What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bluetooth speaker recs? (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
On my search the last detailed thread on this was 2 yrs ago so I figure there should be a new waive of heavy duty bluetooth speakers out there....

looking for best sound, connectivity, battery, ease of use and loudness - not that it matter but have an iphone i stream from.  Like to play classic rock most of time...

portability is a factor but looking for something I can use for outdoor tailgates/parties and most of the older portable speakers just can get loud enough - want something with some pop!  ok with it being a bit larger if sound/volume is worth it

Willing to spend up to $250 if its worth it but would rather stay closer to $100 if all is equal....

any recs?  thx!  

I have a "Boom" series speaker from Ultimate Ears and I love it.  Great sound quality, loud and powerful for its size, great portability, and waterproof. Highly recommend it. 

The Bose Mini still pumps out good stuff. They brought out a new color but not sure if they upgraded it or not but it's still good. 

I am a huge proponent of the whole "you need to give them a listen for yourself" angle.  I have been a fan of JBL products for years in both home and car applications and I couldn't believe how crappy their bluetooth speaker sounded when I went to go buy one.

Ended up listening to a similarly-priced ($100ish) Sony product that rocked my socks off.

It'll depend on your ear, though.  Go somewhere like Best Buy where you can demo a dozen or so and see what sounds best.

This Bose speaker is the size of a healthy ham sandwich but creates a lot of sound.  So it's very portable, about $100, water resistant and sounds great. Battery life is quite good.  Highly recommend.

This Bose speaker is the size of a healthy ham sandwich but creates a lot of sound.  So it's very portable, about $100, water resistant and sounds great. Battery life is quite good.  Highly recommend.
And, as I was typing up this review, actually listening to a Spotify mix through this speaker, my dog knocked it off the couch back, onto a hardwood floor.  Still sounds great.  So it's durable too.

I have two UE Mini Boom and I'm a big fan. I can connect them together for stereo streaming. Very portable and easy to use.i travel with them often and have no complaints.

Great stuff in here - thx a bunch - went with the UE mega boom...at $300 it was little more than I wanted to pay but in looking at the options the extra $ seems to give that extra battery life and sound boost i wanted for all day outdoor events....I'll post a review on it later this week.  

This one is really good-Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 3.  You can get it much cheaper than the official list price but it still may be out of your comfort zone.  I have one and it has the best bass of any I've tried.  It is a single speaker so you need to synch two for stereo.

I have the JBL Charge 3 and love it, and I can charge my phone with it while I'm streaming Spotify from the phone to the JBL. I also tried the UE Boom 2 and would have gotten that one if I didn't go with the Charge 3.

I love my Bose Soundlink Mini. Incredibly durable, surprisingly loud for it's size. Great battery life and sound clarity. I use it ALL the time... 

UE Boom... 2, I think.  I've heard you can combine multiple speakers from them, but I haven't gotten another yet, but soon.  I love mine anyway, and I'm looking to get a bigger one next time.

I have been using the regular Bose SoundLink for 3-4 years now, and it has been great.  It has been sufficient for parties, and it is extremely portable, so we have taken it to beach, tailgates, etc.

I recently got a Vizio sound bar outside, where I listen to music most, so I haven't been using it as much.  I would recommend soundbars as an option for those not needing to be mobile.  I actually want to upgrade and get the one with a woofer, and satellite speakers. 

If your not concerned about the size, those ion ones have better base than any of the smaller portables.

I've listened to small, medium and big ones.  While many small ones 'sound good for their size', I always prefer the bigger ones.  Onyx Studio is one of the best I've heard for providing great sound, incl. good bass while still being 'portable'

Thinking back to the #### we had to listen to when we were young, makes me kind of sad.

Cassette tape through a boom box was no bueno.

Any good recommendations for outdoor speakers?
I chose the UE mega boom based on the good reviews of outside performance/prolonged battery life yet still very portable - ill let you know how it sounds later this week  

Last edited by a moderator:
so far very happy with the mega boom - nice size...definitely bigger than most portable but still easy to tote around - its like a small thermos....the extra size pays off in much louder sound so far along with great battery life.  I downloaded the app which has allows control as well as an equalizer to calibrate.  Im bringing to the beach this weekend to stretch its legs so will update on that but so far very happy with the purchase!  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZV6TYQ/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_2_w

Oontz Angle 3 Plus by Cambridge Soundworks.

IPX5 water resistant and 4400 mAh battery for 30 hours playback at two-thirds volume. 10+ watts of clear sound. Decent bass without being muddy. Great Bluetooth range.

