What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Ross, KC (3 Viewers)

It's all good.  For me the draft is 80% of the evaluation, so I have very few firm takes on any of these guys.  For example, Iast year I had absolutely no interest in Dante Pettis.  Then the Niners traded up for him in the 2nd, so I drafted him on every single team I have.  Took him mid 2nd in most leagues and now wouldn't deal him for less than the 1.03. Good decision.

Anyone who gets entrenched about a prospect at this stage is doing themselves a major disservice imo.
Agreed. My evals at this point are more real NFL- who would I want if I was an nfl gm. 

John Ross missed the Bengals' veterans volunteer minicamp because of "tightness."

This isn't major news since it was a volunteer workout in the offseason, but it's another example of Ross missing activities due to injury. The report doesn't specify which body part was tight, but Ross has been inactive with lingering hamstring injuries before. New Bengals coach Zac Taylor wants to give Ross a "fresh start" and as long as Ross is healthy, Taylor will get his first up-close impression of him at Monday's OTAs.

SOURCE: Bengals.com

May 19, 2019, 5:15 PM ET

Bengals WR Tyler Boyd believes third-year pro John Ross must play faster in 2019.

"With John he's still thinking," Boyd said. "He's thinking and then he reacts. I feel like once he gets comfortable and makes plays he'll be fine. He's just got to cut it loose. He's a great player. He runs his routes clean and he's the fastest guy in the league. Once it comes to him and he can just react, it'll be like a hot knife through butter." Boyd says he has liked what he's seen through the early days of Bengals offseason practices, while the team's website insists Ross is not being "babied" by the new coaching staff. 23-year-old Ross will be on the spot in what is amounting to a do-or-die season.

SOURCE: bengals.com

May 28, 2019, 7:50 PM ET

The Athletic's Jay Morrison reports John Ross has struggled with consistency during spring practices.

This comes after teammate Tyler Boyd suggested Ross was still having trouble picking up the offense. Ross isn't off to a great start, though that's not surprising given his history of lapses. Playing under a new coaching staff, Ross is entering a make-or-break 2019.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 15, 2019, 12:41 PM ET

John Ross is hoping to "re-invent" himself this season.

Ross said changing his number from 15 to 11 is part of that process. "I kind of wanted to basically start everything over," Ross said. "I get to put Ross III on the back of my jersey and get to change the number. Hopefully, just change the whole year." It is a nice thought, but Ross reportedly struggled with consistency during the offseason program. 2019 could be his final year with the Bengals if he does not take a step forward.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 4, 2019, 9:33 AM ET

Bengals.com reports John Ross could "possibly" miss two weeks with a hamstring injury.

Ross missed practice time with "tightness" during the spring and reportedly "struggled with consistency." He is getting off to the worst possible start with the Bengals' new coaching staff. Even were A.J. Green to miss regular season time, it's hard to see Ross making himself fantasy relevant in re-draft leagues.

SOURCE: bengals.com

Jul 29, 2019, 3:08 PM ET

John Ross (hamstring) is targetting a return to practice next week.

This roughly fits into the original two-week timeline, but Ross' health can't be trusted at this point. In addition to missed time, Ross has reportedly "struggled with consistency" this offseason, one that included implementing a new offense under a new coaching staff. Ross' best chance of earning trust is at the tail end of the preseason and during A.J. Green's (ankle) expected regular-season absence.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Aug 12, 2019, 7:29 PM ET

Bengals wide receiver John Ross is expected to start practicing early next week, coach Zac Taylor said Monday. The first-year coach said the team is targeting Sunday as his first practice of the preseason. Ross has been day-to-day with a hamstring injury with all of training camp. Should Ross in a few days, the third-year receiver will have two full weeks of practice before the season opener on Sept. 8 at Seattle. "That’s what we are looking for," Taylor said. "If we can get two good weeks of practice out of John, I feel confident he’ll be able to play in that game."

Ben Baby, ESPN Staff Writer

John Ross (hamstring) will play Week 1 against the Seahawks.

Ross missed the entire preseason with his latest injury but is good to go for the games that count in the standings. Unfortunately for him, he could have used the summer reps in new coach Zac Taylor's offense. There are no fantasy expectations for Ross until further notice.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Sep 4, 2019, 1:55 PM ET

shadyridr said:
He looks different. Maybe it's the number change but nobody type looks more thick, ripped. 
I think it's the coaching change.  He knows if he makes one mistake he's not going to be sent to sit in the stands for the rest of the game.

I would make a massive post-week 1 upward adjustment for him.  This game is going to do wonders for his confidence.  Seattle's defense is no joke and he made a big difference.

-QG

I'll have to watch the game but those game logs just don't happen. Granted, those Seattle corners aren't the greatest but it looks like we (I) wrote him off too soon.

Glad I stuck with him in both dyno leagues.  Unfortunately dropped

him in redraft when I heard his role for this week was uncertain.  

Agreed. You can't argue with the competition or the target share but that TD was just plain lucky. 
Before that play, he dropped a pass that likely would have been a long touchdown and was clearly upset by it.   I thought it might screw his confidence up for the remainder of the game and was thinking "here we go again," but to his credit, he came back from it.   I'm cautiously optimistic, and I think Quizguy above made a good point about accountabity under Zac Taylor.   I love that Taylor is making players earn their jobs despite where they were drafted.  Not only Ross, but Dalton and the offense's identity looked so much more intriguing than under the previous staff.  

I like his target share but his 60 yarder seemed kind of flukey though. 
I don't think it was - I think Seattle outsmarted themselves there.  I'm sure they watched the film of Dalton's tendency to underthrow balls.  The Seahawk positioned himself for the underthrow.  But instead Dalton's throw was right where it need to be. :shrug:

-QG

I love that so many people aren’t buying into this.  It will make it easier for me to snag him off waivers this week. 

He was a monster in college.  Talent is not the issue with Ross.   He oozes that.  Injuries, confidence, and an inept coaching staff have been his problems.  

He is now healthy, his confidence is now back, and the new coaching staff knows how to use him.  His qb clearly sees the potential, this the 12 targets.  

I need everyone to keep sleeping until after. Wednesday please!  Lol

I'm a buyer based on the coaching, he passed the eye test to me yesterday and sure seems like they'll be chucking from behind, he looked like a guy taken in the top half of the first round yesterday

I have top waiver priority this week. No RBs out there worth anything. All the other WRs scream week 1 flash in the pan. This is the only guy with pedigree and opportunity to be a big deal for his team. I'm thinking real hard about it. Is it fools gold or is this a guy in his 3rd year, finally healthy and finally going to put it all together.

I have top waiver priority this week. No RBs out there worth anything. All the other WRs scream week 1 flash in the pan. This is the only guy with pedigree and opportunity to be a big deal for his team. I'm thinking real hard about it. Is it fools gold or is this a guy in his 3rd year, finally healthy and finally going to put it all together.
Definitely not fool's gold; he will produce all year and looks legit. But I wouldn't expect 12 targets every game.

SELL SELL SELL...I'm not a believer...I don't think he's the next Tyreek Hill.  I actually have him on 1 of my teams and was hoping for a game like this to unload...trade offers went out tonight :)

my 2 cents

-DD

Used my top spot for him. I'm banking on it finally clicking for him. Even if Green comes back, he'll still have a role for big scores.

Used my top spot for him. I'm banking on it finally clicking for him. Even if Green comes back, he'll still have a role for big scores.
This is my line of thinking as well.  I read an interview from earlier in the summer where he talked about not transitioning well to the NFL.  Lots of expectations he didn't live up to. According to him, he's had kind of rebirth, re-awakening or whatever you wanna call it....im drinkin the koolaid!.....I'm not super concerned about AJ coming back as he's not the same guy he was several years ago.....hes still a stud, but he's got a lot of mileage on his body....him and Boyd can draw coverage so Ross can take the top off!  If only he had more of a Wentz than a Dalton at QB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up as a throw in on an offseason trade, put him on the trading block but I doubt I'm going to get any bites. Might as well get  my star on this thread.

New coaching staff... and he has some talent but has had struggles with health. 

Going off this first game is pretty huge for him.  If he can build some momentum, we could be seeing an old school 3rd year breakout. 

SELL SELL SELL...I'm not a believer...I don't think he's the next Tyreek Hill.  I actually have him on 1 of my teams and was hoping for a game like this to unload...trade offers went out tonight :)

my 2 cents

-DD
What would you sell for? 

I'm potentially buying from the non believers, just in case. 

What would you sell for? 

I'm potentially buying from the non believers, just in case. 
I'm trying to snag a 2020 1st but no takers and not really surprised...if he's the next Tyreek then that's probably the right price tag but have yet to find an owner who is on that wavelength. 

I did get offered a 2021 2nd and I countered for an additional piece but no reply yet.  I believe right now I could move for a 2nd rounder and that sounds about the right value but if he has anything close to wk 1 I think I could get more.

It just seems to me that when offensive coordinators or head coaches change roles change, and that's what might be happening here.  Concerns are the o-line, the flukiness of a couple of the plays (but otoh Ross also missed on a couple other good plays), and Green returning.

I love that so many people aren’t buying into this.  It will make it easier for me to snag him off waivers this week. 

He was a monster in college.  Talent is not the issue with Ross.   He oozes that.  Injuries, confidence, and an inept coaching staff have been his problems.  

He is now healthy, his confidence is now back, and the new coaching staff knows how to use him.  His qb clearly sees the potential, this the 12 targets.  

I need everyone to keep sleeping until after. Wednesday please!  Lol
I was surprised I got him last night, clearly people did not watch much of the game outside the usual fan base of the two teams. I say that because all I saw on our league message board was he was a flavor of the week. 12 targets and a head coach that is offensive minded and wants to throw. I thought Dalton looked as good as I've seen him vs stiffer competition. And I think people should get ahead of this because the division is ripe with Cleveland a hot mess, Pittsburgh looks soft, this could be the number two team in the North and at the least looks functional on offense. Why can't Cinci feature two or even three WRs? AJ just got out of the walking boot and will take weeks to get all his motion back. I think Ross can have a couple more solid to big weeks and with Mixon on the mend, they're gonna throw and throw and throw...good stuff Rg

He's still only 23... Two months older than Deebo Samuel.  2 months younger than Terry Mclarin. 

I wouldn't sell for anything less than a 1st either.  Too much upside. 

This is madness. He was nigh upon unrosterable 10 days ago, and now you want no less than a 1st?

I haven’t moved him yet because no one in my league will pay a 2nd, but the instant that they will he’s off my roster. 
I gave a late round 2019 first for him before the 2019 season started.  Was betting on college production, draft capital, rebound from injury plagued rookie year.  Thought I got completely hosed back then.  I am fairly certain that the guy who traded Ross to me back then was rubbing his tummy and thinking he raped me.  And now I am betting that guys wishes he had Ross back on his team.  

sometimes it takes players a few years to break out in the nfl.  with Ross it was a complicated mixture of factors causing him to bust in years 1 and 2:

1) injuries

2) incompetent coaching 

3) confidence issues/mental stability 

4) bad case of the dropsies.  

So here we are in his third season.  As of right now he is fully healthy.  We all know that can change in an instant and he definitely has an injury prone label.  But so does will fuller and everyone loves him and gushes about his upside although he’s never actually showed it BC he’s never completed a full season.  

The incompetent coaching is gone and has been replaced by a coach who comes from the McCray coaching tree and wants to use Ross in the Brandon cooks role.  

His confidence issues seem to be behind him although that can change with a few bad games.  Who knows. 

He still has the dropsies.  But MAN did he flash his potential in week 1.  He was every bit as explosive as marquise brown, who everyone was practically jizzing on themselves over in week 1.  Brown was a first round pick in many rookie drafts this year and probably would have been even higher if not for the lis franc.  Who knows? Brown could be injury prone too   Lis Franc is a no joke type of injury   

The difference?  Ross is on a pass happy team with a better passing qb.  Brown is in a run first team with a qb who is a better runner than passer and he got 4 targets instead of the twelve that Ross got in week 1. 

If I asked you right now who you’d rather have straight up bw brown and Ross given everything stated above who would you take? 

I gave a late round 2019 first for him before the 2019 season started.  Was betting on college production, draft capital, rebound from injury plagued rookie year.  Thought I got completely hosed back then.  I am fairly certain that the guy who traded Ross to me back then was rubbing his tummy and thinking he raped me.  And now I am betting that guys wishes he had Ross back on his team.  

sometimes it takes players a few years to break out in the nfl.  with Ross it was a complicated mixture of factors causing him to bust in years 1 and 2:

1) injuries

2) incompetent coaching 

3) confidence issues/mental stability 

4) bad case of the dropsies.  

So here we are in his third season.  As of right now he is fully healthy.  We all know that can change in an instant and he definitely has an injury prone label.  But so does will fuller and everyone loves him and gushes about his upside although he’s never actually showed it BC he’s never completed a full season.  

The incompetent coaching is gone and has been replaced by a coach who comes from the McCray coaching tree and wants to use Ross in the Brandon cooks role.  

His confidence issues seem to be behind him although that can change with a few bad games.  Who knows. 

He still has the dropsies.  But MAN did he flash his potential in week 1.  He was every bit as explosive as marquise brown, who everyone was practically jizzing on themselves over in week 1.  Brown was a first round pick in many rookie drafts this year and probably would have been even higher if not for the lis franc.  Who knows? Brown could be injury prone too   Lis Franc is a no joke type of injury   

The difference?  Ross is on a pass happy team with a better passing qb.  Brown is in a run first team with a qb who is a better runner than passer and he got 4 targets instead of the twelve that Ross got in week 1. 

If I asked you right now who you’d rather have straight up bw brown and Ross given everything stated above who would you take? 
I think you mean 2017...

People have plenty of concerns about Will Fuller and his ability to stay on the field.  He also has a boom or bust nature.  That is reflected in his value.

Brown is a new kid on the block and these guys also get most of the hype.  Just the way it is..  

We know more about Ross...  Now, you may be right that the stars have finally aligned but the history on Ross is still out there and that is reflected in his value. 

People value players differently.  You are clearly invested in Ross and value him highly - probably higher than anyone else in your league.  Simply means you won't be trading him anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread