What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (5 Viewers)

Evan Engram caught 6-of-9 targets for 46 yards in the Giants' Week 7 loss to the Eagles, adding two rushes for three additional yards. 

It was a brutal, brutal night for the 26-year-old, as he was the cause of Daniel Jones' second quarter interception by batting the ball up in the air. That was just a warmup for what would come with 2:09 remaining in the game, where Engram dropped a sure first down on a 3rd-and-7, one that would have functionally allowed the G-Men to end the game. It was the continuation of a brutal year for the should-be TE1, one that has seen him held below 50 yards six times in seven games. There has been loose trade chatter, but Engram's value is sitting at an all-time low ahead of next week's showdown with the Cowboys. Despite tonight's mistakes, Engram's target counts and the Cowboys' defensive permissiveness will keep him in the top 16 at tight end. 

Oct 22, 2020, 11:44 PM ET

I feel like he really wants to be anywhere but the giants.  Each game seems like a "business decision" of not really trying.

If you haven't dropped him by now, you probably should. 
he had 9 targets today.  Actually a decent statline in PPR and TE Premium leagues.  Maybe not startable for everyone, but will be for some people who got hit with TE injuries. 

He's 4th in Tight End receptions this year so far. (will drop a bit once everyone else plays this week)

he had 9 targets today.  Actually a decent statline in PPR and TE Premium leagues.  Maybe not startable for everyone, but will be for some people who got hit with TE injuries. 

He's 4th in Tight End receptions this year so far. (will drop a bit once everyone else plays this week)
I get what you're saying. He still looks the part out there. He's fast and looks like he could make a big play any time. Not a lot of TEs have that potential. He gets a good amount targets.

Still, in my 0.5 PPR he still hasn't broken double digits once. Whe he does run a route downfield he drops it, like last night. All these targets aren't resulting in much production at all. 

I'm ready to watch him be someone else's headache. 

Garrett's offense looks awful this year, just really bad and outdated, even before the Barkley injury.

Not really liking Engram's 2020 prospects, even with how thin TE always is. He gets maybe one target a game at the seam, everything else is screens/curls/handoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Will probably have a useful game or two from here on out, but I want nothing to do with this offense this year.

I get what you're saying. He still looks the part out there. He's fast and looks like he could make a big play any time. Not a lot of TEs have that potential. He gets a good amount targets.

Still, in my 0.5 PPR he still hasn't broken double digits once. Whe he does run a route downfield he drops it, like last night. All these targets aren't resulting in much production at all. 

I'm ready to watch him be someone else's headache. 
It's all relative to who your other options are.  If you drop him, that means you have 1-2 top 15 TE's already, so that's fine. 

If you have deep benches or TE premium or are hurting at TE, Engram is a definite hold and maybe even a start still.

I started him in several leagues last night an have no regrets, with most of those leagues TE premium. The drop was massively unfortunate for him and the Giants but I thought it was the best he was used all year.

Hearing his name crop up often in trade talks, a lot of people seem to think he's available. In dynasty I would not mind but for sure not what I want in redraft, can't imagine a TE switching teams in midseason is overly ideal. I guess if he got to NE I'd not mind to much just out of trust in the staff, but in a perfect world he'd finish out the year with Giants and get moved in the off-season.

Yes I was holding on due to the targets as well and potential ceiling vs waiver wire options. But when you break it down, he's only averaging 5yds per target. An elite TE should be averaging 8-10yds per target. He also has the most drops of any TE since 2017. They have him blocking more (even though he's not good at it) and running almost zero deep routes. He checks all of the wrong boxes right now and so does the Giants coaching staff. 

Yes I was holding on due to the targets as well and potential ceiling vs waiver wire options. But when you break it down, he's only averaging 5yds per target. An elite TE should be averaging 8-10yds per target. He also has the most drops of any TE since 2017. They have him blocking more (even though he's not good at it) and running almost zero deep routes. He checks all of the wrong boxes right now and so does the Giants coaching staff. 
I never said anything about Elite.  He is definitely not elite.  But he isn't droppable like you say for a lot of teams who don't have a healthy top 10 TE.

Garrett's offense looks awful this year, just really bad and outdated, even before the Barkley injury.

Not really liking Engram's 2020 prospects, even with how thin TE always is. He gets maybe one target a game at the seam, everything else is screens/curls/handoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Will probably have a useful game or two from here on out, but I want nothing to do with this offense this year.
This. 

I never said anything about Elite.  He is definitely not elite.  But he isn't droppable like you say for a lot of teams who don't have a healthy top 10 TE.
I think he is borderline elite TE. He really started to look good in the second half of 2018 and early 2019 (which is what you would expect from a TE in year 3) and then got hurt again. 

He's clearly in a slump and the coaching staff sucks. I'm selling. 

Selling is okay (if you miraculously find a buyer)  Your first post suggested people should drop him though.
Yes to clarify, by sell I mean drop. I would straight drop him right now for a bag of balls. Now if he miraculously gets traded in real life, that's a different story. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to clarify, by sell I mean drop. I would straight drop him right now for a bag of balls. Now if he miraculously gets traded in real life, that's a different story. 
Again, maybe in your league.  In a deep bench league like mine, where I own Ertz, Engram is not only undroppable, he's likely my best option to start.

Yes true. That said, I dropped him for Logan Thomas. It would have been Austin Hooper but he's out. 
I have the likes of Gesicki or Trey Burton available, dropped bc they were on byes i guess. Think ill go for one of them if they're available on waivers. Unfortunately Engram is locked in my lineup so I can't drop him now. Still, it feels like an exercise in futility. As much as I detest him, none of these guys on waivers come close to his upside.

I have the likes of Gesicki or Trey Burton available, dropped bc they were on byes i guess. Think ill go for one of them if they're available on waivers. Unfortunately Engram is locked in my lineup so I can't drop him now
I wouldn't drop EE for Burton.  Maybe for Gesicki.

I'm inclined to agree. Which is how I keep ending up here each week. 😁
The good news is EE's opportunities are there.  Once targets go below 5 a game is when I start to worry.  I mean if you have other options I would not start him, but many many leagues don't have top 12 options sitting around

EDT:  He's still averaging over 6 targets a game and has some juicy matchups after his bye.  I'm holding on my bench if you have the room.

The good news is EE's opportunities are there.  Once targets go below 5 a game is when I start to worry.  I mean if you have other options I would not start him, but many many leagues don't have top 12 options sitting around

EDT:  He's still averaging over 6 targets a game and has some juicy matchups after his bye.  I'm holding on my bench if you have the room.
I had relegated him to the bench and was content to see how things played out until Tonyan turned his ankle. Had to make a decision too early with the Thursday night game. The numbers say hold, but the bad feelings are strong with this one.

Still, as bad as he's been, he's still probably going to produce what a dart throw waiver TE would, and none have his upside. I'd prefer to find someone in my league who is a league-equivalent to Siberia and ship him there for a kicker. Or anything. But it's probably the wrong move.

Guess I'll be back in this thread next week. 😁

I had relegated him to the bench and was content to see how things played out until Tonyan turned his ankle. Had to make a decision too early with the Thursday night game. The numbers say hold, but the bad feelings are strong with this one.

Still, as bad as he's been, he's still probably going to produce what a dart throw waiver TE would, and none have his upside. I'd prefer to find someone in my league who is a league-equivalent to Siberia and ship him there for a kicker. Or anything. But it's probably the wrong move.

Tonyan = you have a much better option than almost anyone else who is in this predicament. 

No reason to drop him at all if you have no better options.  Again, all this "should I drop player X" COMPLETELY depends on your roster and league. 

I can totally see short bench leagues dropping Engram fully.  No question.  In one of my leagues, I'm starting him.  There's 34 Tight Ends owned in that league... it would be nuts to drop him there.

Their have been 'whispers' that the Giants will or should deal him so I tried to find teams where it would make sense and I could not find any 'perfect' fits but one team intrigues me even though they primarily run 3-wide sets.  

Cincinnati.

They got crap at TE and don't use them because the offense revolves around wide receivers but Evan is 'like' a WR so if they had him on the field with another TE they could split him and still run their base 3-wide WR set.  

I'm convinced the guy has talent.  He came into this season ranked 7th overall at the TE spot, he's done it before. 

Joe Burrow with a young TE and those young WRs going forward? 

Bengals lack vision and are risk averse/rarely make trades and it is unlikely but Engram to Nati intrigues me. 

What other possible trades 'make-sense' because I've heard 'rumors' the G-Men have others on the table with whispers of Engram.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports teams have reached out to the Giants about acquiring Evan Engram. 

Per Raanan, the Giants "view Engram as part of their future" despite the team's struggles to get Engram involved in the offense this season. League sources told Raanan that Engram would likely fetch a third or fourth round draft pick. Head coach Joe Judge has spoken positively about Engram in recent interviews. "We're going to keep giving him the ball, keep making him the focal point of our offense, and we expect him to keep showing up," Judge said after Engram's back-breaking dropped pass against the Eagles in Week 7. It was the first time the Giants targeted Engram more than 20 yards down the field this season. It's unlikely the Giants will part with the tight end unless a team comes up with an offer they can't turn down.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 26, 2020, 1:08 PM ET

Jordan Raanan@JordanRaanan

Evan Engram is NOT expected to be traded.

Other teams have called, but he's not being shopped.

The Giants view him as an explosive offensive weapon that is part of their future, even though it hasn't clicked yet this season. #Giants #NFL

Pip's Invitation said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Jordan Raanan@JordanRaanan

Evan Engram is NOT expected to be traded.

Other teams have called, but he's not being shopped.

The Giants view him as an explosive offensive weapon that is part of their future, even though it hasn't clicked yet this season. #Giants #NFL
The only explosive offensive weapons in North Jersey these days are burrito sharts.
Per Giants saying Engram not being shopped.

March 2018

Giants GM won't say OBJ off trade block, but 'you don't quit on talent'

ORLANDO, Fla. -- New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman on Tuesday addressed the swirl of speculation around star receiver Odell Beckham Jr...

... Giants co-owner John Mara ...  

...  "He's not on the block," Mara said later Tuesday. "Is that going to stop clubs from possibly calling us? No. But he's not on the block. We're not shopping him around."

Would love to see him on another team.  Think he instantly starts putting in more effort when he leaves the black hole that is north jersey.
Its possible, but I think there is a lot of reason to assume than Engram just isn't very good. Like, he's a great athlete, but he's very mistake prone, both as a receiver and a blocker. Maybe he gets it together ala Jared Cook, but I feel like the offense has never really missed him when he's been gone.

Exactly. Teams never reveal publicly that they are trying to trade a guy. That might mess with the head of the player and maybe some of his teammates, and could screw things up on the field and in the locker room if they can’t make a deal. I never believe a team when they declare they won’t trade a player. I don’t assume he’s getting traded, but I don’t assume he’s not getting traded.

Its possible, but I think there is a lot of reason to assume than Engram just isn't very good. Like, he's a great athlete, but he's very mistake prone, both as a receiver and a blocker. Maybe he gets it together ala Jared Cook, but I feel like the offense has never really missed him when he's been gone.
He's been injured a lot which I think can account for some of his mistakes.  That's not exactly a positive though.

Evan Engram caught 5-of-10 targets for 61 yards in the Giants' Week 8 loss to the Bucs.

The 10 targets matched a season-high, and the 61 yards were Engram's second-most of the year. It's been a first eight weeks to mostly forget for Engram, who has yet to catch a touchdown. He gets a decent Week 9 draw against Washington.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:55 PM ET

Giants TE Evan Engram has the third most targets among tight ends this season. 

Travis Kelce and Darren Waller are the only tight ends with more targets through Week 8, which might come as a shock to Engram drafters who have stared longingly at waiver wire tight ends for much of the past two months. You'd think having the third most targets among tight ends and running the third most pass routes would make Engram a solid fantasy producer. You would be wrong. He's the TE16 after eight weeks. But in most leagues, you won't find a better waiver option. 

Nov 3, 2020, 11:02 AM ET

Back to back double digit games- that’s promising. 3rd in targets on the season- again, promising. I feel like the law of averages is bound to catch up here and he starts performing rest of season. Not sure what to think. Very disappointing first 6 games or so. The last two haven’t been great but certainly not bad

You Know Who I Am said:
Back to back double digit games- that’s promising. 3rd in targets on the season- again, promising. I feel like the law of averages is bound to catch up here and he starts performing rest of season. Not sure what to think. Very disappointing first 6 games or so. The last two haven’t been great but certainly not bad
I pick up a TE off the trash heap and hope for a TD every week and always fail. This week I pick Engram. So, I would not start him this week if I were you.

