What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Ole Miss pro day: Chad Kelly misses chance to impress

Excerpt:

2. Engram looks strong. Both NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock and analyst Daniel Jeremiah see Ole Miss TE Evan Engram as a first-round possibility, though the second round is the more likely scenario. Mayock attended the Rebels' workout, and came away with a strong impression.

"He's a matchup nightmare, caught everything today, highly impressive," Mayock said.

Engram could be a strong second-round fit for the Jacksonville Jaguars, who traded TE Julius Thomas to the Miami Dolphins in February, per Jeremiah.

Last edited by a moderator:
MTS notebook: Jamal Adams is top prospect in 2017 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Ole Miss TE Evan Engram: I believe Engram is one of the most explosive players in the draft class. He primarily lines up flexed out in the Ole Miss offense, basically functioning as a slot receiver. While he shows some competitiveness as a blocker, I don't think he'll ever be a dominant in-line player in the run game. Why not just convert him to receiver? He ran a 4.42-second 40-yard dash while weighing 234 pounds! If he dropped to 225 pounds, you're probably looking at a player with mid-4.3 speed on a 6-foot-3 frame. He already runs pristine routes from the slot. He could start out there before eventually kicking outside. This is something teams should consider.

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah writes that Ole Miss TE Evan Engram "has entered into the discussion [as a Day 1 pick]."

One NFL executive who spoke with Jeremiah believes that Engram has had the strongest draft process of any player this winter/spring. Said that executive of the 6-foot-3, 243-pounder, "He answered every concern people had about him. People questioned his blocking in the fall. Well, he goes to the Senior Bowl and shows tremendous improvement. Any questions about route running and speed were answered [in Indianapolis]." We wouldn't say that Engram has completely eliminated all questions about his blocking, but on the speed front, yessir. The Ole Miss standout destroyed the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds during Combine testing. We still see a second- or third-round selection as most realistic for Engram. 
Mar 29 - 3:55 PM

Source: NFL.com

Ole Miss TE Evan Engram led all tight ends in this draft class in yards per route, deep pass receptions, slot receptions and slot yards.

Engram is a smooth move-TE who is more pass-game chess piece than complete tight end. If he can improve his blocking, Engram is going to be a Draft Day steal. "Expect to see plenty of him in the slot at the next level and it will be his blocking that will determine whether he can force defensive coordinators to respect him enough in the run game to dictate favorable matchups on offense," wrote Steve Palazzolo. At the NFL Combine, Engram led the tight end field with a 4.42s 40-yard dash. 

Mar 28 - 3:40 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

One NFL scout compares Ole Miss TE Evan Engram to former Saints WR Marques Colston.

"Not as fast or quick-footed as Marques but more of a big slot receiver," he said. "He could probably be 245 but he’ll never be a point-of-attack guy. He’ll have to be a back-side flex guy if you want to get any kind of production out of him." At the NFL Combine, Engram led the tight end field in the 40-yard dash with a 4.42. "He’s a receiving tight end, not an in-line blocker," another scout said. "He can play slot. Smooth athlete, good speed. This is where the modern-day offense is going." Pro Football Focus likens Engram to Miami Dolphins TE Joseph Duarte.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Pro Football Focus compared Ole Miss TE Evan Engram to Miami Dolphins TE Joseph Duarte.
"Duarte entered the draft process in a very similar position to Engram, viewed as someone in-between a wide receiver and a tight end," notes the PFF analysis team, who sees the 6-foot-3, 234-pound Ole Miss product as a potentially "useful chess piece in the receiving game" when matched against linebackers and safeties. They do offer a word of caution on Engram, though, writing that he "offers little as a blocker" and could have issues staying on the field early in his career due to this deficiency.

Source: Pro Football Focus

MMQB's Albert Breer says Ole Miss TE Evan Engram reminds him of Aaron Hernandez on the field "as a guy with good hands who can run well up the seam."

"Engram flashes the ability to create mismatch opportunities and also huge yards-after-catch potential," wrote Emily Kaplan. The 6-foot-3, 236-pound Engram had 65 catches for 926 yards (14.3 per catch) and eight touchdowns last season.

Source: MMQB

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline noted that Ole Miss TE Evan Engram "looked terrific [during Wednesday's Senior Bowl practice] in all aspects of the tight end position."

"He was strong and dominant in blocking drills, ran solid routes and made several nice catches in the deep field," Pauline writes. He believes that the 6-foot-3, 227-pounder is beginning to make his mark even in a strong class of tight ends and "could end up as one of the steals of Day 2." Engram is coming off a breakout 2016 season in which he caught 65 passes for 926 yards and an octet of touchdowns.

Source: Draft Analyst

Draftwire's Luke Easterling projects Ole Miss TE Evan Engram as a Day 2 pick and says Engram made a good decision to return to school this past season.

Easterling's report comes in response to Engram having told Rotoworld's Josh Norris that he received some sixth-round projections after the 2015 season. Engram returned to school after hearing the tepid feedback. "Trust me, I wanted to leave last year," Engram told Rotoworld. "Before I talked with anybody, before I talked with coaches I had my mind set on leaving. And when the feedback came in ... a lot of teams had me in the sixth round. ... I didn't like the answer at first, but it definitely paid off." The 6-foot-3, 227-pounder now looks like a Day 2 prospect. "Engram is at his best as a receiving option, but he does not receive the credit he deserves for being willing and at least adequate when blocking on the edge," Norris wrote. Opined Easterling: "Engram is a dynamic pass-catcher with the athleticism to frustrate opposing defenses who don’t know how to adequately define or defend him."

Source: Draftwire

Man I was hoping I would score this guy in the 2nd/3rd of all my leagues the way he was flying so under the radar back in January.  Forget that now.  I have 1.10 in a TE premium and he's my projection with that pick now.

Man I was hoping I would score this guy in the 2nd/3rd of all my leagues the way he was flying so under the radar back in January.  Forget that now.  I have 1.10 in a TE premium and he's my projection with that pick now.
Not a guy I would want to miss out on being cute. In that format I could see taking him higher than that (if necessary).

A lot of Fantasy owner including me were disappointed that he and Howard were going back to school and not entering the NFL draft last year. He's been on the Radar for some time now.

Tex

A lot of Fantasy owner including me were disappointed that he and Howard were going back to school and not entering the NFL draft last year. He's been on the Radar for some time now.

Tex
For those of us active year round and watching college players develop, obviously.  For the other 90% of dynasty owners that pick up their first rookie rankings somewhere around April each year, not so much.  There was a real chance we got a huge bargain until people opened their yaps with what we already knew.

Especially given how meh this rookie class is. 
I'm guessing your joking about this?

The 2017 draft class is not as strong as people have been talking about it being a year or so ago. I still think it is pretty strong at the RB position just that the WR position isn't all that great in my opinion.

This draft class reminds me of 2013 except there will be a couple 1st round RB selected I think. The TE are better in 2017 than 2013 and 2013 had  Eifert, Kelce, Reed. I considered the 2013 draft a bit meh at he time (due to no 1st round RB picks) but that draft ended up being pretty good. 

FWIW I have Engram ranked 5th overall in this draft and ahead of OJ howard for fantasy.

eta - just looking at this recent draft which I assume is full of tuned in owners as they are drafting prior to the NFL draft. Engram was selected at 2.04 

I'm guessing your joking about this?

The 2017 draft class is not as strong as people have been talking about it being a year or so ago. I still think it is pretty strong at the RB position just that the WR position isn't all that great in my opinion.

This draft class reminds me of 2013 except there will be a couple 1st round RB selected I think. The TE are better in 2017 than 2013 and 2013 had  Eifert, Kelce, Reed. I considered the 2013 draft a bit meh at he time (due to no 1st round RB picks) but that draft ended up being pretty good. 

FWIW I have Engram ranked 5th overall in this draft and ahead of OJ howard for fantasy.

eta - just looking at this recent draft which I assume is full of tuned in owners as they are drafting prior to the NFL draft. Engram was selected at 2.04 
The TEs this year are great and the top 3 RBs are exciting. I really like Davis. However there isn't much depth at RB and there's a real lack of #1 WRs. I'm not a big dynasty guy but this draft is all about defense.

The last four or so drafts have all been strong on defense, so I am not really seeing that as being different than recent years. I do think the defensive talent has been good enough recently that NFL defenses may be gaining some ground on the offenses. What is exceptional about this draft class is the quality of players at the safety position. This group is stronger at that position than the past few years.

2013 was talked about as a meat and potatos draft as it had several highly rated offensive linemen. I think most of these players didn't meet expectations, but as a group I would say the 2013 offensive linemen players were more highly regarded than this year. Now this could be interpreted as the 2013 draft wasn't all that good, thus pushing the offensive linemen up. I think it was a bit of both, but the offensive linemen in 2017 do not look as promising as 2013 did.

I had Travis Kelce and Jordan Reed ranked pretty high in 2013 and the way I saw it was the other skill positions were not all that great. You had Cordarralle Patterson ranked as the top WR from that draft ( :X ) Hopkins and Allen were the two main WR that I think should have been considered at the top of peoples lists. Percy Harvin had a good season prior to this draft and teams seemed to be very enamored with this style of player following that. Tavon Austin was the highest drafted WR by the Rams that year. Almost all fantasy rankings had Patterson as the best of these four. Keenan Allen fell to the 3rd round which kind of knocked him out of being the top WR.

In terms of relative talent as prospects I can see Davis = Allen Hopkins = Mike Williams, Samuel and Henderson would be Patterson//Austin. There were some other WR like Robert Woods and so on who could be comparable to WR of the 2017 draft class.

I guess it depends on what you think of the other RB (I think there is a top four although I do not like Mixon as much as others) after the top 3. I like Perine and Foreman quite a bit and I can see Kamara panning out in a passing RB role but his landing spot will be pretty important. He is a guy who might end up only being a COP and I might have him too high. Just everything I have seen has him drafted pretty high. Kamara is a guy I may have too high because of that. I could see him being a successful fantasy player though.

The TEs this year are great and the top 3 RBs are exciting. I really like Davis. However there isn't much depth at RB and there's a real lack of #1 WRs. I'm not a big dynasty guy but this draft is all about defense.
Not much depth at RB? I think this is one of the deepest RB classes in years. I see a half dozen guys who will be the top RB on their teams within a year or so. Last year there wasn't much depth, or the Bishop Sankey year.

Not much depth at RB? I think this is one of the deepest RB classes in years. I see a half dozen guys who will be the top RB on their teams within a year or so. Last year there wasn't much depth, or the Bishop Sankey year.
The Sankey year was bad but I'm just not seeing all the excitement for the depth of RBs this year.

The Sankey year was bad but I'm just not seeing all the excitement for the depth of RBs this year.
With the exception of 2013 and 2015 (jury stilll out on 2016) you'd be hard pressed to get two really good to great running backs out of any draft. Considering the avg running back lasts 2.7yrs in the NFL I generally keep a 6 year tab on back to gauge my odds on drafting a decent running back. The bust rate is really high.

I said that to say this: I disagree, this draft is equal to any other draft class outside of the two I've mentioned. Hell, it might have 4 or 5 potential studs but that's unlikely but it's definitely possible. It most certainly have backs that can make an immediate impact.

Tex

The jury is still out on last year. Let's see what happens after this season.

Tex

I see the next vernon davis with this kid, have to think wherever he ends up is going to be a spot that is prepared to use him with the skill set he has. I doubt itll be a normal rookie TE situation where they have a tough time getting on the field due to the learning curve of blocking in the NFL.

In one of my TE premium leagues I have 2,4,7,13,15 , Im going to make an effort to grab him

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Ole Miss TE Evan Engram could "sneak" into the first round.
Engram wouldn't exactly be sneaking, as he's been billed as a potential late first-rounder since early in the draft process. Engram is generally considered an exceptionally strong tight end class' No. 3 player behind O.J. Howard and David Njoku. Engram is a dynamic pass catcher with 4.42 speed, but isn't exactly honed at the finer points of one of football's most difficult positions.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 4:32 PM

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

New York Giants: Evan Engram, TE – Engram has question as a blocker, but when it comes to the passing game, he’s among the best. He does need work in route running and separation, but he can line up wide and is already a quality receiver. As mentioned with Howard, tight ends rarely make a Fantasy impact as a rookie, but Engram has the potential to hit low-end TE1 status in a high-powered offense, as the Giants look to give Eli Manning one more shot at a title. Brandon Marshall is going to command a lot of red zone looks though with Odell Beckham being Odell Beckham. Engram might have the TE1 total at year’s end but have weekly inconsistency similar to John Ross at receiver.

Giants selected Ole Miss TE Evan Engram with the No. 23 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Engram (6’3/234) was a four-year starter at Ole Miss, amassing 162 catches for 2,320 yards (14.3 YPR) and 15 touchdowns while earning All-SEC honors in all four seasons and first-team recognition from the conference’s coaches as a senior. He demonstrated wideout-level athleticism in Indy with a 4.42 forty and 6.92 three-cone time. Although Engram was listed at tight end in college, he was used as a slot receiver, H-back, and in-motion flanker on most snaps and was almost a complete non-factor as a blocker. Engram’s size and blocking deficiencies make him best fit for a "big slot" role. Rotoworld’s Josh Norris has compared him to Jordan Reed. Engram addresses a major need for the G-Men, adding yet another big-bodied pass-catching weapon to their offense.

Any concerns that down the road his position might change from TE to WR and have that hurt his value?

Any concerns that down the road his position might change from TE to WR and have that hurt his value?
It's a valid concern, and one that very well could come true, but I would have had Engram ranked as the #3 WR in this draft if that was what he was classified as. The Giants and Eli can support multiple WRs and the running game still looks like it's going to be mediocre to me for the foreseeable future. 

It would definitely impact his value for fantasy in a negative way if he were designated as a WR. I do not think that will every happen though.

From the article Faust posted above:

Vice President of Player Evaluation Marc Ross basically came out and said they will not use Engram as an in-line blocker. He’s a big wide receiver they will move around and try to create mismatches with. He’ll be called a tight end, but that’s just a clerical thing.

It's funny reading the blurbs- "he could sneak into the first round but rd 2-3 is more likely", said quite a few times by different outlets, then the last one-"he's been projected as a late first since early in the draft process". Sorry roto, everyone was saying that and you guys kept denying it. Like the blurbs to keep tabs on player movement but their takes are left to be desired.

It would definitely impact his value for fantasy in a negative way if he were designated as a WR. I do not think that will every happen though.

From the article Faust posted above:
I just wanted to bring it up because I think it's something to consider if you are drafting your future tight end. Factor it in as little or as much as you would like.

He's a TE that creates mismatches for LBs and DBs there's absolutely no reason to change that especially if you really believe he a younger Reed.

How many times in the last 10 years have we seen a TE changed to WR?

During their Draft presser they said they would use him the same way Ole Miss did. His position will not change. Draft him, light on up and smile.

Tex

For our purposes though, what the Giants do is irrelevant.  What matters is what Rotoworld or ESPN or OurLads decides to list him as.

Recall the flap over the Packers' redesignating Ty Montgomery last year?  It was mainly over various fantasy hosting services being unwilling (or willing) to change his designation.  Similarly, if you play IDP, you've doubtless had the experience of some 3-4 LB suddenly becoming a DE on league sites (or vice versa) without any announcement from the player's team at all.

Warhogs said:
Not saying it cannot happen but, other than I think Tim Wright, how often does this fall that way?

A ways back but I think the first guy that comes to mind is Colston who was a TE his first year then a WR.  In the day, there was talk of Jermichael Finley maybe being classified as a WR because of the % of snaps he lined up as a WR. I'm not saying this should be a huge concern but if you have two TE prospects ranked the same it might be a tie breaker?

A ways back but I think the first guy that comes to mind is Colston who was a TE his first year then a WR.  In the day, there was talk of Jermichael Finley maybe being classified as a WR because of the % of snaps he lined up as a WR. I'm not saying this should be a huge concern but if you have two TE prospects ranked the same it might be a tie breaker?
Yep.  It's why Njoku still edges out Engram on my board...

I was one of the lucky people who landed Colston as a rookie (he cost me a lot IIRC) and he was designated a WR right away. I think the only leagues that kept him at TE were yahoo.

Users who are viewing this thread