What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Mayer - The Search for Everything (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I'll catch some flack for this, because dudes in here only like Primus or Skullface or whatever, and the rest of the dudes like Radiohead (I love Radiohead, but not just Radiohead), and it's good shtick to bust on Mayer, but this is a really great album.  From a songwriting perspective.  Just great stuff.

I really dug the first two "Waves" of four songs each and the way he released it in chunks.  Actually kind of wish artists did this all the time.  Four songs at a time for a month or two really gives you a chance to sink your teeth into the songs in pieces.  The rest of the album was rolled out in the last day or two, and it's pretty great.

Anyway, for any other closet ghays I mean guys who like good music, new album is out, worth a listen.

TIA - won't answer yours about MessiahBuster or whatever.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean this nearly as snarkily as it's going to seem, but it makes PERFECT sense that you're into John Mayer. But I've attended at least 150 Skullface shows so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll catch some flack for this, because dudes in here only like Primus of Skullface or whatever, and the rest of the dudes like Radiohead (I love Radiohead, but not just Radiohead), and it's good shtick to bust on Mayer, but this is a really great album.  From a songwriting perspective.  Just great stuff.

I really dug the first two "Waves" of four songs each and the way he released it in chunks.  Actually kind of wish artists did this all the time.  Four songs at a time for a month or two really gives you a chance to sink your teeth into the songs in pieces.  The rest of the album was rolled out in the last day or two, and it's pretty great.

Anyway, for any other closet ghays I mean guys who like good music, new album is out, worth a listen.

:hifive:

I'll catch some flack for this, because dudes in here only like Primus of Skullface or whatever, and the rest of the dudes like Radiohead (I love Radiohead, but not just Radiohead), and it's good shtick to bust on Mayer, but this is a really great album.  From a songwriting perspective.  Just great stuff.

I'm with you GB. Serious talent.

Best guitarist I have ever seen.  EVER! Jimmy Page or Slash are fighing for number two.  I never saw Jack White though.

Best guitarist I have ever seen.  EVER! Jimmy Page or Slash are fighing for number two.  I never saw Jack White though.
I've seen him live and he's good. But he wouldn't crack the top ten of guitarists I've seen live. 

Competency is his core competency.
I graduated from the same HS 3 years before him. His dad was the dean. The school and the whole town was that understated yet snobby Connecticut not trying too hard but we still have a stick up our asses type of place. He's a pretty good musician but I just can't separate the Fairfield from him, and maybe that's unfair.

Excited to see him in June at Fenway Park with Dead & Company.

His solo stuff is catchy, bluesy pop songs...nothing wrong with it.

I've seen him live and he's good. But he wouldn't crack the top ten of guitarists I've seen live. 
I don't mean this as a dig but how is someone able to tell if a particular guitarist is the greatest or one of the greatest from a live show?

Speed of fingers? How well they play their own songs? Do they get guitar challenges called out from the audience?

I don't know.  Just wondering.

I don't mean this as a dig but how is someone able to tell if a particular guitarist is the greatest or one of the greatest from a live show?

Speed of fingers? How well they play their own songs? Do they get guitar challenges called out from the audience?

How do you differentiate hot chicks from the ugly ones?

By the performance.  But my statement wasn't limited to the live performance I saw. I stated that he wasn't in the top 10 among the subset of guitarists that I have seen live. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Has nothing to do with speed. Or even technical proficiency for that matter. It's entirely a feel thing. The ability to emote. Some of the greatest guitar players ever are terrible in the context of technical proficiency, but they can level a room with three notes. It's all about feel. There are plenty of people who have astonishingly deep vocabularies or people who can talk really fast...that does not make them great writers.

The best thing about Mayer is the list of women he has dated.  He's not on Jeter's level, but he is not that far behind.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

He just isn't the sum of his parts. Guitar work is very good, voice is fine and even his song seem OK. Put it all together and somehow you get the most boring music ever. 

Has nothing to do with speed. Or even technical proficiency for that matter. It's entirely a feel thing. The ability to emote. Some of the greatest guitar players ever are terrible in the context of technical proficiency, but they can level a room with three notes. It's all about feel. There are plenty of people who have astonishingly deep vocabularies or people who can talk really fast...that does not make them great writers.
Well That's not entirely true either.  Guys like Vai and Sateriani and others are astounding and some would argue don't have the kind of feel of a guy like Slash, who I admittedly prefer. But at some point the whole exercise becomes very subjective. 

Mayer is a fantastic guitar player, but he's not one of the best. That said, good luck getting Slash or Vai or one of these other guys to write a song like Mayer can, and then sing it. Good luck. Mayer is spectacular as an all around musician IMO. He's more Elton John or Eric Clapton than SRV. 

Great post. Mayer is a great guitarist, but he is also really boring IMO. It's soul less. 

Here is an example of a guitar player that is doing nothing too flashy, nothing fast and it's not even his song but it's better than anything Mayer has ever done.

From what I remember Mayer's never had a drop of booze or partaken in any drug in his life. Could have something to do with something.

Mayer is incredible, and incredibly talented. I don't want to get locked into defending him here, and your link is great, and the point is noted. 

Laugh about it/sing about it/what do you have to lose...
Mayer is the NFL RB prospect that is the 6'0, runs a 4.45 with a 40 inch vert but does so at 190 pounds. He's athletic, but he's also a lightweight. 

I think this is giving him a raw deal. Dude definitely has soul, he's not just a speed guitarist.  He's absolutely nailed some Dead stuff the past couple years. 
I think it is fine to not like his solo music but there is no way you can bag on his guitar ability. The dude is a better fit than Trey with the Dead for ####### sake.

Users who are viewing this thread