You Know Who I Am said:
I thought he got in the end zone on Monday night but they didn't review the play.

All of the Giants beat reports say that the organization view him as a piece for the Giants future. They are trying to get the ball in his hands, maybe he starts producing

I pick up a TE off the trash heap and hope for a TD every week and always fail. This week I pick Engram. So, I would not start him this week if I were you.
Well, I will counter by saying I was finally able to rid myself of Engram last week, and now my opponent is going to start him against me. I'm due to have it come back and bite me for how much trash I talked about him to my league mates. You can feel better now 😁

Well, I will counter by saying I was finally able to rid myself of Engram last week, and now my opponent is going to start him against me. I'm due to have it come back and bite me for how much trash I talked about him to my league mates. You can feel better now 😁
I lost because I started Goedert last week and dropped Jared Cook. My opponent now has Jared Cook. So I may be in the same boat as you.

Evan Engram caught 2-of-3 targets for 15 yards in the Giants' Week 10 win over the Eagles.

Engram had been heating up with target totals of nine, 10, and 10 until Sunday's dud. His 11% target share in Week 10 is a reminder of how inconsistent Engram has been all year long. On top of his own inconsistency, Engram also plays in an offense that is very hot and cold. Fantasy managers will need a fill-in for Week 11 with the Giants on a bye. Engram will return as a low-end TE1 against the Bengals two weeks from now.

- Rotoworld

Disappointed as I went back to him this week with his role being so consistent with targets.  No so much this week.

Evan Engram caught 6-of-9 targets for 129 yards in the Giants' Week 12 win over the Bengals, also losing a fumble. 

The biggest chunk of Engram's yardage came on an early first quarter third down where Daniel Jones spotted a mismatch for a 53-yard gain. Engram's biggest mistake came at the end of an 18-yard rumble in the second quarter, where he lost his balance and let the ball get punched out from behind. It was a little bit of everything for one of 2020's most inconsistent players today, though the 129 yards were easily a new season high. Engram has now reached nine targets in four of his past five games, firmly restoring him to every-week TE1 status. Of course, Daniel Jones (hamstring) is now looking doubtful for next week's showdown with the Seahawks. Engram will still be a top-12 option if Colt McCoy gets the call.

- Rotoworld

Evan Engram had 107 air yards against the Bengals, the most among tight ends in Week 12. 

We've seen a marked change in how the Giants have used their athletic, play making tight end. Daniel Jones hit Engram on a deep ball early in Week 12's game against the Bengals -- Engram ended the game with six catches for 129 yards. Engram on the season has averaged a meager 6.4 air yards per target. That number has jumped to 10.4 air yards per target over New York's past two games. Whether that continues with Colt McCoy under center is anyone's guess. 

Nov 30, 2020, 9:44 AM ET

Evan Engram is considered questionable for Week 15 against the Browns after being added to the injury report with a calf injury. 

Engram's status for Sunday night is now very much in doubt. Giants TE Kaden Smith, who played in Engram's place late last year, is also questionable with a knee injury. Smith could shape up as a desperation streamer this week against Cleveland if Engram is sidelined with the calf issue. Both Engram and Smith missing Week 15 would make Levine Toilolo the only healthy tight end on New York's roster. 

RELATED: 

Levine Toilolo

, Kaden Smith

SOURCE: Tom Rock on Twitter 

Dec 18, 2020, 2:25 PM ET

Damn, I just convinced myself that Engram was a better start than Goedart, well at least I'm only going up against Waller :(   ....

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Giants TE Evan Engram (calf, questionable) is expected to play in Week 15 against the Browns.

Engram will be catching passes from Colt McCoy, who is filling in for an injured Daniel Jones. That undoubtedly lowers his floor in Week 15. He caught 4-of-8 targets for 32 scoreless yards with McCoy under center in Week 13. He moves down to the border of TE1 and TE2 status with this news.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 8:17 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread