orders in the future. 

One plus of MLB  DFS is you can still cash even with a zero from a player or 2 if the rest come thru.

I entered 4 50/50s but only 1 filled so probably have a great lineup LOL

One plus of MLB  DFS is you can still cash even with a zero from a player or 2 if the rest come thru.

I entered 4 50/50s but only 1 filled so probably have a great lineup LOL
Good to know.  Almost happened today again, but I was on the LUs. 

Had a little more success last night.  Threw in a cheap 2x and missed by a point.  While I didn't win, at least I am encouraged that I am close (unlike NBA and NHL).

Found a site, started doing more research and understanding the #s I should look at more, and it looks like my cash LU for the early games is doing well.  Have a little going tonight too.  Not doing much - just $2-$3.  Basically a cash entry or two and 3-4 of the $.25 gpps on DK as I learn. 

I haven't played any MLB yet this year, but had some mild success last year playing all day slates and stacking early games where you know the late scratches and play the weather, so I'm disappointed that they are changing that. I also try to find cheap guys that are batting 1-2, that extra at bat can really mean a lot. If you have 4-5 extra at bats in your lineup that can really make a difference.

:lol:

Just can't seem to hit them both.  Either have a stack that does zip and the bats around it have a good night, or vise versa.  I had a few cheap Philly stacks and paired them with "studs" like Seager, Harper, etc..  Oh well, keep on trying! 

Actually forgot I had LUs on FD tonight, and didn't do too bad over there.  Basically broke even for the night as FD offset my loses on DK.  Got 160 in a gpp with 2 0s in that lineup, and my cash LU got to 135 with 3 0s.  Just thankful I got out of that mess. 

:lol:

Just can't seem to hit them both.  Either have a stack that does zip and the bats around it have a good night, or vise versa.  I had a few cheap Philly stacks and paired them with "studs" like Seager, Harper, etc..  Oh well, keep on trying! 
first losing night last night. went with darvish and giants,indians,cubs. Been rolling with belt,posey and nunez allseason so far and first time they let me down.

Didn't see cheap P options, so went with a couple cheaper team stacks that popped out for gpp options today- Boston, Toronto, StL.

Any tips on narrowing down what nights to use which studs? 

Seems like every night I am seeing 1-2 0s in my LUs.  I get it when I am taking a flier on a guy in a stack on the cheap, but it seems like I am consistently missing on the high$ guys when I play them.  Over the last week I have gotten games of 0-3pts from guys like Trout, Harper, Murphy, any Col guy I've tried, on an on.  Just curious if I am just having bad luck or if there is some stat I am not factoring in.  Still breaking even to slightly taking a loss.  Having fun learning this, but it just seemed weird that I am missing on these guys. 

Any tips on narrowing down what nights to use which studs? 

Seems like every night I am seeing 1-2 0s in my LUs.  I get it when I am taking a flier on a guy in a stack on the cheap, but it seems like I am consistently missing on the high$ guys when I play them.  Over the last week I have gotten games of 0-3pts from guys like Trout, Harper, Murphy, any Col guy I've tried, on an on.  Just curious if I am just having bad luck or if there is some stat I am not factoring in.  Still breaking even to slightly taking a loss.  Having fun learning this, but it just seemed weird that I am missing on these guys. 
Its the nature of baseball, it's early and good pitching will always be ahead of good hitting early.

Stick to the basics for now, start with a good SP, look for SP who have a high SO to walk ratio playing a team with a high SO rate, for hitters try to get righties on lefties and vice versa, use as many #1 or #2 hitters as you can, play games where the wind is blowing out and use players facing lower tier pitchers.  As we get into May and June the stud hitters will start to emerge and be a little more predictable.

Looks like FD might have mispriced Glasnow at 4.4K.  Favored tonight at a pitcher's park.  You can stack damn near anybody you want if you use him.  I am sure everybody else did, but I used him + 4Colrado and 3 SD players for a stack.   Also had a Cubs stack, but not sure if that game is going to play. 

So... I am willing to offer a service for a fee.  I will play a cash lineup and tell you who I entered.  You can send me a couple bucks for that info so you know who not to play.  ;)   I have a cash LU on the early slate that is rockin' 5 0s.  :lol:

Happens to the best of us. I stacked TB, Oak and Ariz bats with Verlander in an early tourney and scored 65- only 3 players scored for me. Made up for it tho going 3/3 in main slate 50/50s.

Happens to the best of us. I stacked TB, Oak and Ariz bats with Verlander in an early tourney and scored 65- only 3 players scored for me. Made up for it tho going 3/3 in main slate 50/50s.
Yeah, I had guys that others did and a lot were 40% owned, so it dragged everybody down.  Even with 5 0s I had 75pts and missed the cut by a couple points. 

Was just coming to post that I had a better night.  2x on DK and made a few bucks on FD.  Of course my best gpp LUs avoided the highly owned Colorado bats.  I had a stack with SD and Wash that was my best LU, and my other that made money was a mishmash of players but had Bruce and Drew (and not Glasnow). 

Interested in joining me for sweat

Sitting at 185 in the 100K MLB Squeeze, currently in 19th place with 21innings left

Between the two sites it was about a wash last night.  Karma came back at me on FD, and I think I missed the cash LU cuts by less than a point.  Seems like I am a tad better at gpps than cash for whatever reason (at least I am a little ahead).   Just seems like there are always 3-4 guys from a team that stick out, so I jam them in and usually 2 stacks in a LU.  I try to look at teams that are 3rd or 4th on the vegas totals or ones that I look at and say "huh".  I have 0 luck with any Toronto or Colorado guys when I play them and am starting to develop a solid hatred for them. 

Cash I am still working on my methods.  I think I am close, but need some tweaks.  Not sure if I am trying too hard to spread out teams, not looking at quite the right stats, etc..  Here is what I came up with for tonight:

Bumg/Realmuto/Mancini/Walker/Flores/Semien/Cespedes/K.Davis/Dickerson

That gives me 3 Mets guys and 2 Oak guys.  Is this something you guys do, or do you try to keep it at a 2/team max for cash or something?  These were just the players that were highest on my stats and fit in a LU.  Put it in for a placeholder, but will look at stuff at lunch. 

Users who are viewing this thread