What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finally MLB (1 Viewer)

Damn, nice!  Have a little Balt stack?
Balt/Bost stack with Giancarlo and Stroman, peaked at 195, got as high as 8th, good for $500, shortly after I posted the notice and then stalled and the late games caught up to me, finished 151 only good for $20 but it made for a fun night

Between the two sites it was about a wash last night.  Karma came back at me on FD, and I think I missed the cash LU cuts by less than a point.  Seems like I am a tad better at gpps than cash for whatever reason (at least I am a little ahead).   Just seems like there are always 3-4 guys from a team that stick out, so I jam them in and usually 2 stacks in a LU.  I try to look at teams that are 3rd or 4th on the vegas totals or ones that I look at and say "huh".  I have 0 luck with any Toronto or Colorado guys when I play them and am starting to develop a solid hatred for them. 

Cash I am still working on my methods.  I think I am close, but need some tweaks.  Not sure if I am trying too hard to spread out teams, not looking at quite the right stats, etc..  Here is what I came up with for tonight:

Bumg/Realmuto/Mancini/Walker/Flores/Semien/Cespedes/K.Davis/Dickerson

That gives me 3 Mets guys and 2 Oak guys.  Is this something you guys do, or do you try to keep it at a 2/team max for cash or something?  These were just the players that were highest on my stats and fit in a LU.  Put it in for a placeholder, but will look at stuff at lunch. 
As I said earlier, this early in the year I'm staying away from cash LUs, there is still just too much unknown in regards to what hitters are going to be good cash (high floor) players and with the new scoring for SP that position is not as critical now for cash.

Just curious as to why you are thinking of stacking NYM and OAK players?

Just looking at the games/SP Iean more towards to Cincy/Mill and TB/NYY and I like certain MIA, TOR and KC batters (mostly top of the LU that bat opposite of the SP)

Of the 6 main slate games there are 4 games with higher point totals than the NYM/MIA game

Also if this is for GPP I would look elsewhere for a SP, need to be somewhat contrarian to cash, Vargas, Liriano and Chen are options I'm looking at

Pitching is bad for the main slate. I'm going bum in cash and gsellman/gausman in gpp.

For bats I'm looking at mil/cin and Balt.

Early Slate GPP LUs

Ryu                Zimmerman

Lucroy           VMartinez

Miggy           Miggy

Pedroia         Forsythe

Castellono    Castellano

Bogurts         Mercer

Betts             Betts

Marte           Marte

Benint           McCuthen

As I said earlier, this early in the year I'm staying away from cash LUs, there is still just too much unknown in regards to what hitters are going to be good cash (high floor) players and with the new scoring for SP that position is not as critical now for cash.

Just curious as to why you are thinking of stacking NYM and OAK players?

Just looking at the games/SP Iean more towards to Cincy/Mill and TB/NYY and I like certain MIA, TOR and KC batters (mostly top of the LU that bat opposite of the SP)

Of the 6 main slate games there are 4 games with higher point totals than the NYM/MIA game

Also if this is for GPP I would look elsewhere for a SP, need to be somewhat contrarian to cash, Vargas, Liriano and Chen are options I'm looking at
@Megla -

Keep in mind that I have only been doing this for 10 days....

I read an article about MLB dfs and it said that wOBA is a great stat to look at for cash.  I found a site that factors in the park in that stat, and a separate one where they factor in the pitcher's wOBA allowed vs handedness of battter.  So I have been looking at those and writing down the top 4-5  at each position.  Then I do look at power and anybody that has decent power vs. handedness of the pitcher moves up.  For tie breakers I factor in if they are away (to guarantee the 9th inning bat), batting order, and projected run totals for the team. Then I see who I can jam in with the salaries.  When I did this today, Mets, Balt, and Oakland batters were all over the lists.  :shrug:  

Gpp I have been looking more for the power upside and do a similar list for that and see if there are 3+ guys from a team that show up.  If I scratch my head as to why, that is usually what I look for in gpps.  Also I have been looking at Pitcher splits and stuff like HR/9 innings, WHIP for handedness of batters, HR/FB rate, etc... to see if there is a team that shows up on multiples of these, again, especially if I think it looks odd.  As people have said, Milwaukee and Cincy show up here, but that is probably popular.  One that showed up that made me think gpp was TB with a lean to the righties and same with Oak RHBs.  Also KC LHBs. 