$35 on Amazon. 
I just can't bring myself to spend $150 on a Bluetooth speaker.  Going with this. 
Holy crap this thing is awesome, good recommendation sir.  :bowtie:

House of Marley's Getogether Mini (which is not mini, though portable) has been awese for me. Solid but good sound, decent range of tonality, natural sound not too bright at all.

HIGHLY recommended. I think the msrp is 150 but you can get for about 110. 

That $35 one looks pretty nice. I've been happy with the $19.99 Amazon Basics speaker which works well and is plenty loud enough for in home use and some light duty outdoor use.

The first one I got was a $50 job from Sam's (Tough Tested brand). It's nice, but it doesn't seem like there's much need to spend $50 on a bluetooth speaker to use indoors.

The OA3 sounds ok with Spotify. For whatever reason YouTube sounds even better (richer?). I tried to play with eq on Spotify. Get a little better sound at expense of volume. Netflix seems ok though wouldn't mind being able to make a little louder.

For $35 though, a nice little unit.

Hmm... actually I played the same song on Spotify and YouTube and they sounded pretty close.

This one is really good-Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 3.  You can get it much cheaper than the official list price but it still may be out of your comfort zone.  I have one and it has the best bass of any I've tried.  It is a single speaker so you need to synch two for stereo.
Just got it for $60 from Amazon. It sounds really good- especially the low end as you said. I would also recommend.

The OA3 sounds ok with Spotify. For whatever reason YouTube sounds even better (richer?). I tried to play with eq on Spotify. Get a little better sound at expense of volume. Netflix seems ok though wouldn't mind being able to make a little louder.

For $35 though, a nice little unit.

Hmm... actually I played the same song on Spotify and YouTube and they sounded pretty close.
Do you have Spotify set to the highest sound quality level?

I have two UE Mini Boom and I'm a big fan. I can connect them together for stereo streaming. Very portable and easy to use.i travel with them often and have no complaints.
One caveat to the Mini Boom is they really only work well with mobile devices.  I can connect one to my computer via Bluetooth but even though the manufacturer website says you can pair two (pair one to the device then the second one pairs to the first for stereo) without the app it simply isn't working for me.

So that is kind of a downside.

Do you know if you can pair two on a computer or only through an app on a mobile device?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZV6TYQ/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_2_w

Oontz Angle 3 Plus by Cambridge Soundworks.

IPX5 water resistant and 4400 mAh battery for 30 hours playback at two-thirds volume. 10+ watts of clear sound. Decent bass without being muddy. Great Bluetooth range.

$35 on Amazon. 
Still $35, which is great.  According to camelcamelcamel it has been $35 (third party new) since Jan so I don't think there is a huge rush to buy but, still at that price it's worth the experiment.

Just got it for $60 from Amazon. It sounds really good- especially the low end as you said. I would also recommend.
The link is to the full size Onyx Studio 3...you bought the Mini...the S3 is about $130 on Amazon...the mini is still $64...as good as the mini sounds, I bet the S3 sounds pretty killer.

Just picked up 2 UE BOOM 2 speakers on special from verizon for $250

Sound great paired together.
If you can afford these (and of course you can, you are a FBG) the UE Boom series are fantastic. They often go on sale so I wouldn't purchase them at full price unless you have Chet $$

Still $35, which is great.  According to camelcamelcamel it has been $35 (third party new) since Jan so I don't think there is a huge rush to buy but, still at that price it's worth the experiment.
I bought one after my old Jambox died.  I don’t use it often, but when I do, it sounds pretty good.  A solid speaker for the price.

Got a jawbone jambox mini 7 years ago now, still going strong and use it almost daily.  While it's not "waterproof", I have it set on the top of my shower glass and listen to the local radio station in the mornings while showering/shaving.  Charge it maybe once every other week and it's good to go. 

Got a jawbone jambox mini 7 years ago now, still going strong and use it almost daily.  While it's not "waterproof", I have it set on the top of my shower glass and listen to the local radio station in the mornings while showering/shaving.  Charge it maybe once every other week and it's good to go. 
Same here. I use it when I'm working out, sitting outside on the porch, camping etc.  It's been a great little machine. I'd never use it as part of my primary set up, but it's been great as a secondary unit.

Same here. I use it when I'm working out, sitting outside on the porch, camping etc.  It's been a great little machine. I'd never use it as part of my primary set up, but it's been great as a secondary unit.
What do you mean by primary set up, when it comes to blutooth stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread