What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Is The Best Live, Professionally-Recorded, Musical Performance You've Ever Seen? As A Standard, Say Woodstock And Go From There. (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I'm going with The Who at Monterey or Simon and Garfunkel at Central Park. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going Who at Monterey or Simon and Garfunkel at Central Park. 
Absolutely loved Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park.  Watched with the whole family as my parents thought it would be a cool event.  They were right, for once. :)  

Absolutely loved Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park.  Watched with the whole family as my parents thought it would be a cool event.  They were right, for once. :)  
If you were there, you were slightly blessed, friend. 

The Band? Actually haven't seen it, but a lot of people I know and converse with love The Band,  
Get on it, ASAP.

Scorcese directed. Was their last show. Ridiculous amount of legendary guests that include:

Dylan

Clapton

Van Morrison

Joni Mitchell

Neil Young

Neil Diamond

Dr. John

Muddy Waters

Ringo

....and more.

What makes a live performance "important"?
Nothing. It's the recorded nature of it so we don't just talk about our favorite shows. My syntax may be off here, but I'm not sure. I'm talking about live, big, professionally recorded performances that people enjoy.

In my choice, I viewed it as important in that it was what broke Jimi, bigly, into the US music scene. 
Yeah, I might have messed up the dashes. I'm talking about live, recorded professional stuff. Like Skoo mentioned with The Band. Or Sympathy For The Devil with Godard. Work with me here -- we're going for big-assed bands at their best. Like Hendrix at Monterey getting introduced by Brian Jones. 

#### like that. 

Yeah, I might have messed up the dashes. I'm talking about live, recorded professional stuff. Like Skoo mentioned with The Band. Or Sympathy For The Devil with Godard. Work with me here -- we're going for big-assed bands at their best. Like Hendrix at Monterey getting introduced by Brian Jones. 

#### like that. 
Ah then, let me add:

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same (movie)

EDIT: Full Movie YouTube link no longer working it seems... :(  ...sorry

Changed link to trailer.

Wow what a great question and topic for a thread. 

The Last Waltz and the Concert in Central Park come to mind for me as well. Also the Beatles "Let It Be" concert filmed on a rooftop. 

As personal favorites I will add Tom Petty's "Pack Up the Plantation" video from the 80s, and Queen's "Live From Wembly", which was the same 1981 tour I saw in Los Angeles. Freddie Mercury was probably the best live performer I've ever seen. 

I'd put Kurt Cobain on Unplugged up there.
I would too. That show was incredible. He introduced me to Leadbelly and got me into a country thing back when I was not supposed to be disposed to those artists.

"My girl, my girl, don't lie to me, tell me where did you sleep last night. in the pines, in the pines, tell me where you did you sleep last night?"  

If we're going outside the box I'll toss out Santana's Lotus concert. Was a live bootleg LP in the early 70s but YouTube has several of the concerts from that tour in full as well. One below. In terms of sheer guitar mastery Santana was coming into his own at this time and 40+ years later it's still as good as anything you'll hear from anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzEKCgI2V8

If you were there, you were slightly blessed, friend. 

Sorry, wasnt there but watched the live simulcast on HBO
I love this idea as a 'saw it live' thread if possible, even unknown local bands, would be interesting.

I think live recorded the one I love to pull up is the tribute to RRHOF George Harrison with Prince and Clapton and McCartney and Jeff Lynne, etc.

I love this idea as a 'saw it live' thread if possible, even unknown local bands, would be interesting.

I think live recorded the one I love to pull up is the tribute to George Harrison with Prince and Clapton and McCartney and Jeff Lynne, etc.
It can morph into that, but then it gets really subjective and people stop clicking links. I'm looking for standards in music, I guess, which isn't normally my thing. At all. I'm looking for professional recordings, which could mean anything from Stop Making Sense to other things more off the beaten path. 

It can morph into that, but then it gets really subjective and people stop clicking links. I'm looking for standards in music, I guess, which isn't normally my thing. At all. I'm looking for professional recordings, which could mean anything from Stop Making Sense to other things more off the beaten path. 
Sorry yeah I didn't mean this thread, maybe another at another time. Rock on Rockaction.

Wattstax should at least be on the list.

My personal favorite is Otis Redding's 1967 Live in Europe.  A highlight.  Good god, that performance gives me chills and nausea and all kinds of wonderful things.  Love the crowd.  There must be a better video out there without the watermark - sorry I'm in a rush right now and this was the first I found.  

@Uruk-Hai, get in here and back me up on this.

My personal favorite is Otis Redding's 1967 Live in Europe.  A highlight.  Good god, that performance gives me chills and nausea and all kinds of wonderful things.  Love the crowd.  There must be a better video out there without the watermark - sorry I'm in a rush right now and this was the first I found.  

You're backed. I can't find a full video performance of that concert, though I've seen it in pieces over the years. His  Monterrey set was blistering, too. He also had a nice little band behind him.....hey, whatever happened to those guys?

Wattstax is killer. 

So is The TAMI Show which can make a legitimate claim to be the highest-powered show of all-time. The Stones had to follow this

Oh, that's awesome. Otis was a selection of Uruk in a recent draft and I saw his Monterey performance because of it. Unreal.  

Also, regarding your video, he was bringing it and getting encores. So funny the give-and-take with the audience. Just lovely. They were rushing the stage. He'd have been a giant had he lived. You know what? I want to edit this. He is a giant. It's just a tragedy what happened, is what I want to say.  

You're backed. I can't find a full video performance of that concert, though I've seen it in pieces over the years. His  Monterrey set was blistering, too. He also had a nice little band behind him.....hey, whatever happened to those guys?

Wattstax is killer. 

So is The TAMI Show which can make a legitimate claim to be the highest-powered show of all-time. The Stones had to follow this
Jesus. Ten seconds in and he's already moved on one foot more than I have in years. 

eta* This is on the background, and he's killing it.  

Users who are viewing this thread