What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Gerald Everett, CHI (2 Viewers)

Boone22

Footballguy
What are people's thoughts on this guy? NFL Draft Profile has him ranked as the #4 TE behind Howard, Njoku, and Engram. Everyone's talking about those 3 and even guys ranked behind him; Shaheen, Hodges, Butt, and Sprinkle but I haven't heard any buzz about Everett.

From his Profile...

OVERVIEW

It's become a tradition for a former high school or college basketball player with limited football experience to become an intriguing tight end prospect. Everett played just one year of high school football while starting on the hardcourt, then went to Hutchinson Community College to hone his skills so major programs would find his talent. He showed talent in his only year at Alabama-Birmingham (17-292, 1 TD) but was forced to transfer after the school cut the program. South Alabama was glad to have him, as he earned first-team All-Sun Belt notice in 2015 (41-575, eight TD) and 2016 (49-717, four TD).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Slick athlete with leftover wide receiver traits. Easy acceleration into routes and can blow by safeties who sit down looking for a route break for too long. Good acceleration off of plant foot in route breaks. Can create immediate separation. Carries play speed throughout routes. Cover linebackers are usually in for a rough day vs. Everett, who eats in the middle of the field and shows no fear. Maximizes arm length for wide catch radius. Hands look fairly natural as pass catcher. Adds to totals with yards after catch. Runs physically and with excellent balance. Rips his legs through arm-tackle attempts. Instinctive runner who sets up blocks on bubble screens. Alters stride length to elude diving tackle attempts. Able to work all three levels of the field. Blocks with anger and is prone to longer engagements than most blockers on perimeter. Put on a show, including game-winning touchdown, in upset of Mississippi State on the road.

WEAKNESSES

Route running doesn't appear to be high on his priority list. Routes are rounded, dull and lack urgency. Leans into most of his breaks. Talented cover safeties can jump his routes. Drifts on square-ins, allowing deep safeties a door into the play. Needs work on double moves. Could have issues playing through route redirection off line of scrimmage. Shows deceleration when locating ball on deep throws. Hands are small. Too many one-handed stab attempts on throws outside his frame limit ability to make the "wow" catches. Touchdown production lower than expected.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's got all the tools. He could end up being one of the top pass catching tight ends in the league. There is question about whether he can handle a full playbook, but I think that is overblown. Cut him loose and let him make a bunch of plays." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON

Quincy Enunwa

BOTTOM LINE

It's difficult to find a good comparison for Everett because his size and toughness are similar to Marshall's coming out, but his playing style resembles Delanie Walker at times. Everett has size, speed and tremendous run-after-catch potential, but it is his willingness and ability to block that separates him from other "matchup" tight ends. Route running is below average, but he should improve with NFL coaching. Everett has the talent to become a very good NFL starter with Pro Bowl potential if he puts it all together. -Lance Zierlein

Last edited by a moderator:
CBS Sports' Rob Rang writes that South Alabama TE Gerald Everett's "talent is undeniable."

"Elusive, fast and capable of running through arm tackles, Everett is a classic move tight end," Rang writes. While he likes him as one of his sleeper tight ends in this class, it might be difficult to even count the 6-foot-3, 239-pounder as a sleeper at this juncture. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline assigns him a lofty second-round grade and NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah argued near the end of January that Everett "belongs in the discussion as the top player at his position." 

Apr. 9 - 2:38 pm et Source: CBS Sports

Draft insider Tony Pauline hears South Alabama TE Gerald Everett could move into the later part of the first round with a strong workout at the NFL Combine.

Pauline calls Everett the best downfield playmaker at the position. We would give that title to David Njoku out of Miami, but there's a lot to like in Everett's skillset. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah recently placed Everett in the first round of his mock draft. As of now we prefer OJ Howard, David Njoku and Evan Engram to Everett, but the tight end class is great. 

Feb 1 - 9:26 AM

Source: Draft Analyst

NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah writes that South Alabama TE Gerald Everett "belongs in the discussion as the top player at his position."

Jeremiah is of the belief that Everett should be spoken of in the same breath as potential first-round/early second-round tight ends O.J. Howard and Jake Butt. Noted the analyst, "He's extremely athletic and he makes some special plays on tape." The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Everett will be on hand for Senior Bowl festivities next week. Should he perform well during the practice week, Jeremiah sees him as "[having] a chance to vault up the board." 

Jan 20 - 7:26 PM

Source: NFL.com

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that South Alabama senior TE Gerald Everett "can be a mismatch weapon."
The unnamed scout offered a high-praise comp for Everett, noting that the 6-foot-4, 225-pound senior's game and skill set are reminiscent of Jordan Reed's. He could potentially land as a Day 2 selection come this spring's draft. During the 2016 campaign, Everett caught 49 passes for 717 yards and four touchdowns. He will be taking his talents to the Senior Bowl in January, but before he does that, will have one last opportunity on the collegiate stage when the Jaguars square off with Air Force in the Arizona Bowl on December 30.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Wed, Dec 21, 2016 06:09:00 PM

Football Focus compared South Alabama TE Gerald Everett to Los Angeles Chargers TE Antonio Gates.
"Everett, like Gates, is just exploding with athletic ability at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds as he enters the draft, but his technique – both as a blocker and as a route-runner – needs to be polished up, likely due mostly to a lack of experience," writes the PFF analysis team. They refer to Everett as "one of the more raw tight ends in this class," but there is tremendous offensive potential to be tapped here. He could see love as early as Round 2 of the draft next week.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Apr 18 - 10:42 PM

Rams selected South Alabama TE Gerald Everett with the No. 44 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Everett (6’3/239) played basketball for most of his high school career and was therefore lightly recruited, spending 2012-2013 at community college, 2014 at now-defunct UAB, and his final two seasons at small-school South Alabama. Everett earned first-team All-Sun Belt in both years, posting a career 90-1,212-12 (13.5 YPR) receiving line. While undersized by NFL standards, Everett offers basketball-player athleticism with 4.62 speed and a 37 ½-inch vertical, long arms (33"), and rare vertical ability for a tight end. Everett was also a better blocker than expected on tape. While first-year production seems unlikely, long term Everett offers matchup-nightmare potential in the middle of the field.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Rams: Gerald Everett, TE – Just like most of the tight ends to this point, calling Everett a tight end isn’t accurate. He’s more of a wide receiver with good athleticism and strong body. Everett isn’t a high quality blocker, but he’s a dangerous seam weapon with power and after the catch movies. Everett fits the description of a Fantasy tight end with impact coming in his second season and not as a rookie, when you consider Jared Goff is at quarterback and Tyler Higbee coming into his second season at tight end. That said, Everett won’t line up at the typical tight end spot most of the time, allowing both he and Higbee to be on the field together… but again… Goff.

ESPN Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez projects second-round TE Gerald Everett to earn a starting job.

After moving on from Lance Kendricks, the Rams have no veteran depth at tight end, which could open up a big early role for Everett. He will have to compete with last year's fourth-rounder Tyler Higbee and sixth-rounder Temarrick Hemingway for playing time, but both were drafted by the previous front office. Despite some rawness to his game, Everett could surprise with a solid rookie campaign.

Source: ESPN 
May 15 - 9:34 AM

I'm getting that Jordan Reed feeling here.  
He and Engram were the one's drawing that comp before the draft. From what I've been able to gather Engram was plan A for the Rams and Everett was plan B. I know it's the Rams but considering that McVay was Reed's original position coach when he entered the league before becoming his OC this is no small thing, to  me anyway, that he is identified these two as his new potential Reed.

From what I'm gathering in leagues people are not so jacked up about him, most seem to cite his small hands and that's not a non issue to me but not a deal breaker either.

I first heard about Everett back in December so he's someone I heard about before I saw. I went looking for video and the first one one I found is one of those video's that highlight feature player on the video pre-snap. After a few plays I thought to myself this big athletic WR looks like the best player on the field but why are they highlighting him and where is this TE I'm hearing about? So I'm a little slow sometimes but that of course was Everett who to me looked like pre-ACL Kenny Britt. And for those that don't remember that while oddly Britt just had his most productive total season he's not the bouncy athletic player who came into the league, he just had to spend those few healthy years with Vince Young.

So I'd been having this Britt comp but never looked up the metrics until a few days ago. I was barely into dynasty when Britt came out and I don't recall spending a lot of time scouting him and just figured he was considerably faster but tale of tape kind of backed up what I saw.

Britt, 627/218, 4.56 40, 37" vertical, 10'04" broad jump, 4.47 20 yard shuttle, 9" hands

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

Everett, 626/233, 4.62 40, 37.5" vertical, 10'05" broad jump, 4.33 20 yard shuttle, 8.5" hands.

So pretty similar numbers but Everett was carrying about 20 more pounds and again why a pre-ACL Britt comp may not excite some we are talking about a coach who has a plan, a QB who as bad is he was in his first season is not a lost cause and is an upgrade as a passer over Vince Young(Britt's game logs with Kerry Collins back when healthy was night and day vs Vince) and a in TE premium leagues you get an extra half a point per catch.

Other than that when you watch video of him his basketball background is very evident, which is why he drew a lot of comps to Gates by some.

I'm not calling this guy a star or anything yet, but there sure is a lot I see to get excited about and why I've been gobbling him up.

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

He's an interesting guy in that they took him, at least to me, relatively early in the draft when I thought they might have found their foundation TE in Higbee last year.  They doubled up on TE last year and took Everett this year so lots of competition there.  Higbee was getting all the same types of praises during TC and preseason and then never materialized in season but I get that same type of feel here.  Could get very muddled figuring out which is going to be the #1.  I bought Higbee everywhere I could in my 2TE leagues so I'm hoping for him, but the Rams taking Everett in the early 2nd isn't a great sign.  

He's an interesting guy in that they took him, at least to me, relatively early in the draft when I thought they might have found their foundation TE in Higbee last year.  They doubled up on TE last year and took Everett this year so lots of competition there.  Higbee was getting all the same types of praises during TC and preseason and then never materialized in season but I get that same type of feel here.  Could get very muddled figuring out which is going to be the #1.  I bought Higbee everywhere I could in my 2TE leagues so I'm hoping for him, but the Rams taking Everett in the early 2nd isn't a great sign.  
The Rams' selection of Everett certainly takes some of the the lustre off of Higbee as a dynasty prospect.  I was excited to see what Higbee could develop into under McVay's tutelage, but there is no denying that Everett fits the "Jordan Reed" role better than does Higbee.  While both could earn prominent roles in what projects as a TE-friendly offense, it is now Everett's future I am most excited about.  My biggest concern at this point is Jared Goff; he really needs to step his game up after a disappointing rookie campaign.

The Rams' selection of Everett certainly takes some of the the lustre off of Higbee as a dynasty prospect.  I was excited to see what Higbee could develop into under McVay's tutelage, but there is no denying that Everett fits the "Jordan Reed" role better than does Higbee.  While both could earn prominent roles in what projects as a TE-friendly offense, it is now Everett's future I am most excited about.  My biggest concern at this point is Jared Goff; he really needs to step his game up after a disappointing rookie campaign.
I know that despite the Colts being only team in history to have two TE's catch 8 or more TD's in a season the only offense to actually feature two top level TE's at the same time was the Patriots.

So when you look at it that way it's daunting if you try and think that it's not an either/or situation but that both could be viable when it's only been done once and that was with Brady. So when you look at odds of two TE's on same team being viable it would seem like best case it's one or the other but not both.

But this may not be as either/or a situation as it looks. Everett is listed as a TE but he'll be more of a WR than a TE, it's what I'd have assumed but it's also what I've read coming out of LA since they took him. It could be that Everett's competition in this offense to get usage is more him against Woods/Kupp/Tavon then him against Higbee.

I know that despite the Colts being only team in history to have two TE's catch 8 or more TD's in a season the only offense to actually feature two top level TE's at the same time was the Patriots.

So when you look at it that way it's daunting if you try and think that it's not an either/or situation but that both could be viable when it's only been done once and that was with Brady. So when you look at odds of two TE's on same team being viable it would seem like best case it's one or the other but not both.

But this may not be as either/or a situation as it looks. Everett is listed as a TE but he'll be more of a WR than a TE, it's what I'd have assumed but it's also what I've read coming out of LA since they took him. It could be that Everett's competition in this offense to get usage is more him against Woods/Kupp/Tavon then him against Higbee.
That offense will go through gurley but if Everett comes close to his raw potential there isn't much competition for receptions.  

Is there a worse, or at least less developed, group of receivers and QB in the league? 

That offense will go through gurley but if Everett comes close to his raw potential there isn't much competition for receptions.  

Is there a worse, or at least less developed, group of receivers and QB in the league? 
Jets

I like Everett a lot at where falling to in rookie drafts, He's falling a lot, mostly because nobody trusts the Rams passing offense (understandable).   Bur remember McVay utilized his TE's a lot in Washington and it is very interesting that, despite all their other needs,  their very first pick with McVay in the room was Everett.   I think McVay sees him as a Jordan Reed type player who will be moved around to create mismatches.  

San Fran

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/16/nfl-notes-bears-trubisky-jets-49ers-browns-quarterbacks

9. Want an underrated rookie to look out for? Keep an eye on Rams second-round pick Gerald Everett, out of South Alabama. A couple other teams groaned when they saw him come off the board with the 44th pick, thinking he’d slip to them later in the second round. And the way the team sees it, Everett should fit new coach Sean McVay’s offense the same way that Jordan Reed did in Washington, which certainly wouldn’t hurt the effort to help Jared Goff make a big leap in his second year.

I grabbed Everett in a couple rookie drafts. I think he's a good value this year. He looks like an Ebron type of player to me. Maybe not as crisp, but very similar in his body type and RAC skills. Usually rookie TEs don't do anything, but there's so little talent on this Rams team that they might be forced to rush him into a big role.

I grabbed Everett in a couple rookie drafts. I think he's a good value this year. He looks like an Ebron type of player to me. Maybe not as crisp, but very similar in his body type and RAC skills. Usually rookie TEs don't do anything, but there's so little talent on this Rams team that they might be forced to rush him into a big role.
Based upon highlights, I think he looks crisper than Ebron.

Everett and joe Williams are 2 guys who are very cheap pick wise that almost feel like sure things, hand picked by their new coaches who have a history of success at those particular positions. Even when reed was injured Davis was a te 1, and the list of late rd/udfa rbs with success in the shannahan (dad/kubiak/Kyle) offense is long. Seems like a pretty easy buy in the 3rd rd 

I picked him up in the 4th round of one of my dynasty drafts, TE's going 2 to 3 rounds after him in the actual NFL draft were drafted higher in our rookie draft. Seems like great value to be gambling on him that late. I was hoping Higbee would be a nice sleeper but I think its pretty clear the new staff loved Everett by spending their first pick in the draft on him.

I picked him up in the 4th round of one of my dynasty drafts, TE's going 2 to 3 rounds after him in the actual NFL draft were drafted higher in our rookie draft. Seems like great value to be gambling on him that late. I was hoping Higbee would be a nice sleeper but I think its pretty clear the new staff loved Everett by spending their first pick in the draft on him.
I can understand taking Butt ahead of Everett, Butt is (other than injury) a safer, higher floor pick.  if any of the others were taken ahead of Everett, you'd have to question your leaguemates.  Roberts, Kittle, Leggett, Sprinkle and Saubert probably shouldn't be drafted in most leagues. 

I can understand taking Butt ahead of Everett, Butt is (other than injury) a safer, higher floor pick.  if any of the others were taken ahead of Everett, you'd have to question your leaguemates.  Roberts, Kittle, Leggett, Sprinkle and Saubert probably shouldn't be drafted in most leagues. 
c'mon now.  First you are missing Adam Shaheen (2nd), Jonnu Smith (3rd), and Bucky Hodges (5th).  Second those guys you mentioned are all candidates in at least large or TE premium leagues.  Kittle has been drafted in all of my leagues (12 man PPR even), and Leggett/Sprinkle/Roberts have all been drafted in more than one.

c'mon now.  First you are missing Adam Shaheen (2nd), Jonnu Smith (3rd), and Bucky Hodges (5th).  Second those guys you mentioned are all candidates in at least large or TE premium leagues.  Kittle has been drafted in all of my leagues (12 man PPR even), and Leggett/Sprinkle/Roberts have all been drafted in more than one.
Buckna said TEs drafted 2-3 rounds after Everett.  Shaheen and smith don't fit that description.  Hodges might be worth drafting as a Longshot in average leagues but the rest of the guys drafted in rounds 4 and 5?  Only in deep leagues.  (So like I said, not in most leagues)

Buckna said TEs drafted 2-3 rounds after Everett.  Most of the guys you list don't fit that description.  Hodges might be worth drafting as a Longshot in average leagues but the rest of the guys drafted in rounds 4 and 5?  Only in deep leagues.  
Ok, that context didn't come though in your post, makes a little more sense that way.  I still think you were a bit over the top saying none of those guys should be drafted,

I think Everett may be closer to the 1st round TE than any others in this very good and deep draft class for the TE position. With one caveat.

I haven't watched Jonnu Smith yet though, hopefully soon. He is one that intrigues me, because if he is able to play close to Delannie Walker, he might be very valuable in fantasy. The situation is such that I could possibly see Smith being ranked 4th ahead of Everett. I am keeping an open mind about that until I watch Smith.

I had Everett pretty high pre NFL draft. My next TE for fantasy after him was Hodges. I wasn't aware of Jonnu Smith at all in the pre NFL draft process. Mularkey taking him has me a bit more interested than I would be with other coaches.

Ok, that context didn't come though in your post, makes a little more sense that way.  I still think you were a bit over the top saying none of those guys should be drafted,
:shrug:

Point for this thread is buckna is probably right that Everett is being undervalued.  Bia is probably right that Jonnu is a good later pick too.

Buckna said TEs drafted 2-3 rounds after Everett.  Shaheen and smith don't fit that description.  Hodges might be worth drafting as a Longshot in average leagues but the rest of the guys drafted in rounds 4 and 5?  Only in deep leagues.  (So like I said, not in most leagues)
Sorry, maybe a bit of an exaggeration on the number of guys (although Butt did go before Everett in this league), but still a 2nd round TE that was taken with that team's first pick in the draft that has a new coaching staff that historically loves utilizing the TE that I can draft in the 4th round? Sign me up!

Rams second-round TE Gerald Everett expects to fill a Jordan Reed-type role.
New Rams coach Sean McVay was Reed's offensive coordinator the last three years and his position coach before that while Everett looks the part of an athletic mismatch in the middle of the field. Rookie tight ends always struggle to contribute, but Everett has no proven talent ahead of him on the depth chart and the Rams need weapons in the passing game. He could surprise this season.

Source: SiriusXM NFL Radio on Twitter

Sorry, maybe a bit of an exaggeration on the number of guys (although Butt did go before Everett in this league), but still a 2nd round TE that was taken with that team's first pick in the draft that has a new coaching staff that historically loves utilizing the TE that I can draft in the 4th round? Sign me up!
Yep.  Just took everett at pick 28 over shaheen or butt. Maybe an overpay but I think the optimists are on to something with him. 

Sure, and the new regime drafted a more talented player.  
I seem to remember a lot of people tripping over themselves to draft Higbee too.   Everett may be better, but Higbee will probably be the starter and he too may develop into a decent option.  Well, as decent as an option can be in that offense.  Higbee's scouting report had him as an athletic stretch the field pass catcher.

Higbee draft profile -

Former wide receiver with a smooth, wide­-open gait when he hits top gear. Has big hands. Had just one drop this season and showed ability to recover the catch when he juggled a throw. Becomes a body catcher who can protect the ball in traffic. Willing to work middle of the field and take hits. Quick and slippery off line of scrimmage and into routes. Very good acceleration out of his breaks and can be a tough cover for safeties. Has the speed and toughness to work all three levels of the field. Can own the Y­-seam with his vertical speed and hands. Immediately opens and looks for expedited throws when he's over the top of inside linebackers. Has frame for more muscle mass. Extremely competitive after the catch with speed, elusiveness and decent power. Can carry body tacklers after the catch.

I seem to remember a lot of people tripping over themselves to draft Higbee too.   Everett may be better, but Higbee will probably be the starter and he too may develop into a decent option.  Well, as decent as an option can be in that offense.  Higbee's scouting report had him as an athletic stretch the field pass catcher.

Higbee draft profile -

Former wide receiver with a smooth, wide­-open gait when he hits top gear. Has big hands. Had just one drop this season and showed ability to recover the catch when he juggled a throw. Becomes a body catcher who can protect the ball in traffic. Willing to work middle of the field and take hits. Quick and slippery off line of scrimmage and into routes. Very good acceleration out of his breaks and can be a tough cover for safeties. Has the speed and toughness to work all three levels of the field. Can own the Y­-seam with his vertical speed and hands. Immediately opens and looks for expedited throws when he's over the top of inside linebackers. Has frame for more muscle mass. Extremely competitive after the catch with speed, elusiveness and decent power. Can carry body tacklers after the catch.
Tripping over themselves is a bit of a stretch. More like, if he was there late in the 3rd or in the 4th, they were mildly excited. That said, there was a lot less talent in the draft last year.

Also, any time a new regime comes in, things change, sometimes drastically.  McVay said after drafting Everett that he's the Rams' Jordan Reed. He was also their 1st pick of the draft, and lots of people thought they reached on him, but he's their guy.  

I'm not sure if he's more talented than Higbee, but I don't think he got accused of Assault, and the new coach (aka the one that matters) loves him. So even if Higbee and Everett are close in talent, Everett is the top guy since he was the one drafted by McVay. That's just how the NFL works...

Higbee draft profile -

On what facts are you basing the bolded? If it's just everett being a rookie and he'll need time to learn, possibly - at first.  But higbee sure didn't show it last year.  Higbee has some raw talent but if you're trying to argue that he's a better receiver, his 11 receptions on 29 targets last year doesn't help that argument. 

On what facts are you basing the bolded? If it's just everett being a rookie and he'll need time to learn, possibly - at first.  But higbee sure didn't show it last year.  Higbee has some raw talent but if you're trying to argue that he's a better receiver, his 11 receptions on 29 targets last year doesn't help that argument. 
TE is a frustrating position to wait on in fantasy.  If Higbee shows any of his profile in preseason it will be tough for Everett to start over him year 1.

TE is a frustrating position to wait on in fantasy.  If Higbee shows any of his profile in preseason it will be tough for Everett to start over him year 1.
We can agree to disagree.  But let's assume you're right that everett doesn't start as a rookie.  That's fine imo as most of us shouldn't count on a rookie tight end drafted in the late 2nd or later in our ff drafts anyway.  Fwiw, I'm probably putting all my rookies on my taxi squad anyway (foster, everett and two later picks).  We're not drafting everett for 2017, at least I'm not. 

We can agree to disagree.  But let's assume you're right that everett doesn't start as a rookie.  That's fine imo as most of us shouldn't count on a rookie tight end drafted in the late 2nd or later in our ff drafts anyway.  Fwiw, I'm probably putting all my rookies on my taxi squad anyway (foster, everett and two later picks).  We're not drafting everett for 2017, at least I'm not. 
Everett could be very good and possibly sooner than I think

Users who are viewing this thread