I get what you are saying about Bumg for gpp.  I have been surprised how much lower the stud is owned in gpp b/c I assume people go cheaper to fit the huge bats in.  I will use that stud to pair with a cheap stack - ie Oak players that average about 3k each. 

Everytime I have tried the "can't miss" games of the night for stacks I have whiffed - ie Col/Milwaukee last week, Coors field, Toronto last night.  I have had more success with a cheap Philly, Balt, or Met stack so far.  As you said, that might even out as the bats warm up on the season. 

Just looked at Vegas lines again, and it seemed like that Oak/KC game moved up again.  KC has the most projected runs for the night and Oak 4th. 

@Megla -

Keep in mind that I have only been doing this for 10 days....

I read an article about MLB dfs and it said that wOBA is a great stat to look at for cash.  I found a site that factors in the park in that stat, and a separate one where they factor in the pitcher's wOBA allowed vs handedness of battter.  So I have been looking at those and writing down the top 4-5  at each position.  Then I do look at power and anybody that has decent power vs. handedness of the pitcher moves up.  For tie breakers I factor in if they are away (to guarantee the 9th inning bat), batting order, and projected run totals for the team. Then I see who I can jam in with the salaries.  When I did this today, Mets, Balt, and Oakland batters were all over the lists.  :shrug:  

Gpp I have been looking more for the power upside and do a similar list for that and see if there are 3+ guys from a team that show up.  If I scratch my head as to why, that is usually what I look for in gpps.  Also I have been looking at Pitcher splits and stuff like HR/9 innings, WHIP for handedness of batters, HR/FB rate, etc... to see if there is a team that shows up on multiples of these, again, especially if I think it looks odd.  As people have said, Milwaukee and Cincy show up here, but that is probably popular.  One that showed up that made me think gpp was TB with a lean to the righties and same with Oak RHBs.  Also KC LHBs. 

I get what you are saying about Bumg for gpp.  I have been surprised how much lower the stud is owned in gpp b/c I assume people go cheaper to fit the huge bats in.  I will use that stud to pair with a cheap stack - ie Oak players that average about 3k each. 

Everytime I have tried the "can't miss" games of the night for stacks I have whiffed - ie Col/Milwaukee last week, Coors field, Toronto last night.  I have had more success with a cheap Philly, Balt, or Met stack so far.  As you said, that might even out as the bats warm up on the season. 
Sounds like you are using Daily Fantasy Nerd,

My early slate gpp is a disaster. Zimmerman pounded, red Sox and tiger bats silent other than miggy finally doing something. 

Don't really like today's slate so just doing a $1 gpp tonight.

Good luck all

My early slate gpp is a disaster. Zimmerman pounded, red Sox and tiger bats silent other than miggy finally doing something. 

Don't really like today's slate so just doing a $1 gpp tonight.

Good luck all
Good luck.  I tried 3 $1 gpps.  I did  Oak/Milw, Cin/Tor, and KC/Mia lineups. 

On DK I have been having some luck with $.25 contests (250 people or so), so I threw 6 combos over there as well. 

I see, it will be a few more weeks before I even try to start playing cash LUs so I can't really speak to them for now.
Fair enough.  I don't play $ enough to pay for info and LU generators, so they seemed to have quite a bit of info for free. 

Between the two sites it was about a wash last night.  Karma came back at me on FD, and I think I missed the cash LU cuts by less than a point.  Seems like I am a tad better at gpps than cash for whatever reason (at least I am a little ahead).   Just seems like there are always 3-4 guys from a team that stick out, so I jam them in and usually 2 stacks in a LU.  I try to look at teams that are 3rd or 4th on the vegas totals or ones that I look at and say "huh".  I have 0 luck with any Toronto or Colorado guys when I play them and am starting to develop a solid hatred for them. 

Cash I am still working on my methods.  I think I am close, but need some tweaks.  Not sure if I am trying too hard to spread out teams, not looking at quite the right stats, etc..  Here is what I came up with for tonight:

Bumg/Realmuto/Mancini/Walker/Flores/Semien/Cespedes/K.Davis/Dickerson

That gives me 3 Mets guys and 2 Oak guys.  Is this something you guys do, or do you try to keep it at a 2/team max for cash or something?  These were just the players that were highest on my stats and fit in a LU.  Put it in for a placeholder, but will look at stuff at lunch. 
Mets are looking like AA very good call

HUH.  By far my worst night since doing this so far (unless a couple players/games light up in their last couple innings).  Not even sniffing a cash line on any of my LUs.  That takes talent to go 0 for 12 on a night and miss damn near any combo that scored well.  We are talking scores in the 40s and 50s here.  Still have a bit of Bum to go, but I am sure that's not going to help much at what I assume his ownership % will be. 

KarmaPolice said:
Nice!.  So do you use a site, or do you just know which players/matchups to look for?
I use Daily Fantasy Nerd.

Typically I use their spreadsheets to select potential SP for the slates, then use it to look at a lot of the same things you listed to create a pool of players at each position.  Then I target high total games to see if some of those players are in my pool.  I typically create 2 or 3 of my LUs per slate this way and I use the site's top optimized LU as well.

This allows me to track their success up against mine.  Right now I feel the tools DFN provides me outside of the LU optimizer are worth the cost but comparing LU successes will give me a better look at þe overall value of the site.

They also have the same tools for the NBA so I put their #1 LU in small dollar GPPs as well to see how they fair.

This is my first try with this pay site and I have only been using it for a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dont think playing cash this early is profitable
To be fair, neither have been profitable for me.  If I had more to spend, I would think about a pay site, but can't justify the $40-50/month or whatever some of these sites are.  I was surprised I found a site that had some of this stuff for free, so I thought I'd see what I could do. 

Nothing else, it's making baseball interesting to me.  I am sitting here watching updates on that Mets/Marlins game to see if it will get back to Flores/Walker.

To be fair, neither have been profitable for me.  If I had more to spend, I would think about a pay site, but can't justify the $40-50/month or whatever some of these sites are.  I was surprised I found a site that had some of this stuff for free, so I thought I'd see what I could do. 

Nothing else, it's making baseball interesting to me.  I am sitting here watching updates on that Mets/Marlins game to see if it will get back to Flores/Walker.
Understandable, DFN offers a $25 a month package that also includes a 7 day free trial.  With it you get access to all of their spreadsheets/tools and 10 optimized LUs per slate for the 4 major sports

My results seem to disprove that. I'm 8/26 in gpp (and down .50) and 13/18 in 50/50s ( up 10.80). yes its a small sample size but isn't it always easier to play cash vs gpp?
Risk vs reward, I feel early in the season I have just as good a chance to cash in a GPP as I do cash so I opt for the possibility of the bigger pay day. 

I agree that cash is more predictable when the players are a bit more predictable, but right now I just don't have a grasp on what batters are "cash"

Another slate I'm not really excited about. Thinking gpp only again and playing the Tor bats to break out vs a soft tossing lefty and starting Bauer vs my Tigers while their bats are cold-especially if Miggy sits tonight. Freeman and the other Braves have a good matchup too.

Thanks.  So basically you are just saying I suck?? ;)
Not at all-maybe I'm just getting lucky. It sounds like you put a lot more time and thought into your research than I do. I mostly just try to find some mini stacks(2-3guys) facing pitchers I'm pretty sure are terrible. I pick my SP and my must play stud or 2 and work from there. After doing this last night I tossed in Hicks from the Yanks because he was the only guy I could afford and was batting 2nd and he hit 2 HRs for me.

Not at all-maybe I'm just getting lucky. It sounds like you put a lot more time and thought into your research than I do. I mostly just try to find some mini stacks(2-3guys) facing pitchers I'm pretty sure are terrible. I pick my SP and my must play stud or 2 and work from there. After doing this last night I tossed in Hicks from the Yanks because he was the only guy I could afford and was batting 2nd and he hit 2 HRs for me.
Giving you ####.  I do overthink things to a fault.  The guy I switched out last night b/c I had too many Mets? Cespedes. :wall:    That was my losing night on FD right there.  

I think i just got burned with the "can't miss" guys so much, I started going a little too much the other way.  Will try a little again tonight. 

Early Slate GPP LUs ($4)

Strasb                    Strasb                         

Wieters                 Wieters

Rizzo                     TJoseph

Zobrist                   Murphy

Rendon                Franco

ARussell              ARussell

Werth                   Harper

Schwarb                Schwarb

Polanco               Kendrick

Early Slate GPP LUs ($4)

Strasb                    Strasb                         

Wieters                 Wieters

Rizzo                     TJoseph

Zobrist                   Murphy

Rendon                Franco

ARussell              ARussell

Werth                   Harper

Schwarb                Schwarb

Polanco               Kendrick
Maybe you should be posting your LUs before the locks for me. ;)

Maybe you should be posting your LUs before the locks for me. ;)
don't really like this slate so no cash games but this is where I'm at for $1 gpps for now.

bauer                  thor

lucroy                  darnaud

freeman               morles

odor                     travis

suarez                nunez

swanson            barney

markakis             pence

duvall                     bruce

mazara                cruz

may change when the lineups come out.

don't really like this slate so no cash games but this is where I'm at for $1 gpps for now.

I haven't even looked at main slate yet, just letting my placeholder LUs sit there until about 1 hour before game time so I don't have pre-conceived thoughts on players prior to creating my LUs

1st gpp was a disaster scoring 59.8. I completely redid the 2nd (thor,vmart,crushdavis,miller,nunez,seager,haniger,dickerson,cruz) and put up 173.3 to cash for $3. Still resulted in my 2nd losing day this season- I knew I didn't like that slate.

1st gpp was a disaster scoring 59.8. I completely redid the 2nd (thor,vmart,crushdavis,miller,nunez,seager,haniger,dickerson,cruz) and put up 173.3 to cash for $3. Still resulted in my 2nd losing day this season- I knew I didn't like that slate.
You said that a couple times - what was it that you saw that you didn't like??

Did a bit better last night.  Won a couple bucks on FD and about $7 on DK.  Mostly b/c of the cash LUs on FD. 

Best LU on DK got 3rd in my 250 contest so my 25cents turned to $3.50.  That was my MIlw stack with Archer and Kershaw. 

Best LU for gpp on FD had about 110pts with the first 4 players (Thor/Villar/Thames/Moust), but then #### the bed after that.  Still cashed at 158 pts, but had 3 0s and Cruz/Andrus. 

Thanks again @Megla for the link to that site.  I watched the video last night and understand the generator more and hopefully that will help.  Makes the time spent on this a lot less.  I can think of some stacks/players I like, and plug them in quick.  Also love that you can tell it a range of batting order to take, max # of guys on a team, etc..  That should really help with cash games. 

Today I just put in a quick $2 cash LU in using 1. Batting Order 1-5, 2. Taking out the 4 lowest projected scoring teams, and 3. No more than 2 bats/team. 

You said that a couple times - what was it that you saw that you didn't like??
Even with Kershaw on the slate I really didn't like the SP choices for the pricing. Also the teams I like to stack had bad matchups or pricing and positions just didn't work out. I just didn't feel good or confident in the lineups I was putting together.

On the early slate I really like the Nats and Cubs bats. SP is either too $$ or shaky so I'm going to take a chance there and load up on bats and hope they come thru. really slim pickings for tourneys on FD today so had to spend up and go multi-entry.

gpp-$3

estrada

lobaton

smoak

murphy

bryant

russell

harper

braun

schwarber

For whatever reason that site really liked Finnegan.  Used him with Sale for a gpp, but it looks like he already has about -5pts in the first inning..

Anyway, I was surprised at how much their suggested LU changed after the batting orders were finalized.  They did say to check back before lock to see what changed. 5 Players were different.  And it ended up with:

McCullers/Sale (I locked those two in)

Giminez/Rizzo/Frazier/Freese/Difo/Schwarber/Smith/Springer

Users who are viewing this thread