What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

H-1B Visa Program (1 Viewer)

Nice EO

"I have no idea how this works, but I'm sure it's broke, so get together with some people that dont exist yet and tell me how to fix it"

Really, what haven't you seen firsthand?
It can be very abusive to the foreign workers in that they are stuck with the employer. If they want to stay in the US, they can't leave that employer as I understand it. Indentured servitude.

Really, what haven't you seen firsthand?
Honestly, he's offered to meet me IRL because we lived in the same area. Anyone who knows as much about CT as Higgs does is a straight shooter. He knows the localities, the area. You might disagree with his politics, but there are things he says that are beyond debate. 

For instance, people have varied lives. I've worked downstairs from the Ambassador to the U.N. and also have also done suspect things. People meet people in life, and they take really multifaceted ways in the journey towards the finite. It's entirely possible what he says.  

I was just in the middle of a move and had other issues so I couldn't meet him out for a non-cocktail.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be very abusive to the foreign workers in that they are stuck with the employer. If they want to stay in the US, they can't leave that employer as I understand it. Indentured servitude.
Most certainly the primary concern of the OP

Honestly I do not get this one. I work with a guy who is in this program and he has gone through hoops and hoops and hoops on fire for his position. He's part of what I do for a living and I can tell you there isn't anyone I can find who could replace him. Trump is personally messing with my livelihood right now.

Note that Trump did not include the programs which he relies on for his hotels.

Honestly I do not get this one. I work with a guy who is in this program and he has gone through hoops and hoops and hoops on fire for his position. He's part of what I do for a living and I can tell you there isn't anyone I can find who could replace him. Trump is personally messing with my livelihood right now.

Unreal.

I'm not vouchsafing Trump when I say Higgs has seen abuses, I was just vouching for Higgs a bit. Anyone who offers to meet iRL is someone worthy of some level of trust.  

Most certainly the primary concern of the OP
Not really.  The people coming over here are happy to be in America, and most of the jobs and companies in loved are on the high end.  Quite honestly the best part of the H-1B program was meeting and becoming friends with the Indians.  They are the nicest, most respectful, hardest working people I've ever met.  My beef isn't with them at all.

millions of illegals/mass immigration / globalist messing with a lot of livelihoods right now, but you call those people white nationalists.

No problem with that scenario - at all.  That is what the program was designed for.  But it was not designed for companies to fire American workers do they can replace them at half the salary and with no benefits. That is the abuse Trump is looking to rectify.

this exec order is really just to start investigating how to improve and catch abusers of the program.....just more rhetoric from the trump camp really....stay,tuned on this one

Unreal.

I'm not vouchsafing Trump when I say Higgs has seen abuses, I was just vouching for Higgs a bit. Anyone who offers to meet iRL is someone worthy of some level of trust.  
Sorry, all I read was the original post, not any following convo.

I'm not doubting Higgs - I rely on his word.

No problem with that scenario - at all.  That is what the program was designed for.  But it was not designed for companies to fire American workers do they can replace them at half the salary and with no benefits. That is the abuse Trump is looking to rectify.
Exactly

this exec order is really just to start investigating how to improve and catch abusers of the program.....just more rhetoric from the trump camp really....stay,tuned on this one
So I take it you support the H-1B program and don't think the program should be cleaned up?

So my guy - who seriously I cannot replace - is not going to have to go through any kind of vetting? He won't have to reapply or anything like that?

Lay it our for me, not my department. Thanks.

So I take it you support the H-1B program and don't think the program should be cleaned up?
I think he's just anti anything Trump.   If Trump said that the world was round BSS would say it's flat and Trump is an idiot.

I get it - they're still shell-shocked.

So my guy - who seriously I cannot replace - is not going to have to go through any kind of vetting? He won't have to reapply or anything like that?

Lay it our for me, not my department. Thanks.
As far as I know Trump wants to keep the program but clean up the abuses.  Your case looks to be exactly what the program was created for.  You should have no troubles.

And once again your curmudgeon bully tactics are getting old.  This is s legitimate issue with legitimate suffering.  Stay on point or gtfo.
I'm just going to do what you do in all the other threads. 

In this case I'm going to poke holes in all your theories based on what I know about you.  Being a racist ####### is one thing, being a closdc-minded 80 IQ guy when you aren't that at all is another. 

I'm your huckleberry.  Get your boy Raj over here too, he can clean up the mess when I'm done with you.  

As far as I know Trump wants to keep the program but clean up the abuses.  Your case looks to be exactly what the program was created for.  You should have no troubles.
You have no idea what Trump wants, you don't even understand the program.  You're just race/ethnic baiting again, looking for people to troll for your own amusement.  Can't wait until you start talking about Muslims, and especially black Muslims.  That's for page 2 amirite? 

You have no idea what Trump wants, you don't even understand the program.  You're just race/ethnic baiting again, looking for people to troll for your own amusement.  Can't wait until you start talking about Muslims, and especially black Muslims.  That's for page 2 amirite? 
I know all about the program - will run circles around you just like in every other thread.

