What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late Round Rookie Prospects (1 Viewer)

Borden

Footballguy
We all need names for the back of our rookie drafts so I thought I would put a few out that I found (or more likely @Faust found). This might turn into "undrafted guys" thread.

Robert Davis - WR: Per a Faust quote 

Georgia State WR Robert Davis "killed the combine and has some good tape to match," writes ESPN's Kevin Weidl.

"Chance to bring strong return on day 3," Weidl wrote. Davis topped the receiver class earlier this month in Indianapolis by testing as a 98.8-percentile SPARQ athlete at the NFL Combine. At 6-foot-2 5/8 and 219 pounds, he ran a 4.44s forty, topped the receiver field with a 136-inch broad jump, finished No. 2 with a 41-inch vertical jump and No. 3 with 19 bench reps. His Combine measurables are similar to Julio Jones', and Davis put up nice numbers in the Sun Belt in Georgia State's pass-happy offense. It's worth noting that Davis also had a good game against Wisconsin last year.

Robert Davis Highlights #1
Robert Davis Highlights #2
Robert Davis Draft Breakdown - One 2015 Game

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenny Golladay from UNI is one I'm keeping an eye on. Pretty good production to go with athleticism and measurables.

Jalen robinette, wr Air Force 

I think his upside is limited to ff wr3 type and will probably be a better teammate than ff player.  But I'll be watching for him and want him to be a titan.  

Name: Jalen Robinette

School: Air Force

Position fit: X receiver

Stats to know: Led all NCAA wide receivers with 5.48 yards per route run, more than a full yard better than the next best receiver.

What he does best:

• Deep threat: ranked sixth among all NCAA WR’s with 699 yards on passes thrown 20-plus yards, and caught all 17 catchable targets.
  • Excellent hands – just one drop on 36 catchable passes in 2016.
  • One of the best in the class at coming down with contested passes, has some highlight-reel catches on tape.
  • Will secure the ball through big hits in the middle of the field.
  • Prototypical size for the position; long arms and leaping ability give him an above-average catch radius.
Biggest concern:

• Quality of competition – faced few NFL-caliber defensive backs in the Mountain West, and was a non-factor in both the Senior Bowl (0 targets) and the Shrine game (2 catches for 11 yards and a dropped pass on 3 targets).
  • Small sample size – AF ran on about 75 percent of plays in 2016, will be an adjustment from option offense into pro-style offense in NFL .
  • Not an impact blocker in the run game – earned average run-blocking grades despite playing in a run-heavy offensive system.
  • Top-end speed is adequate at best, will likely struggle to get open against NFL cornerbacks on vertical routes.
  • Adjustment period was evident through some struggles during Senior Bowl practice.
Bottom line:

Robinette projects as an outside receiver in the NFL, with prototypical size for the position. He is one of the better receivers in the class when it comes to making contested catches, but lacks the speed and quickness to consistently separate from NFL defensive backs. Quality of competition is definitely a concern, especially given his quiet performances in the Senior Bowl and Shrine game. Robinette is raw, but should be able to contribute as a red-zone target early on, and has the potential to develop into a solid possession receiver.

Robinette has been moving up my board a lot lately just purely for upside.  There's a lot of guys in that 20-30 range for me that are solid but I don't see a high ceiling, I see that in Robinette though.  He looks good.  

Other names to consider

Ishmael Zamora WR

Brian Hill RB 

Chad Hanson WR

Tanner Gentry WR

ETA:  Just added "WR" to Gentry's name

Robinette has been moving up my board a lot lately just purely for upside.  There's a lot of guys in that 20-30 range for me that are solid but I don't see a high ceiling, I see that in Robinette though.  He looks good.  

Other names to consider

Ishmael Zamora WR

Brian Hill RB 

Chad Hanson WR

Tanner Gentry 
Hill and Hanson are a couple guys I haven't watched yet but have been meaning to.

Great thread Borden.

Tyler Scalzi is an interesting late round/UDFA ...from his pro day workout...

Scalzi turned heads, caught eyes in workout. Perhaps the biggest name of the day besides Mahomes' was Flower Mound's own Tyler Scalzi. Scalzi participated in all offensive drills and even showed off on some deep snapping. He caught passes and ran routes for Mahomes which added to his day. According to some players, Scalzi will be going in as a tight end.

However, his biggest moment was in the weight room. Scalzi posted a 36" vertical leap, 10.6 broad jump and pushed out 37 reps on the bench press. He was probably the biggest winner after the conclusion of events. Scalzi showed that he has the opportunity to play at the next level.

Big school hidden gems...

http://phillysportsnetwork.com/2017/03/20/scalzi/http://phillysportsnetwork.com/2017/03/20/scalzi/

Some late round guys I like are Jehu Chesson, Jeremy Sprinkle and TJ Logan.

I thought Chesson was Michigan's best WR as a junior in 2015, but he hurt his ankle in their bowl game and wasn't quite the same as a senior. He tested extremely well at the combine with a 4.47 at 6'2, 204. Also one of the quickest short shuttles (4.09) and best long jumps (11 feet). 

Sprinkle is flying under the radar due to the deep TE class. And some bad off field decisions (arrested for shoplifting before the bowl game). But he was productive at Arkansas stepping in for Hunter Henry and ran a 4.69 at the combine. 

Not sure if Logan still qualifies for under the radar after his 4.37 at the combine, but I always like the Day 3 RBs with receiving upside and Logan is pretty similar to James White (with a little more speed). Would need to land in the right spot with a team that throws a lot to the RB (like New Orleans or San Diego) for fantasy value. But definitely keeping a close eye on where he lands.

Some late round guys I like are Jehu Chesson, Jeremy Sprinkle and TJ Logan.

I thought Chesson was Michigan's best WR as a junior in 2015, but he hurt his ankle in their bowl game and wasn't quite the same as a senior. He tested extremely well at the combine with a 4.47 at 6'2, 204. Also one of the quickest short shuttles (4.09) and best long jumps (11 feet). 

Sprinkle is flying under the radar due to the deep TE class. And some bad off field decisions (arrested for shoplifting before the bowl game). But he was productive at Arkansas stepping in for Hunter Henry and ran a 4.69 at the combine. 

Not sure if Logan still qualifies for under the radar after his 4.37 at the combine, but I always like the Day 3 RBs with receiving upside and Logan is pretty similar to James White (with a little more speed). Would need to land in the right spot with a team that throws a lot to the RB (like New Orleans or San Diego) for fantasy value. But definitely keeping a close eye on where he lands.
Shhhh don't talk about Chesson, he's a secret right now and VERY under the radar.

I like Sprinkle too, this TE class is just incredible for like 10 deep.  It might be safest to not draft any and buy next year for anyone making noise.  

As a Michigan fan who watched all the games last year, Chesson is a good athlete who is not a very good WR.

swabs said:
As a Michigan fan who watched all the games last year, Chesson is a good athlete who is not a very good WR.
He'll have more value to a team as a WR than be a fantasy impact but he's very solid all around.  Strikes me as a Hines Ward type of guy, not flashy, very good blocker and above average with the ball in his hands.  

Some WRs:

Josh Malone
Jalen Robinette
Amba Etta-Tawo
Josh Reynolds
Kenny Golladay
Chad Hansen
Robert Davis
Ishmael Zamora
Austin Carr
Shelton Gibson
Mack Hollins

why on Earth are you part of a league that would draft before the draft? edgy. 
It something different. I like it.

Side benefit is it really helps me appreciate the rookies more from a talent perspective rather than just for their landing spot on draft day.

Since you seem to love LBs, I don't think Tyus Bowser got drafted. Might be worth a stash. 
Took 2 LB because I wanted to hit with the picks. Plus Ive got Poz who is nearly done and we start 5.

Will look at Bowser in our WW run........ Thanks

It something different. I like it.

Side benefit is it really helps me appreciate the rookies more from a talent perspective rather than just for their landing spot on draft day.
While I wouldn't want it to be my only league, this seems like it would be a fun way to go if you have a few leagues. 

Anyone know anything on Krishawn Hogan?  Got his name off a Bucky Brooks and DJ article found HERE as a super sleeper.  Seems to be pretty athletic but a little lumbering, probably due to his size but I can't find almost any clips of him anywhere.  

Boom Williams, RB Kentucky could be a late 3rd or 4th rd dynasty rooking pick that has sleeper value.

My list so far:

RB:

• Aaron Jones, UTEP - Capable of being a three down back, very capable in the pass game, great combine.
WR:

• Ishmael Zamora, Baylor - Not invited to combine for abusing his dog (seems incredibly insincere after the fact), had a good proday, physical specimen at 6'4" 215, 40 in the 4.4-4.5 range, good vert and broad.
  • Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinoise - Another SPARQ star, 6'4" 218, absolutely killed the combine, virtually AJ Green in terms of measurables, looks good on tape.
  • Robert Davis, Goergia State - 6'3" 220, one of the best WR combines this class.
TE:

• Adam Shaheen, Ashland - Gronk without the injury history. Looks smooth despite his 4.79 speed.

Jalen robinette, wr Air Force 

I think his upside is limited to ff wr3 type and will probably be a better teammate than ff player.  But I'll be watching for him and want him to be a titan.  

Name: Jalen Robinette

School: Air Force

Position fit: X receiver

Stats to know: Led all NCAA wide receivers with 5.48 yards per route run, more than a full yard better than the next best receiver.

What he does best:

• Deep threat: ranked sixth among all NCAA WR’s with 699 yards on passes thrown 20-plus yards, and caught all 17 catchable targets.
  • Excellent hands – just one drop on 36 catchable passes in 2016.
  • One of the best in the class at coming down with contested passes, has some highlight-reel catches on tape.
  • Will secure the ball through big hits in the middle of the field.
  • Prototypical size for the position; long arms and leaping ability give him an above-average catch radius.
Biggest concern:

• Quality of competition – faced few NFL-caliber defensive backs in the Mountain West, and was a non-factor in both the Senior Bowl (0 targets) and the Shrine game (2 catches for 11 yards and a dropped pass on 3 targets).
  • Small sample size – AF ran on about 75 percent of plays in 2016, will be an adjustment from option offense into pro-style offense in NFL .
  • Not an impact blocker in the run game – earned average run-blocking grades despite playing in a run-heavy offensive system.
  • Top-end speed is adequate at best, will likely struggle to get open against NFL cornerbacks on vertical routes.
  • Adjustment period was evident through some struggles during Senior Bowl practice.
Bottom line:

Robinette projects as an outside receiver in the NFL, with prototypical size for the position. He is one of the better receivers in the class when it comes to making contested catches, but lacks the speed and quickness to consistently separate from NFL defensive backs. Quality of competition is definitely a concern, especially given his quiet performances in the Senior Bowl and Shrine game. Robinette is raw, but should be able to contribute as a red-zone target early on, and has the potential to develop into a solid possession receiver.
http://deadspin.com/report-air-force-blocks-athletes-from-deferring-active-1794769563

Report: Air Force Blocks Athletes From Deferring Active Duty Just Before Jalen Robinette Set To Be Drafted.

There has been no change in the Department of Defense’s policy, which allows athletes to apply for Ready Reserve status immediately upon graduation in order to join a pro team. Now, however, the Air Force will not honor those requests for deferral. (The Army and Naval Academies have not changed their policies, according to Jhabvala.)

Without an option to defer, Robinette would have to spend two years in active duty before being able to pursue an NFL career.

:kicksrock: that sucks for cadet robinette. 

Who are the players people are targeting in the mid-2nd and 3rd rounds now that we know people's landing spots? Post your favorites.

Did a little list of each position and a reason why, also included a projected price to pay mostly based on my own rankings.  I play 2TE in all my leagues so I'll include those. 

RB's

Marlon Mack - Colts - Great landing spot and not bad on the "tape" either.  Moved up from the 4th for me.  Early 3rd?

Jamaal Williams - Packers - I saw glimpses of AP in him, I love his cutting ability for a big guy.  Early 3rd?

Wayne Gallman - Giants - I'm not a big Perkins guy and Gallman is going to be a better pro than college player.  Early 3rd?

WR's

Ishmael Zamora - Raiders - They need a guy opposite Amari and this guy has Josh Gordon type of skillset.  Late 3rd?

Amara Darboh - Seahawks - Nobody has separated themselves when they keep taking WR's.  Baldwin is the only one.  Hoping this is the guy.  Early 3rd?

Aradarius Stewart - Jets - Barren WR core and excels in short passes for some YAC.  Exactly what I'd imagine the Jets will use a lot of with their QB's.  Late 2nd?

TE's

Adam Shaheen - Bears - TE to grow with a new QB together, good thing or bad thing up for debate but still love the landing spot.  Draft position is nice.  Late 2nd?

Gerald Everett - Rams - re-read what I wrote for Shaheen.  Late 2nd/Early 3rd?

I expect Howard, Engram, and Njoku to be long gone by mid 2nd.

Did a little list of each position and a reason why, also included a projected price to pay mostly based on my own rankings.  I play 2TE in all my leagues so I'll include those. 

RB's

Marlon Mack - Colts - Great landing spot and not bad on the "tape" either.  Moved up from the 4th for me.  Early 3rd?

Jamaal Williams - Packers - I saw glimpses of AP in him, I love his cutting ability for a big guy.  Early 3rd?

Wayne Gallman - Giants - I'm not a big Perkins guy and Gallman is going to be a better pro than college player.  Early 3rd?

WR's

Ishmael Zamora - Raiders - They need a guy opposite Amari and this guy has Josh Gordon type of skillset.  Late 3rd?

Amara Darboh - Seahawks - Nobody has separated themselves when they keep taking WR's.  Baldwin is the only one.  Hoping this is the guy.  Early 3rd?

Aradarius Stewart - Jets - Barren WR core and excels in short passes for some YAC.  Exactly what I'd imagine the Jets will use a lot of with their QB's.  Late 2nd?

TE's

Adam Shaheen - Bears - TE to grow with a new QB together, good thing or bad thing up for debate but still love the landing spot.  Draft position is nice.  Late 2nd?

Gerald Everett - Rams - re-read what I wrote for Shaheen.  Late 2nd/Early 3rd?

I expect Howard, Engram, and Njoku to be long gone by mid 2nd.
you are not getting Marlon mack in the 3rd round....

you are not getting Marlon mack in the 3rd round....
Tell me why.  He wasn't drafted very high and he didn't have a massive following before the draft so do you really bump him up that much because of landing spot?  I can see late 2nd as well but no chance I'd take him in the top20 picks.

Tell me why.  He wasn't drafted very high and he didn't have a massive following before the draft so do you really bump him up that much because of landing spot?  I can see late 2nd as well but no chance I'd take him in the top20 picks.
It's all about opportunity.  Quite a few of the higher-rated RBs went to contested spots.  Maybe 2 of the better landing spots were Indy where Mack really only has 73-year old Gore in front of him and Washington where Perine only has to beat out Rob Kelly.  I can definitely see Mack going mid-second round.   

Users who are viewing this thread