What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

S-Town from the producers of Serial and This American Life (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
Not sure if there is an ***official*** one but we need one

this show is fantastic, John is a nut 

I'm about halfway through and it is very interesting but does totally change subjects. Looking forward to see if there's any actual endings on the findings. Here is some photos of the maze which is very awesome.

S Town Maze

i'm three episodes in.. this thing has been a total roller coaster.

Since it's released in its entirety, let's leave commentary in a "Hidden" box with the episode number above it..

t

Any way to tell us what it's about without any spoilers?
Hard to do without spoilers, maybe others will have better luck:  It starts off with the narrator investigating a tip sent to him that the police in his small town in Alabama was covering up a murder.  But the podcast quickly becomes more about the person who contacted the narrator with the tip, who is kind of an eccentric fellow.

The payoff was a bit weak based on where I thought it was going. But I still enjoyed it. I have never heard of either of the other things so I can't comment on if its similar or not. 

So I'm almost done with episode 6 and I think its been terrific.

But I am having second thoughts about listening to it. It makes me feel a little dirty to enjoy it so much. Should we be looking this deep into this man's life? Is it a tribute? Or are we just voyeurs?

Its strange.

I find it interesting, but I am not sure I would put my rep on the line recommending others to listen to it.

I think people will either love it or hate it and I cant really decide what type of person for each of those...

So I'm almost done with episode 6 and I think its been terrific.

But I am having second thoughts about listening to it. It makes me feel a little dirty to enjoy it so much. Should we be looking this deep into this man's life? Is it a tribute? Or are we just voyeurs?

Its strange.
John contacted them and put his life out there for the host to see. I'm fine with it. 

I'm also only through 5 episodes, so who knows. 

Last edited by a moderator:
John contacted them and put his life out there for the host to see. I'm fine with it. 

I'm also only through 5 episodes, so who knows. 
There is one later episode that will make you lean more towards what whoknew is saying. It is one of the most interesting, but also one that is so personal you kind of feel like you're violating this man's privacy.

Really liked it, agree they maybe went places John B didn't consent for him to go in the last couple episodes. It's hard to know to what extent he realized the podcast would be so much more focussed on his life and not the town.

So (I've listened to the whole thing, before you read this)

Does Tyler have the gold? When they talk about it in the last or second last episode, Brian says maybe Tyler shouldn't tell him if he ever does find it. Tyler says "Yeah I know, that's what I'm scared of now", then asks Brian to turn off the tape recorder and they have a long off the record discussion.

I listened to the last episode and didn't know it was over.  There really is no wrap up or ending.  Very interesting look into someone's life and how different and varied the journey can be.  John B was a very smart and talented man and of course crazy.

Really liked it, agree they maybe went places John B didn't consent for him to go in the last couple episodes. It's hard to know to what extent he realized the podcast would be so much more focussed on his life and not the town.

So (I've listened to the whole thing, before you read this)

Does Tyler have the gold? When they talk about it in the last or second last episode, Brian says maybe Tyler shouldn't tell him if he ever does find it. Tyler says "Yeah I know, that's what I'm scared of now", then asks Brian to turn off the tape recorder and they have a long off the record discussion.

I felt like the host did everything but straight-out tell us that Tyler has the gold.

I thought it was going good and then crashed and burned. 

I imagine the risk of doing shows like this over a period of 1-3 years is pretty high.  Not only that crazy things can happen, but also that nothing can happen.  

bigbottom said:
It was simultaneously interesting and depressing.

And the mercury poisoning theory seems spot on.
Exactly this for me.  I binge-listened the past few days and finished it this morning.  I think it was phenomenal - something I want to be able to recommend broadly, but is so depressing I don't think I can.  I was devastated by the time the last episode ended.

And as to your spoiler, no doubt in my mind that it was correct.

ETA:  neat formatting.

I thought it was going good and then crashed and burned. 

I imagine the risk of doing shows like this over a period of 1-3 years is pretty high.  Not only that crazy things can happen, but also that nothing can happen.  
I totally agree. It started out great then felt like they needed to fill some episodes and it got mundane and a bit boring.

I totally agree. It started out great then felt like they needed to fill some episodes and it got mundane and a bit boring.
My issue with this and Serial was that both captivated me with the first episode, and kept me hooked through the end but in both cases it felt a like a let down.  There just isn't the payoff guy expect from the neatly packaged 22 minute sitcom world and 2 hour movie works we live in 

It's really good. It's how I expect every person in Alabama to sound. Roll tide. 
Yeah, we're a bunch of hicks here in the rocket city.  

Eta: we are just 100 miles from the maze.  Might be worth checking out  (after listening to the podcast)

The "based on a true story" movie of this with Zach Galifinakis in a rare dramatic role will be really good, with a nice neat Hollywood ending.

The New York Times (@nytimes)

6/17/17, 3:13 PM

Tyler Goodson of the popular podcast “S-Town” was arrested on charges that he fatally shot his brother’s dog nyti.ms/2rpplpL

Users who are viewing this thread