I know all about the program - will run circles around you just like in every other thread.
Link?  You know nothing about foreign relations, little about the law, and 75% of your posts are :fishing:  

You have never ran any circles around me, unpossible.  Go ahead and find one thing you've out debated me on.  GO.  :popcorn:

Link?  You know nothing about foreign relations, little about the law, and 75% of your posts are :fishing:  

You have never ran any circles around me, unpossible.  Go ahead and find one thing you've out debated me on.  GO.  :popcorn:
He's so going to own you on recruiting female athletes into D1 Track programs. 

Not worth the time or the effort.  You obviously know diddly squat about this issue.  Just another sad DD knee jerk reaction resulting in name calling and threats.

Not worth the time or the effort.  You obviously no diddly squat about this issue.  Just another sad DD knee jerk reaction resulting in name calling and threats.
So you have nothing, because it never happened.  I liked the Higgs who was always kissing my ### because he wanted no part of a debate with me.  Go back to doing that. 

Threats?  What threats?  :lmao:

Go get roj and your shoeshine kit. 

So you have nothing, because it never happened.  I liked the Higgs who was always kissing my ### because he wanted no part of a debate with me.  Go back to doing that. 

Threats?  What threats?  :lmao:

Go get roj and your shoeshine kit. 
Pfft.  Can you smell that Doc?  :lol:

There a dust-up in here? 

Damn, I like both you guys. I'd hang with Dr. D. anytime. Wish you could get along.  

There a dust-up in here? 

Damn, I like both you guys. I'd hang with Dr. D. anytime. Wish you could get along.  
I like the guy too, when he's not being a self righteous #####.  Nothing at all wrong with discussing this issue.  Nothing racist or xenophobic about it.  It's misplaced anger on his part.

Don't do it Doc.  You're gonna hurt yourself old pal.  I can fire data and economic studies left and right at you showing wage suppression.  You're not the legend you think you are Chief.  And you're in over your head on this one.  http://www.nber.org/papers/w23153
What you just produced in that link shows one specific group of workers impacted by H-1B visas.  If you can't understand that wage stagnation is primarily due to productivity levels, and that more highly skilled workers especially in fields H1B visas are increasing that productivity, then it might make more sense to you.  If you can find cheaper labor, especially for highly skilled positions, then you exponentially improve the means of production and market share for companies who employee higher quality employees at a lower cost. 

You are also leaving out key facts like the growth of the top 1% vs the bottom 90%, and how economic policy has created a vacuum for the middle and lower income people.  And none of this is new, this has been a steady transition of wages and wealth away from the middle class to the top few percent.  I'm sure you thought of all this though.  :mellow:

I'll wait for you to run circles around me like you always do.  :lmao:

I work in the IT consulting industry and while there was definitely some issues with the H-1B visa program by and large it doesn't take away from Americans filling jobs. Most of the visa candidates in the IT space are filling jobs where there is no available W2 talent. Heck, we could triple the amount of the visas we let in and still not fill all the technical roles companies have open.

That said, Indians on H1-B visas definitely receive less money than their W2 counterparts. Part of that is the companies that often hold their visas are small Indian run firms that treat them like crap. Larger consulting companies end up having to sub-contract with these firms before placing them out at the client. This means you now have two firms taking a cut of the ultimately bill rate charged to a company. The firms the hold their visa will often times not pay these folks on a consistent basis and will pressure them to stay with them even if another firm comes along to offer them better pay. There are definitely abuses that need to be cleaned up but frankly this executive order is misguided.

I like the guy too, when he's not being a self righteous #####.  Nothing at all wrong with discussing this issue.  Nothing racist or xenophobic about it.  It's misplaced anger on his part.
Nope, it isn't.  It's gonna get Xenophobic real quick though and IMO that was the impetus behind starting this thread. 

I work in the IT consulting industry and while there was definitely some issues with the H-1B visa program by and large it doesn't take away from Americans filling jobs. Most of the visa candidates in the IT space are filling jobs where there is no available W2 talent. Heck, we could triple the amount of the visas we let in and still not fill all the technical roles companies have open.

That said, Indians on H1-B visas definitely receive less money than their W2 counterparts. Part of that is the companies that often hold their visas are small Indian run firms that treat them like crap. Larger consulting companies end up having to sub-contract with these firms before placing them out at the client. This means you now have two firms taking a cut of the ultimately bill rate charged to a company. The firms the hold their visa will often times not pay these folks on a consistent basis and will pressure them to stay with them even if another firm comes along to offer them better pay. There are definitely abuses that need to be cleaned up but frankly this executive order is misguided.
Another cost savings a lot of time is the benefit structure.  In IT I would think this is especially pronounced since there are a lot of able foreigners with degrees/experience who don't even consider benefits when accepting a job via the h-1B program.  Have you found that to be true?  In theory the H-1B and W-2 wages could be similar but where the company saves is in the reduced benefits paid out.  I know this to true in the defense and also the airline sector. 

Users who are viewing this thread