What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was your favorite comic strip (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Comic strips I would guess are a dying breed but what was your favorite back in the day?    I would guess many Donnesbury fans here but I was a Blondie and Dagwood guy with a side of Nancy and Sluggo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes are probably neck and neck.

I loved Bloom County back in the day, but sadly, the reboot really hasn't done it any favors.

I enjoy Dilbert but not sure if it would be my all time fav.  Not sure what would though 

Family Circus has to be all time worst

Beetle Bailey was a real numb nutz, but i was diggin' the strip back in the day. 

**** Tracy, Pogo, Mother Goose and Grimm, Prince Valiant, Johnny Quest, B.C.

Several good ones mentioned already, but Far Side >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all others, IMO.

Loved it.  No other comic inspired me to buy full books.  A few othe good ones I did not see mentioned yet that I enjoyed: Dennis The Menace, Garfield and Crankshaft

As a kid, Peanuts and Garfield.

As I matured, Far Side and Bloom County.

As an adult in the work force, Dilbert.

But in the grand scheme, there is Calvin & Hobbes and then a deep, deep drop before you get to anyone at #2. Sheer genius. And the retirement of Bill Watterson at the top of his game made it all the more interesting (I think there was a documentary on that a while back, pretty good if I recall).

The Far Side, and it's not even close.

Although, I get The Argyle Sweater desk calendar every year, and that could be called Far Side Lite (some conspiracy theorists say it is actually Larson)

Side note - this does beg the question...do people still read comic strips?

For me, the comic strip was intrinsically tied to the newspaper. When you read the newspaper, you also read the "funny pages" (in glorious color on Sundays).

Now that my news comes from the internet, I can't tell you the last time I read a comic strip (much less with regularity).

I'm 54.

best Sunday comic strips before i was a teen: Beetle Bailey, Peanuts, The Archies

most apt to read when I was older because I thought they were clever: B.C., Dilbert, Doonesbury, The Far Side, The New Yorker

Never thought Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes or Bloom County were great but that's a function of my age (all came out in my late teens or early adulthood.)

Denis the Menace and Family Circle were dumb, ditto for the Lockhorns.

For me -

Calvin and Hobbes >>> Far Side >> Bloom County

All great IMO.

Kind of disappointed no has recognized the greatness of "Kathy" in here though.  Sexists. 

For me, the comic strip was intrinsically tied to the newspaper. When you read the newspaper, you also read the "funny pages" (in glorious color on Sundays).

Now that my news comes from the internet, I can't tell you the last time I read a comic strip (much less with regularity).
We still have a subscription to our local paper.  Dilbert and Get Fuzzy are my daily reads.  And I still get a Dilbert desktop calendar every year.

Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, Bloom County, and Foxtrot

One that hasn't been mentioned yet but was hilarious is Overboard

Same for me and partially why I started this thread.   Not long ago I saw a Sunday paper and remembered how great it was to get the comics longer and in color on Sundays.   I like the Parade too.

I'm 54.

best Sunday comic strips before i was a teen: Beetle Bailey, Peanuts, The Archies

most apt to read when I was older because I thought they were clever: B.C., Dilbert, Doonesbury, The Far Side, The New Yorker

Never thought Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes or Bloom County were great but that's a function of my age (all came out in my late teens or early adulthood.)

Denis the Menace and Family Circle were dumb, ditto for the Lockhorns.
You & I are the same age and I mostly align with your choices. I did like the Lockhorns when I got older, though. 

I never, for some reason, liked any of the daily serialized comics when I was a kid but loved superhero comic books (which were hyper-serialized) :loco:

Same for me and partially why I started this thread.   Not long ago I saw a Sunday paper and remembered how great it was to get the comics longer and in color on Sundays.   I like the Parade too.
the NY Daily New Sunday comics (in glorious color) was akin to getting the Sears Christmas Wish Book each week - as a kid back in those days, yeah - that was the ####   :thumbup:

Our Sunday comics come with our Saturday paper.  I get mad at my wife if she throws out the comics before I get to read them Sunday morning.  The Sunday comics are meant to be read while drinking your coffee Sunday morning - not Saturday.

Bloom County. Not even that close, really. 

"Oh, look," (says Milo), "There goes little P.E.T.A."

1) Bloom County

2) Calvin and Hobbes

3) Peanuts ('60s version)

All three deserve to be re-run, every day. Just total joy, even in heartbreak.  

eta* I still can't believe there's an anti-Snoopy crowd whingeing about.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, and Bloom County. Liked them in the paper and bought the books. 

Currently, the only one I read regularly is XKCD.

Users who are viewing this thread