What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks 2017: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
The Bucs will be the featured team on this year's season of 

Hard Knocks.

The Bucs campaigned for the gig, and got it. Although the show has gotten rather formulaic in recent years, it's still a fascinating look into training camp. The Bucs will try to present a team that's ready for a return to the playoffs after 2016's step forward.

Source: floridafootballinsiders.com 
Apr 18 - 1:25 PM

This is gonna be so much better than the Rams or Falcons.

I'm still annoyed that the Amazon crew followed the Rams and we've got to watch them again right after Hard Knocks.  

Yes, it's a bad idea for newly rich kids to throw all their money around, but you'd think Jameis would give his family at least a modest home upgrade.

Loved the insight into Jameis' background. He was clearly the star of this episode. We like to think we have a clue where a lot of these guys come from. We don't. 

I think (hope) HBO finally realized that spending a significant part of the Hard Knocks real estate on bottom of the 90-man roster/fringe players, isn't the way to go anymore.  What with social media providing glimpses and direct contact between even the biggest superstars and the fans, HBO had to change this up.  Hope this sticks.

Observation: If you have to tell your QB not to lose the game for you, you can't tell him in the same conversation that he can be like Aaron Rodgers.

I think (hope) HBO finally realized that spending a significant part of the Hard Knocks real estate on bottom of the 90-man roster/fringe players, isn't the way to go anymore.  What with social media providing glimpses and direct contact between even the biggest superstars and the fans, HBO had to change this up.  Hope this sticks.

Observation: If you have to tell your QB not to lose the game for you, you can't tell him in the same conversation that he can be like Aaron Rodgers.
I didn't particularly like the "you can't lose the game for us" line either, but Aaron Rodgers is exactly who he should be like.  Koetter is referring to Jameis' propensity to throw interceptions.  Rodgers has been under double digits in picks for 6 seasons in a row, but he's still adept at making big plays. 

They don't want him to turn it over, but they don't want him to be a "game manager" either.  Aaron Rodgers is the perfect barometer. 

At the same point in his career, Aaron Rodgers had 0 starts and had completed 15 passes in 31 attempts.  McCarthy very well could have been saying the exact same type of things to him if Rodgers were going to start in his third season.

Just a little perspective.

At the same point in his career, Aaron Rodgers had 0 starts and had completed 15 passes in 31 attempts.  McCarthy very well could have been saying the exact same type of things to him if Rodgers were going to start in his third season.

Just a little perspective.
I don't know if the conversation was edited...however, to expand on my point.

Rodgers/Brady - that level of QB has complete and unconditional level of trust within every part of the organization.  There is a stature/presence they've earned through long periods of excellence.  And experience, not just on the field, but in life matters IMO.  Rodgers is 33.  Brady is 40.  Winston is 23.

i don't have an issue with Koetter using Brady/Rodgers as benchmarks. - I think they should be seen as that.  But wrapped in the context of what I perceived to be 'don't f**k up and lose games'...to me the best QB's are relied on to make the biggest of plays in the biggest of moments because they are trusted to and they KNOW they are trusted to.

And that conversation didn't feel as if Koetter has that trust and if I felt it, I'm sure Winston did. 

From a fantasy perspective I thought the Mcnichols info was interesting.  Might win 3rd down duties sooner than later.

Yes, it's a bad idea for newly rich kids to throw all their money around, but you'd think Jameis would give his family at least a modest home upgrade.
I'm not sure why I laughed so much that @AuntJemima was the only person to like this so far.  I must be a terrible person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those deep passes Jameis completed looked like wobblers to me.

I'm glad they showed his pick throwing deep into double coverage. We might see that a lot this year.

It's weird to have an opinion on what somebody else should do with their money. 

From what I understand he took care of some family members. Maybe they still have that house for local kids to be taken in, who knows? 

Just watched episode 1.  My first impression of Koetter is that I don't like him as a leader of men.  When he and Winston had the 1-1 in his office I thought his advice to Winston was almost cowardly.  Just got a bad vibe from that, to be honest.  He should have offered support and built his confidence up with a supportive tone vs. the 'you just gotta get it done, that's what's expected in the NFL' line.  I don't know much about Koetter but my gut instinct on him is poor leader and subsequently a poor HC.  I guess we'll see.  I think Winston could thrive under the right coaching and leadership.  I'm not sure that's what the Bucs have at the moment.

Just watched episode 1.  My first impression of Koetter is that I don't like him as a leader of men.  When he and Winston had the 1-1 in his office I thought his advice to Winston was almost cowardly.  Just got a bad vibe from that, to be honest.  He should have offered support and built his confidence up with a supportive tone vs. the 'you just gotta get it done, that's what's expected in the NFL' line.  I don't know much about Koetter but my gut instinct on him is poor leader and subsequently a poor HC.  I guess we'll see.  I think Winston could thrive under the right coaching and leadership.  I'm not sure that's what the Bucs have at the moment.
He used to be the head coach Arizona State, and the press still hates him here. I think he has a lot of issues. Gonna be interesting to see how he shows on Hard Knocks.

Coach Dirk Koetter said fifth-round RB Jeremy McNichols "needs to get in his playbook."

McNichols was called out by RBs coach Tim Spencer during Tuesday night's premier of Hard Knocks. It's not a good look for a rookie, but most rookies go through the learning phase. Some are just quicker than others. McNichols figures to get plenty of run in the preseason opener. McNichols is trying to give Charles Sims a run for pass-down work in Tampa. Sims remains well ahead.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Aug 9 - 3:50 PM

Ilov80s said:
Can't wait to see OJ Howard

Ilov80s said:
Ok, I meant featured, not just as a guy on a random play.
The lack of OJ Howard was my most disappointing thing about the show. I had read somewhere he'd be a feature player so was kind of surprised as well. Even when they had the rookie's sing on stage he still got ignored.

At whatever rate  this team is more entertaining then the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:
No head coach on Hard Knocks, even tired Fisher, ever came across as awful as Joe Philbin but can't say I'm overly impressed by Koetter either. But on that note the more of these "insider" type shows like Hard Knocks and the Amazon series  I see I'm surprised how many head coaches, well coaches in general,  just come across as corporate type motivational speakers. I hesitate to use the word fraud but that's how a lot of them come across to me.

On a somewhat related note when did coaches start hanging around the team facility all day in flip flops and gym shorts? I get they spend a lot of time in the facility and maybe I'm just old fashioned but I spent most of my prep years in parochial schools and we wore coats and ties to school  because the idea was you approach school like a job, you come prepared, professional, no nonsense.  Every time I see those old Vince Lombardi photos of him in his office he's wearing a tie, he's not kicking an old school track suit or something. I know I'm nit picking, no one dresses sloppier than Bellichick and he might be the best coach ever,  but I'd bet those player who get called into these offices to get cut would probably appreciate if it old ball coach could at least put on some pants and shoes and not just chill out in your gym shorts and flip flops when you crush their hopes and dreams.

No one is gonna mention Jameis' problem of not knowing down/distance?
During practice? I didn't think it mattered. 

My beef with Koetter last year was he is too conservative, and based off that chat with Winston, he wants more of the same. That offense is loaded, freaking push the issue. 

I'm trying to keep in mind that even though this is very much behind the scenes HBO is still editing it in the way they want to tell a story. 

Seemed to me they wanted to highlight that specific conversation between Koetter and Jameis about "don't lose the game," cut to a few practice INTs, cut to the "this is for the game" INT, show him getting chewed out by Koetter, and then cut to Jameis coming in at 5:15 again the next day before anyone is in the building. 

I thought Koetter's opening speech was pretty good. The rocket analogy was perfect. It's hard to judge a QB/HC relationship from one conversation.

Jameis asking "how much is too much?" following the comment regarding down and distance intrigued me too. In practice, I guess he's just running the play that's called and reading the defense. It doesn't really matter what down it is.

I'd rather he have one arm and one leg than not know what he's doing in the heat of a game. Give me a guy who's at least aware of the situation, and you can work with him. A guy who thinks it might be smart to try for a 3-yard dive on 3rd and 8 is too much of a wild-card. There's no way to strategize or have any confidence in him out there.
I think you may have missed the context of the comment within the conversation they were having.

I'd rather he have one arm and one leg than not know what he's doing in the heat of a game. Give me a guy who's at least aware of the situation, and you can work with him. A guy who thinks it might be smart to try for a 3-yard dive on 3rd and 8 is too much of a wild-card. There's no way to strategize or have any confidence in him out there.
:lmao:  

1) he was talking about practice. He very clearly said it's not during a game 

2) Winston has definitely never had a problem checking down. 

Who cares how dumb Winston is, and dumb he definitely is, as long as he can get the ball to my new TE, OJ Howard.

A friend took her sons out to practice and the youngest boy got pulled in run some routes w Jameis...he made a good catch, they did the running body bump, kid went flying, mom signs waiver for Hard Knocks...I'm sure we'll see that scene.

By the way, there aren't many hotter places on earth than One Buc in August...must be brutal in helmet and pads.

Users who are viewing this thread