Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

1. Here is the complete list:

http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736257/colin-kaepernick/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Here is the write up of Kaepernick done by Jim Harbaugh:

Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick was alone in his early protests last year when he boldly and courageously confronted perceived inequalities in our social-justice system by refusing to stand for the national anthem. At times in our nation's history, we have been all too quick to judge and oppose our fellow Americans for exercising their First Amendment right to address things they believe unjust.

Rather than besmirch their character, we must celebrate their act. For we cannot pioneer and invent if we are fearful of deviating from the norm, damaging our public perception or—most important—harming our own personal interests.

I thank Colin for all he has contributed to the game of football as an outstanding player and trusted teammate. I also applaud Colin for the courage he has demonstrated in exercising his guaranteed right of free speech. His willingness to take a position at personal cost is now part of our American story.

How lucky for us all and for our country to have among our citizens someone as remarkable as Colin Kaepernick

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

Kaep is the second worst.

You're number 1.

• Like 6

Bold and courageous. What a joke. He wasn't even courageous enough to stand up to his militant girlfriend and because of her/that he is out of a job. Well that, and he sucks ###.

• Like 2

Enjoy unemployment there, Kap.   

He is going to find out that once the NFL year starts and he still isn't on a team, nobody will give him an ounce of attention--let alone a platform to state his thoughts. 

First off, if I were looking for somebody to give me a ringing endorsement, Jim Harbaugh is NOT the guy I'd choose. Harbaugh's a great football coach but a lousy human being IMO, so anybody whom he likes, I'm automatically suspicious of. 

Second, this is a terrible choice, because the most noteworthy aspect of this guy's protest was that it was NOT influential in any way, either for or against. The biggest reaction I saw was a loud collective yawn- nobody really cared one way or another. 

• Like 2

He is, no question. While I didn't agree with his venue of protest, I respect his right to do so... thought I lost respect for the man when he said he didn't vote. Then it's a worthless, hypocritical and moot voice.

That said, the HYSTERIA a number of PC snowflakes show on this matter is ridiculous.  If you won't support a team or player for protest, but you are ok with wife beating, gangbanging, violent crime, abdication of responsibility for their kids and the like, you are far more pathetic than Kaep ever was.

Just now, Da Guru said:

I agree that Kap was bold at first..but after a few weeks when nobody cared anymore he stopped talking about it.  Then after becoming a FA and looking for a job he backtracks and says he will stand from now on meaning that his not standing was OK while under contract and getting paid. Now he will tow the line to get a new deal...and I don`t blame him.

I'd much rather the Giants have signed Kaep as their backup than Geno freakin' Smith. Geno is an immature selfish and self absorb ####### who is a cancer in his own locker room.  Kaep just let things get away from him with a well intended but poorly executed vein of protest (made much worse by the fact that the guy didnt even vote)

1 minute ago, Koya said:

He is, no question. While I didn't agree with his venue of protest, I respect his right to do so... thought I lost respect for the man when he said he didn't vote. Then it's a worthless, hypocritical and moot voice.

That said, the HYSTERIA a number of PC snowflakes show on this matter is ridiculous.  If you won't support a team or player for protest, but you are ok with wife beating, gangbanging, violent crime, abdication of responsibility for their kids and the like, you are far more pathetic than Kaep ever was.

Why would it be one or the other?  Seems like you could not support a player for any number of reasons.

Just now, jonessed said:

Why would it be one or the other?  Seems like you could not support a player for any number of reasons.

I agree.  But that's not the case in almost every instance I've come across.  People will "not support any team" that brings on Kaep.  But are 1000% ok with the other issues I mentioned.

Second, what do you consider worse? Kaep's silent protest or beating you wife and/or abandoning your children and/or being involved in violent gang activity and crime?  

The way I see it is if you want to be puritan about it, don't root for any.  But if you root for the latter but will "protest" Kaep, that says a lot about a person's priorities, and it's not good. 

The world needs more people like Kaep :shrug:

So far he has spread out $600k worth of donations to charities and still plans to donate another $400k. 

1 minute ago, Koya said:

I agree.  But that's not the case in almost every instance I've come across.  People will "not support any team" that brings on Kaep.  But are 1000% ok with the other issues I mentioned.

Second, what do you consider worse? Kaep's silent protest or beating you wife and/or abandoning your children and/or being involved in violent gang activity and crime?  

The way I see it is if you want to be puritan about it, don't root for any.  But if you root for the latter but will "protest" Kaep, that says a lot about a person's priorities, and it's not good. 

It depends on the circumstances.  A lot of this stuff is he said/she said or in their past.  People like Rice or Lewis would obviously be worse.

I dislike Kaepernick because I think he's a self-entitled jerk.  I felt that way before his protest though and I already disliked the Niners so it was pretty easy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

So far he has spread out $600k worth of donations to charities and still plans to donate another $400k. 

Yet he didn't contribute anything prior to last year.

Harbaugh: "perceived inequalities in our social justice system"

endorsement of his guy, sure - but, the cause?  maybe not so much.

3 minutes ago, Phase of the Game said:

Yet he didn't contribute anything prior to last year.

:shrug:

Colin Kaepernickicon-article-link.gif continues to raise awareness for Camp Taylor, a charity that offers several programs for young people and families of children with heart disease.

The cause is special to the San Francisco 49ers quarterback as his parents lost two children to heart disease at a young age.

Kaepernick helped bring even more attention to the foundation's efforts by hosting his second annual "Against All Odds" golf tournament, an event that included an appearance from teammate Bruce Millericon-article-link.gif .

Kaepernick has been a big supporter of Camp Taylor ever since he joined the NFL in 2011. The 49ers signal-caller often visits Camp Taylor's "Heart Camp" and he continues to help raise funds for the charity.

"Ultimately I haven't been through things that they have," Kaepernick told the San Jose Mercury News. "So for me, I try to support them as much as I can and show them they're great kids."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonessed said:

It depends on the circumstances.  A lot of this stuff is he said/she said or in their past.  People like Rice or Lewis would obviously be worse.

I dislike Kaepernick because I think he's a self-entitled jerk.  I felt that way before his protest though and I already disliked the Niners so it was pretty easy.

I think you are being a bit obtuse.  Yes, in some cases it's he-said she-said. In LOTS of cases we know there are wife beaters and those who have used violence in the past, and proven examples of players not owning up to their financial (if not fatherly) responsibilities for their kids.  This isn't a grey area, it's known facts.  Yet people continue to root for these players and teams.  Let's not pretend otherwise. 

Again, no need to like Kaep nor root for him. And i can understand if some won't root for him because of his public stance and protest. that's not my point. My point is a vast majority of the people who state as such show no willingness to hold players accountable for FAR WORSE actions. 

Which, as I said, speaks volumes about their priorities. 

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Here is the complete list:

http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736257/colin-kaepernick/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick was alone in his early protests last year when he boldly and courageously confronted perceived inequalities in our social-justice system by refusing to stand for the national anthem. At times in our nation's history, we have been all too quick to judge and oppose our fellow Americans for exercising their First Amendment right to address things they believe unjust.

Rather than besmirch their character, we must celebrate their act. For we cannot pioneer and invent if we are fearful of deviating from the norm, damaging our public perception or—most important—harming our own personal interests.

I thank Colin for all he has contributed to the game of football as an outstanding player and trusted teammate. I also applaud Colin for the courage he has demonstrated in exercising his guaranteed right of free speech. His willingness to take a position at personal cost is now part of our American story.

How lucky for us all and for our country to have among our citizens someone as remarkable as Colin Kaepernick

What is the take on twitter about this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Here is the complete list:

Colin Kaepernick

What is the take on twitter about this?

• Like 1

If a guy doesn't want to stand on the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem, give him a break.  I haven't heard this much bellyaching from people since starbucks stopped putting merry christmas on their cups. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, timschochet said:

First off, if I were looking for somebody to give me a ringing endorsement, Jim Harbaugh is NOT the guy I'd choose. Harbaugh's a great football coach but a lousy human being IMO, so anybody whom he likes, I'm automatically suspicious of. 

Second, this is a terrible choice, because the most noteworthy aspect of this guy's protest was that it was NOT influential in any way, either for or against. The biggest reaction I saw was a loud collective yawn- nobody really cared one way or another. 

WTF???? :lmao: 

Is there a backstory here I missed?

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 2

opting out oh his contract was the dumbest move of all time - what did he think was going to happen? Maybe he knew what would happen and he just doesn't want to play anymore?

8 minutes ago, Koya said:

I think you are being a bit obtuse.  Yes, in some cases it's he-said she-said. In LOTS of cases we know there are wife beaters and those who have used violence in the past, and proven examples of players not owning up to their financial (if not fatherly) responsibilities for their kids.  This isn't a grey area, it's known facts.  Yet people continue to root for these players and teams.  Let's not pretend otherwise. 

Again, no need to like Kaep nor root for him. And i can understand if some won't root for him because of his public stance and protest. that's not my point. My point is a vast majority of the people who state as such show no willingness to hold players accountable for FAR WORSE actions. 

Which, as I said, speaks volumes about their priorities. 

I don't have a problem with fans rooting for teams with some bad apples.  Most teams have at least a few.

There are obviously acts committed by players that are far worse than what Kaep did (if you think he even did anything wrong). I wouldn't like or support those players either.

Like I said, I never liked him or the 49ers so I'm probably not the best example.

Edited by jonessed

2 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Did HellToupe finally break the hamster?

3rd time I did that on my phone . Thank god for the delete option

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Koya said:

For the first part, why would he vote if he thought both candidates were equally bad for his cause. 

The second part, I totally agree. Guys who have done far worse get cheered and celebrated as heroes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RBM said:

For the first part, why would he vote if he thought both candidates were equally bad for his cause. 

The second part, I totally agree. Guys who have done far worse get cheered and celebrated as heroes. 

Who are you?

13 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Who are you?

A thoughtful, reasoned and balanced member of this online commun..... WAIT... 

ok, who got hold of RBMs handle? :boxing: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

I think it's a typo.  It should be intercepted and not influential.   

He had 16 TDs last year with only 4 interceptions. His TD to INT Ratio was 7th best among QBs, better than Brees, Luck and Big Ben:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/touchdown-to-interception-ratio/2016/

1 minute ago, humpback said:

If Kaepernick and a pigeon were both drowning, and you could save only one, which one would you choose?

Has the pigeon committed any crimes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

WTF???? :lmao: 

Is there a backstory here I missed?

He's a chicken####. Runs up the score, makes awful comments after the games. I don't like him, never have. Great coach though. 

1 hour ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Which includes the $100k announced today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704820-colin-kaepernick-foundation-announces-100000-in-donations-to-charities

Colin Kaepernick Foundation Announces $100,000 in Donations to Charities

The Colin Kaepernick Foundation, the charitable organization started by the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, has announced donations totaling $100,000 to multiple charities. 

Per USA Today's Tom Pelissero, Kaepernick's foundation pledged donations to Life After Hate, Inc., Leaders of a Beautiful Struggle and Silence is Violence.

Last year, in the wake of Kaepernick's protests during the playing of the national anthem before 49ers games, he announced he would be donating $1 million to various charitable organizations and communities.

Per Pelissero, this latest round of donations brings Kaepernick and his foundation 60 percent of the way to that $1 million pledge. 

In an Instagram post last November, Kaepernick noted he would be donating $100,000 per month for 10 months to reach the $1 million goal. His first donations were in October and have continued in the ensuing months. 

1 hour ago, Koya said:

Did I miss the part where people questioned his Constitutional rights?  This was never about that.  Nobody ever called for him to be arrested.  And who is ok with wife beating or violent crime?  What a bizarre post this is.

11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

He's a chicken####. Runs up the score, makes awful comments after the games. I don't like him, never have. Great coach though. 

Aren't you a fan of Jim Mora Jr's UCLA Bruins? :oldunsure: 

48 minutes ago, humpback said:

If Kaepernick and a pigeon were both drowning, and you could save only one, which one would you choose?

HFS :lmao::lmao::lmao:

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Did I miss the part where people questioned his Constitutional rights?  This was never about that.  Nobody ever called for him to be arrested.  And who is ok with wife beating or violent crime?  What a bizarre post this is.

No question as to who you are