Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Boone22

Dynasty: TE Gerald Everett

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Everett could be very good and possibly sooner than I think

I love the guy long term but here is what I see as pro/con for early production.

Con: TE's slow to develop in NFL, he is a raw route runner, big step up in competition, shaky QB play.

Pro: he's a hybrid who based on stuff I've been reading will play WR more early in his career than TE which could remove some of the general slow TE development(and remove your Higbee concerns). Reed and Hernandez, who were used more as WR's than traditional TE's, both got off to strong starts as rookies but injuries hampered both otherwise you might have seen both of them post top 5 all time rookie TE seasons, in fact I'd say likely.

In same offense rookie year Reed only played 9 games as a rookie and his QB was rookie RG3. Reed missed almost of all training camp that year with a knee injury which I remember well because at the time I thought a rookie TE who missed almost all of camp was worthless the upcoming season. In those 9 games he averaged about 15 fantasy PPG in TE premium leagues, which usually will you hovering as a top 5 TE. His pro rated numbers would have hid him at 80/887/5. We don't know if he's as good as Hernandez or Reed of course, just citing similar type players, one used in same system, who got off to strong starts as rookies.

Lack of comp for targets, it's wide open. His YAC ability for his position is elite, this will work a lot better in TE premium leagues but as they bring him along I can see a ton of short passes/screens in his immediate future. Bad OL and they need to give Goff some easy throws to move the chains and this could be nice formula for a lot of short easier completions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higbee will be the inline TE, Everett will not be.  At least not yet.  There ya go, solved.

But yes, Higbee's fantasy value took a hit with Everett being drafted... nay, hand-picked by a TE guru with his first ever draft pick as a HC...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I seem to remember a lot of people tripping over themselves to draft Higbee too.   Everett may be better, but Higbee will probably be the starter and he too may develop into a decent option.  Well, as decent as an option can be in that offense.  Higbee's scouting report had him as an athletic stretch the field pass catcher.

Higbee draft profile -

 Former wide receiver with a smooth, wide­-open gait when he hits top gear. Has big hands. Had just one drop this season and showed ability to recover the catch when he juggled a throw. Becomes a body catcher who can protect the ball in traffic. Willing to work middle of the field and take hits. Quick and slippery off line of scrimmage and into routes. Very good acceleration out of his breaks and can be a tough cover for safeties. Has the speed and toughness to work all three levels of the field. Can own the Y­-seam with his vertical speed and hands. Immediately opens and looks for expedited throws when he's over the top of inside linebackers. Has frame for more muscle mass. Extremely competitive after the catch with speed, elusiveness and decent power. Can carry body tacklers after the catch.

I liked Higbee a lot as a high-upside prospect. The most likely outcome was that he wouldn't pan out, but he had maybe a 25% chance of hitting it big. (The fact that they chose to draft Everett is a sign that the Rams aren't that optimistic about Higbee, so I'd now lower that to 15-20%.) A 15-25% chance of hitting it big is good reason to get excited about a player in the mid rounds of a rookie draft, but it's not much cause for concern about him getting in the way of his teammate's opportunity to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to ProFootballFocus, 63.5 percent of Gerald Everett's receiving yards in college came after the catch.

Everett also led all college tight ends in missed tackles forced during his final two seasons at South Alabama. PFF has compared Everett's skill set to Antonio Gates, while the Rams see him playing a Jordan Reed-type role. It's still going to be a big adjustment for Everett moving from the relatively low-stakes Sun Belt Conference to the bright lights of the NFL.
 
 
Source: therams.com 
May 28 - 12:26 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rams second-round TE Gerald Everett caught 2-of-3 targets for 12 yards in Saturday's preseason opener.

Everett was buried behind Tyler Higbee this evening, but flashed great movement skills on a nine-yard reception in the second quarter. Low on the targets totem pole in what figures to be one of the NFL's worst offenses, Everett won't make a re-draft impact in 2017, but could burnish his Dynasty league stock even on limited playing time.

Aug 13 - 12:15 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerald Everett left Sunday's Week 2 game against the Redskins with a thigh injury and is questionable to return.

He hobbled off in the third quarter after making a nice catch over the middle. The second-round rookie nabbed three catches for a game-high 95 yards before exiting.

Source: Alden Gonzalez on Twitter 

Sep 17 - 6:37 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Gerald Everett was not targeted in Week 3 against the 49ers.

He entered Week 3 as the leading rookie for receiving yards, but a 69-yard reception last week is the main reason. Everett isn't running enough routes or getting enough snaps to be counted on in re-draft leagues .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That second TD last night was quite impressive. With the absence of Kupp, his red zone usage, and the wasteland at TE this year, this kid may be a viable low end starter the rest of the way. I know Higbee has more targets and is solid in his own right, but this kid looks like he could be special. Remember, they invested a 2nd round pick on him last year. I’m feeling good about him, as his role continues to grow in this high octane offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Gerald Everett caught 3-of-4 targets for 49 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 11 win over the Chiefs.

Everett now has three touchdowns and a two-point conversion over his last three games and is seeing increased reps in the absence of Cooper Kupp, who is out for the year with a torn ACL. Everett scored a seven-yard touchdown midway through the fourth quarter to put the Rams up 47-44, and then he caught a 40-yard bomb down the right sideline less than eight minutes later to put the Rams back on top 54-51. His four targets were fifth on the team, but he's become a red-zone presence and will be a fringe TE1 streamer Week 13 at the Lions after the bye.

Nov 20 - 12:56 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 3:02 AM, FGITLOTR said:

That second TD last night was quite impressive. With the absence of Kupp, his red zone usage, and the wasteland at TE this year, this kid may be a viable low end starter the rest of the way. I know Higbee has more targets and is solid in his own right, but this kid looks like he could be special. Remember, they invested a 2nd round pick on him last year. I’m feeling good about him, as his role continues to grow in this high octane offense. 

That's pretty much how I see it. Higbee is solid but not a game changer and unlikely to be a core player for a FF team. 

Everett has the chance to be among the best TEs going forward, for a while. 

Full disclosure, I have Everett on most of my teams so I'm biased, but he's on my teams because he has the raw talent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everett still only played 29% of snaps against KC. I have been a fan of his in dynasty, but I still have him behind a lot of guys for redraft.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ZWK said:

Everett still only played 29% of snaps against KC. I have been a fan of his in dynasty, but I still have him behind a lot of guys for redraft.

Point taken.  But seems worth a flyer weekly when your TEs are pretty much streamed trash.

Interesting that Higbee played 74%.  Wonder if he was mostly blocking.

Edited by C-Bound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C-Bound said:

Point taken.  But seems worth a flyer weekly when your TEs are pretty much streamed trash.

Interesting that Higbee played 74%.  Wonder if he was mostly blocking.

Great question and I’m wondering the same 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PFF has Everett as a top 5 graded TE on the season (along with Howard, Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz). Although the grade is per snap, and on average those guys have played more than 3x as many snaps as Everett.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ZWK said:

PFF has Everett as a top 5 graded TE on the season (along with Howard, Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz). Although the grade is per snap, and on average those guys have played more than 3x as many snaps as Everett.

Wow—that’s some pretty good company. Off the top of my head, I think I own him in every one of my leagues—it’s nice to read this.

I know you’ve been high on Everett and can find your most recent rankings. But how do you value him relative to other positions? Or perhaps it’s easy to use rookie draft picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 12:32 AM, ZWK said:

Everett still only played 29% of snaps against KC. I have been a fan of his in dynasty, but I still have him behind a lot of guys for redraft.

Is it me or doesn't it seem the Rams don't go to their TEs much.  I don't think I would be playing any RAMS TE this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Is it me or doesn't it seem the Rams don't go to their TEs much.  I don't think I would be playing any RAMS TE this time of year.

With Kupp out, the TEs might see more targets.  Worth a shot for streaming.  I'm undecided about long term viability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Everett more than Higbee in a vacuum, but in my dyno (and I’m assuming many others) Higbee was free on the wire and Everett has been rostered since being drafted.

Obviously Everett is a strong dynasty hold but you could do worse than either of them as a flier. I just read through the Higbee thread and it sounds like folks were very high on him coming out.

on the flip side they may cannibalize each other’s production for the foreseeable future, but I’m coming around to the “just grab anyone on the rams and chiefs” philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Is it me or doesn't it seem the Rams don't go to their TEs much.  I don't think I would be playing any RAMS TE this time of year.

Way down on the pecking order there. Gurley first obviously, then all the receivers which puts him 4th at best but more likely 5th plus he's sharing time as well with Higbee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Notes and highlights from Week 2 of Rams OTAs

Excerpt:

Quote

Gerald Everett had a strong week of practice when it came to catching the ball, putting his receiving skills on display. Unsurprisingly, he was working with the first-team offense and Jared Goff.

 

 

Edited by Faust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerald "smallest hands ever"Everett. Guy is a baller, but those hands are tiny...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took this guy over Mahomes in the 2nd round of a 16 team dynasty league in 2017 :wall:

Debated for an hour which one to take........:wall:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dez said:

Took this guy over Mahomes in the 2nd round of a 16 team dynasty league in 2017 :wall:

Debated for an hour which one to take........:wall:

Same. I had pick 22 and 25. Wanted a QB, but I took Everett at 22, figuring Watson and Mahomes wouldn't both go between my picks, right?? They did. 

I know, cool story bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five takeaways from the second week of OTAs

Excerpt:

Quote

3) EVERETT EMERGING

Tight end Gerald Everett has shown plenty of signs of promise throughout his young career. But as he moves into his third season, he’s looked good throughout OTAs — particularly in the red zone.

Just this week, Everett snatched a pass over two defenders during 7-on-7 to come down with a pass in the back of the end zone. And he also caught a pass with one arm while hugging the right sideline in the end zone for another scoring-strike from Goff.

A 2017 second-round pick, Everett looked like he was headed for a breakout season this time last year, but a shoulder injury suffered in training camp set him back as Week 1 approached. He ended up with 33 receptions for 320 yards with three touchdowns in 2018.

If there’s one detail of the Rams’ high-scoring offense to nitpick over the last couple years, it’s been the unit’s execution in the red zone. If Everett can become a consistent target inside the 20-yard line, that will really set him on course to become a breakout player in 2019.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN's Lindsey Thiry calls Gerald Everett the Rams' biggest surprise offseason standout.

Everett continues to show flashes of a long-term starting tight end, but he's been fairly inconsistent in his first two NFL seasons. Last year, Everett caught 33 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns while splitting some time with Tyler Higbee. There's some breakout appeal with Everett if he can separate from Higbee more this preseason, especially given the fantasy landscape at the position, but he's more likely to remain a streamer.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jun 14, 2019, 11:23 AM ET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

Gerald Everett caught 7-of-11 targets for 136 yards in the Rams' Week 5 loss to the Seahawks.

Both the receptions and yards were easily new career bests for the third-year pro. Everett drew eight more looks than fellow tight end Tyler Higbee. Dragging tacklers, Everett was inches from a 33-yard touchdown in the third quarter but was ruled down at the one-yard line. Everett also posted gains of 22 and 30 yards. He's up to 12/180/1 over his past two games. Unfortunately, one of his missed connections was a Jared Goff "interception" that was actually an Everett drop. Either way, he's moving himself up the TE2 ladder and will have streaming appeal for Week 6 against the 49ers.

We gotta start paying attention to the TEs of the Rams. Everett is a great athlete and Rams had a lot of 2 TE sets.

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I lost Henry I picked him up hoping for this sort of usage. Of course when they hardly used him, even with Higbee out, I dropped him.  Wondering if I should blow a waiver on him this week or if this is an aberration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Truebluey said:

When I lost Henry I picked him up hoping for this sort of usage. Of course when they hardly used him, even with Higbee out, I dropped him.  Wondering if I should blow a waiver on him this week or if this is an aberration?

Depends on roster size. I actually picked him up last week, mostly just nobody better available. But didn't start him :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Truebluey said:

When I lost Henry I picked him up hoping for this sort of usage. Of course when they hardly used him, even with Higbee out, I dropped him.  Wondering if I should blow a waiver on him this week or if this is an aberration?

I picked him in his rookie draft and held him til the 2nd week this season at $2. It just didn't seem like he would ever get worked in to the play calling so I dropped him. So yeah, I won him back this week at $28. Still concerned that his big game came after Cooks went out, but he really looked good & my TE play has been less than stellar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious where he really falls now. TE is such a bell curve of a position lately where there's a clear top, some guys who find points to the middle but seem to be very inconsistent, and then guys who just hope they catch a pass or two for 10 yards.

Everett seems to find himself in that middle group now but so do a lot of the TEs people drafted maybe higher than expected; like OJ Howard on my team. TEs like TJ Hockenson also find themselves in the middle group of here and there success but with clear floors.

As noted, Everett has seemed to do his most damage in absence of Kupp last year and last night after Cooks went out.

I'm tempted to grab him, but I'm worried once the Rams WRs are all healthy that he fades again. Then again, I'm someone who owns a bunch of these middle ground guys so I'm still trying to figure out if I should grab him and expect a degree more of consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main obstacle to Everett who was the first player selected in the McVay era of the Rams has been Tyler Higbee who is a bigger TE and has a year more experience in the NFL than Everett.

Now in Everetts 3rd season in the NFL after 5 games he has been on the field for 66% of the offensive snaps. Higbee has played on 38% of the Rams snaps.

Rewind to last season and Higbee had 72% to Everetts 35% of the offensive snaps. This seems to have flipped now in Everetts favor.

Everett has 26 targets over 5 games so far which is 5.2 per game. If this continues over the whole season he is on pace for 83 targets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

I think the main obstacle to Everett who was the first player selected in the McVay era of the Rams has been Tyler Higbee who is a bigger TE and has a year more experience in the NFL than Everett.

Now in Everetts 3rd season in the NFL after 5 games he has been on the field for 66% of the offensive snaps. Higbee has played on 38% of the Rams snaps.

Rewind to last season and Higbee had 72% to Everetts 35% of the offensive snaps. This seems to have flipped now in Everetts favor.

Everett has 26 targets over 5 games so far which is 5.2 per game. If this continues over the whole season he is on pace for 83 targets.

 

Higbee missed a game with an injury, which slants the snap % for these guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, Jayded said:

I'm curious where he really falls now. TE is such a bell curve of a position lately where there's a clear top, some guys who find points to the middle but seem to be very inconsistent, and then guys who just hope they catch a pass or two for 10 yards.

Everett seems to find himself in that middle group now but so do a lot of the TEs people drafted maybe higher than expected; like OJ Howard on my team. TEs like TJ Hockenson also find themselves in the middle group of here and there success but with clear floors.

As noted, Everett has seemed to do his most damage in absence of Kupp last year and last night after Cooks went out.

I'm tempted to grab him, but I'm worried once the Rams WRs are all healthy that he fades again. Then again, I'm someone who owns a bunch of these middle ground guys so I'm still trying to figure out if I should grab him and expect a degree more of consistency.

He had 6 targets before Cooks was out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget this guy. I pick him up. He does nothing. I drop him. He blows up. No thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s still a FA in my league. No one believes. 

I believe a little if Cooks is to miss time, but with Dissly & Engram I don’t really need a TE. 

I’d be surprised if someone didn’t claim him come Tuesday night when waivers next run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Forget this guy. I pick him up. He does nothing. I drop him. He blows up. No thanks 

Keep him on the wire for me. I need a TE 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

He’s still a FA in my league. No one believes. 

I believe a little if Cooks is to miss time, but with Dissly & Engram I don’t really need a TE. 

I’d be surprised if someone didn’t claim him come Tuesday night when waivers next run. 

I own Waller and Hockenson... and Kupp. After watching the usages and Ram games I snagged him when another owner dropped him after week 3. Everett seems to earned more of the game plan and its as if both the QB and the coach now have a lot of faith in him. As much as anyone not named Kupp.

Sure looked like from the onset that they were utilizing him instead of Gurley as the "other" option, who was 68 catch / 90 target (per 16), the last two seasons. And that was while the TEs were still chipping in 50rec/80tar and the WRs were getting fed. They could easily go back to feeding Gurley though.

He's only 25 and in his 3rd year.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dawg Pound 69 said:

Higbee missed a game with an injury, which slants the snap % for these guys.

But he has still gained snaps and routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dawg Pound 69 said:

Higbee missed a game with an injury, which slants the snap % for these guys.

That's fair. Everett is still out snapping him by the same margin after returning from the injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

I own Waller and Hockenson... and Kupp. After watching the usages and Ram games I snagged him when another owner dropped him after week 3. Everett seems to earned more of the game plan and its as if both the QB and the coach now have a lot of faith in him. As much as anyone not named Kupp.

Sure looked like from the onset that they were utilizing him instead of Gurley as the "other" option, who was 68 catch / 90 target (per 16), the last two seasons. And that was while the TEs were still chipping in 50rec/80tar and the WRs were getting fed. They could easily go back to feeding Gurley though.

He's only 25 and in his 3rd year.

Could have also been a 1 game anomaly against Seattle, who’s pass rush wasn’t consistent & who’s secondary struggled with TEs all night in what looked like mismatches.

:shrug:

I agree, if his usage stays consistent he’s gonna become a solid play.  Seems like the word “if” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. 

But if I had a need I’d grab him on the chance that it’s for real - especially since the Rams are kinda pass happy lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Could have also been a 1 game anomaly against Seattle, who’s pass rush wasn’t consistent & who’s secondary struggled with TEs all night in what looked like mismatches.

:shrug:

I agree, if his usage stays consistent he’s gonna become a solid play.  Seems like the word “if” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. 

But if I had a need I’d grab him on the chance that it’s for real - especially since the Rams are kinda pass happy lately. 

Agreed.   He did have 8 targets the week before though. And watching the first 3 games it just seemed like he was getting routes over the RBs. The opportunity looked good from an "eye test" position.

Our difference may get skewed by our leagues and vantage points, however. My main league is 16 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.