What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY offers free tuition (1 Viewer)

We'll it's not free to taxpayers now is it?

And how do people treat things they're given at no cost?

How long until we start demanding free food for everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't necessarily agree with it, but I think its great that they are trying it. I'm very curious to see how it goes.

One of the benefits of states rights is that states can try out ideas and see how they work. They are testing factories.

Republicans should love that ####.

We'll it's not free to taxpayers now is it?

And how do people treat things they're given at no cost?

How long until we start demanding free food for everyone?
Out of all the things taxes goes to pay for, I think something like this proposal should be at or near the end of the line in terms of people #####ing about.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I think its great that they are trying it. I'm very curious to see how it goes.

One of the benefits of states rights is that states can try out ideas and see how they work. They are testing factories.

Republicans should love that ####.
Mass did this with healthcare by a Republican and they still find excuses.

I like the fact that you must work in NY State for the 4 years following graduation or it becomes a loan. Also like how room and board are not included, as they shouldn't be IMO. If you are a professional student (go onto grad/law/etc. school) and don't contribute to the tax base following graduation, the grant converts to a loan and is incremental to your post-grad tab. I'd like to see some more particulars on when it converts to a loan, such as if you are laid off/unemployed year 3 post graduation does the grant convert to a loan? That's a tricky one no matter where you stand.

As long as it's not a free-lunch free for all, I like these kinds of programs and would be willing to stake my pro-rata taxes on them. Strings attached benefit everyone here. Our tax dollars front the education, but the knowledge stays in-state post-grad and contributes back via the taxes they'll pay on wages, etc. via entry to the work force within the state. Win-win for everybody IMO.

I despise flat cutoffs.  These things should have sliding scales.  The idea that someone making $101,000 pays full tuition yet someone making $100,000 gets free tuition is just bad policy. 

Starting this fall, undergraduate students who attend a State University of New York or City University of New York school will be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship if their families earn no more than $100,000 a year. The income cap will lift to $110,000 next year and will reach $125,000 in 2019.

Reading is fundamental.

Hasn't the state of Georgia been doing something like this for several years?

How is it working there?

An educated populous really sucks for a country.  Much better to spend the tax money on keeping the military industrialist filthy rich.

Starting this fall, undergraduate students who attend a State University of New York or City University of New York school will be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship if their families earn no more than $100,000 a year. The income cap will lift to $110,000 next year and will reach $125,000 in 2019.

Reading is fundamental.
??

So if I make over $125k, my child has to pay full tuition?

I despise flat cutoffs.  These things should have sliding scales.  The idea that someone making $101,000 pays full tuition yet someone making $100,000 gets free tuition is just bad policy. 
The scholarship is structured to fill in the gap after accounting for other federal and state grants. Nearly half of full-time SUNY students, and more than 60% of those at CUNY, already pay nothing for tuition because of need-based federal Pell Grants or New York Tuition Assistance grants. Those students would not be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship.

They really need to stop saying "free"  Unless the professors and other school employees are donating their time to teach for free.

Just call it "Public Funded College Tuition Program"

Yeah, I really don't have any business criticizing NY until other states and municipalities start funding their largesse, but I don't see why complaining about this makes you a snowflake, or why it's one of the last things we should be #####ing about. 

Seems to me like education and job training for those under eighteen should be being pushed, infrastructure, etc. 

Seems like the usual suspects are stamping around and simply boldly declaring without any reasons why. 

An educated populous really sucks for a country.  Much better to spend the tax money on keeping the military industrialist filthy rich.
What's great is when sarcasm and tendentious scolding is used to the full effect of completely botching a homophone. 

Yes, that's nice. 

The scholarship is structured to fill in the gap after accounting for other federal and state grants. Nearly half of full-time SUNY students, and more than 60% of those at CUNY, already pay nothing for tuition because of need-based federal Pell Grants or New York Tuition Assistance grants. Those students would not be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship.
What's the cutoff for those?

If I made $99k and my son was college age and my job offered me a $1000 raise you bet your ### Id refuse the raise.
People in the welfare system have to make these decisions all the time.  It's terrible policy.

A sliding scale is one thing Obamacare got right.

:lmao:  at 125K being middle class ?!?

How can you afford to live on Long Island or anywhere near NYC making only 125K for the household.

Why is that?
States already cover the cost of education through high school so this extends it by four years and puts some parameters around how it is covered. Rolling something like this out should be able to be done with minimal added government bureaucracy. A state investing in the education of their young citizens should more than pay for itself over time as those college educated students graduate and get jobs where they will pay taxes on that income.

Compare that to all of other inefficienct or inappropriate government programs out there and this one seems to be the rare type of progressive government I can get behind.

States already cover the cost of education through high school so this extends it by four years and puts some parameters around how it is covered. Rolling something like this out should be able to be done with minimal added government bureaucracy. A state investing in the education of their young citizens should more than pay for itself over time as those college educated students graduate and get jobs where they will pay taxes on that income.

Compare that to all of other inefficienct or inappropriate government programs out there and this one seems to be the rare type of progressive government I can get behind.
Well I disagree with a lot of those assumptions but thank you for taking the time to actually explain what you meant. :thumbup:

this is why I always laugh when people fight tooth and nail to make more money. It ends up costing you in the long run.
Yea, i have found out that I am way better off making minimum wage and raking in all the free #### I get from Obama than working my way up the rat race

$125k isn't even lower middle class?  HTF much money do regular people make there?
It's actually pretty silly that you have something like this statewide when you look at wages all over NY.  It wouldn't surprise me if wages in NYC or Long Island are doubled or even tripled for the same job in more rural areas of NY.

$125k isn't even lower middle class?  HTF much money do regular people make there?
If you want to live somewhat comfortably (decent cars, 1-2 family vacations a year, out to dinner once in a while, etc) on Long Island you need to have a household income between 200-300K. The closer to 300K the better.

It covers the tuition line item on this chart.

A good step. That line item can be reduced in other ways, as noted throughout the thread. I also agree with the use of sliding scales and percentages. Um, hello basic math?

If you want to live somewhat comfortably (decent cars, 1-2 family vacations a year, out to dinner once in a while, etc) on Long Island you need to have a household income between 200-300K. The closer to 300K the better.
That sounds like at leats middle middle class if nit upper.  I dont know many folks that take 2 family vacations a year and I know more that dont even take one other than a camping trip or such.

I generally agree with the anti-free tuition.  The last thing we need is more poor kids getting a chance at educating themselves.  Gotta keep em down to stay up.

I generally agree with the anti-free tuition.  The last thing we need is more poor kids getting a chance at educating themselves.  Gotta keep em down to stay up.
They can work hard in high school and get student loans like the vast majority of the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread