What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amir Garrett - SP CIN (1 Viewer)

He'll be tested tonight by the likes of Marte and the veteran right-handed hitters on the Bucs.  Should be a real duel with Nova.  

Hope this pans out for you.  Best of luck!

Legit prospect with front of rotation stuff. He's pretty early getting to this level so the question will be consistency and bouncing back from any bad starts. 

Legit prospect with front of rotation stuff. He's pretty early getting to this level so the question will be consistency and bouncing back from any bad starts. 
I think the mental aspect is going to be a strong point for him.  He has great stuff, maybe ace stuff, #2 starter at a minimum, but I really like his mental toughness.  He was a collegiate athlete in Division I basketball, and I think that gives him a head start on most prospects as far as not getting too high or too low based on small sample sizes.  Love the way he approaches the game, and hope he stays up for the long haul, though some feel 170 innings or so will be his "cap" this year.  We'll see.   Not sure how it will translate to fantasy, but as a Reds fan, I like what I see. 

Interested to see how much different his second start is from Finnegan's second start after they both had really good first outings.  (Finnegan not so much on the second)

I like him, but it seems a bit early to start trotting him out there unless your leeg is pretty deep and you're hurting for IP.

TINSTAAP and innings limits notwithstanding, I think he's a decent speculative pickup for spot starts.  He's pitched 500 minor league innings the last three years so he's been reliable.  The Reds organization hasn't shown any reluctance to give rookie pitchers the ball and it seems like teams play more service time games with position players than pitchers.

I was tempted to draft him in the last round but figured I'd wait and see. I was happy to pick him up on Tuesday and put him in last night, although Steven Wright ruined my day's stats. Not gonna get too high on him yet and will bench him occasionally in certain situations but nice start to the season so far.

Ugh what's his price gonna be in FAAB now?  I had my eye on him last week and regret not picking him up.
Going 5% in FAAB, $11 on $200 if someone goes $10 on ESPN. I like what I see, but I'm not sure 10% is in the budget for me. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Going 5% in FAAB, $11 on $200 if someone goes $10 on ESPN. I like what I see, but I'm not sure 10% is in the budget for me. If I'm wrong, so be it.
I'm putting in $5 of my remaining $90 budget but I'm pretty desperate for pitching.  If he turns out to be a stud, I would designate him as a keeper.  

Went from 8% to 61% owned in CBS leagues over the past 10 days with the majority of that number coming the past few days.   He is the most added SP per cbs.

Cat is out of the bag in competitive leagues Im afraid.

The question is now this, what is his trade value once the ESPNish fantasy advice articles come out over the next few days? And should you trade him for a solid starter type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went from 8% to 61% owned in CBS leagues over the past 10 days with the majority of that number coming the past few days.   He is the most added SP per cbs.

Cat is out of the bag in competitive leagues Im afraid.

The question is now this, what is his trade value once the ESPNish fantasy advice articles come out over the next few days? And should you trade him for a solid starter type?
Roll the dice and see if you can get a 3rd quality start of him then kick some tires before he gets the Cubs next time up.  Who knows what shiny new syndrome will drum up.  His K's and BB's in the upper minors don't inspire much confidence and he's still kinda new to pitching.  I'd expect several bumps this season, just no real clue right now when they will start.  

If you don't get any slam dunk offers then keep riding the wave.  Just be ready with a quick hook.

sent down to AAA

Reds optioned LHP Amir Garrett to Triple-A Louisville.

Garrett had one blow-up start two weeks ago and his control has wavered a bit in his last three outings, but this move has to be the Reds either thinking about his service time and/or them monitoring his workload. He's certainly earned a spot in the rotation. Barrett Astin has replaced Garrett on the roster.

1 appearance in aaa.  6 batters faced, 6 Ks. 

Back up, but I'm sitting him tonight against the Cubs. 

At the beginning of the week, it looked like he would be facing the Rockies at home.  Now I'm stuck with him in the lineup today.  Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst         :(

At the beginning of the week, it looked like he would be facing the Rockies at home.  Now I'm stuck with him in the lineup today.  Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst         :(

Well that didn't take long.  Good thing I was prepared for the worst.

jamny said:
That sucks.

Glad I sat him. I wonder how this will affect his next possible starts.
Before today's game, he had the following stats:

K/9 = 7

BB/9 = 3.5

HR/9 = 1.5

FIP =4.98

BABIP = .235 (which would suggest that he's actually been a little lucky)

This is only based on 36 innings but no bueno.  With all that said, he still will have 5 out of 7 quality starts   :shrug:     I'm just not sure I can start him at this point unless he has a pretty good matchup (e.g. Pirates or Giants).  

In his last 5 starts (25 1/3 innings), he's now given up 16 walks and 11 HRs     :shock:      I think he's a pretty safe drop in redraft leagues at this point.  

Users who are viewing this thread