What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Ross, KC (2 Viewers)

To me it’s simple: 

- cincy brass wants to be right about Ross.  They took him at 1.9 last year and have been criticized for it since.  They are gonna give him every chance to make them right.  

- Ross is supremely talented.  Not just a deep threat   Great route runner.  Incredible run after the catch ability   They are going to find him on deep balls but also going to try to get him in space and on screens all season long.  

- his college tape is other worldly, and he just showed yesterday that he can make the same type of catches and open field moves on nfl caliber defenders   

- He’s Locked down the #2 spot across from green, so he will see his 6+ targets each week.  

- with green on the other side, he’s not going to see a ton of double teams of any.  

- he’s going to face every opponent’s 2nd best cb each week.  

- he has flashed all offseason.  

BC I own him in bottof my dynos, I am biased.  100%.  I accept that.  However, I targeted him in both leagues BC of this analysis. I didn’t make up this analysis BC I own him.  I think, barring injury, he is going to prove a ton of doubters wrong this season, and he is going to have a will fuller type season (like what fuller could have been if he stayed healthy with Watson all year last year)   

Here are the risks with Ross if I’m being fair and balanced:

- Marvin Lewis is an idiot   

- dalton isn’t the best qb, and he doesn’t seem to have the arm strength to take full advantage of ross’s Deep speed   

- Ross has emotional issues (something he admitted wrecked him last year), and seems to lose confidence and fall into depression easily   I worry that a few bad plays, a few fumbles, and/or his teammates or coaches chewing him out can take him out of his game completely   
You forgot to mention his tremendous historical propensity for injury as a risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to mention his tremendous historical propensity for injury as a risk.
Lol. “Tremendous historical propensity” For $1 in auction or a last round pick, I don’t think you should be worried about if he doesn’t work out- not many players in that spot can have similar upside.

*For dynasty maybe you take it into consideration and I suppose if you’re making a quite comprehensive pro/con list as @rickyg did you should mention that he’s missed time. After rereading the post I think that’s probably where you were going rather than poo pooing ross due to “THP” injury.

Probably time to say ameer Abdullah has THP fumble, or that gronk has THPTE1. Bill belichek has THPSuper Bowl. 

To me it’s simple: 

- cincy brass wants to be right about Ross.  They took him at 1.9 last year and have been criticized for it since.  They are gonna give him every chance to make them right.  

- Ross is supremely talented.  Not just a deep threat   Great route runner.  Incredible run after the catch ability   They are going to find him on deep balls but also going to try to get him in space and on screens all season long.  

- his college tape is other worldly, and he just showed yesterday that he can make the same type of catches and open field moves on nfl caliber defenders   

- He’s Locked down the #2 spot across from green, so he will see his 6+ targets each week.  

- with green on the other side, he’s not going to see a ton of double teams of any.  

- he’s going to face every opponent’s 2nd best cb each week.  

- he has flashed all offseason.  

BC I own him in both of my dynos, I am biased.  100%.  I accept that.  However, I targeted him in both leagues BC of this analysis. I didn’t make up this analysis BC I own him.  I think, barring injury, he is going to prove a ton of doubters wrong this season, and he is going to have a will fuller type season (like what fuller could have been if he stayed healthy with Watson all year last year)   

Here are the risks with Ross if I’m being fair and balanced:

- Marvin Lewis is an idiot   

- dalton isn’t the best qb, and he doesn’t seem to have the arm strength to take full advantage of ross’s Deep speed   

- Ross has emotional issues (something he admitted wrecked him last year), and seems to lose confidence and fall into depression easily   I worry that a few bad plays, a few fumbles, and/or his teammates or coaches chewing him out can take him out of his game completely   

- he has an injury checkered past   
He's not a good route runner. Not sure he has to be. He is tremendously fast as everybody knows. He looks like a different player this year too. He has gained weight. The good kind. He looks more, dare I say, like Tyreek. 

I traded for him in one of my dynasty leagues. I'm on board. I can see him getting 7+ TDs this year and being a appreciating asset through out the year amd into next season. 

In this last preseason game he dropped a pass that might have turned into a 50 yard TD. He's going to have drops. He's also going to have more 50 yard TD's.

If Ross doesnt drop that pass and he houses it he would have had a line like 4-116-2...........how excited would people be with a top 10 pick having a huge game like that out of nowhere?

Watched a video that showed the full route he ran.  Did a sort of double move where he decelerated and then put the pedal to the metal.  Pretty simple route but....WOW.....his acceleration to blow past the DB was pretty impressive 
do you have a link for the full route?

Watched a video that showed the full route he ran.  Did a sort of double move where he decelerated and then put the pedal to the metal.  Pretty simple route but....WOW.....his acceleration to blow past the DB was pretty impressive 
That's the foundation of most of his routes, and it's also how he gets yards after catch.  It's not just the speed it's his acceleration and deceleration, and he changes speed so fluidly. 

With his speed these subtle moves are a nightmare

Same after-the-catch moves he made in that gif - the defender is running full speed and can't stop as quickly as he did, so he just steps back and runs around.

But if you try to give him cushion he can do this

With that insane speed he doesn't have to be a great route runner. I love the muscle he added too!

I can easily see 7-8 TDs this season and we all could he holding a top 35ish dynasty asset this time next year. 

They have no other WR to scare you in terms of targets.

Plus, he's the definition of the kind of guy that can help your fantasy team with one play.  

I drafted him late 1st last year, promptly forgot about him, then every time I saw him on my roster, I saw this next to his total 2017 points:

:angry:  

For the YEAR, he scored, NEGATIVE 8/10ths OF A POINT.  It's hilarious.  I've been staring at that number all summer.

Now, I'm thinking I might have a sexy flex.   

They have no other WR to scare you in terms of targets.

Plus, he's the definition of the kind of guy that can help your fantasy team with one play.  

I drafted him late 1st last year, promptly forgot about him, then every time I saw him on my roster, I saw this next to his total 2017 points:

:angry:  

For the YEAR, he scored, NEGATIVE 8/10ths OF A POINT.  It's hilarious.  I've been staring at that number all summer.

Now, I'm thinking I might have a sexy flex.   
You mean other than 7 time Pro Bowler, AJ Green?

I like Ross and i'm excited to see him play finally, but I think this is much better for AJ green. With two backs who can run and catch and Ross on the other side it's going to be really hard to double green.  He could absolutely feast this year. 

I think Ross brings up Eifert's game as well.

Currently, Ross is sitting on our FA list in my 12 man PPR league with .1/pt for return yardage.....If Ross is taking over either/or of the kick return/punt return duties...I'm thinking this guy needs to be on my team NOW. Am I nuts?

Currently, Ross is sitting on our FA list in my 12 man PPR league with .1/pt for return yardage.....If Ross is taking over either/or of the kick return/punt return duties...I'm thinking this guy needs to be on my team NOW. Am I nuts?
Return yards or otherwise, John Ross should find a roster in about every every league.

Return yards or otherwise, John Ross should find a roster in about every every league.
Looking for a spot for him...and I don't mean to take over the thread here....but could drop Aaron Jones, either OJ Howard/Eifert (one needs to start for me), Jaimis Winston, or Rishard Matthews.....J Crowder and Mike Williams are on my bench, but they seem higher value than Ross at this point.

Looking for a spot for him...and I don't mean to take over the thread here....but could drop Aaron Jones, either OJ Howard/Eifert (one needs to start for me), Jaimis Winston, or Rishard Matthews.....J Crowder and Mike Williams are on my bench, but they seem higher value than Ross at this point.
Drop your RB1.

He should be on your team regardless of return blah blah blah

He should be on your team regardless of return blah blah blah
I could drop Aaron Jones, either OJ Howard/Eifert (one needs to start for me), Jaimis Winston, or Rishard Matthews.....J Crowder and Mike Williams are on my bench, but they seem higher value than Ross at this point. Quick thoughts?

I like Ross and i'm excited to see him play finally, but I think this is much better for AJ green. With two backs who can run and catch and Ross on the other side it's going to be really hard to double green.  He could absolutely feast this year. 
Need a healthy tyler eifert too

I know he returned kicks in college, but I haven't heard any reports he'll be a return guy this year. Seems like he's got a couple guys ahead of him in that aspect. 

I know he returned kicks in college, but I haven't heard any reports he'll be a return guy this year. Seems like he's got a couple guys ahead of him in that aspect. 
Generally when you are the WR2 you graduate from returning kicks to receiver. Don't want to be held to one WR sets because your WR2 is winded from running the ball back 70 yards on special teams. 

Generally when you are the WR2 you graduate from returning kicks to receiver. Don't want to be held to one WR sets because your WR2 is winded from running the ball back 70 yards on special teams. 
Wishful thinking seeing guys like McCaffery, Lockette, getting RB/WR stats and some Return yards to boot.

I just realized that he will be facing a secondary that PFF ranks as dead last in the NFL for week 1, the Colts. Considering that AJ Green will likely draw attention from the free safety Hooker in that one, I’m liking Ross to exploit what should be a lot of one on one coverage.  I just sat Henry in my lineup and plan to fire up Ross as my Flex play for week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that he will be facing a secondary that PFF ranks as dead last in the NFL for week 1, the Colts. Considering that AJ Green will likely draw attention from the free safety Hooker in that one, I’m liking Ross to exploit what should be a lot of one on one coverage.  I just sat Henry in my lineup and plan to fire up Ross as my Flex play for week 1.
He is locked and loaded in my week 1 lineup for exactly that reason.  No better time to pull the plastic wrapping off our new toy and put it to use than against the colts secondary.  

Rt now he’s in over Tyler Lockett, Godwin, g. Allison, and Anthony Miller.  If he doesn’t feast in week 1 (at the very least 6-7 targets, 75+ yards)  I will be scratching my head.   

There's more to WR/CB match-ups than just speed but IND doesn't have a starting CB who ran their 40 in under 4.5 seconds. The match-up is just generally soft since IND might have the worst secondary in the league. I want to start Ross but that'd mean I'd be sitting players whose situation I'm more comfortable with. 

There's more to WR/CB match-ups than just speed but IND doesn't have a starting CB who ran their 40 in under 4.5 seconds. The match-up is just generally soft since IND might have the worst secondary in the league. I want to start Ross but that'd mean I'd be sitting players whose situation I'm more comfortable with. 
Starting Ross would mean benching AB because I’m scared ? about weather. Can’t find any reason to bench T.Y. or Tate (full PPR.) Don’t like to Flex him because his fooor is low IMO.

But I like him as a bye or spot starter. We have bonuses for 40+ plays & another bonus kicks in when it’s a long TD. Plus another bonus for milestones. Those 17-18 point plays swing a couple games every year - been on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread