What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk for WR1 Trade (1 Viewer)

FredG

Footballguy
I posted in my league that I was interested in moving Gronk – primarily interested in picking up a WR1 but willing to package a multi-player swap but the core to be Gronk and a WR1. I was offered the following trade.

The trade – I give Gronk, Decker, 2.06

I receive Keenan Allen, J. Cook, 4.05

It is dynasty PPR, 12 teams, roster 54, Start   QB 1 / RB 1-3 / WR 2-5 / TE 1-4 / PK 1 à 9 total offense + 9 defense    

My roster  (primary offense players)

QB:   Tyrod, Bradford, Bridgewater, Alex Smith

RB:   Devonta Freeman, Doug Martin, Jalen Richard, Prosise, Jacquizz Rodgers

WR: Julio Jones, Willie Snead, Kelvin Benjamin, Decker, Moncrief, Eli Rogers, Perriman

TE:  Gronk, Hooper, Swoope, Richard Rodger

Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 3.06, 5.06, 6.06

His Roster

QB:   Brees, Carr, Cousins, RG III

RB:   Jamaal Charles, Dixon, Ervin, Hightower, Dion Lewis, Jeremy Hill, Lynch, Alf Morris

WR:  Keenan Allen, Cooper, Evans, Demaryius Thomas, Wheaton, Allison

TE:    Bennett, Cook, Fiedorowicz, Higbee, Miller

Picks: 1.09, 2.08, 4.05, 5.05, 5.12, 6.12

I am probably going to pass on the trade but wanted some input.  I have Keenan just outside the top 12 in my PPR rankings so not a legit WR1 plus considerable risk – injury and competition for targets from now that Williams, Benjamin, and Inman have stepped up last year. That busts the intent I had with the trade. My view is that Gronk-Allen with Allen having higher injury risk than Gronk if that’s possible but in any case this is not a solid enough WR1

The Decker – Cook piece of the trade is not in my favor and I don’t need Cook.

The pick piece of the trade does not happen even if I become convinced to take on the other parts of the trade. The pick part of the trade is a non-starter for me.

Wanted to roll this out and get comments. Thanks in advance.

I agree that I would pass.  I would not say that Allen has more injury risk than Gronk but regardless you are not reducing your injury risk.  Allen is a borderline WR1 when healthy but you have more depth at WR than TE and Gronk can be a difference maker at the TE position and with this trade you would lose that.  And if Gronk could happen to stay healthy, his trade value will only increase.  Beyond that,  the rest of the pieces of the trade are clearly not in your favor. 

I would pass pretty easily.  It's a bad time to sell Gronk.  His perceived value has been at an all time low this off season.  Drop the picks off and I still pass.  I feel both Gronk and Allen or of equal injury risk but Gronk is still the clear TE1 when he is out there playing and is a huge advantage at his position.

Agree - which is what I laid out. Wondering if you would have a different view if it were Cooper instead of Allen and the picks were out of the picture?

As outlined it is a very easy decline.  Not close.   Exchanging Cooper with Allen and dropping the picks makes it close but I still turn it down.  Cooper has potential and not the injury history of Allen but in reality he hasn't been a clear WR1 performing player.  I expected his stats to be better then they are based on the hype.         

Agree - which is what I laid out. Wondering if you would have a different view if it were Cooper instead of Allen and the picks were out of the picture?
Gronk over Allen... 

Cooper over Gronk... too much youth and potential for me to decline

ETA: Its also a good year to add a TE in the draft.  1.06 might be a little early for a TE given the names potentially on the board but I'm strongly considering TE at 1.7, 1.8...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would trade Gronk for Cooper.  A talented WR who is in a great situation with Carr at QB, Cooper has the potential to be a WR1 for a long time. 

Evans should be the player that you're targeting if you're going to give up Gronk.  I am not sold that Cooper is going to be an upper echelon WR, and Allen is just as much of an injury risk as Gronk.

Cooper for Gronk is very close, and I could be persuaded to do that deal.

i would also pass...as others said they both hold some injury risk but when he is on the field Gronk is better. Now if it were cooper instead i would say go for it and get rid of the Gronk drama.

Users who are viewing this thread