What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
No reason Harbaugh shouldn't roll with him for at least another week. And he looked fantastic vs. the Bears, not just with his rm but with his legs as well. If he's going to keep starting, he should be on your roster and possibly in your starting lineup.

:drive:

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew he could run, but he showed me a lot with his arm tonight.Impressive.
He always displayed that hose at Nevada. The accuracy is what's pleasantly surprising.
His release is good too...well, I guess everyone looks quicker after seeing Leftwich
LOL. Leftwich is like when we used to go to the batting cages back in the day when they had the mechanical arms. Except the machines had a quicker delivery.

This kid is going to be good. I'm going to pick him up in redraft in case Eli can't rebound and say hello to his dynasty owners to see what the going rate is now.

Harbaugh not committing to starting Alex Smith, in fact he seems to be leaning towards CK if I am reading between the lines at the after game press conference on NFLN right now.

I agree with the impressive statement. He look like a seasoned vet out there. Some of it was scheme, but I think he gives the 49ers a very difficult offense to defend. Because of his ability to scramble, Vernon Davis was able to be a lot more of a receiver too. The 49ers look like a team that can beat anyone when they are on.

As a Niners fan, I'm on board. I went into this game thinking there was NO WAY there should be talk of a QB controversy. Alex has been playing good ball, got us to within a play of the Super Bowl last year, etc. On top of that, the team is winning. Why risk upsetting the rhythm this team has going?

Well, after tonight, I throw that all out the window. I am sold on the Kaepper. I was excited each and every time the SF offense took the field, and after nearly a decade of game management, I'm hooked on that excitement. I want to be excited again for next week at New Orleans.

Harbaugh not committing to starting Alex Smith, in fact he seems to be leaning towards CK if I am reading between the lines at the after game press conference on NFLN right now.
SF fish wrap hack Lowell Cohn tried to bait Harbaugh on Kaep being the reason why Vernon Davis had a big game as opposed to the past few with Alex Smith starting. Harbaugh nibbled at it a bit, but did admit that VD hasn't got the touches the last few. Kaep in his first start was really decisive. Of course it's just one game, and confidence can waver if he has a tougher game later, but he ran that offense pretty damn well, and audibled into successful plays. His arm is way better than Smith's. He could push Smith to play more aggressive which could go positive, or back to bad Alex.

The offense looks much more dynamic with a guy who wants to push the ball too.

SF fish wrap hack Lowell Cohn tried to bait Harbaugh on Kaep being the reason why Vernon Davis had a big game as opposed to the past few with Alex Smith starting. Harbaugh nibbled at it a bit, but did admit that VD hasn't got the touches the last few. Kaep in his first start was really decisive. Of course it's just one game, and confidence can waver if he has a tougher game later, but he ran that offense pretty damn well, and audibled into successful plays. His arm is way better than Smith's. He could push Smith to play more aggressive which could go positive, or back to bad Alex.

Instead of being thrown to the wolves he has had about 26 games plus the playoffs to study everything, he has been involved heavily in the offense as he had designed plays to keep him in the mindset of the game, this is the best way for most QBs to really succeed in the NFL who do not have the rocket arm of an Andrew Luck for instance. Other teams should look at what can happen when you show patience. SF has a great problem on their hands, only can be good things for the playoffs. Don Shula always had a quality back up QB whether it was Earl Morrel, Don Strock, or Scott Mitchell, it always paid to have someone in the bullpen to have on hand.

Instead of being thrown to the wolves he has had about 26 games plus the playoffs to study everything, he has been involved heavily in the offense as he had designed plays to keep him in the mindset of the game, this is the best way for most QBs to really succeed in the NFL who do not have the rocket arm of an Andrew Luck for instance.

Other teams should look at what can happen when you show patience. SF has a great problem on their hands, only can be good things for the playoffs. Don Shula always had a quality back up QB whether it was Earl Morrel, Don Strock, or Scott Mitchell, it always paid to have someone in the bullpen to have on hand.
1. Andrew Luck does not have a rocket arm or anything close to it.2. How many teams in the NFL have the luxury of being patient with QB's? Not many. Its a win now business. Not saying it's the right thing esp. for the QB position but look around the league now. Several young QB's are playing that have no business starting. Several QB's were taken much higher than I expected because of the lack of quality starters in the last few drafts. It says something about the league and position GM/HC's are being put in right now.

Coming out of college Kaepernick showed he was athletic with a good arm. He played very well tonight. Only negative thing I can say is that their isnt much tape on the guy. Obviously that can be viewed as a good & bad statement in terms of how the Bears defense played against him.

Bottom line is I liked what I saw but we'll see who things play out in the coming weeks. Alex Smith was playing well recently and got this team to the NFC Championship game. The 49ers arent benching Smith in my opinion but like you said, it appears they have another option waiting in the wings.

Instead of being thrown to the wolves he has had about 26 games plus the playoffs to study everything, he has been involved heavily in the offense as he had designed plays to keep him in the mindset of the game, this is the best way for most QBs to really succeed in the NFL who do not have the rocket arm of an Andrew Luck for instance. Other teams should look at what can happen when you show patience. SF has a great problem on their hands, only can be good things for the playoffs. Don Shula always had a quality back up QB whether it was Earl Morrel, Don Strock, or Scott Mitchell, it always paid to have someone in the bullpen to have on hand.
The 49er offensive playbook just got a few more pages added into the game plan with Kaep behind center. Smith holds that offense back with his game manager play. Smith takes a lot more sacks than he should. Not saying Kaep won't take sacks (because the system is all about protecting the ball rather than forcing it) also, but Smith's completion rate has a lot to do with sacks. At least Kaep will throw a ball away. The 49er offensive system works better with Kaep. Amazing how fast they got that system working too.

I'm sold on him over Alex. The 49ers have the potential for a dynamic offense to go along with that defense with Kaepernick at the helm. With Smith, it will never be anything more than a steady offense.

Ok, I'll do it.

What has Harbaugh really said to indicate he will start Kaepernick if / when Smith is healthy? I missed the press conference but it sounds like he was non-committal on returning to Smith from the above comments.

If so, how does this jibe with two years of 'stand by your man' comments and building up Smith?

I'm a fan of Kaepernick, count me among those not too surprised by tonight. But:

- Smith has had these games, yes he has.

- The Bears were just not themselves. The 9ers D was all over Campbell, they never had a shot and the 9ers dictated the entire flow of the game. Easy pickings.

- It was in San Fran. Friendly confines.

- This is a playoff team. Is SF really going to go into the playoffs with a 2nd year QB who by then will have had what 6 starts under his belt?

Smith has done nothing wrong. This is not Blaine Gabbert & Henne here. In fact, K'nick did not have nearly as good of a game as Henne.

All the FF'ers are happy with how Davis reemerged. Ok, but as I remember it the problem with this offense was that the receivers weren't involved. If other teams bracketed Davis, that was pretty much it. So it's back to Davis now?

This is how the 9ers treat team leaders who sit out a game? Ok then.

Messing with the starting QB on a winning team midstream can really be a sketchy thing.

I'm not saying Harbaugh won't, but the 9ers can keep rolling just as well with Smith (do you really think tonight would have gone any differently with a healthy Smith?) and bring in Kaepernick start of next year.

Ok, I'll do it.What has Harbaugh really said to indicate he will start Kaepernick if / when Smith is healthy? I missed the press conference but it sounds like he was non-committal on returning to Smith from the above comments.If so, how does this jibe with two years of 'stand by your man' comments and building up Smith?I'm a fan of Kaepernick, count me among those not too surprised by tonight. But:- Smith has had these games, yes he has.- The Bears were just not themselves. The 9ers D was all over Campbell, they never had a shot and the 9ers dictated the entire flow of the game. Easy pickings.- It was in San Fran. Friendly confines.- This is a playoff team. Is SF really going to go into the playoffs with a 2nd year QB who by then will have had what 6 starts under his belt? Smith has done nothing wrong. This is not Blaine Gabbert & Henne here. In fact, K'nick did not have nearly as good of a game as Henne.All the FF'ers are happy with how Davis reemerged. Ok, but as I remember it the problem with this offense was that the receivers weren't involved. If other teams bracketed Davis, that was pretty much it. So it's back to Davis now?This is how the 9ers treat team leaders who sit out a game? Ok then.Messing with the starting QB on a winning team midstream can really be a sketchy thing. I'm not saying Harbaugh won't, but the 9ers can keep rolling just as well with Smith (do you really think tonight would have gone any differently with a healthy Smith?) and bring in Kaepernick start of next year.
I agree with all of this, BUT... hard to ignore how the Niners offense looked tonight. To me it seems like they've gone stagnant on offense with Alex Smith. And welcome back to "catching passes" Vernon Davis.I for one was shocked to see the full playbook on display. No holding back at all for the 49er play-callers tonight.

Ok, I'll do it.What has Harbaugh really said to indicate he will start Kaepernick if / when Smith is healthy? I missed the press conference but it sounds like he was non-committal on returning to Smith from the above comments.If so, how does this jibe with two years of 'stand by your man' comments and building up Smith?I'm a fan of Kaepernick, count me among those not too surprised by tonight. But:- Smith has had these games, yes he has.- The Bears were just not themselves. The 9ers D was all over Campbell, they never had a shot and the 9ers dictated the entire flow of the game. Easy pickings.- It was in San Fran. Friendly confines.- This is a playoff team. Is SF really going to go into the playoffs with a 2nd year QB who by then will have had what 6 starts under his belt? Smith has done nothing wrong. This is not Blaine Gabbert & Henne here. In fact, K'nick did not have nearly as good of a game as Henne.All the FF'ers are happy with how Davis reemerged. Ok, but as I remember it the problem with this offense was that the receivers weren't involved. If other teams bracketed Davis, that was pretty much it. So it's back to Davis now?This is how the 9ers treat team leaders who sit out a game? Ok then.Messing with the starting QB on a winning team midstream can really be a sketchy thing. I'm not saying Harbaugh won't, but the 9ers can keep rolling just as well with Smith (do you really think tonight would have gone any differently with a healthy Smith?) and bring in Kaepernick start of next year.
I agree with all of this, BUT... hard to ignore how the Niners offense looked tonight. To me it seems like they've gone stagnant on offense with Alex Smith. And welcome back to "catching passes" Vernon Davis.I for one was shocked to see the full playbook on display. No holding back at all for the 49er play-callers tonight.
Kaep tonight showed quite a few things over Smith, like reading defenses and going through his progressions. Kaep already has a lot more throws than Smith has, has better wheels, and I was surprised by his mechanics and poise in the pocket. His upside is huge over Smith's ceiling in this offense.

Hype trains are cool and all but I would like to see him do it for 4-5 games when DC's are planning for him.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
What is so funny?
You.
Thanks...I guess.
Hype trains put guys like Russell Wilson in Canton already. :pics:
Not yet, but he is clearly on his way. I did say "Hype Trains are cool and all". So this one gets its start Week 11.

He looked great tonight. He's got top-five fantasy potential the rest of the way, IMO. First he's got to be named the starter for week twelve, but that really should be a foregone conclusion at this point.

Let's not forget also that Urlacher is a shell of his former self since his knee issues, and he simply cannot run with these elite TEs... The Bears had to make adjustments accounting for Davis and Kaep was able to hit some big shots outside...

Not saying Kaep doesn't deserve a ton of credit, but Harbaugh and Greg Roman shouldn't be discounted here :shrug:

I'm very happy to have him at a Round 20 (undrafted) value in my keeper league. I'm fairly sure Harbaugh will try to stick with Smith the rest of this season, but watch out after that.

Vernon Davis said in the presser he "can't choose sides" over which QB should start. He later said that he felt the handcuffs were taken off of him since the past four games. He said the plays were the same plays they ran over the past four games, but the ball never goes his way. This time they did, and said that Kaep's TD pass to him was Tom Brady like, throwing into a tight window.

Kaep also dislocated Moss' finger on a dropped pass that was thrown a bit too hard.

I think Vernon already took a side here. Dude was gushing over Kaep's play tonight. He called Kaep a playmaker. To me, it's not so much Kaep being the next Big Thing at QB in SF in so much as a QB who is willing to make throws and can make those throws. That's whats missing in the 49er offense. Sure Smith can dink and dump off that makes this passing offense more workmanlike than explosive, but this offense has a whole lot more gears than we see with Smith behind center.

Doesn't make sense when you have a player like Davis and are too afraid to deliver the rock to him.

I'm still all in on Kaep. And he played like this on MNF, with everyone watching. Looks like Harbaugh is living up to his QB Guru label.

Like someone else said, I too was excited every time SF's offense hit the field with Kaep under center. Really fun to watch, and as a Niner fan, what I saw tonight helps the sting of missing out on Andy Dalton in the draft last year. This kid has the tools and a good head on his shoulders, the sky's the limit when it comes to his upside.

Guess we will see how it shakes out.

CHI really missed Jay Cutler behind center last night. The 49ers did not miss a beat without Alex Smith. In fact, they went from Sib Hasbian to Vinnie Colaiuta.

I'm still all in on Kaep. And he played like this on MNF, with everyone watching. Looks like Harbaugh is living up to his QB Guru label.

Like someone else said, I too was excited every time SF's offense hit the field with Kaep under center. Really fun to watch, and as a Niner fan, what I saw tonight helps the sting of missing out on Andy Dalton in the draft last year. This kid has the tools and a good head on his shoulders, the sky's the limit when it comes to his upside.

Guess we will see how it shakes out.
Dalton would had been starting since he was more 'Pro ready' than Kaep if they nabbed him. I thought Kaep would start to shine in Year 4. I'm really impressed by him after last night. He set tempo perfectly, his pre-snap reads picked apart the Bears defense, and his footwork in the pocket was there.

Is it me or did he just make Frank Gore even better? At the start of the game, they had 9 guys within a couple yards of the LOS. Their plan was to stop the run. After a few deep passes shredded them, Frank & Hunter had plenty of room and big holes to run thru.

If you're in redraft and a couple of weeks from the end of the regular fantasy season, this may be an extremely important waiver week for you. My fear is that if I bet the farm on Kaepernick and the coach goes the other way, not only do I have a useless asset, I've also paid a huge opportunity cost in terms of the Hennes, Hillmans and Browns that might also be on the wire this week.

Is it me or did he just make Frank Gore even better? At the start of the game, they had 9 guys within a couple yards of the LOS. Their plan was to stop the run. After a few deep passes shredded them, Frank & Hunter had plenty of room and big holes to run thru.
Gore averaged 4.6 ypc last night. He's averaging 5.3 ypc this season. Yes, the Bears are a very good defense but Gore has been fantastic all year. The holes have been there since week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread