What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself - And according to the law, is no longer a murderer. (1 Viewer)

Mavis

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
Sad ending to a tragic story. 

Please be respectful with comments here. Suicide is an enormous issue in society. Please do not use this space for jokes or one liners.

Thanks.

J
Murder is also enormous issue in society. To clarify, are you telling us to be respectful of a murderer? I will be respectful in not stomping on his grave or making one liners or jokes, but I do not agree that this is a sad ending. I didnt hear anyone refer to the guy who was on a run for murdering an innocent victim on camera "sad" so why is it "sad" that Hernandez killed himself, is he not a convicted murderer? Odin Lloyds ending is sad and the beginning of this tragedy. Hernandez ending is not sad. That is not a one liner or a joke, just how many will feel. I understand your request, but saying this is a "sad" ending is not the word choice I would have used. This wasnt an innocent man who killed himself like many who do, this was a murderer. I hope you are not comparing his suicide to other suicides that are truly sad. This whole sequence of events is a tragedy. I am sure many will have different views, but this is not sad ending for myself.

Sad ending to a tragic story. 

Please be respectful with comments here. Suicide is an enormous issue in society. Please do not use this space for jokes or one liners.

Thanks.

J
Fixed.  You're wrong here, Joe.  There is nothing sad about this.  If he had killed one person in a fit of rage due to the person killing a family member and then committed suicide I would agree.  That was not the situation with Hernandez.

Murder is also enormous issue in society. To clarify, are you telling us to be respectful of a murderer? I will be respectful in not stomping on his grave or making one liners or jokes, but I do not agree that this is a sad ending. I didnt hear anyone refer to the guy who was on a run for murdering an innocent victim on camera "sad" so why is it "sad" that Hernandez killed himself, is he not a convicted murderer? Odin Lloyds ending is sad and the beginning of this tragedy. Hernandez ending is not sad. That is not a one liner or a joke, just how many will feel. I understand your request, but saying this is a "sad" ending is not the word choice I would have used. This wasnt an innocent man who killed himself like many who do, this was a murderer. I hope you are not comparing his suicide to other suicides that are truly sad. This whole sequence of events is a tragedy. I am sure many will have different views, but this is not sad ending for myself.
I think Joe was referring to it being a sad and tragic situation all the way around.  Mainly for the victims.  He isn't insinuating that he feels empathy towards Hernandez.  That's at least how I took it.  I am in total agreement with what you said.

it's sad that he took others lives. suicide, in general, is a sad thing; no one should ever feel that desperate. when murderers do it, I look at it as the cowards way out. for aaron... he was a pretty bad person. his crimes have obviously got the best of him and he was unable to live with it. the real loser here is his family. it's sad for them going through this. and the victims families. some may not have closure because of this either. 

What's sad about it is that it is sad for Hernandez's family.  They've been through so much.

it's sad that he took others lives. suicide, in general, is a sad thing; no one should ever feel that desperate. when murderers do it, I look at it as the cowards way out. for aaron... he was a pretty bad person. his crimes have obviously got the best of him and he was unable to live with it. the real loser here is his family. it's sad for them going through this. and the victims families. some may not have closure because of this either. 
:goodposting: This is what Joe was trying to convey.

What a wasted life.  This guy had so much opportunity for himself and his family, and could have made an incredible positive impact on others given his background.  Instead he made some horrifically bad choices that damaged so many other people right up to the very end.  It's a shame a better person couldn't have gotten the same chances that he squandered.

I know they try to keep things from you in prison that would facilitate suicide. How are the bed sheets not made to rip if weight is applied to them for this very reason?

It shouldn't matter if you're really trying to prevent suicides. Otherwise, you're just allowing a loophole for the cowardly way out.
To honor Joe's wishes, I won't "lol", but I will say that I am fine with that loophole.  No telling how many tax dollars he just saved.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/14/hometown-link-double-life-aaron-hernandez/JA34t8HVP3srfqakDqHb1K/story.html

You hear about the amazing stories in the NFL, the Michael Ohers, and other success stories where they just needed someone who wanted to help them and want what's best for them. This is one of the tragic stories.  Aaron's dad passed away and instead of a nurturing, helpful figure he got a mom tied up with illegal gambling, an ex-con step dad, and gang members from Bristol.  Some people can leave all that behind when they reach college or the NFL, but he never let it go and it consumed him.

Hopefully this can become a lesson that can help people in the future. Kids coming from really rough areas make it to college or the Pros and still have that element around, and people in their lives can point to what happened to Hernandez and maybe turn their lives around.

I agree with Joe that this whole thing is a classic Greek or Shakespearean tragedy from the Hernandez family dynamic years ago up through now. No need for people to crack jokes over someone that clearly had a lot of demons and issues and left a wake of people and families he impacted. One would think that people got the wise cracks and puns out of their system over the past 3-4 years.

I agree with Joe that this whole thing is a classic Greek or Shakespearean tragedy from the Hernandez family dynamic years ago up through now. No need for people to crack jokes over someone that clearly had a lot of demons and issues and left a wake of people and families he impacted. One would think that people got the wise cracks and puns out of their system over the past 3-4 years.
Tell that to the families of his victims.  I'm not seeing many jokers or wise cracks.  I still see the outrage over a miserable human being.

Hi Mavis,

Thanks for asking for clarifying. What I'm asking is to do what you said, "I will be respectful in not stomping on his grave or making one liners or jokes"

Thanks.

J

Suicide is a very serious issue for many.  Most people who commit suicide are fighting inner demons or have other health issues.  My best friend committed suicide 5 years ago and it's a terrible thing that affects the entire family and friends.

Hernandez's suicide is not like other football players in the past.  It's very unlikely he was suffering from CTE or any other health issues.  The man most likely just wanted a way out of the hell he created.  He knew he'd spend the rest of his life in prison and didn't want to live that way.  I do not feel any remorse for him, I will save that for his family and the families of his victims.

I disagree with this.  Some will say he had demons or was mentally ill.  I think some people are just naturally bad.  Some want to go against society.  Some value themselves above all other people.  Some crave power and will do anything they can to achieve it and keep it.  He didn't grow up poor or without parents, he had every chance to live a completely normal life but he chose this path on his own.

Suicide is a very serious issue for many.  Most people who commit suicide are fighting inner demons or have other health issues.  My best friend committed suicide 5 years ago and it's a terrible thing that affects the entire family and friends.

Hernandez's suicide is not like other football players in the past.  It's very unlikely he was suffering from CTE or any other health issues.  The man most likely just wanted a way out of the hell he created.  He knew he'd spend the rest of his life in prison and didn't want to live that way.  I do not feel any remorse for him, I will save that for his family and the families of his victims.
Agree with most of your post.  I'm not going to try to turn this into a sympathy thread for AH but there could easily be mental health issues as a result of losing his father when he was young.  That's when the drugs and gangs started that led him down this path to become a bad person.  I certainly feel the most sympathy for his daughter and all the families affected by all the poor decisions that were made but I also do feel a little bad that AH lost his father at a young age and went down the wrong path too.

Agree with most of your post.  I'm not going to try to turn this into a sympathy thread for AH but there could easily be mental health issues as a result of losing his father when he was young.  That's when the drugs and gangs started that led him down this path to become a bad person.  I certainly feel the most sympathy for his daughter and all the families affected by all the poor decisions that were made but I also do feel a little bad that AH lost his father at a young age and went down the wrong path too.
There is a possibility that he had mental health issues but I'm not sure I believe that.  I may be wrong but it's not worth debating I suppose.  What's done is done.  Hopefully his family can make it through this ok.

And to clarify, I think it's sad in its entirety. The story as it's played out has been unspeakably crushing for the families and those connected to people Hernandez killed. But I feel for Hernandez' family and those close to him as well. And even Hernandez himself. I understand many don't feel this way, but I take no joy in his life ending. 

But on a bigger scope, for people who've been affected by suicide in some form or who may even be having thoughts of it themselves, a suicide story in the news can be intensely personal and emotional. A high profile story like this can drag back up lots of emotions as people deal with their own history. It feels like a time for caution and maybe restraint. Thanks.

And to clarify, I think it's sad in its entirety. The story as it's played out has been unspeakably crushing for the families and those connected to people Hernandez killed. But I feel for Hernandez' family and those close to him as well. And even Hernandez himself. I understand many don't feel this way, but I take no joy in his life ending. 

But on a bigger scope, for people who've been affected by suicide in some form or who may even be having thoughts of it themselves, a suicide story in the news can be intensely personal and emotional. A high profile story like this can drag back up lots of emotions as people deal with their own history. It feels like a time for caution and maybe restraint. Thanks.

Very true.

I disagree with this.  Some will say he had demons or was mentally ill.  I think some people are just naturally bad.  Some want to go against society.  Some value themselves above all other people.  Some crave power and will do anything they can to achieve it and keep it.  He didn't grow up poor or without parents, he had every chance to live a completely normal life but he chose this path on his own.
I'm not saying AH was a good guy or that his behavior was excusable. He made his choices and was not a good person. Go look at the comments on other sites. Some people are acting like 12 year olds. The point being, the AH story is not a happy one and IMO today is not the day for people to be cracking one liners. People can hate him all they want, but this is Joe's site, and I don't think it is asking too much to show some modicum of respect to his wishes.

I'm not saying AH was a good guy or that his behavior was excusable. He made his choices and was not a good person. Go look at the comments on other sites. Some people are acting like 12 year olds. The point being, the AH story is not a happy one and IMO today is not the day for people to be cracking one liners. People can hate him all they want, but this is Joe's site, and I don't think it is asking too much to show some modicum of respect to his wishes.
I agree.  I've been tired of all the jokes for a while now.  Not sure why some actually think it's funny repeating the same jokes.

Couldnt agree more with this. Sad in its entirety, but we will have to agree to disagree on if the ending is sad or not for Hernandez. I definitely feel for his child and Lloyds family as they are reliving this again. 

No one is joking about this, I have not seen one post where jokes were made but I have seen you get upset about it multiple times now. I see people asking Joe to clarify some of his words on what is "sad," but I do not see anyone upset that they can not make jokes or even belaboring it. I understand the will of some to run to the defense, but the "people can hate him all they want" line Anarchy? Thats escalating an issue where there isnt one and assuming people hate someone.  Where did that even come from? It is his site, but that should never have any bearing on if they can or can not disagree with him on a view. No one is disputing having decorum on this thread, they are just disputing the true sadness and what parts of it are sad. 

Couldnt agree more with this. Sad in its entirety, but we will have to agree to disagree on if the ending is sad or not for Hernandez. I definitely feel for his child and Lloyds family as they are reliving this again. 

No one is joking about this, I have not seen one post where jokes were made but I have seen you get upset about it multiple times now. I see people asking Joe to clarify some of his words on what is "sad," but I do not see anyone upset that they can not make jokes or even belaboring it. I understand the will of some to run to the defense, but the "people can hate him all they want" line Anarchy? Thats escalating an issue where there isnt one and assuming people hate someone.  Where did that even come from? It is his site, but that should never have any bearing on if they can or can not disagree with him on a view. No one is disputing having decorum on this thread, they are just disputing the true sadness and what parts of it are sad. 
You obviously haven't read the other thread about Hernandez then.

You obviously haven't read the other thread about Hernandez then.
No I have not and dont care to if its all jokes. Not the intention of this discussion, but part of the true harsh reality is some people are not sad that a murderer is gone. Death is not a joke, but it is real just like the consequences of every death and Hernandez caused sad endings to lives and caused others to waste their talent.

What angers me is comparing this POS to the actual victims who never had the chances in life that this worm had.

All suicides are not the same.
It appears people are walking back saying suicide. I have ESPN on and they are not even saying "suicide." They are saying pronounced dead and hanging by sheet. They are being very careful to not call it that now. Seems very odd. People on Twitter are changing their tune as well. I guess there is some scepticism or they are waiting for the confirmation of how he died before just assuming. 

Not entirely convinced its a suicide:

"The family and legal team is shocked and surprised at the news of Aaron's death," Hernandez's lawyer Jose Baez said in a statement. "There were no conversations or correspondence from Aaron to his family or legal team that would have indicated anything like this was possible. Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence. Those who love and care about him are heartbroken and determined to find the truth surrounding his untimely death. We request that authorities conduct a transparent and thorough investigation.

Also, Hernandez's former agent, Brian Murphy, said Wednesday morning there was "absolutely no chance" Hernandez took his own life.

"The family and legal team is shocked and surprised at the news of Aaron's death," Hernandez's lawyer Jose Baez said in a statement. "There were no conversations or correspondence from Aaron to his family or legal team that would have indicated anything like this was possible. Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence. Those who love and care about him are heartbroken and determined to find the truth surrounding his untimely death. We request that authorities conduct a transparent and thorough investigation.

Also, Hernandez's former agent, Brian Murphy, said Wednesday morning there was "absolutely no chance" Hernandez took his own life.
I said to my wife this morning: you know... I don't know if I'm watching too many movies but it just screams a case of where the criminal is acquitted and the guard leaves the keys in the cell door so the prison king pin sneaks in there and hangs him or something. 

I wouldn't be surprised, but again, I've seen a lot of movies

:lmao:   In other words......Baez & Murphy: 'There's still money to be made off this guy.'

I said to my wife this morning: you know... I don't know if I'm watching too many movies but it just screams a case of where the criminal is acquitted and the guard leaves the keys in the cell door so the prison king pin sneaks in there and hangs him or something. 

I wouldn't be surprised, but again, I've seen a lot of movies
Ya I don't get the hanging part though.  Unless he was killed in another way first.

A contrary point to this theory though is that apparently his suicide would void his conviction and since he was mid-appeal, by the letter of the law, he would die an innocent man.  I could see him maybe wanting this inner peace (if it brings him that in some weird way) and that it may have some financial positives for his family.

Hey Murphy.... Hernandez tried to block the cell door from the inside by jamming the door with various items, Fallon said.

Ya I don't get the hanging part though.  Unless he was killed in another way first.

A contrary point to this theory though is that apparently his suicide would void his conviction and since he was mid-appeal, by the letter of the law, he would die an innocent man.  I could see him maybe wanting this inner peace (if it brings him that in some weird way) and that it may have some financial positives for his family.
So does that mean the prison executed an innocent man? Or was he still guilty when they killed him and only became innocent as soon as he was dead? just want to clarify it because we could be executing many innocent murderers these days. Or at least I'm told that in the death penalty thread.

I feel bad for his brother a guy who looks a lot like Hernandez but he stayed out of trouble and was on his way to being on a college coaching staff until his brother killed someone it took him a long time for him to just get a job as a HS coach. Its a shame the way one person horrible act can affect so many other peoples lives

I feel bad for his brother a guy who looks a lot like Hernandez but he stayed out of trouble and was on his way to being on a college coaching staff until his brother killed someone it took him a long time for him to just get a job as a HS coach. Its a shame the way one person horrible act can affect so many other peoples lives
I read a story about him on Sports Illustrated, the sadness is as you said, that it hurts those around him. 

Users who are viewing this thread